How often do you take a Celebrity cruise?

georgiaguy

How often do you cruise with Celebrity?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you cruise with Celebrity?

• 1 time a year
    • 2 times a year
    • 3 times a year
    • 4 times a year
    • 5 times a year
    • More than 5 times a year

Celebrity gets my patronage once per year, and only on their newest ships and only in ICs or EVs. Always phenomenal service and inclusives. Celebrity does their IC and EV suites supremely well.

I have about eight weeks per year to allocate for trips by land and sea, often in conjunction with a Cunard, Regent, or Celebrity itinerary.

Looking at my next Celebrity cruise on Beyond in an IC, an 11-night Panama Canal & ABC Islands, I could do the same cruise five times over in one of their euphemistically named Sky "Suites" or almost 20 times over in a veranda stateroom.

But, those ICs are awesome! Worth every penny. EVs are darn close in terms of memorable.

We had never cruised Celebrity before January this year and have another booked for next month, so I guess our count is two (we took a third cruise on another line).

Some of us Gen X-ers are still working full-time and even though I get six weeks of vacation per year we only travel for about three. Since we live in a tourist destination we like to take advantage of all the things to do near home and still get to sleep in our own bed. 

• Like 1

I did a cruise on Celebrity in 2017, none in 2018-20, one in 2021, two in 2022, and one in 2023 so far.  I have one scheduled for 2024.

I should note that the '23 and '24 cruises, and one of the '22 cruises, are music charters - which is to say that the primary reason those sailed on Celebrity was that the charter company chose Celebrity to charter the ship from.  

Also, I have a booking for a '25 music charter that used Celebrity ships in the past but are not because another charter got there first.  

I currently have 6 booked on Celebrity, most are over 10 days long. If you asked me a year ago it was 14 cruises booked on Celebrity and 1 on Silversea - just to try them out. I now have 2 booked on MSC with the kids/grandkids and enough on Silversea with my spouse to exceed the 100 day mark that will grant me free laundry and a 5% discount. My go to cruise lines were typically Celebrity (and sometimes Princess) when traveling as a couple and Royal with kids/grandkids. Now I am trying other lines mostly because of the increased pricing on Celebrity and I am getting to old for the art auctions, constant photographers, loud music spilling into venues...  in addition to being nickel and dimed even when staying in an upper suite. Having said that, I just did 16 day Galapagos trip on the Flora and it was great!

13 minutes ago, billc23 said:

I currently have 6 booked on Celebrity, most are over 10 days long. If you asked me a year ago it was 14 cruises booked on Celebrity and 1 on Silversea - just to try them out. I now have 2 booked on MSC with the kids/grandkids and enough on Silversea with my spouse to exceed the 100 day mark that will grant me free laundry and a 5% discount. My go to cruise lines were typically Celebrity (and sometimes Princess) when traveling as a couple and Royal with kids/grandkids. Now I am trying other lines mostly because of the increased pricing on Celebrity and I am getting to old for the art auctions, constant photographers, loud music spilling into venues...  in addition to being nickel and dimed even when staying in an upper suite. Having said that, I just did 16 day Galapagos trip on the Flora and it was great!

How were you nickel and dimed ?
Never notice this on our April TA ,

Didnt really  noticed the photographers at all 

IN our early post-retirement days we used to favor booking a cruise with X every year to year and half.  Then we cruised with NCL and found their product superior to X's....especially because we were taking spring break cruised with our elementary aged grands.

Our last cruise with X was in 2017 from Tokyo to Vancouver aboard the Millie.  It was very good, but again spring break lead us back to NCL and the Haven.  

We have a 2024, 50th Anniversary Greek Intensive Cruise book with X.  We only booked with X because they had the right itinerary at the right time, with the class of suite we wanted.

17 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

How were you nickel and dimed ?
Never notice this on our April TA ,

Didnt really  noticed the photographers at all 

One example, our room included free speciality dining which in the past had no uncharges for the better cuts of beef, the seafood tower at the Porch, etc. In January on the Reflection this was the case but on the Millennium in February one week in the PH cost north of $17,000 for the  2 of us and I was charged $15 extra for a not too great ribeye in Tuscan grill. 

"It isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it’s the grain of sand in your shoe." 

The TA sailings are different in many ways than the week long Caribbean sailings.

Edited by billc23

4 minutes ago, billc23 said:

One example, our room included free speciality dining which in the past had no uncharges for the better cuts of beef, the seafood tower at the Porch, etc. In January on the Reflection this was the case but on the Millennium in February one week in the PH cost north of $17,000 for the  2 of us and I was charged $15 extra for a not too great ribeye in Tuscan grill. 

"It isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it’s the grain of sand in your shoe." 

The TA sailings are different in many ways than the week long Caribbean sailings.

Ok , thank you , 

we usually just do TAs and than spend a week in Europe either before or after the cruise 

we have no interest in a Caribbean cruise 

4 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

3 times a year but I wish they could do more Friday to Monday 

If I lived close to a cruise port I definitely would do some of those, did a few 2 and 3 night cruises many decades ago when I lived in New York City.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

So how do you count a 14 day cruise vs a 3 day cruise?  Multiple cabins vs just 1?

Not scientific so just listening for general info really. Promise this isnt about you, you just sparked the curiosity. I like data. I find it interesting. It is one of the things I really fell in love with in college studying poli sci. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Very good question!  We have 3...a b2b and an Alaska for 2024.  All were booked back in the spring.  The rest of our 2024 cruising outlook is up in the air ATM.  We generally like to take a spring and a fall cruise but have nothing booked for fall of '24.  We have a Med cruise booked for spring 2025 but not with Celebrity.

7 hours ago, hcat said:

agree.. used to be  3,  then 2 .. then covid  zeroed it all out.

Now have 3  booked..Ascent  Silhouette and APEX..  

7 hours ago, hcat said:

agree.. used to be  3,  then 2 .. then covid  zeroed it all out.

Now have 3  booked..Ascent  Silhouette and APEX..  

We have researched many of the other lines (that we thought might have what we are looking for in a cruise experience) but have learned that everything considered, X is a good fit for us.  We have 8 cruises with booked going out to May 2025.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It would be more informative to do the same poll by age group.  As my theory was that older cruisers cruise more vs millennials due to income and time.

That could be an interesting poll as well. If you put it up I will participate.

I guess I could technically say two because I am going on a Royal cruise in Jan but that is work related and wasnt something I picked or planned so I didnt count it. We did pick our Mar cruise though. We were looking at a Mexico trip for something different but the price was right for the Ascent cruise so we went with that. We are a little more limited as well because we have two young kids under 5 (on still under 3) and have decided to not spend a lot on vacations with them until they are older and will actually enjoy the experiences a little more. So they spend time with grandparents and cousins during the cruise.

Edited by georgiaguy

Pre-Covid we would cruise on Celebrity 2 - 4 times per year.  We did our first post-Covid cruise in May 2023.  Have one cruise booked on another line in December 2023.  Back on Celebrity in January 2024.  We’ll see how it goes.  Have seen some negative food reviews due to menu changes.

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So how do you count a 14 day cruise vs a 3 day cruise?  Multiple cabins vs just 1?

The question is, how often do you take a Celebrity cruise? Based on that, 3 day cruise is 1, and a 14 day cruise makes it 2. If the question was how many days, the answer would be 17. I don’t know where the multiple cabins comes into play.

22 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow! I wouldn't think the majority here have as many as 20.  In fact, that's likely an outlier.  I can see 3 to 5 though...and my bet is that like us, many of those bookings were made a while ago.

We have almost always sailed in suites on Celebrity.  And occasionally a suite on RCCL.  The last was a CS on Equinox in January which used the last of our FCC.   Typically 3-4 booked in advance.  With prices way up and service cutbacks, we canceled the ones we had booked in 2024-25.  This was actually a big step for us.   Rebooking on other lines.  And we continue to focus on more land vacations.

• Thanks 1