Another thread about tipping thoughts and customs - Not how much $$ people tip

Joker54

Greetings all

Sorry for starting another thread on tipping. From things we have found on the last few cruises I feel that the DW and myself have been over tipping. We are from the states and my DW was a waitress in our younger years so tipping is something that we care about.

From what I have read we are not supposed to tip officers - which means that when we tipped the Retreat Concierge it was probably a tip that could have been saved or given to another crew member

Our friends from Down Under don't normally tip and when we visit our friends kindly remind us not to tip as they don't want it to get started:)

Also learned that the crew in Luminae pool their tips - we now take that into consideration. We now ask the Maitre D' of the specialty restaurants if they pool tips or not.

Our curiosity is not how much anyone tips as that is a personal decision. We are curious how folks feel about tipping and who they tip where service has been appreciated. It will be interesting to see the tipping thoughts from those not from the US.

We typically cruise in Suites, but not always. When we can afford it we book into the Iconic or PH. We feel like we should tip more just because of the size of the room and the level of effort needed to keep those clean and service the various amenities. Again, not asking for how much someone tips but whether they consider the level of effort when determining whether to tip more than when in rooms requiring less work.

Now that Celebrity has once again raised the daily tipping fee - X is basically giving those crew members who receive a portion a raise. With inflation that may not be a bad thing, but we are being forced to subsidize the pay where X is lacking in that department. The flip side is if we don't tip then the crew is punished for policies they have no control over. Our next cruise is this Sunday and we are going to ask Customer Service for the breakdown of how the daily tips are distributed.

Cheers to All

Steve and Andrea

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

From what I have read we are not supposed to tip officers - which means that when we tipped the Retreat Concierge it was probably a tip that could have been saved or given to another crew member

I would disagree with this. Anyone who provides me with personal service is worthy of a tip--officer or not. Oftentimes, the Luminae Maitre 'd is an officer and they're even part of the automatic tip pool. I'm fairly sure that Retreat concierges are part of the automatic tip pool as well. I often tip extra for both of those positions depending on the service provided.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As regards tipping in general,  that is how the ship’s payment/salary process works. So whether your country does or does not customarily tip should have zero impact on whether you should tip onboard.   As to extra tipping, I feel that is a personal decision.  My view is that these staff work way harder and longer than I ever did for far less money (and I worked hard, for often long hours!) So I will always tip even more for the excellent service I normally get. I don't vary extra tip amounts by size of room or amount paid, but rather by service provided. 

• Like 5

If service has been good we  always tip bartenders, cabin attendants and sommeliers extra.  We are usually in Blu or Luminae and give a envelop to the hostess or MaitreD with a tip for the staff;  the amount depends on how often we have dined there and the quality of the service.   We also tip the bartender and servers  in the Retreat Lounge.

On most cruises we really haven't had a Concierge do much of anything I would consider extra. Is making a single dinner reservation extra?  or having the Future Cruise rep come to the Lounge to meet us extra?  I am now pondering who is getting the portion of the SS daily gratuity that previously went to the Butler........um?

• Like 4

If we tip over and above our daily grats, it is always because someone has gone over and above to help make our cruise more enjoyable.  We never tip based on our room category alone, nor do we base our decision to tip on pooled tip amounts or who benefits from said pool.  I can't worry over what happens to my tip envelope after it leaves my hands but rather, have to trust that Celebrity's policies towards tipping are fair and just for all crew.  Finally, I've read here that many folks staying in suites tip their butlers on day one and then again at the end of the cruise.  We don't do this.  If we tip extra, it's always on the eve of debarkation day and only if we feel the service went over and above the gratuity we've already paid.  Given that our upcoming Sky suite experience no longer includes a dedicated butler, I can't really say how we will tip until we've experienced this change.

• Like 7

I do not want to incite a big debate but instead will share our personal feelings and practice regarding tipping.   As part of our booking  we are already paying paying $42.00 per day in gratuities.  

If someone is just doing their job and nothing more we do not feel they warranted additional gratuities.  If however a crew member goes above and beyond what their normal service is, we give additional gratuities. 

The age old debate on CC as whether tips are pooled or go to the individual weighs on us as we want the gratuity to go to the individual.    After discussing with many Officers and Restaurant Managers I've found what works to direct a tip to an individual. 

As relayed by a HR Manager who actually apply the additional tips from the additional tip form -  If you designate an amount to a position -  waiter, Butler etc then it goes to the Pool.   If however you write on the back the Person's Name, Location and Position they apply it directly to the person and send them a notice of the tip.  

Speaking to a couple Restaurant Managers I was advised that if I give the tip to a waiter or assistance waiter or the Restaurant Manager it goes to the Pool -  e.g Luminae Pool.    If you however put it in an envelope with the person's name on it they are free to keep the tip.   We had an especially good waiter on a B3B and wanted to make sure the tip went directly to him (we had already left additional gratuity) to the dining room.   I told him I wanted to make sure it went directly to him,  he chuckled and said yes It it is cash or pooled tips it goes in this pocket but if someone tells me it's for me only it goes in his other pocket. 

One other thing I learned from the Maitr'd from Murano.    I was dining there free as a RS benefit and at the end of the meal asked the waiter if I could have a blank invoice.   The Maitr'd came over and said just wanted to let you know if you charge the tip to your seapass it goes to the pool of all restaurant staff in the ship but if I leave cash it is shared between Murano staff only.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If we tip over and above our daily grats, it is always because someone has gone over and above to help make our cruise more enjoyable.  We never tip based on our room category alone, nor do we base our decision to tip on pooled tip amounts or who benefits from said pool.  I can't worry over what happens to my tip envelope after it leaves my hands but rather, have to trust that Celebrity's policies towards tipping are fair and just for all crew.  Finally, I've read here that many folks staying in suites tip their butlers on day one and then again at the end of the cruise.  We don't do this.  If we tip extra, it's always on the eve of debarkation day and only if we feel the service went over and above the gratuity we've already paid.  Given that our upcoming Sky suite experience no longer includes a dedicated butler, I can't really say how we will tip until we've experienced this change.

Share your belief's 100%.    

I have never pre - tipped -  to me that seems like a bribe and expectation of something above and beyond.    I can say that with our butlers it is more of an effort to have them not do things like leaving extra food and nibblies unless we specifically want them.    I'm a grazer and if food is there it somehow ends in  my stomach whether I wanted it or not.

On the other hand if someone feel they get better service by pre-tipping I support their decision 100%

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I do not want to incite a big debate but instead will share our personal feelings and practice regarding tipping.   As part of our booking  we are already paying paying $42.00 per day in gratuities.  

If someone is just doing their job and nothing more we do not feel they warranted additional gratuities.  If however a crew member goes above and beyond what their normal service is, we give additional gratuities. 

The age old debate on CC as whether tips are pooled or go to the individual weighs on us as we want the gratuity to go to the individual.    After discussing with many Officers and Restaurant Managers I've found what works to direct a tip to an individual. 

As relayed by a HR Manager who actually apply the additional tips from the additional tip form -  If you designate an amount to a position -  waiter, Butler etc then it goes to the Pool.   If however you write on the back the Person's Name, Location and Position they apply it directly to the person and send them a notice of the tip.  

Speaking to a couple Restaurant Managers I was advised that if I give the tip to a waiter or assistance waiter or the Restaurant Manager it goes to the Pool -  e.g Luminae Pool.    If you however put it in an envelope with the person's name on it they are free to keep the tip.   We had an especially good waiter on a B3B and wanted to make sure the tip went directly to him (we had already left additional gratuity) to the dining room.   I told him I wanted to make sure it went directly to him,  he chuckled and said yes It it is cash or pooled tips it goes in this pocket but if someone tells me it's for me only it goes in his other pocket. 

One other thing I learned from the Maitr'd from Murano.    I was dining there free as a RS benefit and at the end of the meal asked the waiter if I could have a blank invoice.   The Maitr'd came over and said just wanted to let you know if you charge the tip to your seapass it goes to the pool of all restaurant staff in the ship but if I leave cash it is shared between Murano staff only.

Good info., Jim!  Thank you.  I didn't know the part about writing the crew member's name on the envelope.  Will start this practice on our upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Great info Jim. Exactly what we were looking for. We also appreciate you and the others who have posted for taking the time to share their thoughts.

We knew tips on the sea pass went to the pool and I have complained about that non-stop. I am certain there are many who think it goes to the waiter.

When we tip a waiter we have always done so in cash. Now that we know that cash may end up in the pool we will change to using the envelope with the associates name along with a thank you card.

Cheers

• Like 2

I am glad that the cruise lines have increased the range of people included in the tip pool, as opposed to the old days when we were given four (?) envelopes for Cabin Steward, Waiter, Bus Boy and Maitre De.  Maybe Wine Steward as well?  Cooks and pool-side staff and others should share, in my never-humble opinion.  I know that many disagree.  

The Guest Services people still have envelopes for those of us who wish to tip additional cash to various people, and I almost always tip extra for the cabin steward.  My wife loves to sleep late while on vacation, and she often does not vacate the cabin until noon.  This interrupts the cabin steward's schedule, and we recognize this by tipping him extra.  If we have the same dining room staff several nights, the service is often such that we wish to tip extra.  These are tipped extra with cash in an envelope (addressed to the steward/waiter by name) and a statement "this is for you for all the wonderful care you've given us."  I've always thought that that is enough for the tip to go to the individual I am tipping, and I think Jim's information is in accord.

As to bartenders and cocktail servers, I tip cash as the service is rendered, and I do not know (or really care) if the tip is pooled or individual.  I live in a tipping environment and would never even think of not tipping a cocktail waitress.  Despite the 18% (or whatever the number is).  But the skimpy uniforms that the cocktail waitresses in Vegas wear are far more likely to generate tips!  

Personal choice, personal philosophy.  I am blessed to be able to afford to be generous.  So I reward great service above and beyond the auto-gratuities.  

• Like 4

I think of it like insurance, I give the porter a $5 regardless if I'm solo with one bag or with Ms. Nuts and have four bags.  You never know if the porter's significant other broke up with them or they receive some other bad news and they decide to act out  

I then give the cabin attendant a $10 as in my experience they tend to bend over backwards for you and don't seem to fish for tips.  Generally tip a dollar per drink yet not if it's just water.  Leave the auto-tips on and may tip those who go above and beyond

• Like 3

Only sail IC and EV (so only their new ships). Other than the usual gratuities for our stateroom type, we always provide additional gratuities to the two people closest to us: butler and room steward.

Then again, we let them both excel at what they do and work everything through them that we need or desire.

Always had unflinching service and always tip the evening before disembarkation.

Having said this, we are very, very generous toward our stateroom team.

• Like 3

It is interesting to read the differing thoughts and philosophies!

I also try to tip as I go in Al Bacio.

And I have been told that in Luminae and other restaurants that the Sommelier does NOT share in the restaurant tip pool, so I always tip that person separately.

• Like 3

For the most part, I consider the auto-gratuities to be sufficient.  I don't typically make any special requests that would lead me to giving additional tips.  However, I took my first solo cruises this past summer (not on Celebrity, but I will be solo on Celebrity next year), and I felt that the cabin stewards had almost as much work in my cabins as they would for cabins occupied by a couple - a bed to make, a bathroom to clean, a floor to vacuum, dirty towels to swap for clean, a waste basket to empty - but would be receiving half the usual gratuities.   Thus, I gave them a significant amount of extra cash, in envelopes with their names on it.  

I hope they got to keep it all, but I long ago accepted that I would never know for a fact how the cruise lines compensate their staff and allocate gratuities.   

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 1

We generally over-tip everywhere on land.  People are working  hard at service jobs. They are.doing it to earn money not just for fun and we ususlly have great servers 

On the ship,   we have cut back a bit due to the "pooling" issues.  In BLU we will now give to maitre d for his team!  Sep for sommelier.  Not sure what we'll do when we next  have the 4 mdr plan..try for same servers ???

at a bar we tip extra as we go..

• Like 1

As people mentioned it is a personal thing on tips.  I watch a lot, all staff, it’s my background from running hotel and restaurants and do appreciate the work they are doing.  I will give extra if warranted and have always done the envelope with name on it.   I understand how ships work and the different lines do tips.  I also make sure when going to a different county I understand the different tipping customs.  It’s really a personal thing.  With celebrity the one thing I have always gotten is exceptional service by staff.  

• Like 1

Another thing we have done especially for a Host in Retreat is buy a nice local artisan silver or gold necklace from one of the ports.  

They have always loved the special gift.   One which we have sailed with many times, pulled it out of her blouse when we arrived and said did you see the lovely necklace one of my favorite guests gave me.... Then gave us a big hug and said she always thinks of us when she puts it on.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RichYak said:

I would disagree with this. Anyone who provides me with personal service is worthy of a tip--officer or not. Oftentimes, the Luminae Maitre 'd is an officer and they're even part of the automatic tip pool. I'm fairly sure that Retreat concierges are part of the automatic tip pool as well. I often tip extra for both of those positions depending on the service provided.

RichYak, DH would agree with you!  If the Luminae Maitre D' gives DW what she wants and thus she is happy, DH has a great vacation. 😂  (So we do tip the Maitre D' accordingly.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tip extra.  Sometimes up front.  On land a dollar or two to a bartender.  On ship if I’m already paying 18% I don’t feel the need to tip unless they find that bottle of special Scotch they’ve been hiding.  We tip all the usual people.

On our last cruise the maitre’d was the problem in Luminae.  We watched him check on all the guests around us and ignore us for most of the cruise.  So I wanted to and did tip the staff but I was not thrilled to tip the maitre’d.

The sommelier was a nice guy, disappointing though.  It started off well when he opened a bottle of French champagne for me so I could have a glass.  But next time he said he couldn’t.  We still tipped him.

I tend to stick with the auto tips. I've given extra to our cabin attendant and our butler. I've never asked enough of the Retreat concierge to tip extra. And I've never asked a Maître 'd do anything above and beyond. (The places on land where the Maître 'd COULD do that I know I'm not even in the bidding pool...)

I'm now really curious about something that will be unanswerable. In the US, managers cannot participate in a tip pool. In some states they can accept a tip if and only if they alone provided the service (and even then I'd hope they'd drop it in the tip jar anyway). And I realize it's different, but 30 years in a military uniform as a commissioned officer make me psychologically incapable of tipping an officer. You eat last...

Since much of the shipboard tipping culture seems to be a direct derivation of US customs and law, does anyone know for sure that the Maître 'd or Retreat concierges are part of the automatic tip pool? I think of the Maître 'd as more management than direct service; the Retreat concierge is a bit of both so I would tend to tip them (like I would at a hotel) if they did something special. The Retreat functions largely as an extension of guest services, and does anyone try to tip them? Giving me an MTA map and circling the subway stops is just doing their job. Getting me last minute good seats to Hamilton is tippable at a percentage of what the tickets cost (never did that, but...). I just haven't had that kind of experience on any cruise on any cruise line.

I generally assume tips are pooled and think it's appropriate. It's pretty rare that only one individual helps me. It is a little different on the ship as there's something of a culture of one server/one assistant covering a single table, but not universally. In most nicer restaurants where I've eaten there's a team, and clearly there's an agreed to structure for distributing tips. And I have to think that even if the person in Luminae accepts your cash tip, they'll be tipping out (sharing the tip with) others who help them. The sommelier seems to always be the outlier. In nicer restaurants on land the sommelier typically takes over all drink service (at least once you invoke the sommelier) and I assume receives a share of the gratuity proportionate to the wine and alcohol charges. Harder to figure on the ship, especially with drink packages. What I've normally seen (three Celebrity cruises so far, so a limited set of observations) is the server may bring a cocktail, but the sommelier usually handles the wine.

And given the variety of experiences and opinions (polite, I might add!) on this thread from a group who all live in a tip obsessed country, is it any wonder our friends from cultures that don't normally tip are confused?

• Like 2

The sommelier in Luminae on the Beyond was not a great help.  I am perfectly capable of choosing between the $10 / bottle of Lodi, CA or the Modesto, CA reds on the “premium” wine list.   Give me something better and I’ll be much more inclined to tip you.  Kidding aside there were better wines but not much better.

We don't take nearly as much into consideration as the OP is. We feel that our expected and customary gratuities are taken care of by the daily gratuity. That is how the ship advertises it and we don't worry about who it is actually going to or in what amount. The employees have a contract and know how much they will get paid, however that pay gets into their paycheck. We only tip extra when someone provides service above and beyond what we expected. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

We don't take nearly as much into consideration as the OP is. We feel that our expected and customary gratuities are taken care of by the daily gratuity. That is how the ship advertises it and we don't worry about who it is actually going to or in what amount. The employees have a contract and know how much they will get paid, however that pay gets into their paycheck. We only tip extra when someone provides service above and beyond what we expected. 

Exactly, keep it simple why worry.  

• Like 1

We are usually in Retreat and gratuities have always been included.  We tip extra at end of cruise if we receive great service.  Usually stateroom attendant, butler, waiter and assistant waiter.  Sometimes the sommelier if they are very good.  Once in a while someone else who has gone above and beyond normal job duties.  I always give them a handwritten thank you note with cash.  I never give anything at the start of cruise as I consider that a bribe.  

Now that gratuities are not included in AI we will still tip those who have been exceptional but I don’t think it will be as much.  We will see.  

• Like 1

If I ask for the room steward to do something special daily at the start of the cruise, like ice twice daily etc, I don’t consider slipping them a $20 at that time a bribe, I consider it a payment for requested services above and beyond the norm.  

That said, everyone needs to be comfortable…you’re on vacation. I do like they daily gratuities instead of the envelope line…

Bartenders etc, I tip in cash as I go.  I assume that bar pools the tips..bar backs gotta get a little love too. 🙂

• Like 2