Help! Are all celebrity cruises for people over 55?

Oliver6144

We went on equinox last February   We we’re a party of 6   I have been on 14 rccl cruises and couldn’t wait to try celebrity   I was  ok with it but the rest of my party was disappointed because they felt like it was  older crowd.   There were ballroom dancers at every music venue   All I heard was everyone was over 55, which I disagreed with.  Anyway onto next years cruise   No one wants to do celebrity because they feel it’s an older crowd   Can anyone give me insight as to a younger ship?    Was looking at Apex  but it will take some convincing so looking for some input!   I didn’t think it was that bad but they did!  

Despite the young crowd that you will see on Celebrity commercials, that is not the demographic of Celebrity cruisers.  I noted that right away when I went from Royal Caribbean to Celebrity.  A much lower energy level and much quieter at night.   Last February on Ascent and Beyond, we had an elderly crowd with a minority of  cruisers under 50 years of age.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that age demographics are more related to itinerary than a particular ship. Shorter Caribbean cruises for example attract younger people more than 14 day itineraries since since retirees have more freedom to take longer trips.

Are you looking for a cruise that appeals to children and teens or are you all adults?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

E class are your cruise ships for the youngsters...

Thank goodness they built them..me and my 70+ year old friends approve..you are as old as you feel and act. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Oliver6144 said:

We went on equinox last February   We we’re a party of 6   I have been on 14 rccl cruises and couldn’t wait to try celebrity   I was  ok with it but the rest of my party was disappointed because they felt like it was  older crowd.   There were ballroom dancers at every music venue   All I heard was everyone was over 55, which I disagreed with.  Anyway onto next years cruise   No one wants to do celebrity because they feel it’s an older crowd   Can anyone give me insight as to a younger ship?    Was looking at Apex  but it will take some convincing so looking for some input!   I didn’t think it was that bad but they did!  

Margaritaville will be perfect for your group.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Thank goodness they built them..me and my 70+ year old friends approve..you are as old as you feel and act. 

So what is your point for the OP??? 😁  Sail M class 😁

Me thinks that the hanger oners are scaring away the people that Celebrity is trying to attract.  Just IMHO. 😁

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn’t say that the average age is over 55 on most X cruises.  But I would also say that it’s really difficult to tell how old some people are. 

Why is the age group important to

you and your friends? Do older people intimidate you or bore you? 

I have a single friend that we spend a lot of time with. We go to our local pub most weekends. She won’t go with us because the crowd is ‘old’. Doesn’t matter that the food is great, service is good, people are friendly and the price is right. It matters to her because she’s looking for a man - lol - and although she’s almost 60

she is interested in finding a 40 year old. I share this because you have to figure out why it matters. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Oliver6144 said:

We are in our late 50s and were definitely on the younger side on our recent cruises on Apex, Constellation and Reflection. On the other hand, we were on the older side on our recent RCI cruises on Independence, Radiance, Freedom (x2), Explorer, Allure, Symphony and Icon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I think that age demographics are more related to itinerary than a particular ship. Shorter Caribbean cruises for example attract younger people more than 14 day itineraries since since retirees have more freedom to take longer trips.

Agree…In our experience this is what we have noticed. Just as there are only children on board during school vacations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oliver6144 said:

If age matters so much for your friends I wouldn’t try to convince them of anything…

However, if you really want to do Celebrity again try to explain to your friends why you want them to choose Celebrity…Ambiance? Dining? There must be some features that really appealed to you. You always have the option of deciding that what your friends want and what you want may not be the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oliver6144 said:

DEFINITELY try Apex--we find the new Eclass ships to be bringing in more younger passengers (as it was intended to).

Interesting...we have sailed Celebrity 10x in the last 10 years--5 on Eclass the last 3 years.

I haven't really noticed ballroom dancers...perhaps there was a large contingent on your cruise? (occasionally there are those who choose to ballroom dance, but they are few & far between)

One of the Eclass shows is a boy band show, if that tells you anything!

I remember our 5th cruise was the week after Thanksgiving...the median age was much older than we were used to seeing. Didn't stop us from having a great time!

We just got off 28 days at sea on Princess--the crowd was definitely a bit older overall (like 80% 60 & older), but we still had a great time, even with some of those "older" folk,lol.

But music choices were many--strings (playing contemporaray music), piano, guitar & the popular dance band playing hits from the 60s-today.

Were the music & activities geared to "older folk"? I haven't noticed that on ships in some years.

I was shocked that there was a 50s night on my recent NZ cruise--uh, my parents consider the 60s their "youth" & they are 80 this year!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

It's a larger % over 55 then say Royal Caribbean or Carnival etc. I say if age is that big an issue, book another line. Most online searches will say Celebrity has a 70% over 65yrs crowd. 

Uh, have sailed 6 Celebrity cruises in the last 3 years & have not observed this at all. Many cruisers in 40s-50s. Now, these have all been Caribbean cruises, 5 on Eclass, 5 were 7 days--all those traditionally bring a younger demographic.

Now, kids are few on Celebrity which will skew the averages older.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Oliver6144 said:

I'd say it depends on ship, date and itinerary.

I did Beyond in Europe in the summer, I'd say most people were in their 40s and a decent amount of kids. This was 10 days cruise.

Summit last spring it was a mix probably a little older but it was a 4 day partial charter.

Constellation Feb this year I would say most people were over the age of 50 - and skewed older there were quite a few scooters around but this was a 12 day cruise.

I think if you stick with E class it's probably going to skew younger. But what itinerary are you looking at?

• Like 1

My demographic experiences on Celebrity, worth about what you paid for it:

• On my three "regular" cruises of 7, 7, and 5 days, I noticed a fairly diverse lot - couples of all ages, some kids, other random cruisers.  I would put the average age around 50.
  • On my three music themed charter cruises, the skew was a lot older.  I'd put the average age of all of them around 65.  Part of it was they didn't allow anyone under 21 onboard.  BTW, all three cruises had a fun-loving crowd - much more than you'd expect from a bunch of cruisers of that average age.  
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oliver6144 said:

Yes and I do not like Carnival   And I loved celebrity it was the people I was cruising with that complained not me

Sounds like you need to either not cruise together or try other lines to meet both needs - though I suspect if your need is more quiet and relaxing and their need is party party party there may not be one.

8 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I wouldn’t say that the average age is over 55 on most X cruises.  But I would also say that it’s really difficult to tell how old some people are. 

Why is the age group important to

you and your friends? Do older people intimidate you or bore you? 

I have a single friend that we spend a lot of time with. We go to our local pub most weekends. She won’t go with us because the crowd is ‘old’. Doesn’t matter that the food is great, service is good, people are friendly and the price is right. It matters to her because she’s looking for a man - lol - and although she’s almost 60

she is interested in finding a 40 year old. I share this because you have to figure out why it matters. 

The age group does not intimidate me   I happen to be over 60 and like I said I loved the cruise they found it boring and not much nightlife