The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 19th, 2024

Today is Boys Club and Girls Club Day, Hepatitus Testing Day, and May Ray Day

The reason there are two senators for each state is so that one can be the designated driver. - Jay Leno

Meal Suggestion for today - Salmon Rice Bowl
Drink of the Day - Caipiroska
Wine of the Day - 2019 Merlot
Destination of the Day - Conflict Islands PNG, Papua New Guinea

Today in History:
1643 Massachusetts Bay, Plymouth, Connecticut and New Harbor form the United Colonies of New England

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-20

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-20

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Alesund, Norway eta 05-20

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 20:00

Oosterdam

Santorini Island, Thira, Greece 08:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

Dublin, Ireland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 7:00-15:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Cobh-Cork, Ireland eta 05-21

0519World.thumb.png.fc9ac170fceb96c55b0516bd44ffc3fd.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 22

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7 leaving for the cabin

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

RMLincoln’s DH requiring eye drops & pressure massages for drainage incision

JazzyV’s BFF with a fall and sustaining a tib-fib fracture, surgery 5/21

Victims of flooding and storms across the country; fires in Canada

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Marshhawk’s DH’s vascular surgery not successful

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with a stroke, now in rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home

Durangoscots attending a dog show in New Mexico

RMLincoln’s DH with eye drainage incision still open on last evaluation

Luvteaching having made progress with her stuck hip flexor muscle

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam May 25 to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage

Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 21
  • Thanks 21

The Caipirinha is Brazil’s national cocktail. Prized for its bright, complex flavor, the drink is enjoyed all over the country and, increasingly, all over the world. Its popularity has spurred numerous variations, as barkeeps tweak the classic drink by adding fruits and liqueurs or subbing in different base spirits.

That’s the case with the Caipiroska. This simple take on the Caipirinha eschews the traditional cachaça in favor of vodka. The former is Brazil’s national spirit. Similar to rum, cahcaça is distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane and characterized by its funky, grassy flavor. Vodka, on the other hand, sports a lighter, straightforward profile that yields a lighter-tasting cocktail.
Ingredients:

1 ounce simple syrup (or 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar)
1 lime, cut into quarters
2 ounces vodka
Garnish: 4 lime quarters
Directions:
Fill a rocks glass with cracked ice to chill, and set aside.
Add the simple syrup (or sugar) and lime quarters to a shaker.
Muddle to extract the juice without forcing the rind from the limes.
Dump the ice from the rocks glass into the shaker, add the vodka, and shake until well-chilled.
Pour the entire drink, including the ice, into the chilled glass, and garnish with 4 lime quarters.

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 6.23.21 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

Good morning and thank you for today's fleet reports and daily.

It is 52°F and cloudy here.

3 good days and laughable quote.

Salmon sounds nice.

Never been to today's port.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

Screenshot_20240519_113104.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good morning friends!  It's is 5 hours later here than the east coast of the U.S. so quite a little wait each day now.  The weather here in the Atlantic is 57F with partly cloudy skies.  We are moving right along at 19 knots due to fairly smooth seas.  As Rich @richwmn said we are en route to Cobh, Ireland due to arrive Tuesday.  I'm happy to visit that lovely little city again having missed it our last time due to bad weather.  Thank you Rich for the Fleet Report and Daily for today.👍

All good days to celebrate today, and I hope the quote is not true!  I'll just skip the meal, drink and wine today (though that is the most vague wine name ever).  I'm sure Ann @cat shepard is prepared for it.  Quite a big day in history for the formation of our country in the early days.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reporting today.

Prayers for our Daily Care list people, DB, Alex's twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, any hostages still held, and the troops in the region.  Good luck to all with procedures upcoming, and hoping those who recently had surgeries/procedures are progressing well.  Congrats to all celebrating special events and cruising.  We need more cruisers out there besides Bruce and myself!  Many of you are just taking a quick breather and will be back on a ship again soon.  Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping today! 

The port today is Conflict Islands, Papua New Guinea.  This was the port before on June 20, 2023.  I've decided I haven't been to Conflict Islands even though I've been to several places in PNG.  Too difficult to pinpoint so I've just decided no!  Here's the link for you.

I've already met up with a couple knitting ladies this morning.  Soon it will be lunch time here.  Tonight is dressy night with a nice menu so need to save room for that.  Last night was good in Canaletto and we had a very good wait person named Loren.  She was nice and oh so attentive!  Hoping all are well and having a good day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Good morning!!  Thank you for the reports...  I learned things this morning!!

Thank you @grapau27 for teaching me about May Ray Day...  Who knew???  And for Fr. David's message!!!

Thank you @summer slope for the Cocktail recipe.   Reading the first line, I was epecting rum in the drink and you explained it all.  Thank you!!!  I think this drink will be an addition to my favorites!!!

I'm looking forward to the Salmon Rice Bowl recipes...  I can imagine this delicious or quite bland...  Let's see what we get!

Merlot is one of my favorites...

Thank you @richwmn for all the info!!!  I'm learning much, today!!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for today’s edition of the Daily. Just another sea day here. Just attended a lecture on getting the most out of mobile device. Carl has shown us many great tips to get the most from our devices.

Time for lunch at the Patio and live music. Eat, drink, read, sleep and be waited on and be entertained is what we do.

Have a great day. Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Bindi & I encountered a brief shower during our morning walk today. This follows on the heels of last night’s wild storm. Though we had mostly rain & wind, we could see some of the massive lightning bolts over Daytona to the South. And some of the thunder booms made Bindi snuggle really close to me. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I never thought I would enjoy hearing about how much sleep a person gets each night. But I sure love reading about yours! Hope all goes smoothly for BFF this Tuesday.  

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, a visit with my Sister & Brayden and maybe some pool time. 

IMG_2886.jpeg.c457fbd0bbe570bdd5f55b89874f12ac.jpeg

I thought of Bohemian Rhapsody. 😎 What song did you think of?

IMG_2888.jpeg.9c781b227da09fe5544f5896b5babb66.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg.89026454aacb7e7e7cf49295736e8689.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2019 Stag’s Leap Merlot

Well Rich made the hunt for today’s Wine du Jour fun. The first wine that caught my eye when I searched for “2019 Merlot” was Stag’s Leap. One of the venerable vintners that helped bring Napa to the attention of the world. So that is what I bring today. 

Numerous distributors, decent price and lots of fans. Online prices start at $29.99. 

Winemaker Notes

With freshness exhibiting its southern Napa origins, the 2019 Merlot leaps from the glass with layers of ripe black cherry, blackberry, and dark raspberry, alongside baking spice notes of cinnamon spice, vanilla, and crème brûlée. Savory, chaparral notes of lavender, bay laurel, mint and thyme accompany succulent tones of cherry kirsch and bittersweet chocolate. Hints of anise and hazelnut play on the palate, a nod to the delicately interwoven oak integration. Opulent and plush with mouthwatering acidity, polished structure, and finesse, all framed by present, mouth-coating tannins, finishing with layers and depth, showcasing the balance, elegance, and grace of this exemplary Merlot.

Blend: 94% Merlot, 5% Petite Sirah, 1% Malbec

• 93James Suckling

Aromas of plums, ripe red cherries, wet stones and roses. Medium-to full-bodied with soft tannins. Juicy and succulent with a lovely bed of red fruit. So fresh, too. Enchanting. 94% merlot, 5% petite sirah and 1% malbec.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It was a little foggy when I took Bertie for his first walk, but it's sunny now.  It should get up to 27C (81F) this afternoon.  

I'll gladly celebrate May Ray Day.

Amusing quote.

Not sure about the meal but the drink and the wine sound great.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this am with a high of 86.

Good selection of days.

The quote is pretty funny but I’ll pass on the meal.

A nice glass of Merlot is my favorite red wine.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Enchanted Princess with no complaints, Princess is definitely back to the cruise line they were before the pandemic. The weather also cooperated with not one rain drop and very calm seas. We also met a lot of very nice people and of course the crew was great.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

The Caipirinha is Brazil’s national cocktail. Prized for its bright, complex flavor, the drink is enjoyed all over the country and, increasingly, all over the world. Its popularity has spurred numerous variations, as barkeeps tweak the classic drink by adding fruits and liqueurs or subbing in different base spirits.

That’s the case with the Caipiroska. This simple take on the Caipirinha eschews the traditional cachaça in favor of vodka. The former is Brazil’s national spirit. Similar to rum, cahcaça is distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane and characterized by its funky, grassy flavor. Vodka, on the other hand, sports a lighter, straightforward profile that yields a lighter-tasting cocktail.
Ingredients:

1 ounce simple syrup (or 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar)
1 lime, cut into quarters
2 ounces vodka
Garnish: 4 lime quarters
Directions:
Fill a rocks glass with cracked ice to chill, and set aside.
Add the simple syrup (or sugar) and lime quarters to a shaker.
Muddle to extract the juice without forcing the rind from the limes.
Dump the ice from the rocks glass into the shaker, add the vodka, and shake until well-chilled.
Pour the entire drink, including the ice, into the chilled glass, and garnish with 4 lime quarters.

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 6.23.21 AM.png

I never drink something I can not pronounce! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

9 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this am with a high of 86.

Good selection of days.

The quote is pretty funny but I’ll pass on the meal.

A nice glass of Merlot is my favorite red wine.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Enchanted Princess with no complaints, Princess is definitely back to the cruise line they were before the pandemic. The weather also cooperated with not one rain drop and very calm seas.

Have a great day and stay well.

Welcome home! What, no comment about the PGA golf tournament? Well, I will. I guess Scottie S. learned his driving skills from Tiger Woods. Scottie did very poorly in Round 3 yesterday. I heard he was handcuffed all day! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 13

Good cloudy morning. It’s supposed to be a nice day and getting in the 80’s this week.

I’m asking for prayers and positive thoughts for a close family friend, Shirl is having difficulty accepting the fact that she can no longer live alone. Her mental and physical health has deteriorated and her short term memory is deteriorating. Her son lives out of state and is trying to get her to move to his area. This is going to be a difficult situation as she says she doesn’t trust him, but he has proof of his good intentions. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

Just now, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cloudy morning. It’s supposed to be a nice day and getting in the 80’s this week.

I’m asking for prayers and positive thoughts for a close family friend, Shirl is having difficulty accepting the fact that she can no longer live alone. Her mental and physical health has deteriorated and her short term memory is deteriorating. Her son lives out of state and is trying to get her to move to his area. This is going to be a difficult situation as she says she doesn’t trust him, but he has proof of his good intentions. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

🙏

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Welcome home! What, no comment about the PGA golf tournament? Well, I will. I guess Scottie S. learned his driving skills from Tiger Woods. Scottie did very poorly in Round 3 yesterday. I heard he was handcuffed all day! 😀

I guess the events of Friday morning caught up with Scheffler, he is still not my favorite as I pull for Spieth and Justin Thomas but I am warming up to Scottie. 

• Like 13

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

May Ray Day! I thought this was celebrating the comedian who started the joke, “You can call me Ray”,

• Like 13
  • Haha 6

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

I hope everyone is able to have a good weekend.

Finally AMEX has given me an Offer that I can use with HAL. Still planning on our Transatlantic in October but the determining factor will be Sam's health. He managed the week we were on our MSC cruise without a problem.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping the FR&D going.

Thank you to Graham for Father David’s sermon.

Sorry I haven’t been around.  I have not been feeling well. Spending most of my days in bed.

So far today i feel a bit better and hope that whatever bug I had has left me.

I will try to catch up with all the events i have missed and read all the back posts.

Have a great Sunday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, Dixie and Graham/Father David   Three great days to celebrate..  No rays yet but possibly this afternoon

Leno has a strange sense of humor..

A great day in US history.

I have not been to Conflict Islands...

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is  Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Tiramisu as served on MS Veendam May 19, 2016,.  The appetizer:

papaya.jpg                   

Congratulations to Seize the Grey.   Off soon to walk and AV duty at church.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a warm sunshiny day here in mid-Michigan.  The high is expected to be 83F.  For the first time this season I left the windows open last night.  It helped cool the house down as it was getting stuffy in here.  It is way too early to turn the air on.  

I have decided that I am going to the pool today.  My "friend" isn't there on weekends, so that is my free time.  And then I am going to enjoy the day as there is no more furniture to assemble!

Salmon Rice Bowls – A layered bowl made up of tender jasmine rice, glazed teriyaki style salmon bites, asian cabbage slaw, fresh creamy avocado and crisp cucumber. Then for a final finishing touch everything is drizzled with a spicy sriracha mayo. It’s a flavor explosion all in one bowl!  I would leave out the rice and perhaps substitute riced cauliflower to bring the carb count down to a reasonable level for me.  In this first recipe one serving has 63g of carbohydrates, about double my allowance.  https://www.cookingclassy.com/salmon-rice-bowl/

salmonricebowl1.thumb.jpg.e3e70df5c4cce537f5334ba8232ea619.jpg

This next recipe has a lower carb count, probably because of the use of brown rice.  I'd still swap it out for the riced cauliflower.   https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7960938/salmon-rice-bowl/

salmonricebowl2.jpg.2f19553771c88f66b9cf05ad1d5ecb0d.jpg

This last one has some great ideas on swaps you can make.  Don't like salmon?  Use chicken!  Seasoning is a bit different as well.   https://www.skinnytaste.com/salmon-rice-bowls/

salmonricebowl3.thumb.jpg.2a7bb8ce4bf2f87c6818663f6d081fd9.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  I wish I could say I have had a great three days, but they have been challenging to say the least. The high light of the weekend so far is that Quiffy -the actual runt, used the litter box for the first time, and she is starting to eat crunchies with her mom.  Again, the mom cat beats up the babies, and the other three just have not caught on, with the litter box and eating. 

DH decided to work yesterday, which put the hold on grocery shopping, so that will be today. Neighbor Donna ended up having to play in a pool tournament, so I walked and fed the dog yesterday evening. We went out to dinner late, and we were the last ones to leave the restaurant.  And that was at 9. The staff was singing and dancing about the fact that they could go home. I was trying to rush DH, but he was totally not going to be rushed while eating his cobbler and ice cream.

My computer is stuck on a news article and the little post for weather just showed up, 65 and light rain, but noaa says it will get up into the low  80's, way too humid.

The race is going to be on in 30 minutes, so back to try to walk DH up, as the rest of the day will be watching the F2 and F3 and Porche series.  And this morning is french toast , made with Italian bread, and Canadian Syrup-  (an international breakfast)

I hope everyone has a great day! 

I loved the quote yesterday, and I love the one today.  Hugs!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2