is blu really better than MDR- beyond?

mcatmcat

First time in an aqua class and I see that I can get access to blu.

After watching videos and taking a look at the menu, is blu really that good?

I know it is exclusive but the MDR menu looks so good to me.

mcamcat, Blu is wonderful but so is the MDR menu. Depending on the class of ship you will be on, you may be able to order from the MDR menu in Blu. I believe this option is available on most M and S class ships.

However, on the Edge class ships if you want to order from the MDR menu you will need to go to one of the four MDRs as their kitchens are too far from Blu. You might be able to make arrangements the night before for a MDR dish to be served the next night in Blu.

In addition to the food, we enjoy the better service we received in Blu. For example our drink order always arrive promptly.

Breakfast in Blu is great and if you have the premium drink package you can order fresh squeezed OJ or Grapefruit juice, which go well with champagne.

• Like 1

Best part of Blu is service.  Never a wait.  Staff that knew what we liked and choice of Blu or MDR selections.

Food better?  Sometimes IMO.  Definitely personal.opinion.

Thus am I willing to pay more for Aqua?  As someone who is Elite+ and will never reach Zenith, maybe $50 a day pp.

• Like 2

Yes.  There is a reason I book Aqua and it's not for the cabin locations under the pool!  It's for Blu.  Last time we did eat in the MDR for lunch on Eclipse and it was good.  

• Like 1

The main benefit is a smaller venue and therefore better service; there generally isn't a wait on the E-Class ships.  In Blu, you used to be able to order any item MDR but that seems to vary by M'D as some only allow the classics to be ordered.  Filet mignon, more Lamb, and more duck should appear on the menu more often.  We find the food quality to be the exact same as the MDR but do enjoy the more premium offerings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

There are more choices of dishes in the MDR.  On some nights, we will not see anything we like so we either go to one of  the MDRs or the Oceanview. On the Ascent, the food was very good in all venues.  I found the service was more attentive in Blu and I was able to tweek dishes. On the Ascent, I was able to order food from the MDR but it was not allowed on the Beyond.  I think it due to with the shortage of staff.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Someone wiser than me once said about aqua class

“They took the worst cabins and gave them the best restaurant” 

Indeed most aqua cabins are under an overhang with little skyview and sometimes noise from the public deck above. But in reality they aren’t the WORST location….

We absolutely love Blu, would eat there over mdr in a heartbeat.

And not to be picky, but you don’t just have access to Blu, it is your assigned restaurant.

Edited by justcrusn
Spelling

2 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

Someone wiser than me once said about aqua class

“They took the worst cabins and gave them the best restaurant” 

Indeed most aqua cabins are under an overhang with little skyview and sometimes noise from the public deck above. But in reality they aren’t the WORST location….

We absolutely love Blu, would eat there over mdr in a heartbeat.

And not to be picky, but you don’t just have access to Blu, it is your assigned restaurant.

You’re right.  They aren’t in the engine room.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Try them both 

• Thanks 1

we prefer BLU over mdr. food and personal service,  .and add on a few nights at Specialty dining. Might try 1 mdr on E class to mix things up.  AQ Class cabins are fine for us even the IV. Bkfst in BLU is great...

On E Class 1 mdr serves lunch..it is a very nice menu.

E Class and S Class thermal suites are nixe..not so much on M class

ENJOY!

• Like 1

We are fans of Blu but not on E class ships.  With 4 MDRs on the E class ships the menu options are greater in the MDRs than Blu.  so for us the extra cost of Aqua isn’t worth it.

• Like 1

We do not like Blu on the E class ships.  We went on each of our E class cruises once or twice and never went back.  But on the Equinox we got overall subperb everything in Blu on this ship, it was like night and day (Edge/Beyond/Apex vs Equinox Blu).  We are going on the Beyond again next week and won't be dining in blu.  Another thing, Blu on the E class we were unable to order off the MDR menu choices but the Equinox allowed us to.

One of the benefits of Blu on E Class ships is that you will likely have the same waitstaff for each dinner and likely the same for breakfast. If you change dining rooms to sample all 4 you won’t have that. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

We do not like Blu on the E class ships.  We went on each of our E class cruises once or twice and never went back.  But on the Equinox we got overall subperb everything in Blu on this ship, it was like night and day (Edge/Beyond/Apex vs Equinox Blu).  We are going on the Beyond again next week and won't be dining in blu.  Another thing, Blu on the E class we were unable to order off the MDR menu choices but the Equinox allowed us to.

If don't like the Blu food offering, you won't like the AQ experience. E Class doesnt allow MDR food menus and that really trips up some folks. Blu food is slightly different (we like it) but some don't. 

Blu is smaller I think better service, but if are looking for a standard MDR experience then it isnt the place for you. 

Blu is smaller and quieter than the MDR.  My husband is a "people watcher" type who likes a crowd so he did not find that a plus.  I found myself ordering from the MDR menu at least half the time anyway.  The service is more attentive in Blu but we don't feel any need for that.

@mcatmcat Why did you book Aqua? Many if not most people on the board actually think the Aqua cabins are an upsell for less desirable cabin locations (not sure about that on E Class). Arguably the only benefit to Aqua you couldn't otherwise buy is Blu; you can pay for a spa package and fitness classes (if you even plan to do them). The charge for those is often less than the upcharge to Aqua. So again, you're left with Blu as the reason to upgrade.

Blu was originally set up as a "healthier" cuisine restaurant. It's arguable on that now, but the menu is probably the most adventurous on the ship. My wife and I did our first Celebrity cruise in Aqua, then got hooked on the Retreat and Luminae (before the fares went through the roof). When we took that cruise, Blu seemed to be in a state of flux and that "Clean Cuisine" wasn't really there. But the food was excellent and the service was great. It's tight (I'm sure they'd market it as "intimate"). But as a general rule you're not going to find typical MDR dishes in Blu. Looking at the app, I don't see shrimp cocktails or French onion soups or prime rib. If that's what you're looking at on the MDR menu, you probably should price a standard IV or maybe Concierge cabin and add on the thermal spa.

For the record, on that first Celebrity cruise after years on Royal, the last several in Junior Suites, we didn't know exactly why we booked Aqua either. It seemed more "special" without the upcharge of a suite. It was only well after booking and maybe even after boarding that we appreciated Blu. But not everyone appreciates Blu. We're all different...

Posted (edited)

Our first cruise was in 2014 in AQ. Blu’s service, atmosphere and food are the best, in that order. We’ll be dining in the MDR for the first time in 2025, since we always booked with AQ and loved Blu throughout the years. I’m a bit nervous but, now that we are retired on a more or less fixed income, I want to find a more economical option.  With that said, we met some wonderful staff and passengers in Blu.  We also love the Persian Gardens even though we are not spa people.

Edited by Kandtcruisers

10 hours ago, boxkite said:

if you have the premium drink package you can order fresh squeezed OJ or Grapefruit juice, which go well with champagne.

I though OJ was included in Blu

We were planing just to go for breaksfast , ask for OJ and walk to the ocean view lol

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

We are fans of Blu but not on E class ships.  With 4 MDRs on the E class ships the menu options are greater in the MDRs than Blu.  so for us the extra cost of Aqua isn’t worth it.

I had a balcony room obstructed and going to aqua class guarantee was like 300$ per cabin and we both love the persian garden. 

1 hour ago, mcatmcat said:

I though OJ was included in Blu

We were planing just to go for breaksfast , ask for OJ and walk to the ocean view lol

You are correct.  Fresh orange and grapefruit juices are available in Blu with no need for a beverage package.  

• Like 1

We booked Aqua a few times then Sky Suite twice.  We will probably go back to Aqua unless prices are really great.  The MDR was good for lunch last time since. Blu doesn’t do lunch.  I want to avoid the MDR or buffet on port days for breakfast when I have an early excursion.