Spring Break starting in March, but when?

Colleges start the last two weeks of February, and peak the second and third week in March (when there are more than 2 million students on break). Some states wrap spring break into Easter week, so it can last into April.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Late February to late April is American spring break

I agree with this.

@bayou cruiser If you're trying to avoid kids, you can take a long cruise during this same time frame (such as 9-11 nights.)  We've done that several times and had very few kids on the ship.

Just now, mslhb said:

My daughter’s spring break is always the last week of March. Agree I would avoid the entire months of March and April. I dream of the day we aren’t constrained by a school calendar!

Is SB really popular with kids going cruising? Where do they get all the money? 😂

• Like 1

AZ schools now going year round.  Spring break is Feb, summer break starts in early may.  Fall break is end of Sept.  East coast totally different.  Guess I'm saying school breaks are all the time.  I agree about longer cruises.    We try Jan, May, Sept, dec, but it's really a crap shoot.  Good luck

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I thought March 27 would be late enough to avoid it.  I was wrong. 

Nope, My Grand Kids always have last 2 weeks of March off. Then my Kids had midwinter Break in Feb and always had first week of April off. Even yrs later Ship had ton of Kids on that week last yr as some have it closer or follow Easter changing dates yr to yr.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mongo69 said:

Is SB really popular with kids going cruising? Where do they get all the money? 😂

A lot of families with kids in school take their family vacation during Spring Break  (high school and younger)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NJoynCruisin said:

AZ schools now going year round.  Spring break is Feb, summer break starts in early may.  Fall break is end of Sept.  East coast totally different.  Guess I'm saying school breaks are all the time.  I agree about longer cruises.    We try Jan, May, Sept, dec, but it's really a crap shoot.  Good luck

Great point. There are some systems that are year-round (and some that do it have "tracks" so one track is on break while the other 2 are in and they rotate) and more and more people are homeschooling - either with a parent teaching and/or using remote options. Not to mention people who pull their kids out for a vacation.

The only way to know you'll not run into kids on your cruise is to sail Virgin - or if there's another adult-only option that/those.

Just a quick note……last March 18 we took a quick 5 night on Brilliance (in Tampa) to celebrate our anniversary. That’s right in the middle of Spring Break….. yes there were some college kids, but we barely even noticed them at all. In fact, I had never even thought about the possibility of anything but a relaxing cruise and that’s what we had. 

Would it be like this on an Oasis class ship, probably not, but it’s possible to cruise in March and enjoy it 100%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Would it be like this on an Oasis class ship, probably not, but it’s possible to cruise in March and enjoy it 100%.

My wife is a teacher so nearly all of our cruises are during school breaks. Kids don't really bother us for a few reasons but mostly b/c they congregate in areas we don't frequent like the pool deck (we prefer the Solarium and it's not even to get away from kids, I just need shade and we like to chill not party).

It helps that we're easy going and not bothered by much so no judgment on those who would prefer to avoid kid-heavy sailings but we have enjoyed every cruise we've taken and most have had tons of kids onboard.

• Like 1