Murano Cheese Cart

We enjoyed choosing fine cheeses from the cheese cart in Murano but it was no lomger there on our last Celebrity cruise on the Equinox.  Is it gone on all ships?  In my opinion Murano had the best selection of fine cheses we have seen on the cruise lines we have been on.

10 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

We enjoyed choosing fine cheeses from the cheese cart in Murano but it was no lomger there on our last Celebrity cruise on the Equinox.  Is it gone on all ships?  In my opinion Murano had the best selection of fine cheses we have seen on the cruise lines we have been on.

Currently, GenerationX is doing a live report from Reflection and she has stated that there is a cheese cart in Murano.

32 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

It was offered on our June Eclipse sailing..And was on the menu...Only thing was it offered after we were finished with our apps and dinner...Had no room for dessert, let alone a cheese cart....Maybe this is how it's done in some places, but didn't work for us...Would've tried it earlier in the meal, and next time I will remember

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Plato123 said:

We were offered it on Equinox but we were full.  I shouldn't have had 2 appetizers!  I believe it is listed as the "Cheese Course" on the Menu.

Edited by keesar
  • Like 1

Recently I've been noticing they do not automatically bring it by but bring it over by request.  Many cruise lines are doing similar.... if you know about certain option and ask for them they are delivered but cutting costs by not delivering like they use to.    One time recently they asked us what type of cheese and didn't even bring the cart over.

Some of these cut backs are the reasons we are exploring other cruise lines.     In all fairness I even read the same things on the premium line threads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

It was offered on our June Eclipse sailing..And was on the menu...Only thing was it offered after we were finished with our apps and dinner...Had no room for dessert, let alone a cheese cart....Maybe this is how it's done in some places, but didn't work for us...Would've tried it earlier in the meal, and next time I will remember

Correct and very much what I prefer. I dislike ordering as an appetizer on other lines and then having it sit there until the end of the meal. Sometimes they will hold it when it is plated and bring it out at the end but this is more difficult and disruptive when it is served from a cart.

There is also a meager selection of crackers (cheese biscuits) served on American oriented cruise lines but I noticed this is also seems to be the case on P&O according to recent postings from cruise photos @grapau27. Obviously a high ticket item or may be they have a separate basket of crackers?

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

DH enjoys ending his meal with a glass of port and some cheese.  That was the high point of Murano for him.  

This is my preference too.

Posted (edited)

We have been offered the cart on one recent cruise but told it had a broken wheel on another ship. We were offered cheese, just not the cart. 

We told the server the type of cheese we wanted (mild, strong, soft, etc) and he made a plate for us.

The ships were Equinox and Reflection.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Plato123 said:

Soft and blue cheese was also available on P&O Arvia Epicurean speciality restaurant but we didn't want them.

IMG_20240609_192347.jpg

Every meal in Murano I have the dilemma dessert or cheese….Both are impossible!

As we generally dine in Murano’s a couple of times a cruise I always decide to alternate but then still dither as I remember ‘you can buy a great selection of cheese from your local deli but you can’t cook a Grand Marnier soufflé’….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Every meal in Murano I have the dilemma dessert or cheese….Both are impossible!

As we generally dine in Murano’s a couple of times a cruise I always decide to alternate but then still dither as I remember ‘you can buy a great selection of cheese from your local deli but you can’t cook a Grand Marnier soufflé’….

...or Crepes Balon Rouge!

Edited by Luvcrusn

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

...or Crepes Balon Rouge!

I can now make my own version of this…not perfect but yummy! Now my attempt at the Grand Marnier was a sad story!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Soft and blue cheese was also available on P&O Arvia Epicurean speciality restaurant but we didn't want them.

IMG_20240609_192347.jpg

not as apppealing as the cart.. these would be nice for afternoon snacks!

37 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I can now make my own version of this…not perfect but yummy! Now my attempt at the Grand Marnier was a sad story!

The chocolate souffle isn't to be sneezed at either! 

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Recently I've been noticing they do not automatically bring it by but bring it over by request.  Many cruise lines are doing similar.... if you know about certain option and ask for them they are delivered but cutting costs by not delivering like they use to.    One time recently they asked us what type of cheese and didn't even bring the cart over.

Some of these cut backs are the reasons we are exploring other cruise lines.     In all fairness I even read the same things on the premium line threads.

This is also cutting down on waste both for the cruise line and my waist. I can't tell you how many times a server brought me something automatically just because I made a request for it the night before. I ate it anyway just because I didn't want it to go to waste.

On Eclipse a month a go we dined in Murano and as we have done the last few times we requested our cheese course at the beginning of the meal and it has never been a problem. They did not bring the cart however.

We had the pleasure of a road trip to France last year and the cheese course comes at the end of the meal.  At one very fine dining restaurant in northern Franch they brought an unbelievable cheese cart and my husband passed on the cheese and the most entertaining server named Frederick said "No cheese no more wine!".   We all then made our cheese selections and continued on with wine.  Highlight of the evening.

That story being told, I still get my cheese course at Murano first.

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Soft and blue cheese was also available on P&O Arvia

Good to know other cheeses are available.

Still surprised at the limited choice of crackers. What is the red square?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We have been offered the cart on one recent cruise but told it had a broken wheel on another ship. We were offered cheese, just not the cart. 

We told the server the type of cheese we wanted (mild, strong, soft, etc) and he made a plate for us.

The ships were Equinox and Reflection.

That is what happened with us on Edge a couple months ago.   They would just ask for your preference and then deliver it on a plate.   Just isn't the same.    Kinda like them not flaming some of the dishes at your table.    Those little things are what made Murano special.