The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 29th, 2024

kazu

Today is Leap Day, Digital Learning Day (last Thursday in February), and National Toast Day (last Thursday in February)

I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring. - David Bowie

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Jambalaya
Drink of the Day - Breakfast Martini
Wine of the Day - Bien Nacido Estate 2020 Pinot Noir (Santa Maria Valley)
Destination of the Day - Port Vila, Vanuatu 

Today in History:
1904 Theodore Roosevelt, appoints 7-man Panama Canal Commission to proceed with completing a canal at the Isthmus
1940 Hattie McDaniel becomes 1st African American woman to win an Oscar for "Gone With The Wind

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Roseau, Dominica eta 03-01

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Fanning Island, Line Islands, Kiribati eta 03-02

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya eta 03-01

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana eta 03-01

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 03-01

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 03-01

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Manaus, Brazil Amazon eta 03-01

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand 

Volendam

Port Arthur, Tasmania Australia 09:00 - 18:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Hong Kong, China eta 03-02

Zuiderdam

Omaezaki, Japan Shizuoka 07:00 - 17:00

• Like 20
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency stomach surgery 

StLouisCruisers’ loss of her friend Bob on 2/23/2024

RMLincoln’s DSIL hospitalized, to go to Rehab, with treatments

Laken Riley killed while jogging on the UGA campus

Bennybear’s DGD’s companion lab post emergency surgery

Fires in the Texas panhandle

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Rafinmd with cardiac issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy

StLouisCruisers’ DGD suffering anxiety/fear after a trauma

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Leap Day!

Rafinmd’s PSA showing improvement

JazzyV with improved leg pain and numbness after spinal injection

RMLincoln’s DH Richard doing well after his eye procedure

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy out of ICU!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Wind Surf Mar 2 to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean

3 days for 0106 (Nieuw Statendam Mar 3 to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF

Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean, Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas to Mar 3) 7d Bahamas & Perfect Day, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79(Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 22

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Leap Day!

It's cold and windy here, only -10°C ( 14°F) this morning.  We've got a snow squall warning.  I'm staying in whenever possible.  Bertie will only get a short walk.  I guess I should make some toast.

It would have been my brother's 17th birthday today, he was born in 1956.  Unfortunately, he passed away in 1975.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink, hope the wine is tasty.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone. 

Have a good bonus day.  Stay safe.

Edited by puppycanducruise
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 48°F and partly sunny at the beach.

I wonder how many girls propose marriage today to their boyfriend?

The earth takes over 365 days to orbit the sun so the extra day every 4 years keeps the calendars right.

I like toast with my English breakfast.

Typical Bowie quote.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20240229_105945.jpg

• Like 28

Good morning friends and happy Leap Day!  Another cold morning at 38F.  It will be mostly cloudy and perhaps 57 for a high.  Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn each day.  

At least we still have a few days to recognize on Feb. 29 including Digital Learning and Toast Day!  I also saw that it is International Rare Disease Day.  Must be another last Thursday in February holiday because I doubt anyone would choose Feb. 29 as the date for their celebration.  I'm sure the slow-cooker jambalaya will be of interest, and wonder what the breakfast martini has in it.  No thank you to the pinot noir (red). 🍷 Thank goodness for the Panama Canal commission's work.  Hattie McDaniel did a fine job acting in Gone With the Wind.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their work on the food and beverage reports.

Prayers for all on the Daily Care list and yes I named names!  Also for DB, DGD, friend Scott and wife Susan, and for friend Bob's family and other friends.  Also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages still held and the U.S. troops on ships and on bases in the region.  Please keep them safe!  🙏  Congrats to everyone on the Celebration list and the cruisers! 🎂🚢🎉  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for taking care of the lists each day! 

The port this morning is Port Vila, Vanatu, which is another new port for the Daily.  I have not been before and there are no links to post so that takes care of that!  If you've traveled there before and have photos please post for us to see.

DD's school talent show was yesterday for the students' viewing pleasure and though nervous, they did a great job.  Tonight they will do it again for their parents who I'm sure will be very impressed with the talent shown.  Then DD, who was in charge of the event, can relax and get back to her other teaching duties.  

Hoping you all have a super Thursday.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 28

34 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Leap Day!

It's cold and windy here, only -10°C ( 14°F) this morning.  We've got a snow squall warning.  I'm staying in whenever possible.  Bertie will only get a short walk.  I guess I should make some toast.

It would have been my brother's 17th birthday today, he was born in 1956.  Unfortunately, he passed away in 1975.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink, hope the wine is tasty.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone. 

Have a good bonus day.  Stay safe.

Happy 67th birthday in heaven to your brother Melanie.

So sorry he passed aged 19 in 1975.

4cd6425d700a5d32506e03cccf8819c6.gif

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I’m a fan of David Bowie,
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise I won't bore you." is the actual quote.

Often misquoted, this was Bowie's announcement at his 50th birthday gig at New York's Madison Square Gardens on 9 January 1997.  He was talking about the direction his music would take in the future. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Happy Leap Day from Boca da Valéria - the little indigenous village on the banks of the Amazon River. I will gladly celebrate digital learning day and I do like toast. Bowie’s quote fits me to a T. I will pass on the food and drinks and never been to the port. 

I had a great day in Santarem though I did pay for it last night. I saw pink dolphins as I sat watching the river, went to the cathedral and rode the rickety bus to and from the dock after tendering. The place reminded me of places deep in Mexico or Saudi - the shops full of the same items. Not many English speakers but using my funky Spanish I was able to communicate. Bugs abound but very few mosquitoes; I thought there would be a lot more. 

Today with dollar bills in my pocket I will go ashore to see the village. 👍

Thoughts for all and cheers for those celebrating!  Have a great day everyone!

IMG_5498.jpeg

IMG_5499.jpeg

IMG_5483.jpeg

IMG_5454.jpeg

IMG_5420.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Melanie, @puppycanducruise so sorry to hear that your DB passed at such a young age.  I'm sure you must miss him very much but hope your memories of him are good ones.  

Thanks for the kind words.

Mom said it was the worst part of her life.  Parents should not have to bury their children.  Every time I hear about someone losing a child whether to illness or injury, my heart breaks and I remember what my family went through.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 12

I will learn something digitally today. Am I supposed to make toast or raise a glass today - I will do whichever once I know. And pass on the meal, maybe try the drink (tbd pending the recipe), yes to the wine, not been to the port. I do like Mr Bowie's quote. Thank you @0106 for the clip. I am reminded of my dad when I think of David Bowie. My dad was a music director at a radio station; David Bowie stopped by the station during his 1st American tour, did an interview w/my dad and left my him an autographed poster. That poster was used to cover the window of his office door - I hope whoever found it appreciated it; if they sold it, please send us the $$ 😉 My dad's take away on meeting David Bowie- he's hard to understand and wears too much makeup 😆

Big days in history.

Today was my grandmothers birthday 🎂 Happy Birthday Neena. I wear her heart necklace each Leap Day, so she will be with me when I go to the eye doctor today.

Currently 43° headed to a rainy 54°. I hope it's not while I'm driving and there's close parking available at the doctors if it's raining then.

I reprinted all the LOA and Accommodation forms for the PCP and will stop by her office after I finish at eye doctor. That, work and a trip to Kroger gas station (today is last day to use $.50/gallon discount) is my schedule for today. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240229_054245.thumb.jpg.fe4acbed83d07b23f40888ecb5b90da5.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

The meal and drink of the day sound yummy. 

Colder today but the sun should be out. Very bad wind last night. 

I have clients and a class today. Looking forward to the weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.jpeg.cecb331f8360f341bfdc698af91d6274.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I will learn something digitally today. Am I supposed to make toast or raise a glass today - I will do whichever once I know. And pass on the meal, maybe try the drink (tbd pending the recipe), yes to the wine, not been to the port. I do like Mr Bowie's quote.

Big days in history.

Today was my grandmothers birthday 🎂 Happy Birthday Neena. I wear her heart necklace each Leap Day, so she will be with me when I go to the eye doctor today.

Currently 43° headed to a rainy 54°. I hope it's not while I'm driving and there's close parking available at the doctors if it's raining then.

I reprinted all the LOA and Accommodation forms for the PCP and will stop by her office after I finish at eye doctor. That, work and a trip to Kroger gas station (today is last day to use $.50/gallon discount) is my schedule for today. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240229_054245.thumb.jpg.fe4acbed83d07b23f40888ecb5b90da5.jpg

Happy heavenly birthday to your gran Neena today.

65ff48bc624d7b2752b827d5a15ab594.gif

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Happy Leap Day, everyone!

It is a cold 18F here in mid-Michigan this morning.  We are supposed to warm up to 35F and then it warms up much more through the weekend.  We had a dusting of snow overnight.  I imagine that will melt off easily as it is supposed to be sunny today.  The really good news is that the heat is still on.  Whatever was wrong last weekend seems to have corrected itself.  

I have PT today and then can either take the day off or get started on taxes.  I did have one small victory yesterday.  The insurance company reprocessed the claim for my PCP visit in January and removed the incorrect co-pay.  MyChart doesn't reflect that yet.  I'll give them another week and then risk getting yelled at again by the nasty people in billing.  

I love jambalaya, but it has too many carbs for me.  I could make it without the rice and eat it more as a gumbo.  Or replace the rice with riced cauliflower, but it wouldn't have the same consistency.  But, it is the flavor we are after in this dish.  https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/slow-cooker-jambalaya/

jambalaya1.thumb.jpg.1e01563e064523ac1437a2799f30e776.jpg

This next recipe also contains a recipe for Creole seasoning if you wish to make your own.  The first recipe left out the celery from the Holy Trinity of Creole cooking.  This one includes it.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/slow_cooker_jambalaya/

jambalaya2.thumb.jpg.e4e39d0b9633c3b9b042effffa25d1a3.jpg

This last one includes collard greens in the jambalaya.  That's a little different.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/269214/slow-cooker-jambalaya/

jambalaya3.thumb.jpg.e42b0e9eb9367b00e04c0d36ec1fa372.jpg

None of these recipes appear to be spicy hot and if there is a hot ingredient, you can always adjust the amount to your tastes.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone and happy Leap Day!  It’s sunny, breezy and cold (27F) here in Boston.  I think I’ll celebrate toast day but not with a breakfast martini.  I like David Bowie’s quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious, I think it was one of the Club Orange selections on my Rotterdam cruise.  I have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list and for those who need them.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events! 

• Like 21

Breakfast Martini cocktail:

A breakfast martini is a marmalade cocktail with gin, marmalade, orange liqueur, and lemon juice, created by bartender Salvatore Calabrese. The drink was invented in 1996 at the Library Bar at the Lanesborough Hotel in London, England. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: 1 spoon Orange marmalade, 2 shots (1 3/4 oz.) Gin, 3/4 shot (2/3 oz.) Cointreau or Triple sec, 3/4 shot Fresh lemon juice.
Preparation: Mix or shake in cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Strain into glass and serve.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon twist
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 8.03.03 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 12

Jacqui, thank you for today’s FR & D. Roy, thank you for our maps. 

Vanessa, I really love to read your posts about almost no pain! Praying that the numbness and tingling disappear, too and that you start getting more sleep. 

Once again, thank you all for keeping my Sister in your thoughts and prayers. She is off the ventilator. And right now the biggest concern in Afib, which they are trying to manage with meds.  She can’t even have ice chips until someone from Speech makes sure there was no damage from the ventilator tube. 

Her son came down from Boston and though he has some work to do, he is here and can see for himself how she is doing. Her daughter arrives on Saturday. 

I am tired. Emotionally and physically. But her place is cleaned up, her laundry is done and she doesn’t have any messes to come home to. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, thinking of you and Tana.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Bien Nacido Estate 2020 Pinot Noir (Santa Maria Valley)

This PN sounds lovely, but it is pricey. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $69.99.

Winemaker Notes

Classic Bien Nacido Pinot Noir aromas of cardamom, clove buds, dried brush and black cherry mingle with young wine characters like bubblegum and red licorice. Concentrated on the palate with suave tannins, balanced acidity and a clean long finish. Open this immediately and know the sweetness of the fruit will stay around for decades.

Professional Ratings

• 96Jeb Dunnuck

I loved the nose on the 2020 Estate Pinot Noir, which offers a wild assortment of red and black berries, sappy herbs, flowers, iron, and exotic baking spices. These carry to a medium-bodied, concentrated, focused, age-worthy Pinot Noir with beautiful depth of fruit, ripe tannins, and a great finish. Give it a year or two and enjoy over the following decade. I followed this bottle for multiple days, and it only got better. It’s unquestionably a thrilling, brilliant wine. This was all destemmed and spent 16 months in 43% new French oak.

• 95Tasting Panel

Scents of cherrywood and cinnamon spice are welcoming. Black cherry and pennyroyal mix the pleasures of fruitiness and savoriness, joining notes of soy sauce, sassafras, and mustard seed. Juicy and generous, with a glossy mouthfeel and a pop of white pepper on the finish.

• 94Wine Enthusiast

Creamy while detailed aromas of black cherry, loam and slate make for a very inviting and intriguing nose on this bottling. The palate lands with a bold richness, carrying fresh and vibrant flavors of black cherry and blackberry in a hedonistic vintage for this estate.

• 93Wine & Spirits

Brooding and controlled, this wine has a peppery reductive note to go along with tobacco scents. Its translucent red shade is intriguing and pretty, with rosy cherry and strawberry flavors, a flower-petal bitterness and fine tannins. It opens appreciably with air, still reserved and recessive within its cool texture.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13