The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 31st, 2024

Today is Save Your Hearing Day, What You Think Upon Grows Day, and World No-Tobacco Day

Not all those who wander are lost.--J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meal Suggestion for today - Parsnip Morning Glory Coffee Cake
Drink of the Day - Tamarind
Wine of the Day - 2019 Riesling, Weisenstein Trocken, Bastgen, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Port Said, Egypt

Today in History:
1578 Martin Frobisher sails from Harwich, England, to Frobisher Bay, Canada. Eventually mines fools gold, famously used to pave the streets of London.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06-01

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 06-01

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Nafplio, Mycenae, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 06-01

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Zuiderdam

Tallinn, Estonia 08:00 - 23:00

0531Alaska.thumb.png.bed69c14b1ed653a062cb6bc8432024c.png

0531Atlantic.thumb.png.fe33bcc9e909719db369758496befd3a.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 27

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Vict0riann awaiting biopsy results

Graham not feeling well

Marshhawk’s DH Catmando in a lot of pain

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life: PNG landslides

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with skin issues

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s in-utero identical twins

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to Vict0riann’s DH Pat!

Quartzsite Cruiser’s new golf cart

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber discharged from rehab to home

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home, doing well

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Mr. Boston (Volendam June 1 to June 8 ) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

2 days for Luvteaching (Majestic Princess June 2 to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage

MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Mtn2Sea (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels

• Like 16
  • Thanks 26

Good morning friends!  Weather here in Tallinn is lovely with sunshine and 79F.  Perfect, if you don’t mind getting a little overheated while walking.  We walked over around 10 am and got back around noon.  It was 4 miles roundtrip.  The route over has some road construction which took us longer to navigate, and I noticed a lot more tall buildings between the cruise terminal area and old town Tallinn than there were last time we were here in 2011.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily for Friday, May 31.  Interesting days to recognize especially what you think upon growing.  Never thought about it like that before.  The quote is good, no to the parsnip morning glory coffee cake, drink and wine.  What a fascinating day for Frobisher fans.  LOL 😁  Thanks Debbie @dfish,Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reporting today.

Prayers for all on the Care list, DB, Alex’s baby boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the military men and women in the area of conflict.  Cheers to all celebrating something and the cruisers, of course!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your hard work maintaining the lists for us.

Thanks to all you mentioned their enjoyment of DD’s beach tree yesterday.  With DGD Morgan getting her Marine Biology degree, and working at the Florida Aquarium, plus having attained her divemaster and dive instructor status, the ocean and its creatures are very important to her (and her Mom, too I guess.) 

The port this morning is Port Said, Egypt.  This was the port before on June 11, 2021 and Nov. 22, 2021.  These were the days where we entered and exited the Suez Canal at Port Said.  DH and I visited Port Said once and it was a very interesting day.  Here are the links and I’ll repeat my photos.

I hope everyone has a lovely Friday.  Keep safe and stay well!  We’re going to Pinnacle again for dinner tonight.  Hope I have room for dessert this time!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

In October 2014 on our Prinsendam Holy Land cruise we stopped in both Alexandria and Port Said, Egypt.  The ship did not go through the Suez Canal, but continued on to Israel.  In 2016 we entered the Suez Canal at Port Said on the Emerald Princess.

Arrival in Port Said00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKhwaN1hdjYNutJsmkVxVET?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772156

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPmJwhbxEhGMwF3_acse4q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772159

A dance group welcoming the ship00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImYePSrJWpDyIllFbO-gYq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772171

Looks like whirling dervishes!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVInSgybY9-z9_idpK6I0ce6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772177

A mosaic welcome to Port Said00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLvd-Z1bxGWpGiDLeGT_i24?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772217

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIm2Z1LV_a3SIFMd3fxNlPb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772214

We had to walk through the vendors to get out of the port area.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINFifIeFvzrDenr5xyEb1h?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772187

Cruise Director Linda Minnikin chatting with cruise passengers.  What a friendly lady she was!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAj06DdEPOVgXn4TqHFoMc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772190

We saw several citizens of Port Said who stopped us to welcome us personally to their country.  We felt like everyone wanted things to return to normal.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZD6cFh44Y1997GmSji6gP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772192

murals along a main street00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL7_EXhV_kPEBrMQkEYEQRt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772194

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJKd2rmd2CZMiGMRoMFS2k2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772197

A beautiful mosque near the port.  I wish I knew the name of it.  I'll do some research and see if I come up with it. Edited to say it looks like it could be Al Salam mosque.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIIb5ge6Mk6mm1GngKG8N0i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772196

We later walked into the local McDonalds which was not busy at all however it was very modern and clean.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOnIuVfPTNfLqxEocFFTnv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772203

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLnpBrG_gfK5bVmksIiN6hx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772205

There were as many horse-drawn buggies as there were cars on this road.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQD0TFJN3UQ8b1IRnvAhL0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772212

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL9wW0U23GRGGRyV-fBDcxX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772213

It was an interesting walk through the areas nearest the port.  We didn't walk too far from the ship.

And here's a sunrise photo taken as we entered the Suez Canal (near Port Said) on the Emerald Princess on October 8, 2016.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJw3RULc7CXfZBM2p0FnZsI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680562

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from an overcast 54°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Looking after your hearing and not smoking are so important.

The power of positive thought really keeps you going.

Not sure about today's food.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all are looking positively at making today a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240531_112928.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Friday!  Happy last day of May.

Cool and clear this morning.

Three important days.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink, hope the wine isn't too sweet.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a great day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

There were many cocktails made with the Tamarind mixture.  Add your own alcohol to make your favorite spiced up.

Aromatic lemongrass, makrut lime leaves, and spicy ginger combine with tart fruity tamarind and rich, sweet coconut sugar to create a potent and delicious Tamarind Cocktail Base that can be used in all kinds of concoctions. Combined with rum and fresh lime juice, it becomes a zippy Tamarind Daiquiri. With the addition of tequila and a splash of club soda, it becomes a refreshing Tamarind Cooler. Or try it in combination with your favorite iced tea for Tamarind Arnold Palmer. Lara Lee, who created the Tamarind Cocktail Base, also loves to add a splash of it to Dark and Stormy cocktails and Mojitos. Want to prepare your cocktail mix in advance? Simply freeze the tamarind cocktail base in ice cube trays and they will melt quickly when stirred together with the remaining ingredients.

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.52.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.43.21 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Sam continues to fail - but remain healthy. In the last month or so he gets so excited at times to eat that he loses his footing on the hard wood floors. He has done this four times now. His rear legs are useless when trying to stand as he needs to pull himself up with his front legs. We have throw rugs placed all over the place but sometimes he gets in a place without any. We eventually get him up by shifting rugs, getting a towel under his rear, etc. Each time he does this there is less ambition to stand back up. Imight try to order one of those harnesses that have a handle at the rear as well.

Have a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for the Reports.  Good Day to each of you!!

I love the Named Days, today!!  All great reasons to honor and commemorate!!! And Tolkien is truly a WISE man!!  I love to wander and go "off trail" and enjoy my surroundings and find new or undiscovered things!!  I can' PURPOSEFULLY wander!!!

Parsnips in my Coffee Cake -- maybe not!!!  But...  flavors can be hidden and textures can enhance recipes -- so I'll give it a look when we see the recipe!!

I woke to bright and flashy thunder boomers!!!   Posting from my Laptop and desk top, due to the electricity in the air is cautious!  Central Texas is having a WET DAY!!  @Seasick Sailor I'm heading to your part of this area, today!!  Taking a tour of the Historic Williamson County Courthouse and eating at the Monument Cafe...  Great choices -- both of them!

Happy Birthday to you DH, Ann @Vict0riann...  PAT:  Happy Birthday!!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy TGIF everyone.  

Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes yesterday.  They were much appreciated.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Sunny and a high of 70 today. Fancy is being treated for Lyme Disease. She had it before I adopted her, and her vet says this is either the same infection that was not treated appropriately or this is a new infection. She is not showing symptoms, but we have to watch her kidneys as they can be impacted by the disease. 

Nothing else planned for today except the usual paperwork. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Good Morning Happy Friday Quote With A Cute Kitten Pictures, Photos ...

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another spectacular morning here. Yesterday was just a perfect day. No humidity, high 80s, sunny and breezy. I will enjoy it while it lasts. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with our happenings. Hope BFF & you both continue on the path to total wellness!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, gardening and pool time. Should keep me busy. 

IMG_2940.jpeg.2a55bc1f0e92ff3635907c7bfb3e1819.jpeg

IMG_2942.jpeg.2acede7ebe6d225c74e1142bb8927f5c.jpeg

IMG_2938.jpeg.a61678f3a6056abaf0630719b4e6c532.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Vict0riann hope you get the results of your biopsy soon. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Happy Birthday, Pat! Enjoy your day!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2019 Riesling, Weisenstein Trocken, Bastgen, Mosel

I used the 2021 vintage info, since that seems to be the only vintage available online to ship to me. You might be lucky to find the 2019 vintage near you. Online prices for the 2021 vintage start at $30.99.

Distributor notes

Bastgen Berncastel-Cueser Weisenstein Riesling Spatlese Trocken is made from 100 percent Riesling.

Bright, clean, fresh and zesty. Grapefruit like flavors. Fruity aromas and a nice minerality, typical of the Riesling grape grown on blue slate soil. Round, rich and a very long finish. The grapes for this wine are vigorously selected. Botrytis is not tolerated. At harvest the grapes are fully ripened, have a golden color, and a soft tartness. After a long spontaneous fermentation in a traditional 1000L barrel, the wine just reaches the dry stage. This gives the wine a creamy structure that interplays with ripe yellow and exotic fruit aromas. 

They meticulously tend 4.5 ha (11.11 acres) of which 80% is Riesling. The soil is made of slate. Their vineyards are located in Kesten and Brauneberg, on a steep terrace, and planted to 50-year old vines. Fortunately for Bastgen, they own part of the famous Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr. The vines produce very small, ripe berries that are very tasty.

The Weingut Bastgen Estate
The property was founded in 1850 and is located in the tiny hamlet of Monzel, along the middle Mosel. The current owners are Armin Vogel (husband) and Mona Bastgen (wife) who began working in the winery in 1993. The average total production is 3,300 cases. They export mainly to Germany, Switzerland, U.K and the U.S. Their wines are bottled in screwcaps.

The Weingut Bastgen Vineyard
They meticulously tend 4.5 ha (11.11 acres) of which 80% is Riesling. The soil is made of slate. Their vineyards are located in Kesten and Brauneberg, on a steep terrace, and planted to 50-year old vines. Fortunately for Bastgen, they own part of the famous Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr. The vines produce very small, ripe berries that are very tasty.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 4

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

I wanted to give you a FYI - I probably will not be posting here very much for the foreseeable future. I am very busy at work and have several project deadlines this summer. That being said, I will still do my best to read the Daily Report at night. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

20231104_061519.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 14

29 minutes ago, summer slope said:

There were many cocktails made with the Tamarind mixture.  Add your own alcohol to make your favorite spiced up.

Aromatic lemongrass, makrut lime leaves, and spicy ginger combine with tart fruity tamarind and rich, sweet coconut sugar to create a potent and delicious Tamarind Cocktail Base that can be used in all kinds of concoctions. Combined with rum and fresh lime juice, it becomes a zippy Tamarind Daiquiri. With the addition of tequila and a splash of club soda, it becomes a refreshing Tamarind Cooler. Or try it in combination with your favorite iced tea for Tamarind Arnold Palmer. Lara Lee, who created the Tamarind Cocktail Base, also loves to add a splash of it to Dark and Stormy cocktails and Mojitos. Want to prepare your cocktail mix in advance? Simply freeze the tamarind cocktail base in ice cube trays and they will melt quickly when stirred together with the remaining ingredients.

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.52.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.43.21 AM.png

Is this drink also called “Jewels of the Sea”!

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

I wanted to give you a FYI - I probably will not be posting here very much for the foreseeable future. I am very busy at work and have several project deadlines this summer. That being said, I will still do my best to read the Daily Report at night. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

20231104_061519.jpg

Thanks for the stunning picture.

Hope all goes well w/the heavy schedule and that you are able to enjoy the summer.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I was initially put off by the parsnip idea, but I gather that in this recipe the parsnips function like grated carrots. I would probably pass on the cocktail, but the wine is a natural for the Finger Lakes. I'll go with Weis Vineyards; this is the one whose owner is from the Mosel region. Weis produces many different Rieslings in a single vintage, some representing different terroir (slate vs. limestone, for example) but I'll make it simple and nominate the flagship Dry Riesling (2022): "wonderfully crisp, clean, and full. The nice balance of minerality, fruit, and lively acidity make this a perfect wine for pouring a glass or pairing with food. It presents with notes of lime, grapefruit, guava, and lingering undertones of pear," $20.99.

I woke up too early and I didn't like that. It was 42° outdoors and I didn't like that, either.

Screenshot2024-05-31at07-39-45PicklesbyBrianCraneforMay312024GoComics_com.png.78e8ccd742cb7a805328d32680acb7c3.png

• Like 29
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Good Friday morning.  A much warmer one here with the temp at 48.  Thanks for the Daily and maps @richwmn.   Thanks for the definition of the day today Graham, Norman Vincent Peale was a positive thinker but it also can go the other way, the more one ponders their troubles, they can grow also.   I guess I should use ear plugs when running my string trimmer but it is nowhere as loud as my old gas powered one, sadly it just as heavy or more so.   A good quote by Tolkien.  I will pass on the bread, would enjoy the rum version of the Tamarind and I would love to find today's wine and would buy a case of it if I could.  Thanks for researching these for us each day and for your educational response on the making of a Tamarind cocktail Dixie.

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations report @JazzyV.   Happy birthday to your DH @Vict0riann.   🍾🎂.   Prayers for Chuck, Tana and everyone else in our group who are ailing of grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza. 

Yesterday we got our dock completely in and leveled.   I worked on string trimming and cut up three cedar logs with a hatchet and a heavy hammer.  That was enough for one day.  More of the same today, putting in the lake pipe for the water pump system for watering the yard, string trimming and probably digging up a few hostas to pot  up for next year's plant sale.   They seem to overwinter the best along with the Irises.  A Monarch Butterfly flew through the yard yesterday.  So much for slowly making their way north by generation.  Thank goodness the milkweed is up.  Have a lovely Friday.  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4