The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 2nd, 2024

Today is Life Insurance Day, Roberts Rule of Order Day, and Scurvy Awareness Day

It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.--Maurice Switzer, Mrs. Goose, Her Book

Meal Suggestion for today - Sorrel Pesto
Drink of the Day - Smashing Pumpkin
Wine of the Day - Bodegas Godeval 2022 Godello Godello (Valdeorras)
Destination of the Day - Montevideo, Uruguay

Today in History:
1949 Arthur Miller wins Pulitzer Prize for "Death of a Salesman"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-03

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Sitka, Alaska 

Nieuw Statendam

La Coruna, Spain Galicia 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Valletta, Malta 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland 10:00 - 20:00

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 08:00 - 03 May  +1  08:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-03

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Mindelo, Cape Verde eta 5/3

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 05-06

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Good morning friends!  It's 55F here and will be a hot 86 with sunshine later today.  

Thanks Roy @rafinmd for preparing the fleet location maps for us and Rich @richwmn for the information to post.  The days today are all good ones as is the quote, a familiar one.  No thanks to the meal, drink or wine of the day.  A very nice date in history for Arthur Miller.  Thanks F&B Department ladies!🥂

Prayers will be said for our Care list people, especially Tana and Terry @smitty34877, Richard and Maureen @RMLincoln, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, and Gerry's DH Maurice @ger_77.  I haven't had time to read last night's entries to the Daily but hope there is no further bad news and only good reports.  Prayers also for DB, the twin boys, people of Israel and Ukraine, hostages still held and our military in the region.  🙏

Three cheers to those with birthdays and anniversaries (and graduations).🎂🎉🎓  And a big thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the list updating.  Hope all is going better each and every day for you.❤️

The port this morning is Montevideo, Uruguay.  It was listed here before as the port of the day on June 15, 2021 and June 22, 2023.  Here are the links for you.

I've been there several times and wouldn't you know it, my photos from back in 2021 have disappeared so I have to start over.  Not good timing!

Hoping you all have a great day, stay safe and keep well. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Montevideo, Uruguay has been a frequent stop for us, since we've been there on every South America cruise we've taken.  My lists show we have seen Montevideo, Uruguay four times.  The first two were on Star Princess and Ruby Princess in 2012 and 2015, on circumnavigation cruises of South America.  The last two times were on Antarctica cruises going from west coast to east coast so near the end of the cruises which ended in Buenos Aires.  2017 was the end of the Seabourn Quest Antarctica/S. Georgia Island cruise and 2020 was on Coral Princess on our drive by of Antarctica.  In 2020 we didn't even get off the ship that day and prepared for our departure in Buenos Aires by packing our bags.

Our 2012 visit to Montevideo was a real disappointment to us.  The city was run down and I hate to say it, but the sidewalks were littered with dog feces.  Not just a little, but a lot!  We had to keep our eyes down as we walked around trying to see the sights.  Friends were with us on that cruise and they can verify that memory.  A few photos of note from 2012. 

I thought this was a beautiful ornate lamp post which looked like drinking fountain spouts at the base.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

An interesting display of produce more vertical than horizontal

On an afternoon bus ride we saw several bronze sculptures around town.  This is a stagecoach monument, La Diligencia.

And La Carreta (the cart) which commemorates ox carts which were important in the area in the 19th century.

So on our second stop there in 2015 we were a little leery but went out anyway.  We were so relieved to see the city had been doing a clean up the prior 3 years.  We had an enjoyable time seeing the sights, and repeated that experience again in January 2017. 

In 2017 we got a shuttle ride to the Plaza Independencia, one of the city’s most important squares.  Several of the city’s most famous landmarks are here including the Palacio Salvo and the Teatro Solis.  Our intention was to walk back to the ship.  Here goes!

This arch is the gateway to the old fortified city

Pedestrian walking street

Constitution Square, a place to sit and people watch, shop from the local vendors, and gaze at/listen to the fountain.

Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral across from Constitution Square

One of many beautiful views inside the church

On our walk back to the dock we saw this statue in Plaza Zabala.  But why is there no pigeon sitting on the man’s head?

We made it back to the ship in fine shape and ready to enjoy the evening.  Dinner was at 7 pm and before that we had some special local entertainment.  We had dancing by two couples, an excellent singer, followed by a comedian and dancing for all accompanied by the musicians.

That's all for Montevideo for today.  I hope you enjoyed this brief visit.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Montevideo, Uruguay has been a frequent stop for us, since we've been there on every South America cruise we've taken.  My lists show we have seen Montevideo, Uruguay four times.  The first two were on Star Princess and Ruby Princess in 2012 and 2015, on circumnavigation cruises of South America.  The last two times were on Antarctica cruises going from west coast to east coast so near the end of the cruises which ended in Buenos Aires.  2017 was the end of the Seabourn Quest Antarctica/S. Georgia Island cruise and 2020 was on Coral Princess on our drive by of Antarctica.  In 2020 we didn't even get off the ship that day and prepared for our departure in Buenos Aires by packing our bags.

Our 2012 visit to Montevideo was a real disappointment to us.  The city was run down and I hate to say it, but the sidewalks were littered with dog feces.  Not just a little, but a lot!  We had to keep our eyes down as we walked around trying to see the sights.  Friends were with us on that cruise and they can verify that memory.  A few photos of note from 2012. 

I thought this was a beautiful ornate lamp post which looked like drinking fountain spouts at the base.

An interesting display of produce more vertical than horizontal

On an afternoon bus ride we saw several bronze sculptures around town.  This is a stagecoach monument, La Diligencia.

And La Carreta (the cart) which commemorates ox carts which were important in the area in the 19th century.

So on our second stop there in 2015 we were a little leery but went out anyway.  We were so relieved to see the city had been doing a clean up the prior 3 years.  We had an enjoyable time seeing the sights, and repeated that experience again in January 2017. 

In 2017 we got a shuttle ride to the Plaza Independencia, one of the city’s most important squares.  Several of the city’s most famous landmarks are here including the Palacio Salvo and the Teatro Solis.  Our intention was to walk back to the ship.  Here goes!

This arch is the gateway to the old fortified city

Pedestrian walking street

Constitution Square, a place to sit and people watch, shop from the local vendors, and gaze at/listen to the fountain.

Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral across from Constitution Square

One of many beautiful views inside the church

On our walk back to the dock we saw this statue in Plaza Zabala.  But why is there no pigeon sitting on the man’s head?

We made it back to the ship in fine shape and ready to enjoy the evening.  Dinner was at 7 pm and before that we had some special local entertainment.  We had dancing by two couples, an excellent singer, followed by a comedian and dancing for all accompanied by the musicians.

That's all for Montevideo for today.  I hope you enjoyed this brief visit.

Interesting photos Sandi.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Roy @rafinmd for today's daily reports.

It is 46°F and sunny here.

3 interesting days and good quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers uplifted for all on the care list.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Screenshot_20240502_102215.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Another sea day with a noticeable ocean swell. Went to a tech lecture just finished lunch and I believe our next activity is nap time.

Thanks for the fleet report and post. Bruce

• Like 34

Today’s Care List:

YourWorldWithBill traveling to Rotterdam today

Sharon in AZ traveling to Dallas today

StLouisCruisers driving to Tampa today

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s post eye surgery issues

Dfish’s test injection for nerve ablation

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with stroke, out of ICU but with issues

Smitty34877 with injured left shoulder

Atexsix (Bruno) mourning his DD DD and dealing with the business matters

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Ger_77’s DH Maurice with tentative date for TAVR surgery

Vict0riann’s DD arriving for a 2 week stay

Niagarawine’s DH getting a good cancer checkup

Sharon in AZ’s DM improving

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery, sleeping well

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam May 5 to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic

3 days for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore May 5 to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas

ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 27

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Another warm muggy day here today. It's currently 67 degrees (91% humidity) with a forecasted high of 92 degrees. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

IMG_0884.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Safe travels, hugs, and prayers for us all.

Smashing Pumpkin cocktail:

While pumpkin isn’t the most commonly used ingredient in bartending, there are a number of cocktails that do utilize falls’s most iconic squash. The Smashing Pumpkin, from bartender James Horn, gets its pumpkin infusion with a homemade lemon-pumpkin soda. Combined with rum and allspice liqueur, two consummate autumnal flavors, the unconventional highball is a fall treat that’s enjoyable year-round.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 ounces aged rum
1/2 ounce allspice liqueur
3 ounces lemon-pumpkin soda*, chilled *
Garnish: bay leaf

Directions:

Add the rum and allspice liqueur to a Collins glass filled with ice.
Top with the lemon-pumpkin soda.
Garnish with a bay leaf.
*Lemon-pumpkin soda: Add 12 ounces pumpkin puree (canned, or to make fresh, roast seeded pumpkin at 350° Fahrenheit for 45 minutes and puree in a food processor), 4 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice and 2 ounces water to a shaker and shake to thoroughly incorporate. Add mixture to a soda siphon and charge with 1 CO2 cartridge.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 6.10.58 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It should be a nice spring day here according to the forecast 🤞.  I hope so, I've got lots of things to do in the garden.

Three good days.

I've heard that quote many times, it's so true.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, not sure about the wine.

Thanks @StLouisCruisers for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers and hugs for those on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific Thursday.  Stay safe.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

A warm 73 this AM heading up to 88 this afternoon, highs in the 90s coming up next week.

Good selection of days.

The quote is right on the money.

I’ll pass on the meal.

I’ve been to Montevideo, the one in Minnesota not in Uruguay.

Had a Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde round yesterday shooting a 35 on the front nine and a 44 on the back 9, wheels sort of came off but I did get it back on the last 3 holes.

We will make it to the beach today.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates.  Three interesting days to recognize.  The business fraternity that I belonged to in college followed Robert’s Rules of Order during our monthly meetings, very complicated and structured.  Not sure why we needed to learn them because I never went to one business meeting in my career where they were used.  The meal sounds promising but I’ll pass on the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Praying for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 29

The much needed nap was a success and we will soon be attending trivia and when that’s over getting ready for cocktails followed by dinner.

Last night they closed Windows (Lido) and put on a feast for crew. It’s very obvious that this is a Happy Ship and the crew is very well taken care of.

@JazzyVI’m very happy to hear that your recent surgery is giving you some pain relief. I hope that continues.

Tonight we will be dining in Aqualina our Italian specialty restaurant with a couple from Toronto. Follow that with our guest ventriloquist whom we enjoyed on his first show.

So not much else to share. Have not seen a ship for days now and there are times when we walk into a venue and we are the only ones there.

Enjoy your day. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

We enjoyed Montevideo in February. While waiting for the sky to clear and begin our walk, we saw fresh fish being inspected by the executive chef before being weighed and brought on board the Oosterdam.IMG_9063.thumb.jpeg.bce41f97cde11d858fd30ea984452327.jpegWe took a nice walk through town.IMG_9070.thumb.jpeg.5e66250f25976f6fe48e30e017fb142a.jpeg

IMG_9078.thumb.jpeg.b73dae1a7539893cafa7514370880802.jpeg

My favorite stop was the Museo Del Carnaval.  Uruguay celebrates the longest Carnival in the world and this museum showcase the event with costumes, videos and photographs celebrating its history.  It is a short walk from the terminal and less than &4 US to enter.IMG_9085.thumb.jpeg.b3951f9835f3ba9552ef49b640d80bd0.jpeg

IMG_9089.thumb.jpeg.517aafb2f2d5964b5028cffdf564d50c.jpeg

IMG_9094.thumb.jpeg.ac0850db4004c03543264df6216b3826.jpeg

Sailing away.IMG_9102.thumb.jpeg.9da33dc548c506ac272ae34bb7a807bd.jpegPositive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

Sandi, many thank for the Daily FR and wonderful spotlight on Montevideo.  Smooth travels and fun times celebrating! 👩‍🎓🎉

I had a pleasant day in Montevideo in early 2013 on our repositioning of Carnival Splendor before the new larger Panama Canal locks. I thought it was a striking mix of old and new and many of your pictures seemed familiar. I bought some jewelry pendants from one of those vendors in the park in one of your photos. Some people on our ship were getting info from our tour guide so they could come back and stay, it’s seemed a great place to visit, not crowded, lots to do, easy to explore. They told us the name came from the early cartographers identifying the location as the fifth (Roman numeral V) mountain (Mont) from where the coast was first visible. 

I was drained last night and only slept till 5:43. We’ll see what the day brings. 

Annie and Chuck, we’re here with you!  Would you consider a visit to MDAnderson in Houston or maybe Mayo in Jacksonville?  Or a Cancer Centers of America?  A place that can deal with evaluating and addressing multiple situations together. We found MDAnderson well equipped to set up team evaluations, consults and integrated treatment plans. They were such a caring environment! They were great at getting records, images, test results. I was very impressed. Our first visit we stayed in a Comfort Inn for a week or so… had consults, tests, scans, used their multiple libraries. For our long visit for treatment we rented a trailer in a trailer park. Worked great!   My life journey has taught me that when what we’re doing isn’t working, we have to do something different. Prayers for direction for a new path!  

Gerry, I’m so happy you have dates beginning to firm up. 🤞I’m sure they can’t come soon enough. You are inspiring me the way you keep so level. 

Blessings to all our Care list in need of healing, comfort or hope!  So many of us!  All in my heart and prayers. 

Cheers to all celebrating 🎉 milestones!  Life is Good 🌈

Smooth travels to all away and our many cruising friends. 

DH is still asleep, the best healing!  I’m bracing for a new day. Thank you all for being here!
Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all,

Happy Thursday.

Thank you to Sandi, Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Tina, Ann, Dixie and Graham for your contributions that keep this thread alive.

The days are interesting, however we will pass on the food and drink, but will wait to see what the wine description is before passing judgment.  

I have seen the quote before and totally agree with it.

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers for those celebrating and cruising.

I have been to Montevideo. We had a very nice tour of the town followed by a wine tour at the Varela Zaranz winery with lunch.  It was very nice.  We bought some wine and brought it back to the ship and was able to use it at dinner.  This was before HAL began instituting their stricter wine policy.   We kept one case to take home. That was easy since we disembarked in Fort Lauderdale and our car was waiting for us.

There is not much on the agenda today.  It i quiet and calm.  Hopefully things stay that way.  I will attend a support group this afternoon.  I have only gone to two prior meetings.  Not sure how helpful they are but will continue for the time being.

I am in the process of weaning off the Prednisone and so far I have not had another flare-up of the PMR.  For this I am grateful.  Unfortunately, I still have continual pain in my right shoulder from the rotator cuff tear.  I have not been able to move up the appointment with the orthopedist so I continue to wait until May 28 for that.  It is not easy to try to do everything with only one arm.  Thankfully DH is quite helpful when needed.

Not much else to report. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Our last day to prep for our cruise nest week. We are hoping to get an early start tomorrow. Still need to pack. Changed the oil yesterday and need to cut the grass. Upper 80's today for the forecast.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and fleet reports. 

Cloudy and a high of 85. Another busy day for me. I have a meeting, clients, and my class later this evening. Fancy will want to go outside although she will be disappointed as she loves stretching out in the grass in the sun. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Thirsty Thursday - Imgflip

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi! Safe travels today. Roy, thank you for our maps. It is another exquisite morning, though it is getting warmer. Luckily the Easterly winds have kept the humidity at bay. For now. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I love reading how well you are doing!

Gym, a much needed haircut, lunch at a friend’s, Bindi walks, chores and a dip in the pool. The water temp is a perfect 89.4.😎

IMG_2816.jpeg.c66a689a6f788827fefb9bc81ccd1988.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg.5ebf3c38547b9e41ddbc7068809e48f1.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg.66e4962a0fed1bd9ae8aa5190281668a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers.

Terry, I am so proud of you for asking for help. It is often the most difficult thing to do. ❤️ Praying that Tana has a good day. 

Gerry, thrilled to read that Maurice has an unofficial surgery date. 
Maureen, praying that Richard’s eye improves.

Annie, keeping you & Chuck in my prayers.

Praying that Amber’s condition improves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Bodegas Godeval 2022 Godello Godello (Valdeorras)

This Spanish white wine sounds interesting. I would love a taste, since I know I have never had it before. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $16.99.

Distributor notes

Vina Godeval was founded in 1986 and is one of the leading artisanal wine producers in the Valdeorras area of Galicia in north west Spain. Only the Godello grape is grown here on the estate's 15 hectares of vineyards. It is indigenous to Galicia but can also be found in northern Portugal and makes particularly fine, vibrant and minerally whites. Valdeorras is a Spanish wine appellation in an area of Galicia also known as 'Green Spain' and means 'Valley of Gold'. As well as Godello, Valdeorras is renowned for its red wines produced from the Mencia and Garnacha Tinto grapes. This particular 100% Godello is unoaked and was vinified in stainless steel tanks.

A clear pale-lemon in colour. subtle aromas of citrus fruits, beeswax and wild flowers. On the palate, crisp with a pronounced mineral backbone leading to a lively yet lengthy finish. Great with boquerones en escabeche (Moorish pickled anchovies), artichokes with clams, bacon and piquillo peppers or a chunk of aged Manchego cheese.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 4

Good morning!!

Thank you for all the Reports!!

I have been the Parliamentarian for many groups and Roberts Rule of Order is precise and difficult at times!!  

I'm looking forward to hearing what Sorrel Pesto is...  ????

I hope and pray everyone is having a good day in their life!!  Bless each and every one of you!!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

I don't know if it made the national news but they recovered one more worker from the Francis Key Bridge.  One family still waiting for closure.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 24