Denied Boarding at Port, with PITIFUL Compensation

SG65CB

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I don't book GTY cabins and I don't fly free on miles.  For airlines, I use my miles for upgrades.  If you get a ticket with miles you are a non-rev passenger.  Basically the treat you as if you are flying for free.

As someone who worked for large international airlines for over 40 years and had to deal with denied boarding at the sharp end, this is not true  at least not for large international airlines. Anyone on a free mileage ticket is a valued frequent flyer. Why would they upset their most valued customers. 

Nonrevs are staff, and even they get looked after if they are confirmed and away from their base station. 

We would offer a sweet deal to pax who would still make their onward connections if they travelled on the next flight. We always got volunteers 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, little britain said:

Or smart marketing to panic those who have Gtys to pay up for an allocated cabin number!

LB who aint' budging >> but does admit to checking out how much a 'real' cabin would cost on our upcoming cruise!  $902 more for 2 if you are wondering, for cheapest connecting balcony cabin.

Why does RCI offer gty cabins if they want people to pay more to pick their cabin?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, little britain said:

OK - this really is making mountain out of a molehill… 

Depends if it's your molehill . Plus doesn't it indicate something greater like a lack of customer care? 

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Much better compensation!  I'm glad Royal stepped up and did the right thing.  

I hope RC gets little credit for doing the right thing .... when they were shamed into it . I hope they offered the same deal to those that didn't go public with this shoddy treatment .

1 hour ago, cruisin from florida said:

This thread and the ones in other spaces would have been entirely different if RCCL had been smart enough to do that in the first place. I guess saving a few thousand bucks was worth the bad publicity and lost customers. As a customer and stockholder, I'm not impressed with the decision making here.

Exactly. It's not the mistake, it's the reaction to the mistake. 

I'd still like to know is RC overbooking or were cabins taken out of commission for some unknown reason . Frankly overbooking is not a terrible sin IF those turned away are fully satisfied volunteers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I would think you'd be the last ones they'd want to bump since they'd have to refund your flight.  

Why would they HAVE to refund the flight?  Is that part of the cruise contract?

Also, do we KNOW that the folks bumped were picked BECAUSE they had Guarantee cabins, or because they were the last ones assigned?  I'd be surprised if there were only 11 GTY cabins sold on the entire ship, so why did these folks get picked?  

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Why would they HAVE to refund the flight?  Is that part of the cruise contract?

Also, do we KNOW that the folks bumped were picked BECAUSE they had Guarantee cabins, or because they were the last ones assigned?  I'd be surprised if there were only 11 GTY cabins sold on the entire ship, so why did these folks get picked?  

Just a guess, but it could be because they lived local to the port.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, richstowe said:

If not why not announce the reason ?

Rarely if ever does RCI announce their reasoning behind some of their decisions. It makes total sense that they would NOT advertise that they have a sizable part of the crew quarantined with COVID.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read the whole thread on Reddit yesterday, and it is hard to know the whole story.  My whole question is why wasn't the letter dated?  I know that they said they were given it at the terminal, but it still seems odd that they would be no date on an official correspondence 🤔

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

This letter is being posted on EVERY.CRUISE.PAGE.ON.FACEBOOK.

The answer (probably accurate) added on one such page is:  There is an outbreak of Covid among the crew and they suddenly needed a section of cabins to isolate them.

Thus the last minute nature of not having enough cabins for the GTY cruisers.

I'm just going to repeat myself for those in the back rows.

THERE IS AN OUTBREAK OF COVID AMONG THE CREW AND THEY SUDDENLY NEEDED A SECTION OF CABINS TO ISOLATE THEM.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

I read the whole thread on Reddit yesterday, and it is hard to know the whole story.  My whole question is why wasn't the letter dated?  I know that they said they were given it at the terminal, but it still seems odd that they would be no date on an official correspondence 🤔

The date of the cruise is on the letter.  Maybe RC felt that was enough to tie it to their specific cruise?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I'm just going to repeat myself for those in the back rows.

THERE IS AN OUTBREAK OF COVID AMONG THE CREW AND THEY SUDDENLY NEEDED A SECTION OF CABINS TO ISOLATE THEM.

An unfortunate situation.  I suppose it would have been too hard to have the crew leave the ship, isolate in a hotel and pick them up when the cruise returned.  Maybe has something to do with visas etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, little britain said:

OK - this really is making mountain out of a molehill… we are all experienced cruisers here and in all our years of cruising how many times have we heard of this happening? 
Exactly.

LB who has 4 gty cabins booked in her upcoming 14 cruises.  

This happens several times a year. 

5 hours ago, SRF said:

I don't book GTY cabins and I don't fly free on miles.  For airlines, I use my miles for upgrades.  If you get a ticket with miles you are a non-rev passenger.  Basically the treat you as if you are flying for free.

That is just not true. In fact, most United States airlines actually make more profit by selling miles to partners and (especially) credit card companies than they make by selling tickets. They cannot afford to alienated the people who use affinity credit cards; those people are their bread and butter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SRF said:

That is so not true about frequent flyer miles.  DH and I just flew roundtrip from IAD to DFW and back to IAD in first class.  One ticket was on miles.  Plane was packed and first class was full both directions.  Flying on miles does not make you vulnerable to being  booted off.   

Edited by BND
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another UPDATE:

Another passenger who was bumped from the same cruise posted on Reddit. This person noted they had spoken with the OP at the port, then added:

...they gave us the news about not having room even tho we had guarantee staterooms (?). We ended up getting a full refund + a free cruise and 2 deluxe drink packages for our next cruise for however long we go.

still pretty shitty tho

i still don’t understand how they let half of me and my gfs family on but not her and i

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

I just wish there was another of the so called 13 couples making a comment on this. The story is plastered everywhere on 1 persons version of events. 

Your wish is...  See above!

8 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Bet there was a maintenance issue with numerous cabins such as no air conditioning, plumbing not working or flooded cabins.

If that were true, you'd think RCL would be all over telling the guests who were screwed in this situation exactly that. It'd be much more reasonable for a guest to understand why there wasn't a cabin available vs. telling them they just cant be assigned a stateroom. From a PR perspective, it's a no brainer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, notscb said:

If that were true, you'd think RCL would be all over telling the guests who were screwed in this situation exactly that. It'd be much more reasonable for a guest to understand why there wasn't a cabin available vs. telling them they just cant be assigned a stateroom. From a PR perspective, it's a no brainer.

That's why I think the Crew Covid quarantine rumor has merit. Not something they want to announce for PR reasons.

• Like 5