Gratuities are they compulsory?

As a Brit I find the whole  tipping thing a bit excessive and then also having extra taxes added on to your holiday it all seems to become much more expensive than you planned .

Why dont they just pay the staff well  in the first place lie P&O and let customers pay the extra when its deserved .

Then there is the crewe expecting further gratuities after enrolling for pre paid tips ,its all a bit over whelming !

Cant you just pay the staff who you are in contact with ?

Does anyone actually do this?

• Thanks 1

Very frequently discussed topic here. Almost guaranteed to get heated.

There are some variables you need to consider.  Where are sailing from? On what cruise line? What is the tipping culture in those areas? There are various answers to your questions based upon those issues.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hobgoblin said:

As a Brit I find the whole  tipping thing a bit excessive and then also having extra taxes added on to your holiday it all seems to become much more expensive than you planned .

Why dont they just pay the staff well  in the first place lie P&O and let customers pay the extra when its deserved .

Then there is the crewe expecting further gratuities after enrolling for pre paid tips ,its all a bit over whelming !

Where and how are you purchasing a cruise, or are you just having a whinge?

In UK and EU there are no extra taxes, only additional fees are for gratuities.  It depends on the cruise line as to whether they are mandatory, optional or adjustable.

What price is your cruise?  How much would it be it they "just pay the staff well"?

If you have pre paid tips, then no one should expect further tips.  They will accept them and even some will hope for them, but once you have pre paid, then anything else is optional.

In many cases if you "just pay the staff you are in contact with", then they will need to put that money into the tip pool.  What about the important people that you are not in contact with?

Treat it as a cost of cruising and if you don't like it then holiday somewhere else, don't stiff the staff who have no other options.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

We consider the added gratuities to our bill as part of the cost of the cruise.  We budget for these on every cruise.

We also freely tip directly to our cabin steward(s) and servers that go above and beyond.

• Like 2

When visiting a foreign country we follow the accepted tipping traditions there.

Imagine visiting the US and not tipping?

A cruise is like a foreign country , we follow the tipping there also.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

When visiting a foreign country we follow the accepted tipping traditions there.

Imagine visiting the US and not tipping?

A cruise is like a foreign country , we follow the tipping there also.

My freinds in the service industry and antidotal reports are that a lot of international tourists visit the US and don't tip. They hate to see an international tourist because of their experiences with them not tipping. It is probably circular unfortunately.  Since they have low expectations of a tip they don't give them good service which likely reinforces not getting a tip from those tourists. I think the crusie ship crew will act the same as they get lists of who has removed gratuities. 

Tourists should follow the customs of the country they are visiting. but routine habits are hard to overcome. When I visit countries that don't have have tipping culture like the US I follow the local non tipping culture but it does not feel right.

Unfortunately in the US tipping culture has gotten out of hand and tips are requested  when there is no service! Pick up your own items at a convience store and a tip is requested at the register! I have no problem selecting no tip. There was a whole thread a while back where someone decided not to cruise out of the US because of US tipping culture. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

As mentioned, very frequent and often heated debate on these boards, and one that, regardless of position taken, will not likely have any impact on the current industry practices.  It primarily is a US based practice, where gratuities for service are common.  And as many mass market cruise lines are US based, the practice follows. 

It has nothing to do with how good or bad the employees are paid - it is just a function of how their compensation is constructed - and is typically looked upon as part of the total cost of cruising with the passengers.  (And relative to the typical standard of living of most cruise service employees, their pay is considered rather high. Otherwise why would they do it?)  There are cruise lines that include this in their base fare, but those fares typically are higher as a result, and net out being about the same as fares that have gratuities added separately.  So there typically IMO is not likely a cost differential to the passenger with either method.

I think it boils down to a "when in Rome" analogy, and although one may not be familiar with it in their culture, it is the accepted norm with many.  As mentioned, you just have to accept it as part of the cost of cruising or seek lines that include it as part of the base fare.

As to how it is divided, the crew you are in contact with does receive a portion of the total from you.  Others in support you don't see receive a portion as well.  You can also add additional if desired to those you are in more frequent face to face contact with.  But the minimum suggested is that amount that will cover all those in service support of your stateroom and dining.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

No question that tipping in the US is completely out of control.  My fave is the 'tip jar' at a fast-food restaurant.  If people are dumb enough to leave a tip for no service, good for the establishment.  If you're in a culture where tipping is the norm, don't try to force your opinions by not tipping.  All that does in punish a hard-working staff.  Get with the program or stick to places where tipping is not expected.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My freinds in the service industry and antidotal reports are that a lot of international tourists visit the US and don't tip. They hate to see an international tourist because of their experiences with them not tipping. It is probably circular unfortunately.  Since they have low expectations of a tip they don't give them good service which likely reinforces not getting a tip from those tourists. I think the crusie ship crew will act the same as they get lists of who has removed gratuities. 

Tourists should follow the customs of the country they are visiting. but routine habits are hard to overcome. When I visit countries that don't have have tipping culture like the US I follow the local non tipping culture but it does not feel right.

Unfortunately in the US tipping culture has gotten out of hand and tips are requested  when there is no service! Pick up your own items at a convience store and a tip is requested at the register! I have no problem selecting no tip. There was a whole thread a while back where someone decided not to cruise out of the US because of US tipping culture. 

I honestly don’t think tipping is becoming more of a problem, just that these machines are programmed for it generically, I’ve heard from some business owners it’s not that easy to reprogram them. No one is expecting zip for self checkout, yet patrons complain. I just click 0% in those situations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Of course that works both ways and people used to not tipping will not feel right about constant doing so elsewhere.

I agree about When in Rome.

Re original question -  it is possible and I have done it several times with land trips and cruise - to go on a group tour with pre paid tips included in the price and then I don't tip.

Scenic doesn't expect you to - in their own literature they say " all inclusive, you can leave your wallet at home" _  I doubt anyone takes that absolutely literally but clearly there are no added or expected extra costs on board.

But  I guess the availability of such depends on where you live - it is very easy in Australia to book trips priced like that but possibly not at all easy if you are booking from other countries.

Of course  I realise the overall price is no doubt much the same - I don't do it to save money.

3 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Of course that works both ways and people used to not tipping will not feel right about constant doing so elsewhere.

I agree about When in Rome.

Re original question -  it is possible and I have done it several times with land trips and cruise - to go on a group tour with pre paid tips included in the price and then I don't tip.

Scenic doesn't expect you to - in their own literature they say " all inclusive, you can leave your wallet at home" _  I doubt anyone takes that absolutely literally but clearly there are no added or expected extra costs on board.

But  I guess the availability of such depends on where you live - it is very easy in Australia to book trips priced like that but possibly not at all easy if you are booking from other countries.

Of course  I realise the overall price is no doubt much the same - I don't do it to save money.

Maybe we should change the old saying "different strokes for different folks" to "different strokes for different venues".

On 1/8/2024 at 7:03 AM, VMax1700 said:

Where and how are you purchasing a cruise, or are you just having a whinge?

In UK and EU there are no extra taxes, only additional fees are for gratuities.  It depends on the cruise line as to whether they are mandatory, optional or adjustable.

What price is your cruise?  How much would it be it they "just pay the staff well"?

If you have pre paid tips, then no one should expect further tips.  They will accept them and even some will hope for them, but once you have pre paid, then anything else is optional.

In many cases if you "just pay the staff you are in contact with", then they will need to put that money into the tip pool.  What about the important people that you are not in contact with?

Treat it as a cost of cruising and if you don't like it then holiday somewhere else, don't stiff the staff who have no other options.

Best answer to the question!  Thx. 

To answer  the original question:  gratuities ARE morally compulsory - unless you have a legitimate claim about unsatisfactory service - which you have clearly pointed out to the appropriate personnel.

The fact is:  you might have the option to reduce/cancel gratuities in order to make it possible for you to avoid paying for service - but doing so is distinctly sleazy.  If you book a cruise knowing that gratuities provide a major part of the compensation of those who serve you, the fact that you might not deal with gratuities in your home country is immaterial - 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

This is sort of relevant.  We recently had a F1 car race here in Las Vegas and they expected a lot of visitors from overseas who typically either do not tip or tip at a low level.  Many of the local venues apparently raised their prices partly to gouge the tourists but also to make up for the expected low tipping which would affect servers and and other customer support wages.

Bottom line is that whether you like it or not you should tip at around the level expected by the local custom or just stay away.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Bottom line is that whether you like it or not you should tip at around the level expected by the local custom or just stay away

yes I agree - you should do that.

Including tipping zero if that is the local custom

But when buying cruises or other package type tours, you should either pay tips as expected OR buy an all inclusive tips included package - and then not pay tips as you go.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:06 PM, jsn55 said:

No question that tipping in the US is completely out of control.  My fave is the 'tip jar' at a fast-food restaurant.  If people are dumb enough to leave a tip for no service, good for the establishment.  If you're in a culture where tipping is the norm, don't try to force your opinions by not tipping.  All that does in punish a hard-working staff.  Get with the program or stick to places where tipping is not expected.

Tip jar at Starbucks DRIVE THROUGH!!!!  OMG it is out of control. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I have a personal policy of never tipping for counter service.

I don’t usually but two places I order at a counter and they bring the order out to a table. The one of them a kiosk not a person and they bring the food to a table. Would you tip?

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MWarren3549 said:

Tip jar at Starbucks DRIVE THROUGH!!!!  OMG it is out of control. 

Are you serious?  This is hilarious.  And the best part?  People put MONEY in that tip jar!  I love it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Are you serious?  This is hilarious.  And the best part?  People put MONEY in that tip jar!  I love it.

Yes, I've seen tip jars at the Starbucks windows.  And yes, they do!!  I am telling you ... Americans are falling all over themselves to TIP anyone & everyone.  SMH  ... 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MWarren3549 said:

Yes, I've seen tip jars at the Starbucks windows.  And yes, they do!!  I am telling you ... Americans are falling all over themselves to TIP anyone & everyone.  SMH  ... 

Do you think that this may be a result of compassion for the people who work in fast food and couldn't work for so long during the virus disaster?  I found that the worst part of the virus, the lower-level jobs disappeared and people couldn't feed their kids.  It made me sick.  Other than travel, we don't go out all that much, and after the world started to wake up, we went out more and would leave huge tips.  I do find myself still tipping far more (for real service) than I used to.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jsn55 said:

Do you think that this may be a result of compassion for the people who work in fast food and couldn't work for so long during the virus disaster?  I found that the worst part of the virus, the lower-level jobs disappeared and people couldn't feed their kids.  It made me sick.  Other than travel, we don't go out all that much, and after the world started to wake up, we went out more and would leave huge tips.  I do find myself still tipping far more (for real service) than I used to.

That I am sure is part of it. But I found this to be true long before the pandemic.  It is a mindset that Americans have been bashed over the head with for so many decades ... it's a compulsion.  And cruise tipping ... wow ... people can't wait to state how much above & beyond they tip the stewards and dining staff.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 2:09 PM, hobgoblin said:

I am also a Brit, but I have no problem with gratuities.

Pre paid them as part of the cruise price, and then we tip those that have made the cruise special for us. Of which there is usually quite a few.

Easy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2