The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 4th, 2024

kazu

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Brain injury awareness is important. I worry about the future of some athletes who suffer repeated head trauma. I'll salute Casimir Pulaski, who I hadn't heard of before. We can try to be courageous followers. Jane Austen was being flippant with that quote. Yes to air fryer sweet potato fries. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Alicante. 3 important days in history.

It's 64F and sunny, going up to 74, tying a record high. I slept fairly well, and have some off and on leg numbness. I got my tax info uploaded to my accountant, and called them this morning to let them know. Today's plan is laundry (I'll see how going up and down steep steps goes), then working more on putting the china closet together. I have tons of crystal glassware that I never use. I'd sell it to Replacements, but the cost of shipping would take most of what they pay. I am sending a photo of my DR chairs to get an estimate on recovering the seats and tightening up the frames. Also an estimate for an old Duncan Phyfe drop leaf table that I'd like to get refinished. 

@cruising sister The photo of Baby Murphy going home was so precious! It made me happy.

@grapau27 Thank you for the information on Pulaski; I hadn't heard of him before. Nice photos from Alicante.

@St Pete Cruiser Thanks for the photos.

@kazu Lovely photos of Alicante.

@Nickelpenny It sounds like you're having a great time. 

@StLouisCruisers Delightful photos of Alicante and you and Dennis. 

@rafinmd Thank you for the maps. I hope you get a good report from the Oncologist.

@Haljo1935 Nice photos.

@cat shepard Continued prayers for your DSis.

@ger_77 Oh my, that's a lot of snow! 

@ottahand7 Prayers all goes easy with the skin surgery. And congrats on the new truck!

@VMax1700 I've visited the Bodensee while in Germany.

@marshhawk February was certainly a tough month for you and your DH. I hope some sales are imminent.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for sharing your great photos. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, all! Alicante sounds beautiful - one more place for the bucket list.

Ive done a lot of lurking, but don’t get a chance to post until late, so I don’t. But I can drop a quick hello at least. Fabulous news about baby Murphy, finally home after facing such daunting odds in the beginning!

We have unseasonable snow here, but nothing like @ger_77 is facing. 
We’re signed up on the Standby program for a short Alaska cruise at the end of April just to try it out. We live about 2 hours from the port, so even 3 hours notice before boarding cut off would work. My fingers are crossed!
Happy Monday, and I hope everyone in storm areas has lots of food and wine stockpiled!

• Like 26

Good morning, 

We've got snow and the county has pretty much shut down with school closed, etc. It's only a few inches - nothing like @ger_77 has by any means. Oh well, I'll stay home today and no water aerobics and pool for me. Better to be safe. 

Other than that I'm not a sweet potato fan at all so will pass on the meal, etc. I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's travel photos. Thank you! 

Now finally time to get a move on today. Since I'm staying home I'll get lemon cookies made for the PT staff tomorrow and keep working around the house. The current forecast calls for warmer temps and sun by noon so we'll see. 

Karen

• Like 25

30 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Alicante sounds beautiful - one more place for the bucket list.

Ive done a lot of lurking, but don’t get a chance to post until late, so I don’t. But I can drop a quick hello at least. Fabulous news about baby Murphy, finally home after facing such daunting odds in the beginning!

We’re signed up on the Standby program for a short Alaska cruise at the end of April just to try it out. We live about 2 hours from the port, so even 3 hours notice before boarding cut off would work. My fingers are crossed!
Happy Monday, and I hope everyone in storm areas has lots of food and wine stockpiled!

Oh, that's exciting you're trying the new program!  Our PCC was really enthusiastic about it because we're in a port city.   Eventually we'll give it a try.  I hope you get onboard and have a great time!  Fingers crossed for you. 

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

For many British holidaymakers Alicante airport is the gateway to the massive Costa Blanca resort Benidorm.

I had never heard of Benidorm until I watched the "Benidorm" TV show.  I didn't know it was a real place.

• Like 12

Happy Monday, it's in the 50's here, but cloudy today.  @ger_77wow, that's a lot of snow to deal with, be safe!  

@JazzyVThanks for including DH on the care list!  He's continuing to do well!  

@rafinmdThinking about you and your Dr. visit today. 

@ottahand7Blessings on your procedure today.  

The pictures today look amazing, sounds like a great place to visit! 

I'll take the sweet potato fries, but no air-fryer here.  We have a Pulaski High School here.  Milwaukee was a place for many Polish immigrants back in the day.

Have a good day, karen

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  It's been a busy  morning, and it looks like it might be a busy afternoon.  I got the potato salad and baked beans made early so the flavors have a chance to blend.  After breakfast, we went into town to run a few errands.  In a bit, I'll get the ribs seasoned and ready to put in the smoker.  Afterwards, I'll finish spraying the yard since we got more spray yesterday.  It looks like some of the weeds and wildflowers are beginning to die.  Then the only thing left will be to put the beans in the oven about an hour before the ribs are done.

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Welcome back.  You were missed.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Brain injury awareness is important. I worry about the future of some athletes who suffer repeated head trauma. I'll salute Casimir Pulaski, who I hadn't heard of before. We can try to be courageous followers. Jane Austen was being flippant with that quote. Yes to air fryer sweet potato fries. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Alicante. 3 important days in history.

It's 64F and sunny, going up to 74, tying a record high. I slept fairly well, and have some off and on leg numbness. I got my tax info uploaded to my accountant, and called them this morning to let them know. Today's plan is laundry (I'll see how going up and down steep steps goes), then working more on putting the china closet together. I have tons of crystal glassware that I never use. I'd sell it to Replacements, but the cost of shipping would take most of what they pay. I am sending a photo of my DR chairs to get an estimate on recovering the seats and tightening up the frames. Also an estimate for an old Duncan Phyfe drop leaf table that I'd like to get refinished. 

@cruising sister The photo of Baby Murphy going home was so precious! It made me happy.

@grapau27 Thank you for the information on Pulaski; I hadn't heard of him before. Nice photos from Alicante.

@St Pete Cruiser Thanks for the photos.

@kazu Lovely photos of Alicante.

@Nickelpenny It sounds like you're having a great time. 

@StLouisCruisers Delightful photos of Alicante and you and Dennis. 

@rafinmd Thank you for the maps. I hope you get a good report from the Oncologist.

@Haljo1935 Nice photos.

@cat shepard Continued prayers for your DSis.

@ger_77 Oh my, that's a lot of snow! 

@ottahand7 Prayers all goes easy with the skin surgery. And congrats on the new truck!

@VMax1700 I've visited the Bodensee while in Germany.

@marshhawk February was certainly a tough month for you and your DH. I hope some sales are imminent.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for sharing your great photos. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you slept well, but sorry you are still having on and off leg numbness.  I hope the steep stairs don't cause problems.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from the beautiful Nieuw Statendam as we sail towards Ocho Rios. The sea day activities have been a bit different than what I experienced in the past but I found it truly enjoyable. Prior to lunch they taught some line dances by the Seaview pool, although I did not participate, it was extremely amusing to watch. After lunch, they had trivia by the Seaview pool, music from the 50s and 60s. It was very fun to watch people sing-along, and dance to the music. Jose, the entertainment Director, has done a wonderful job and I have had a pleasant afternoon. Time for a nap before dressy night.

Sending you peace and all good wishes.

• Like 25

Good afternoon.  Thank you for all the kind messages about my surgery today.   It went well.  It wasn't Mohs surgery so it was over rather quickly.  I understand melanocytes which I had do not work with Mohs so they just took out a big piece.   I tried to count the surface stitches which were 15.   My incision is 7 centimeters long.   She said take Extra Strength Tylenol,  I decided to take Tylenol #3 and it is still starting to sting.  I'll be just fine.

We still haven't picked up the truck as we are waiting for the GM Friends & Family number for the discount.   My brother has applied so many times they gave him a bunch of odd security questions and he couldn't answer them.  So it is coming by Fedex.  Thanks everyone!   Nancy 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

15 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon.  Thank you for all the kind messages about my surgery today.   It went well.  It wasn't Mohs surgery so it was over rather quickly.  I understand melanocytes which I had do not work with Mohs so they just took out a big piece.   I tried to count the surface stitches which were 15.   My incision is 7 centimeters long.   She said take Extra Strength Tylenol,  I decided to take Tylenol #3 and it is still starting to sting.  I'll be just fine.

We still haven't picked up the truck as we are waiting for the GM Friends & Family number for the discount.   My brother has applied so many times they gave him a bunch of odd security questions and he couldn't answer them.  So it is coming by Fedex.  Thanks everyone!   Nancy 

Nancy, I'm glad the surgery went well, but I'm sorry the incision is still stinging.  Sorry that the truck isn't ready.  I hope the discount can be applied soon.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I had never heard of Benidorm until I watched the "Benidorm" TV show.  I didn't know it was a real place.

Benidorm is Definitely a real place and the TV program was recorded in Benidorm.

We went there 40 years ago.

My late mam and dad first took me to the Costa Brava flying into Barcelona in 1968.

The Spanish Costas since the 1960s have been the favourite of many British and European holidaymakers seeking Sun and cheap holidays.

Lloret de Mar.- Costa Brava.

Salou.- Costa Dorada.

Benidorm.- Costa Blanca.

Torremolinos.- Costa del sol.

Benalmadena.- Costa del sol Are the best known resorts which we have visited dozens of times.

Screenshot_20240304_195519.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning, Dailyites.  My goodness, the photos of Alicante are beautiful.  I actually had to look at records to see if we've been there, having enjoyed a number of beautiful Spanish ports, but no, we have not.  Definitely a goal.  Just beautiful.

It really is a lovely spot to visit.  So much to see or just soak in the ambience.  If you are a market person, their market is really nice.

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

We had a nice weekend -- celebrated DGS's fifth birthday.  Just pizza with close family.  He is autistic and it was so sweet that he kept coming and sitting by me and smiling.  He knew it was his day.  Just darling.

A belated very happy birthday to your DGS on his 5th.

IMG_9955.gif.637bd1df7c60f87f7179fbdf4abd5694.gif

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good luck 🍀 

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Never fear - those of us who face storms know to be prepared.  I’ll be making a trip tomorrow before Thursday’s if it igoing to be pouring rain on my X-ray day 😉 

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

It is a real place.  Jose and I used to stay in Costal del Sol and we would take the train from town to town.  there was a Rotary meeting in Benidorm so as I recall, we actually walked 😬 and attended.  

Benidorm is more of a ritzy area than the others on Costa del Sol IIRC.  the nice thing is it’s easy to catch a train (which are very reliable in Spain and often) and head to Malaga or other towns to explore.

57 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

So good to hear all went well 👍. Sorry to hear it is stinging though 😔. I hope that the Tylenol does the trick for you 🤞 

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, Oncologist visit was totally routine.  He was pleased with my PSA numbers and no changes planned.

Roy

that’s great news, Roy 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

The topics for my course this week are local watersheds, and Native American practices. It was 68° and sunny, and I chose to combine them by doing some of the reading, by Robin Wall Kimmerer, on the riverbank. The path in the first picture was created by the feet of the Seneca people before European settlement. It extends for several miles but only this section receives much use (some is on private property).

Riverpath.thumb.JPG.3d136836caafe8ebbf48a2894c7ba22a.JPG

View downriver

P1010640.thumb.JPG.73f8d697873aa101a347eb5bde90c550.JPG

Swing installed recently by the River Friends

RiverFriendsbench.thumb.JPG.86b18cd6fa39f8cf120633b254d18f73.JPG

View from the swing

Riverview.thumb.JPG.f238fed76c9c4f9e4826bc7449b195b4.JPG

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, Oncologist visit was totally routine.  He was pleased with my PSA numbers and no changes planned.

Roy

I'm really pleased for you Roy.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, that's good news, and the kind we all like to hear from our doctors.  

18 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

The topics for my course this week are local watersheds, and Native American practices. It was 68° and sunny, and I chose to combine them by doing some of the reading, by Robin Wall Kimmerer, on the riverbank. The path in the first picture was created by the feet of the Seneca people before European settlement. It extends for several miles but only this section receives much use (some is on private property).

Riverpath.thumb.JPG.3d136836caafe8ebbf48a2894c7ba22a.JPG

View downriver

P1010640.thumb.JPG.73f8d697873aa101a347eb5bde90c550.JPG

Swing installed recently by the River Friends

RiverFriendsbench.thumb.JPG.86b18cd6fa39f8cf120633b254d18f73.JPG

View from the swing

Riverview.thumb.JPG.f238fed76c9c4f9e4826bc7449b195b4.JPG

Thanks for the pictures, and story behind the path, Paul.

I finished spraying the part of the lot I didn't get done the other day when I ran out of spray.  I'll let it work on the weeds, and in a few days start getting them out of the ground with the hula hoe.  Yes, it's that tool that was advertised on tv many years ago, but it works well on rocks since everything that's green needs to come out of the ground.  Beats pulling them by hand, which I did years ago when we had another wet year.  That took me almost a week.  

I think I'll treat myself to some time sitting outside with my book.

Lenda

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

hula hoe.  Yes, it's that tool that was advertised on tv many years ago

I would call it a scuffle hoe, but the more common generic term in the trade is stirrup hoe.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Dear Claudio came by and checked our drips and readjusted the sprinklers. Also fertilized the plants and trees. All is well for starting the water next week. He said I could plant the hardy type plants now! Whoopi!!!

I saw some grasses at the nursery today, and I'm going back tomorrow to pick some up. I will haul a bunch of soil mixture and have the planting boxes ready to go, after DH Nephrology appointment tomorrow.

Allen wanted bratwurst today for dinner. I made myself a caprese salad. 

Hope ya'll have a great evening. Xx

• Like 20

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I would call it a scuffle hoe, but the more common generic term in the trade is stirrup hoe.

ACE Hardware in Blythe sold it as a Hula Hoe many, many years ago.  It's amazing how something is called so many different things in different parts of the country.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13