The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 30th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Candy Corn Day, Mischief Night, and Checklist Day

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone? - James Thurber

Meal Suggestion for today - Pumpkin Chickpea Coconut Curry
Drink of the Day - Home Team Mojito
Wine of the Day - Hayes Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Belfast, Northern Ireland

Today in History:
1973 The Bosphorus Bridge in Istanbul, Turkey is completed, connecting the continents of Europe and Asia over the Bosporus for the first time

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg, St. Maarten eta 10-31

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera eta 10-31

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad, Aruba eta 10-31

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Dubrovnik, Croatia eta 10/31

Oosterdam

Cannes, France 0700-1700

Rotterdam

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 07:30 - 16:30

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Castro, Chiloe Island eta 10-31

Zuiderdam

Suez Canal

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vava'u, Tonga eta 11-01

Volendam

Vavau Islands Tonga, Neiafu 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Kobe/Osaka, Japan

1030World.thumb.png.ed8fed6ea62fb19987e67c8cadab67b1.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I hope Mischief Night is mild for all our dailyites.  Probably time for a checklist since I leave for my cruise (embark 11.12) 1 week from today.  I like candy corn but haven't had any for several years. 

While purely funny at it's time, the Thurber question is a valid one now.

I have not been to Northern Ireland.  That's quite a modern day in history.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Veal Parmigiana, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 30, 2014:

dishes30.jpg

A cold front coming through today.

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning dailyites live from the Eurodam.  

Another sleepless night in our 77 degree suite. 😪 

Overcast and humid here on the ship.  Dark black clouds so I expect we are in for a rainy day. 

No plans today as we head towards St Thomas.  They have no activities by the pool today for the second day in a row. Surprised as we had plenty on sea days on other HAL cruises.  

Dinner in the Lido was very good last night.  We had filets and real green beans! So nice to have a vegi. 🙂

Here is an aft pool pic at 4 am.

20231030_041856.jpg

20231030_041904.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  56 degrees here this morning with another sunny day expected and a high of around 80.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  Neighbor Brenda, who is back from their motorcoach sojourn across the US and into Canada, wanted to have another coffee klatch (peach iced tea for me) on my front porch today.  She thought it might be too chilly mid morning so said why not after lunch?  But the porch will be sunny and rather warm this afternoon so we may have to head to the back deck for some shade.  I'd better get the chairs and table wiped clean just in case.  Should be interesting to hear of all their adventures this past summer.  They even stopped long enough for an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver.

Well Halloween is rapidly approaching as evidenced by Mischief Night, and candy corn.  You only see candy corn at Halloween.  I'd rather have chocolate!!  Hope there's no mischief here or where you are either.  Checklists keep our lives organized but isn't it strange how we have a day set aside for every little thing?  I'm passing right by that quote!  I think that menu suggestion has gone a bit far in the odd ingredients put together, but let's see what Debbie can find.  I'm not a fan of mojitos or cabernet sauvignon so will pass.  I'm sure the Bosphorus Bridge was long awaited and very welcome, back in 1973.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their F&B reports today!

Prayers have been said already this morning for all on the Care list, for my family and friends in need of them and the list is long right now, for those where there is no peace and for the hostages taken.  I pray for better news for all involved. 🙏  Three cheers to all celebrating happy events in their lives, and those cruising or planning to.  🎉  May all at sea experience smooth seas and fair weather.🚢🥂  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your care and celebration lists every day!

No report on DGS's soccer game this weekend since it had to be postponed.  Apparently it poured rain Saturday and had been raining quite a lot this past week so the fields would be damaged even if it hadn't been raining.  I believe it was another Texas team and not a big deal to cancel it.  He was alone for the weekend while his parents went to LA for parent's weekend at elder brother's university.  No report back on that yet.  

The port today is Belfast, Northern Ireland.  This is the first time for that major port so no links again today.  We enjoy the British Isles cruises so have seen it 4 times and enjoyed all the visits.  I'll post photos in my second post.  I'm sorry to say I didn't see any photos yesterday of Maloy, Norway so I guess someone will have to go there and report back to us.  Thanks in advance to everyone for their photos today of Belfast.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Please try to stay safe and well!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, extubated, on CPAP 

Cruising sister’s DB for toe amputation 10/31

Smitty34877’s Tana with pneumonia

RIP Matthew Perry

Mass shooting victims in Lewiston, ME

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Acapulco deaths and destruction due to Hurricane Otis

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s DH having issues

Lazey1 still having symptoms from Covid

Rafinmd with elevated PSA

HAL Sailer’s DH recovering after hospitalization

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy extubated!

Mamaofami’s DH Sam discharged to home

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL discharged to rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Kochlöffel (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell

2 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell with a few days in Barcelona before

5 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Koningsdam Nov 4 to Nov 11, Classic CA Coastal)

6 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas Nov 5 to Nov 12, Bahamas/Perfect Day)

Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau), Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami), Seagarsmoker (Eurodam to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer), Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam to Nov 9, Adriatic Dream, celebrating 33rd anniversary onboard), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another week, hope it's a good one.

Cool and rainy today.

Not a fan of candy corn.  Mischief night was Doorbell Night when I was a kid, ring the doorbell and run away, silly fun.  Checklist Day?  So many chores, so little ambition.

Amusing quote.

I'll pass on the meal but would like the drink and wine.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a good day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Home Team Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Sour Apple Schnapps
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/2 part Simple Syrup
1/2 part Lime Juice
1 part Soda Water
14 sprigs Mint, Fresh
Carbonated Water

Instructions
Muddle mint leaves with lime juice and simple syrup. Top with rum, DeKuyper® Pucker® Sour Apple, and carbonated water.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 6.48.57 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

and thanks to Ann, Debbie, Dixie & Vanessa.

Interesting collection of days.  I seem to need a checklist every day or don’t get much accomplished.  Hopefully there is not mischief tonight 🤞 

IMG_1616.thumb.jpeg.3f66f76948991b85f47a7253cf00702e.jpeg

I hate to say no before I see the recipe, but I am pretty sure I will pass on the recommended meal today.  I’ll have to concoct something else.

IMG_1617.jpeg.75f88379935a7e541e85469025b5d812.jpeg

LOL on the Thurber quote 😂 

Great day in history.  The Bosporus bridge is really something 👍 

IMG_1615.thumb.jpeg.de98236e1a7389e13d028a6d86c671c8.jpeg

Doctor’s appointment today.  Looks like the snow will start while I am there so I had better remember to put the brush in the SUV.  Far more than what they were calling for yesterday.  I just have to hope they are wrong. 🤞 How can we go to lovely weather to this in less than 48 hours?  Depressing.

IMG_1614.thumb.jpeg.e1af873817af325fecfe90ef51e4b411.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries and those that need them. 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1613.thumb.jpeg.f04fa07f73ab6d3ad02322362e71b870.jpeg

Have a great Monday everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

It’s nice to see the port of Belfast, Northern Ireland because I’m sure a lot of you have great memories from there.  Or perhaps you’ve never been there before and would like a quick look at it.  Our first time there was in 2011 on Emerald Princess after a Baltic cruise followed by a transatlantic back to the States.  We were traveling with friends Susan and Scott.  The ship’s shuttle to downtown dropped us off across the street from City Hall.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We walked around City Hall grounds and noticed a stone commemorating September 11, 2001 with a tree planted just next to it.  There were some flowers laid there and some small American flags placed next to the stone.  Each time we’ve gone to Belfast we walk around the City Hall grounds and stop to see the stone and how big the tree is getting. 

A little sparse on the leaves here

After that we walked to a famous bar called the Crown Saloon (nowadays known as one of the Nicholsons Pubs).  It is practically across the street from the Grand Opera House on Great Victoria Street not far from City Hall. It seems everybody was there so since it was so crowded we went to a different bar nearby.  There is a Robinson’s Bar and a Brennan’s Bar one on each side of Crown Saloon. 

Robinson's Bar

We went in Brennan’s because Robinson’s had people waiting to get in too.  Everyone but me enjoyed a Guinness (I don’t drink beer) and we enjoyed conversing with a group of ladies celebrating birthdays.  Sorry this one is blurry.

The second time we were in Belfast was in May 2015 on Royal Princess with friends Sandy and Bob.  Due to high winds the ship had to wait all day to dock there.  It was 6:30 pm before we were cleared to leave the ship.  We took the first double decker shuttle bus to downtown.  Again we saw City Hall, the memorial stone and the tree which appeared larger than four years earlier.  That’s a good thing! 

You can read this one!

Across the road from City Hall, Belfast Metropolitan College.

This time we walked another direction, passing Victoria Square shopping mall.  We saw St. Anne’s Cathedral and Albert Memorial Clock which is tilting. 

Then on the route back we came upon the Merchant Hotel.  Some gentlemen standing on the verandah saw us stopped to take photos of the building and talking about it.  They invited us inside to see some of the beautiful renovations done recently.  It used to be a bank but is now a 5 star hotel.

One of them said his name was Conor Houston (man in middle of photo on the verandah) and he said his father had headed the renovations from the Ulster Bank building to the Merchant Hotel. He even took us to the vault in the basement.  There were many amenities available.  He said he had gone to school and spent a lot of time in Boston and since Bob and Sandy are originally from that area they enjoyed chatting a bit.  Conor also told us Belfast holds the U.S. in a special place in their hearts due to all that we have done for that city.  That was nice of him to say.

After visiting the Merchant Hotel, we walked back to the double decker bus and rode back to the ship.  We were late to dinner (late seating) but no one was there so the waiters were happy to see us and hear about our jaunt around town.

I'll continue with visits 3 and 4 in the second post.  There's lots to see in Belfast.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

The third visit to Belfast was on June 9, 2017 on Prinsendam.  We caught a peek at Captain Ane Jan Smit on the exterior bridge wing guiding us into the dock

We did the usual shuttle bus ride to downtown, always dropped off near City Hall.  We wandered by the Merchant Hotel again, the tilting clock tower, and saw an interesting building the Bittles Bar.  How’s that for squeezing a narrow building onto a narrow plot of land?

Here are a few of the interesting sights seen as we walked in the vicinity of Victoria Square shopping mall.

Fourth visit was on Sept. 9, 2018 again on Prinsendam.  Again they had the double decker shuttle bus to downtown, though if you needed a taxi there were British style taxis parked next to the buses. 

Once again I checked on the tree planted as a memorial to those lost on 9/11 in the U.S.  Looking strong!  It had been planted 6 years earlier on 9/11/2002.

It was a Sunday and we saw a vintage motorcycle club had the old bikes on display for all to see on City Hall grounds.  Some were from the 1930’s.

Then since no stores opened until 1 pm we wandered down to St. George’s Market, sort of a farmer’s market.  It seems everybody in Belfast was there because it was packed!  Lots going on!  In addition to what I show you here, there were fish vendors, butchers and produce sellers. We couldn’t have sat down to have a snack or refreshment if we wanted to because all seats were taken.  And it was pretty loud in there, too.  After taking a close look at all the displays we headed back to the ship on the bus. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me on all these photos, but I hope I showed you there's a variety of sights to see in Belfast.  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. Our dinner at the Grill was superb. Started off with a crudite of celery, radish and carrots. Followed by an ice cold salad with bleu cheese dressing. Then a cup of consommé beef broth. The USDA Prime beef was cooked to perfection (Pittsburgh Style) by my request. Followed by a seven layer coconut cake that was so lite and fluffy. A delicious meal topped off with an Irish Coffee. Without a doubt the best steak I have ever had at sea and possibly land for that matter.

We then went to the Grand Salon and watched the singers, dancers  put on an outstanding show entitled The King, Queen and Prince. Songs of Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Prince. This high energy show was over the top good.

We are tendering today in Shelburne, Nova Scotia and with a 90% chance of rain we are debating whether to just stay onboard.

Time to go get some of the wonderful freshly roasted coffee.

Thanks to all and enjoy your week. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.43e427d2637e9870d533fec3ecc3a652.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4447fb829f16775d84802f04cec57208.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.13de7d9a9f9baee3e0d985e091047fff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e5d736723ac586d9c3f832921c8af162.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.109c76cd247f21890d83fbacdac17c96.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.466d9a6a4b422199a6331652295e0874.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ed4b1aadff2eaab7945d0c83d94efcdd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.72baa4abed9fbda16a819bd09cb3fe6d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a6fb30709f9cc6ab3ae2f103cbca9434.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.

It is currently 8°C and cloudy but at least the rain has stopped.

Thank you for today's daily reports,lists,food & beverage information and photos.

I'm not keen on today's days or quote.

The food sounds tasty.

We had a great mini break in a hotel in Belfast and visited 

Titanic museum.

Crumlin Road prison.

Town centre shops.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The third visit to Belfast was on June 9, 2017 on Prinsendam.  We caught a peek at Captain Ane Jan Smit on the exterior bridge wing guiding us into the dock

We did the usual shuttle bus ride to downtown, always dropped off near City Hall.  We wandered by the Merchant Hotel again, the tilting clock tower, and saw an interesting building the Bittles Bar.  How’s that for squeezing a narrow building onto a narrow plot of land?

Here are a few of the interesting sights seen as we walked in the vicinity of Victoria Square shopping mall.

Fourth visit was on Sept. 9, 2018 again on Prinsendam.  Again they had the double decker shuttle bus to downtown, though if you needed a taxi there were British style taxis parked next to the buses. 

Once again I checked on the tree planted as a memorial to those lost on 9/11 in the U.S.  Looking strong!  It had been planted 6 years earlier on 9/11/2002.

It was a Sunday and we saw a vintage motorcycle club had the old bikes on display for all to see on City Hall grounds.  Some were from the 1930’s.

Then since no stores opened until 1 pm we wandered down to St. George’s Market, sort of a farmer’s market.  It seems everybody in Belfast was there because it was packed!  Lots going on!  In addition to what I show you here, there were fish vendors, butchers and produce sellers. We couldn’t have sat down to have a snack or refreshment if we wanted to because all seats were taken.  And it was pretty loud in there, too.  After taking a close look at all the displays we headed back to the ship on the bus. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me on all these photos, but I hope I showed you there's a variety of sights to see in Belfast.  

Excellent collection of interesting photos Sandi.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We are tendering today in Shelburne, Nova Scotia and with a 90% chance of rain we are debating whether to just stay onboard.

Your meal sounds delish.  I’m glad it is just rain in your port in Nova Scotia.

Snow is coming here (very unusual) and may hit Nova Scotia after us.  I hope not for your sake.  with luck it will melt 🤞 

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely & cool start to the day. 62, but no breeze - yet. Yesterday was a picture perfect day. 

Vanessa, praying that your medical team finds an answer to your pain. Thank you for sharing our happenings.  

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & getting ready for Halloween. For the first time, since moving here - I will have two trick or treaters. My neighbors and I have put together a map of houses for them to visit. I think the adults may be looking forward to it more than the little ones!

IMG_1901.jpeg.37f6801b8d75e197eacf408195ec69e3.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg.bf32fc8f0aa14529549dd414b10a6699.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg.410013d81d1133adb7161a6937ecb0a0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families and your support teams. Breathe. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying for you & DH. Don’t forget you. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Hayes Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

Consumers enjoy this California Cab. Easy to find & very easy on the budget. Online prices start at $9.99.

Winemaker notes

This Cabernet Sauvignon comes from select vineyards in California with warm days and cool nights. These vineyards are characterized by a long growing season which helps develop ripe and round fruit flavors. Each vineyard was harvested and fermented separately in upright stainless steel fermenters. Rack and return, which is the process of draining all of the free-run juice off the cap and then returning the free-run juice back over the top of the fermenter, was performed twice daily. This method increases color and tannin extraction and improves the mouthfeel through the integration of oxygen. This wine was aged for 12 months in neutral oak.
Flavors of red cherry, anise, and a hint of vanilla, abound in this Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine is well balanced with medium tannins, a smooth mid-palate and a spicy, coffee finish.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  This morning is wet with temperatures in the 50’s.  I’m sure I’d pass on today’s meal suggestion, I think chicken is what’s on today’s menu.  I might be up some candy corn after Halloween when the candy sale starts.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.daebe7507ecc6e01e9f511f4e6ac8c93.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 13

Good Monday morning. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

As a diabetic, I can say that I do love candy corn. Yes, I am THAT person. 

The weather here will be doing some interesting things. High today in the 60s, then it drops to the low 50s and upper 40s with some lows in the upper 20s. 

I will be in the office today. Lots to do this week. The it is off to another conference this weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

The Cat on My Head does friendly fill-ins; question about candy corn.

• Like 20
  • Haha 10

@StLouisCruisers Many thanks Sandi for sharing your Belfast visits with us. I still hope to get there. Hopefully Ren’s brother and parents have a productive look-see. 

I made some good progress yesterday working in the pantry, the storage room and on the box inventory spreadsheet - more difficult because we’re using a lot of boxes marked up from our previous move (some never unpacked 😟).  DH is almost finished with the spackle and repaint chore repairing the nail holes from our 100 pictures on the walls. Once the pictures come down it’s not a home anymore, just a place to stay. I’m getting excited to be on to the next chapter, but a little scared to think it’s my last chapter, so I’m not thinking about that. I don’t know how it’ll all get done but in 2 weeks from today the packers will be here to make it happen. Yikes!  

Family is coming tomorrow night from Seattle area, along with new cold weather!  I’m disappointed but they’ll enjoy their time seeing the sights. This is DH’s niece, only 3 yrs younger than I, and her friend. The niece retired from being a radio/electronics officer on cargo ships, a tough life at sea!  They are both life-long sailors and want to get to maritime history sights in this area. I’m so glad we can accommodate them even in our upheaval. I inventoried the freezer and I think it will work out almost perfectly. 👍

My heart turns to those in need here and the tragedies of the world.  I’m so happy for those getting good news or at least a break in the strings of calamities. 

Lots to celebrate, Life is Good!  So many cruisers planning prepping, or at sea!  Enjoy it all!  
I hope @seagarsmoker can get a fan!  I can no longer sleep above 75F, I remember as a kid with no AC we managed to sleep if it was under 90, but that was like a hundred years ago!  

Thanks all for being here!  Enjoy this precious day!  Maureen

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Brrrrrr!  Good morning from a cold central Texas. It is 39F and with the 20mph wind feels like 29F.  It's definitely not our typical fall weather.  The humidity is 89% with a dew point of 36F.  According to the weather app, it's been raining since about 5 am and should end in about 30 minutes.  I haven't checked to see how much rain we've received.  Our high today will be a warm (?) 47F and by tomorrow we should reach 57F.  I foresee another day inside.

We'll pass on the candy corn today.  Mischief Night was not a part of Halloween growing up in Texas.  We did not learn about it until we lived on the east coast for a few years.  I am a big fan of checklists, and have one for loading the motorhome and another for packing for cruises.  Even with the lists, we sometimes forget something.

The James Thurber quote has always made me smile.

Today's meal will definitely be a miss since the four listed ingredients are all things we are not fond of eating.  I like mojitos, but please make mine a regular one.  The Cabernet Sauvignon sounds nice and the prices is definitely nice.

We visited Belfast in 2016 and 2017 on the Prinsendam.  I'll share some of my pictures in a few minutes.

The completion of the Bosporus Bridge in Istanbul in 1973 helped people go from one side of the city to the other.  When we were there in 2011, again on the Prinsendam, there were still several ferries in operation.

@seagarsmoker  I'm sorry your suite is 77 degrees.  Have you gotten a fan to help make it feel a little cooler?

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, it looks  like the rain will end by tomorrow. Hopefully, the soccer field will be dry enough by Saturday

@kazu  Jacqui, while it feels like winter here, at least, we don't have snow here.  I hope the snowfall is light and that you can get home before it starts.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, enjoy your visit with your niece and her friend.  It sounds like things are moving along nicely as you prepare for the next chapter.

394647669_359057439795581_7406645973387232416_n.thumb.jpg.8cfb55ab9f0b794afff6328d915eccab.jpg

394937681_736954228479857_9054316254153053912_n.jpg.993ad267784e59423e3cb025096245a3.jpg

395335663_740215264820420_7935943369840563621_n.jpg.cb7fffedb5fb3dc342d9c3401bf109f9.jpg

395732987_804330604827683_4118900674752559447_n.jpg.42c95f62f9375202e46fafa6ace9f264.jpg

396276190_875441404144087_1503053901459188118_n.thumb.jpg.36d481495f7767af9a3833c7a7f8469d.jpg

396723353_638919858430179_7436809567978588659_n.thumb.jpg.b669c6001721e21516e9ccfa70a91e20.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Good morning.   I loved candy corn when I was a kid, still do but I avoid sugar.    Hopefully no mischief tonight.   @RMLincoln you are definitely rocking checklist day today.   A funny quote.   I will pass on today's meal, today's minty cocktail and wine sounds like a migraine.   Thanks for the photos of Belfast today @StLouisCruisers, the photos of the progress on the memorial tree are nice.   Something for you to look forward to every time you return to Belfast. 

Prayers for everyone in our group needing them today.  Prayers for the families in Maine who are missing loved ones and healing from the trauma of the mass shooting.  Prayers for all the people in war zones for no choice of their own and that they can successfully defend their territories.   Israel and Ukraine.   

We had a long afternoon at the casino yesterday but both our teams won though it wasn't easy for both the Vikings and Ravens.    We got to our usual dining room in the sports book and a loud rock band was playing in there.   We immediately headed to the brewery restaurant and sat at the bar.   I drank more Bud Light yesterday in one sitting than I have in my life.   The price we have to pay to watch an out of market foot ball game.   Today I am sitting at attention with a view towards my neighbors' house.  They are out of town and their furnace quit before they left.   I have their garage door opener to let the repairman into the house.   After that I have a Zoom today and tomorrow for an Environmental School put on the National Garden Clubs.  We are thinking of holding in person classes on the same topic so I am taking part to get ideas what we are getting in to.   Cold and gray here with snow possible for the kiddos tomorrow for trick or treat.   The hose is still out John procrastinated.   Next day to have a shot is Thursday.   Have a nice day everyone!   Nancy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

In the 1960s Mischief Night started to morph into Devil’s Night in Detroit, with arson replacing petty vandalism. It peaked at more than 800 fires one year in the 1980s, then was brought under control by as many as 50,000 volunteers who patrolled in their own cars, using mobile phones and CB radio to report suspicious activity.

The Reina Sofia museum is a block from my hotel and this morning the line to enter it reached to the hotel door. I’m going to try to visit it early in the evening. This afternoon, however, I have a timed ticket for the Prado. I spent the morning reading for my class and drinking coffee in the hotel’s rooftop lounge.

• Like 29

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Feels like the high winds have finally settled down and the ocean appears calmer today.

The last of my company leaves today. They wore me out.

@StLouisCruisers   Sandi thanks for all the great pictures of Belfast.  We are scheduled to go there next summer on the VOV. I have booked an excursion to the Giants Causeway.

I do like Candy corn but have not had any in awhile.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 27

We have been to Belfast twice, and I'll divide my pictures into two posts.  On August 20, 2016, the Prinsendam docked in Belfast.  First on our list of places to see was the Titanic Experience, so we got a black cab from the port to the museum.  I'd always wanted to ride in a London black cab, and I finally got to, just not in London.  The cab ride allowed us to beat the tour buses to the museum.

The Titanic Museum, which has taken a page out of Disney attractions, as you go through the museum in a moving "car".  The museum is interesting, but the pictures are not the best because of the lighting.

DSC06610.thumb.JPG.7912a80f82a35e98e5926cad5b428e47.JPG

The view of the slipway that was used in building the ships, and the Prinsendam in the background.

DSC06606.thumb.JPG.64dd32c35f768dab1831be9e9673a433.JPG

One of the buildings of the old Harland and Wolff shipyard and the two giant cranes used in shipbuilding.

DSC06604.thumb.JPG.ae83319de568224f0989eb45eab031d2.JPG

DSC09104.thumb.JPG.a9e6377bd934864311197153f9af16f7.JPG

Across the street from the Titanic Experience is the Nomadic, the last remaining ship from the White Star Line.  It was used as a tender in Cherbourg for the Titanic Passengers.  We returned later in the day to walk through the Nomadic.

DSC06609.thumb.JPG.630da92c5b9cbc3f799d2091271f0af7.JPG

DSC06643.thumb.JPG.15ed69cf9dcee6165a3d025ffb91298e.JPG

DSC06646.thumb.JPG.2c35078a3390232574ae83d2e35b9c01.JPG

DSC06649.thumb.JPG.1e57806fc2e67a1e2cab0073d1abfb71.JPG

DSC06661.thumb.JPG.febd2d448686c657993f18af0a177111.JPG

Ahead of the Nomadic is a Caisson used to close off the entrance to the dock.

DSC06664.thumb.JPG.e34f83cd3395994c671209cb49c5da51.JPG

DSC06669.thumb.JPG.fa464070dc6d301f2919abeddc44fbc1.JPG

DSC06670.thumb.JPG.8ea036cf9e718280319484fa04fd829d.JPG

From the Titanic Experience, we took the Ho-Ho for a tour of Belfast.  Just a few scenes from the Ho-Ho.  This is the Parliament of Northern Ireland.

DSC06615.thumb.JPG.735fcb3e5435cd24ae6bd1d80d5f24e2.JPG

DSC06616.thumb.JPG.6f0c09fe04d46050a99cfc96dfba22b1.JPG

DSC06621.thumb.JPG.a41517a19638d279e69b6ec2d2238af8.JPG

When the bus stopped at City Hall, we walked to a taxi stand and hired a taxi to take us to the Giants Causeway.  We took the mini bus from the visitor center down to the entrance.  Since it was getting late, we just saw the Giants Causeway from the bus.

DSC06638.thumb.JPG.74154a9897514109313464a31ee55db7.JPG

DSC06639.thumb.JPG.0d5a9a1a6bc88e7afe12c85117e51e6f.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4