The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 2nd, 2024

Good morning all!

It's a gorgeous sunny day in the PNW, heading for the low 60's.  I have a lunch date with a friend and hope to garden after that this afternoon.

I'll pass on the drink (pumpkin) and meal, but would love to try the Spanish white wine.  We haven't been to Montevideo, but I'm pretty sure it's on the '26 World Cruise itinerary.  Thank you to all who posted the wonderful photos!

Annie @marshhawk My heart breaks for you and your DH.  Praying that the right doctor and treatment will help him.

@1ANGELCAT Thank you for posting Houdini's photo -- what a sweet face.  I hope the vet can help tomorrow.

Debbie @dfish Fingers and toes crossed for you that the test injections show that nerve ablation would work.  Hugs!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.  My very first job was as a clerk in a life insurance office, that’s where I learned to read upside down while waiting for the agents to give me their paperwork. When on a BHB I always make sure to have a few strawberry margaritas to prevent scurvy.  It’s worked so far, so I’m not about to stop.   The guy who wrote Robert’s Rules must have been a real blast at a party. (rolls eyes)

Okay, so yesterday I did something totally random.  I knew that @jhannah and his wife were going to be in Edmonton after enjoying their Rocky Mountaineer trip, so I said to DH “We’ve got nothing on the agenda, so why don’t we go there and meet them?”  He thought for a moment and said “Sure, why not?”  We called our neighbour to take care of Sochi, booked a room at their hotel, tossed some clothes into our travel bags and drove the 5.5 hours to meet friends we’ve known online for almost 20 years (thanks to Cruise Critic), but never met in person.

What a great experience it was, it felt like getting together with old friends, as we’ve also followed each other on Facebook over the years, so know much about our families as well.   We had a lovely dinner together with great conversations, and retired back to our respective rooms later in the evening.   Today looks like a good day for them to see West Edmonton Mall.  Here’s a photo of us at dinner last night.

IMG_5952.thumb.jpeg.0e4b835a5e7161a32ed9accb0b839b49.jpeg

L-R:  Jim, Donna, me, Maurice 

@marshhawk, my heart hurts reading what you and Chuck are going through.  I pray he gets some relief from his pain and you both can get back to enjoying life.

I’ll pass on the drink, the wine, and I’ve only ever had sorrel in a German borscht called “summaborscht”.   Not sure where dinner will be, possibly Montana’s, but whatever is served, it will be made even better with the company we’re in.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

PS please forgive any typos, etc., as I’m using my iPad mini but forgot the portable keyboard at home in my hast to get on the road!

Gerry, I'm glad you could do a quick getaway and meet and visit with long time friends.  Great picture.

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a bright sunshiny day here in mid-MIchigan.  I made it home last night around midnight.  I stopped in Detroit for a program that a friend was involved in.  After the program he wanted to go to dinner, so we went. But the restaurant was in Ann Arbor, just a tad out of the way.  It was worth it, though!  Sue was waiting for me when I got home.  So we sat up and chatted for a bit. 

I have the test injections for the nerve ablation today.  If these help for a few hours, the nerve ablation is a go.  Fingers crossed!  That is the only thing on the agenda for me. 

@marshhawk Annie, hugs to you and Chuck.  I hope you can get some help from Chuck's oncologist.  

I'm delighted to hear how improved things are for you, @JazzyV Vanessa!  It is a shame that it took so long to get to this point, but thank goodness the surgery was successful!  @smitty34877 Terry, be careful with the shoulder, but you know what you can do and not do.  

@ger_77 Gerry, I am thrilled that you have tentative surgery dates for Maurice.  We do want him in tip top shape for our Dailyite cruise in November 2025.  

Yesterday's pesto chicken looked good to me.  We may have that or something similar for Farkle Friday tomorrow night.  For those who want something a little different, the sorrel pesto could be used.  This recipe replaces some of the basil in the pesto with sorrel leaves.    https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/sorrel-pesto-recipe

sorrelpesto1.png.504f5eab3bc7c3657e007c7d2224a02e.png

Sorrel is described as a lemony flavored green.  It is a powerhouse of vitamins and help support digestive health, eyesight, and more.  But, it comes with a word of caution as it is high in oxalates and those with kidney stone histories may want to opt for lower oxalate foods.  This next recipe adds in some hazelnuts.  https://sabrinacurrie.com/sorrel-pesto-recipe-west-coast-food/

sorrelpesto2.thumb.jpg.2d7bcbf8d6cf49633fbec18fcd497223.jpg

What do you do with sorrel pesto?  Pretty much the same way you use basil pesto.  It is perfect for mixing through a pasta dish.  Here's a sorrel pesto rice bowl.  https://plumscooking.com/recipes/sorrel-pesto-rice-bowl/

sorrelpesto3.thumb.jpeg.5c9a1445a8a6612e536c9c620e3c7737.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Debbie, fingers crossed the test injections work and you can schedule the nerve ablation.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Life Insurance can be important. I fear Roberts Rules of Order has gone by the wayside. I'd think scurvy is rare these days. Good quote. I'll pass on the meal (pesto), drink and wine. I have been to Montevideo on my 2019 SA/Antarctica cruise. 

It's another sunny and warm day here, high of 83F. BFF went home last night, for early AM appointments and to cut his grass. I hope my guys come to mow, as the grass is tall from rain and being fertilized. BFF will be back this afternoon, and we're going out for dinner. I'm still sleeping downstairs in the recliner, but may try the upstairs bed this weekend. The incisional pain is lessening, and I have no leg pain or tingling!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today. Thanks for the Montevideo photos. Safe travels today. 

@aliaschief Thanks. And enjoy your Italian specialty restaurant tonight.

@0106 Nice photos.

@RMLincoln I hope you can get some good rest to strengthen you for whatever lies ahead.

@Cruzin Terri The support group sounds like a good idea. I hope the prednisone taper continues successfully.

@Heartgrove Safe travels tomorrow.

@grapau27 That area of your house looks very inviting.

@smitty34877 I do hope you are on the mend! 

@1ANGELCAT I hope Houdini will be ok.

@rafinmd Thanks for the maps. Also for letting us know about another soul found at the bridge collapse site.

@marshhawk Prayers for you and especially DH as he deals with his medical issues. I'm glad your Head Boss realizes your value to them.

@ottahand7 Great Montevideo photos.

@ger_77 What a great adventure, going to meet your online friends. Nice photo of you all. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating. 

Approaching Montevideo

360112876_001-01_06.19ApproachingMontevideoUruguay.thumb.jpg.aaa682975667cb90553841e87cfde767.jpg

1594556351_006-01_06.19Montevideo.thumb.jpg.41e55c545b011c239fe0e07b72461102.jpg

Zaandam and NCL Norwegian Sun in port

1056222020_058-01_06.19Returningtotheship.thumb.jpg.d53ec13b091a3acf5ab3524cdc07bf7f.jpg

Plaza Independencia

1882337320_052-01_06.19PlazaIndependenciaMontevideo.thumb.jpg.66df7875fc5866d7f0a43336efd71d1b.jpg

Palacio Salvo

249213903_054-01_06.19PalacioSalvoMontevideo.thumb.jpg.338584aa11c1f6775570e8e2519549a9.jpg

Plaza de Toros, abandoned bull fighting ring, Colonia del Sacromento

1726978475_014-01_06.19PlazaDeToros.thumb.jpg.5e1062bf5b194b3c934c82ab036f7ae5.jpg

Street of sighs, with very old houses, Colonia Del Sacromento

1476823357_026-01_06.19StreetofSighs(CalledelosSuspiros)withveryoldhouses.thumb.jpg.7551be9e4f0eb85d8eb4816422848ada.jpg

1688846531_028-01_06_19.thumb.jpg.efb78bc4c597921dbdba49cc846db8b3.jpg

Buenos Aires in the distance

491463834_037-01_06.19BuenosAiresinthedistance.thumb.jpg.b752bcf6ff22c70711a8090b6992331e.jpg

Man drinking maté - the traditional SA drink

1180038959_039-01_06.19MandrinkingMate.thumb.jpg.087c963b74a7ff8ad18594c2da1cb1da.jpg

Vanessa, I'm glad you are sleeping well and the pain from the incision is easing.  The best news continues to be no leg pain and tingling.  Enjoy a much deserved dinner out tonight.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Montevideo twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III in the time of non digital cameras.  The second was in 2015 on the Ruby Princess.  We walked around town some and then took the Ho-Ho.  When we saw the long line at the first stop, we just stayed on until we got back to the starting point.  My pictures are just random ones from the Ho-Ho and from our walk.

We were there on a Sunday, and most of the stores were closed.  The activity picked up a little in the afternoon.

DSC02574.thumb.JPG.8f821f2b3f6c0986795d58e252c082e3.JPG

DSC02609.thumb.JPG.ba1df98a1cae3e9e985bf182f1e7f64f.JPG

Some scenes from our Ho-Ho ride.

DSC02584.thumb.JPG.8bb024fb55582bab4b10f3f95974b823.JPG

DSC02587.thumb.JPG.a5a93f003dfa2c5e3db1e4f3f6b9d873.JPG

DSC02592.thumb.JPG.d16f42cb0d79a8a892e749420e10cb61.JPG

DSC02600.thumb.JPG.7ae5ba1b5a2365181e73e75ab684551e.JPG

A view of their lovely beaches.

DSC02596.thumb.JPG.4a3797c4289794a187555254a5349752.JPG

After our tour, we walked around and back to the port.  These are from an indoor arcade.

DSC02602.thumb.JPG.ab8a71df267fe7a52936eab11a8c18ec.JPG

DSC02603.thumb.JPG.adccd7f820da16871277737d1a62dc46.JPG

DSC02606.thumb.JPG.c52e9855544c9c9dc73ef185222fcc7f.JPG

Some interesting things around the port entrance.

DSC02610.thumb.JPG.4f57d513baf536cc381dcf69d346dd75.JPG

DSC02612.thumb.JPG.e0ef2d8a15bde1ee99f4a9a7dc8f8457.JPG

DSC02616.thumb.JPG.d56d9cdbbd112a637bbeb3863f00d4a7.JPG

Pictures as we sailed, including the lighthouse on top of the building.

DSC02620.thumb.JPG.ff05cc4d54ac672292fdcb696bc137a0.JPG

DSC02618.thumb.JPG.4866e5013d2aa44778577d9dc4c2554c.JPGDSC02623.thumb.JPG.eeff1f838d2d3799648b6c864ec900bd.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos and funny memes Lenda.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

The test injections were quick and easy.  We went to Lowe's right afterwards and normally walking around the store would be painful.  Today it wasn't.  Even standing in one place did not produce pain.  When we got home I took a walk around the block and was able to go all the way with only one stop to talk briefly with a neighbor.  

The trillium is in full bloom here.  These pictures are for the Garden Club.  

IMG_3327.thumb.JPG.4a2bef2ed01f25ef7bc492bc1d74a030.JPG

IMG_3329.thumb.JPG.e89a6608901c2ad7e3e20ddf4a0a4430.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Today's sunrise is from a 2015 trip including a transatlantic on Crystal Serenity and a B2B on MS Prinsendam.  On May 2 I was on Amtrak's Silver Star on the way to Miami to meet Serenity:

dawn0502.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 good days to recognize, pass on the drink, would try the meal & wine, not been to the port & appreciate the pictures everyone is posting. Big day in theatrical history.

@1ANGELCAT hope all goes well for Houdini tomorrow. 

@JazzyV good to hear you're progressing well & are pain free.

@marshhawk praying for you & DH to find the right care. I understand the frustrating helpless feeling watching someone continue to smoke even though.... extra hugs headed your way.

@dfish 🤞 for good outcome on the injections.

YAY Stars🏒 and Mavericks 🏀 - want to keep this a jinx-free zone so I won't say it, but I know @BetsyS. will 😉

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, 

As @Cruising-along mentioned we're having a lovely day here with sun and nice temperatures. Tomorrow is to be a repeat and somewhat warmer and then back to rain. 

Yesterday was busy with 2 water aerobics classes in the morning and then I met a friend at Panera for lunch. We taught together and it was nice to catch up. 

Today has been laundry and getting some walking in. My goal is my craft room/office/mess and I promised myself I wouldn't start a new jigsaw puzzle until I got it more organized. Notice I said "more" and not "totally". I'm also gearing up for graduation. I have up to 24 former students graduating this year so need to track them down and double-check on their status. I'll be on the Majestic Princess on graduation day. I send all my former students I can connect with a card and a $5.00 Starbucks gift card. Next year will be my last class. We were a small rural school and I have kids graduating this year, and next, who I taught their parents and siblings as well. 

No to the drink and meal, maybe on the wine on a BHB. Have a lovely rest of the day! 

Karen

• Like 20

23 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon.

The test injections were quick and easy.  We went to Lowe's right afterwards and normally walking around the store would be painful.  Today it wasn't.  Even standing in one place did not produce pain.  When we got home I took a walk around the block and was able to go all the way with only one stop to talk briefly with a neighbor.  

The trillium is in full bloom here.  These pictures are for the Garden Club.  

IMG_3327.thumb.JPG.4a2bef2ed01f25ef7bc492bc1d74a030.JPG

IMG_3329.thumb.JPG.e89a6608901c2ad7e3e20ddf4a0a4430.JPG

Debbie, I'm very happy that the test injections worked and you can now have the ablation.  The trillium ae pretty.

Lenda

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm very happy that the test injections worked and you can now have the ablation.  The trillium ae pretty.

Lenda

+1 @dfish

• Like 8

Hi all!  We made it safely to the Airbnb at 3 pm, check in time.  Then went to Winn-Dixie for beverages and snacks for our stay here 4 nights.  DD's plane is heading this way and I've been checking Google maps for how bad the traffic is back across the 275 bridge to the TPA airport.  We will probably leave an hour ahead of her scheduled arrival and wait in the cell phone lot.  Just wanted to check in with everyone.  Thanks for the safe travel wishes!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

By the way StLouisCruiser, when do you sleep? 😳

Umm, I sleep about 5 hours a night.  Sometimes I give in and take a nap.😴

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi all!  We made it safely to the Airbnb at 3 pm, check in time.  Then went to Winn-Dixie for beverages and snacks for our stay here 4 nights.  DD's plane is heading this way and I've been checking Google maps for how bad the traffic is back across the 275 bridge to the TPA airport.  We will probably leave an hour ahead of her scheduled arrival and wait in the cell phone lot.  Just wanted to check in with everyone.  Thanks for the safe travel wishes!

I'm pleased to hear you have arrived safely Sandi.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Time for a quick check in.  After breakfast the 4 of us got in our car and headed off to see West Edmonton Mall.  We wandered around a good while, watched the sea lion show, then stopped for lunch.  After ordering, my phone rang - it was the TAVR coordinator calling to say Maurice’s case had been approved and he was officially scheduled for the replacement on May 22nd.  I was so relieved, I burst into tears right in the middle of Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.   The waitress came running over to see if everything was okay, but DH explained it this way:  “She cries when she’s sad, and she cries when she’s happy.  This is a happy cry.”   Now we can relax, knowing the surgery will take place and bring with it a return to good health for DH.  Hallelujah!!!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Time for a quick check in.  After breakfast the 4 of us got in our car and headed off to see West Edmonton Mall.  We wandered around a good while, watched the sea lion show, then stopped for lunch.  After ordering, my phone rang - it was the TAVR coordinator calling to say Maurice’s case had been approved and he was officially scheduled for the replacement on May 22nd.  I was so relieved, I burst into tears right in the middle of Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.   The waitress came running over to see if everything was okay, but DH explained it this way:  “She cries when she’s sad, and she cries when she’s happy.  This is a happy cry.”   Now we can relax, knowing the surgery will take place and bring with it a return to good health for DH.  Hallelujah!!!

Gerry, that's really awesome news.  I bet we're all doing a happy dance.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Woo hoo!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Checking in late today.  Today was our Quilting Group meeting at church.  Got home and then off to the vet for Cooper's follow up dental visit. Everything is healing well!  

Haven't been to the port, not sure about the dinner or the drink.  Thanks for all of the pictures today!  I'm working on a loaf of sourdough bread.  My 1st loaf was good, #2, not so much!  We'll see how this one turns out.  I wanted to use some whole wheat flour, but I think that was the problem last time.  It never rose...this time it seems to be rising ok with bread flour.  😊

@grapau27I want to come and visit you!  

@ger_77Great news that surgery is scheduled!  

@dfishGood news that the test blocks helped today! 

@marshhawkprayers for you and DH. 

@JazzyVGood to hear that things are going well with you! 

Blessings on your evening, Karen

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3