Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

Welcome to Rio!   

Some random shots as we were pulling into the harbor.  MSC just in front of us, Costa coming up behind...Azamara was already here.  Ellen, our Chops hostess told me there are going to be eight ships docked up here today!!  Wow.  

20231231_045622.jpg

20231231_045630.jpg

20231231_050053.jpg

20231231_050508.jpg

20231231_052727.jpg

20231231_052741.jpg

• Like 24

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

When we have gone through that area, extra security was brought on board.  
m

Exactly, we were told because of pirates in 2018 on the Mariner voyage.  No pirates fired anything at commercial shipping as is the case these days.

Finally a port in Brazil we can walk on the pier and has a decent terminal!  No shuttle bus to terminal here.  I think the whole ship just departed.  The full WC cruisers all had a free tour here with a Brazilian lunch included.  Ship to ourselves!  😉 

But we are going to just walk around, enjoy the port and really looking forward to the festivities tonight.  🙂  

20231231_060048.jpg

• Like 11

Pouring rain now...so will wait a bit now.  Want to walk down to visit the museum which is quite popular here and not very far away.

Down on the dock, already one ambulance was here as we first pulled up, now a 2nd one loading one pax into it (though we noticed she was sitting up on the gurney and smiling...thank goodness) and then a 3rd ambulance was coming in.  Yikes.  Hope they are all OK.  

20231231_065946.jpg

20231231_065948.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Down on the dock, already one ambulance was here as we first pulled up, now a 2nd one loading one pax into it (though we noticed she was sitting up on the gurney and smiling...thank goodness) and then a 3rd ambulance was coming in.  Yikes.  Hope they are all OK.  

Note to self:  Steer clear of Rio !

😘

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, island lady said:

Though, I know I am crazy to say so...but I love to cook, and miss making my creative meals.  

This would be a show-stopper for me, not being able to cook anything for 9 months.  I like the idea of all meals being made for me, but I would want the option to make something myself.

• Like 6

Rain held off for us...probably because we were carrying our rain jackets in a back pack.  😉  

Walked down to end of pier to the downtown waterfront park area where they were setting up for their party there.  Big band shell set up and doing the testing.  Museum was closed...drats.  Cute harbor ferry pulled up there.  Pretty popular here. 

20231231_082343.jpg

20231231_082627.jpg

20231231_082220.jpg

20231231_081422.jpg

20231231_081415.jpg

20231231_082743.jpg

• Like 11

Total mob scene with local pax trying to board huge MSC ship.  This is a pretty big embarkation port for cruise ships here.  Line with luggage to get to drop off must have been 1/4 mile long snaking way down the terminal, curving, and going up the street. Ugh.   😮   

20231231_092739.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

This would be a show-stopper for me, not being able to cook anything for 9 months.  I like the idea of all meals being made for me, but I would want the option to make something myself.

Yup, but we are filling it in with cooking classes and food tours.  😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

A question (or two!) for those onboard.

Is the world cruise shaping up to be what you expected?

Have you been on a world cruise before?

What, if anything, is different?  Atmosphere?  Passengers?  Service/amenities?

I'm just curious.

1. I have long since stopped expecting things to be what I think they would be.  Embrace the experience...good or bad.  

2.  No

3.  Ship not crowded in the least, which is nice.  

4.  See answer #3

5.  much older crowd...only a few children. 

6. Less pax...more crew members equals better service.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, island lady said:

1. I have long since stopped expecting things to be what I think they would be.  Embrace the experience...good or bad.  

2.  No

3.  Ship not crowded in the least, which is nice.  

4.  See answer #3

5.  much older crowd...only a few children. 

6. Less pax...more crew members equals better service.  

And these are reason I personally enjoy longer Cruises.. Except for couple Cruises this past yr been 22yrs since did anything shorter then 10niter. No Crowds, few Families or Kids(10-25), many Solo typically 1450-2050 passengers

• Like 4

UWC Bingo per an influencer 😉

image.png.abadfcc89248fa3bb63b52fd1aa35162.png

This one marked in red shows the ones they've experienced so far (noticed they changed top line "weather mishaps" now to "staff dates passenger"):

image.png.543eeafc523a69400655122f1e4c1512.png

Edited by SeaHunt
added info
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

The person that made this isn’t on the cruise, and even said she’s never been on one. She researched other TikTok accounts and came up with this…she is getting this info from the others that are on the cruise. Looking for followers and clicks.

One TikToker who is not in attendance but is having some fun at the spectacle created an Ultimate World Cruise bingo card so we can all follow along at home.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

This one marked in red shows the ones they've experienced so far (noticed they changed top line "weather mishaps" now to "staff dates passenger"):

This has been out there some time. No reason to bring it here from someone not on the cruise. Just for drama I guess. Seen it and ignored it on social media, now its here, ugh 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

And these are reason I personally enjoy longer Cruises.. Except for couple Cruises this past yr been 22yrs since did anything shorter then 10niter. No Crowds, few Families or Kids(10-25), many Solo typically 1450-2050 passengers

And is the reason we started cruising with Viking as well.  😲😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Pat, a Peaceful New Year to you and Bucky. 🍷

Thanks my friend...and to you and Kathy as well!  Though probably not peaceful tonight for us...but we will have plenty of time to sleep in...and take naps...tomorrow.  😉 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Influencer?  Of what...pot stirring wanna be without a life of their own?   🤣   

• Like 5
  • Haha 6