The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 6th, 2024

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We decided to call and get some lunch and eat it overlooking the North sea.

Mine is a Steak pasty.

Peach Melba.

White coffee.

IMG_20240706_121341.jpg

Wow, a three course meal! (I include coffee as the appetizer)

• Like 10
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Escape to a serene oasis with the "Tranquil Waters" cocktail. This blissful libation promises a taste journey of calm and relaxation, offering a refreshing respite from the everyday hustle. With its soothing flavors and captivating hues, the Tranquil Waters cocktail embodies the essence of a tranquil beachside getaway. Whether you're looking to unwind after a long day or seeking a peaceful moment of tranquility, this cocktail is sure to transport you to a state of blissful calm.

Ingredients:

1/2 oz. lime juice
1 oz. Pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz. coconut rum
2 oz. blue curacao

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes. Add the blue curacao liqueur, coconut rum, pineapple juice, and lime juice.
Shake vigorously for about 15-20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
In a glass with fresh ice cubes strain the mixture from the shaker. If desired, top off the glass with a splash of soda water.
Garnish the cocktail with a pineapple slice or a maraschino cherry(optional).

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 6.40.45 AM.png

Always have this drink while docked in port!

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I believe that you have a Canna.  They like sun, they like water.  And they like heat.

The flower resembles a canna but it is a short plant, less than 2 feet.   Also, it is in my wildflower garden which I don’t water.  Regardless, it is beautiful and I hope it returns every year.

• Like 28

@0106 You may have a dwarf canna

• There are two categories of canna lilies, dwarf and giant. The dwarf varieties have a max height of 3 to 4 feet and giant varieties reach heights of 8 feet or more.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning Dailyites 

What!!! It's only 72 this morning. Warming to 94. No "slight chance" of rain last night, and looks clear til Monday when Beryl is due to visit.

@0106 your plant does look like a canna. Mine is going on 3 foot, and I've had it for 3 years. @kazu will know.

My sister was in good spirits yesterday. Her daughters, friends, and neighbors are keeping her from getting down in the dumps. Her MRI is scheduled for the 11th, and appts now the 18th with a surgery date. Thank you for prayers.

Graham thinking of you and Pauline. Prayers for our friends and family. Heart break watching the news for our soldiers and innocent families caught in the ravages of war. I'm praying Tana has a stronger day.

Today is Saturday,  so off to Farmer's market and lunch. I put turkey thighs in the crock pot and promised mashed potatoes and gravy for my guy. Big salad with lots of veggies and we will be set.

I'm not a zucchini liker, and will pass on the 2 days of recipes. I think I told yall in the summer we teased to lock your car doors at church or you would end up with a bag of zucchini on your seat.

I'll be happy to kiss MSH this morning. Oliver already gave me a few kisses.

Peace and blessings to each of you.

Our canna and a pink begonia loving her current position:

20240706_080834.thumb.jpg.e8dd40eb8c3aa1ca9a43379027d1dfc7.jpg

20240706_080857.thumb.jpg.768de060001794de5e1d9a3c5090db0a.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add photo
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Warm in north Jersey, low 90s for a few days. Storms popping up late in the day with the heat and humidity. We’re glad to stay inside. 
Had doctor checks yesterday. A few things to followup up on but happy that we’re healthy, together and here!  

I was AWOL yesterday and will now go read @kazu Jacqui’s news. It was earth-shattering and gut-wrenching for me when we decided to leave our home and community in NM, but inevitable. We weren’t going to be 40 again, and the future was not going to be like the past. I made 2 lists:  all the things I would NOT miss, and so many things to look forward to!  

Blessings to all, extra hugs Jacqui!  
later, Maureen 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Oh goody, the Volendam thread has been locked. 

Anyone else read about the fight on Carnival? Apparently a dozen people in the Lido about 3am broke into throwing fists and chairs and barred..

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add on
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the TGIF FR&D Kissing day sounds nice but I;ll pass on the other two...    Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana. .

I like Einstein’s quote.

Wrangell was mu very first port of call (sort of).  It was the Alaska ferry Matanuska in 1991 and it was only a short stop in the middle of the night but I did get off and walk around a bit looking at everything although it was closed.  I returned in 2010 getting off the Matanuska for an overnight and boarding Columbia the next day.  Finally, later on that trip it was a port of call on Cruise West Spirit of Columbia, their final cruise before going out of business.

A courageous act by Pope Clement VI..

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fruit Cup au Natural and Pork Picatta  as might have been served on MS Zaandam July 2, 2002 based on the corresponding menus from my 2014 Statendam Alaska cruise.   

A HOT day but I have walked in the mall will go to UPS, fire house, and grocery store this afternoon, never being outside for more than a minute or two...

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

IMG_0586.thumb.jpeg.7b541a1fca18cb4b6b45dd0a0b5708a1.jpegPositive thoughts to all.  Cheers to those celebrating!

Hmm - the top of it looks like a canna variety but the bottom petals don’t.  I don’t think it can be a canna unless your temps stay very warm in the winter since you planted it last fall.  Cannas won’t make it through the winter if there are any freezing temps - mine  had to be dug up and stored in the house.

If your temps don’t hit freezing it well could be a canna variety.  Was it just roots when you planted it or a massive bulb type thing with corms on it?

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning from a partly cloudy and breezy central Texas.  It is 73F and feels like 73F with a 5mph wind.  The humidity is 89% with a dew point of 70F.  Yesterday's rain did not amount to much, and it is not in the forecast until Monday when like Joy @Seasick Sailor Beryl is expected.  Of course, there is still a chance Beryl could change course again and miss us.  The rain also brought a cool front which dropped our temperatures into the 70s yesterday.  While it will still be hot, our predicted high will only be 92F today.  I think I'll take advantage of the cooler day and get the mowing out of the way.  Another nice thing about last night was no fireworks.  This has been a quiet but strange July 4th weekend.

Today, I think I'll skip the hand roll day.  Kissing day sounds good, and my DH is the webmaster here, but we'll not be going out to lunch today.

I like the Albert Einstein quote.

We'll skip the meal, and I firmly believe zucchini is our new butternut squash. 😁 We'll also skip the drink and the wine.

We were in Wrangel in 2011 on the Alaska ferry Matanuska.  We got off the ferry in the port, and I started to walk toward town, but soon realized that like most ferry terminals, this one was not close to town.  The light rain also played a part in my decision to return to the terminal.  We will be in Wrangel next July on the Summer Solstice cruise on Westerdam.

The Papal Bull by Clement VI in 1348 was important.

@MISTER 67  Congratulations on shooting one under your age yesterday in spite of the heat.

@0106  Tina, I agree with Annie @marshhawk that you have a canna.  While Google said the plant was a canna, I'll bow to Jacqui's @kazu expertise.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad you were able to eat something yesterday and I hope you are feeling better today.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad your two grandsons are safely back from Israel

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad your doctor visits were basically all right, and I hope the few things that need follow up on are minor.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope you and Tana have a good weekend.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I saw a news article about the fight on Carnival.  I'm glad the Volendam thread was closed.

449463791_330504870102844_2938311799327559713_n.jpg.aed35aaf8e29caca95b00acbf5d8a082.jpg

449495595_1159812788688759_5696740619637249437_n.jpg.67e6f221ea56f1ec8857e7a374180353.jpg

449722099_1004925704972349_3633471343731261397_n.jpg.611c8a06be2fefaf10fa09a4fb76ad8e.jpg

449783118_434340452919049_578801259582724602_n.jpg.b83b6d27287bc4509a531057102a6843.jpg

449789966_122153696456143162_702312252085137066_n.jpg.62ec2ccfb277283bc1700d882fe7765b.jpg

450005900_122154721358151710_8687465000883674081_n.jpg.ba863595f596207d92c4996fbecb03a1.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 15

Happy Saturday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Hazy, hot and humid. Heading up to 95 today. My plan is to hide in the house. 

I am already done with summer. 95 days until my cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Saturday Cat | Saturday quotes funny, Saturday quotes, Saturday humor

• Like 29

I found a few pictures from my walk in Wrangel.  This was the road outside the ferry terminal.

P1030713.thumb.JPG.585f59dfa3aeb8543e256c943c945328.JPG

P1030714.thumb.JPG.d089d1e61eb44c79afae7f7b147c6628.JPG

A different BHB, the Matanuska docked in Wrangel.

P1030715.thumb.JPG.dc31b43883e2d816a2f23b089d44494f.JPG

Their version of the Crow's Nest, where a lot of people who did not have a cabin slept.  There were restrooms and showers for those without cabins.

P1030668.thumb.JPG.699a4d3d4bfd15100763951cdbb277cd.JPG

The cafeteria and dining room

P1030731.thumb.JPG.b96ccd0aeaf032e060696b68454e796e.JPG

P1030730.thumb.JPG.c5235bb151181c9c4ffe068809c36544.JPG

We had a cabin with a full bath and large windows.  The only downside was the crew's smoking area was outside the cabin, so we had to be careful what we were doing when the curtains were opened.

P1030694.thumb.JPG.35aa2f575c05792a2530732323377ce1.JPG

P1030695.thumb.JPG.34fa58caa9429fa94c6e6c59f143ec11.JPG

Just like on any BHB, the crew did fire drills.

P1030719.thumb.JPG.d2901579138c351962f0725ef1dbde25.JPG

P1030720.thumb.JPG.e76d0670200028bbe1d0777ac25bfbd2.JPG

P1030721.thumb.JPG.75e9f7083e14a1f938d56514f9a3aa72.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

@Quartzsite Cruiser I loved your cabin on the Matanuska.  I had a basic cabin with no facilities but they were just a few steps away.  I wore a pair of gym shorts for trips out to the bathroom; just had to be sure I took the room key with me.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hugs 🫂 🤗 @grapau27 to you and Pauline as you remember her late brother today.💔❤️

Your memory garden is lovely. 

Thank you Elizabeth.

Pauline is 62 so didn't know her baby brother Roy.

We take flowers every month to his grave and also to Pauline's grandparents grave too.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning. We have had two thunderstorms so far today. It is 84 with 85% humidity. A very big hair day for those of us with the frizz factor to consider. 
I have not been to the port and would try the third recipe if I had any energy.

Both dogs have kissed me but that is a lucky as I will get today.

Last night I was reading in bed and the kindle dropped out of my hand and  poked a hole in my lip! Much blood ensued and today there is a square of black and blue above the lip. Tana told me I looked as if I had gotten in a bar fight. 
I have vegetarian chili bubbling on the stove for dinner later and plan on lying down for a while this afternoon. A friend of Tana’s is coming with lunch and will be able to help her as she is also a nurse. 
I was sorry to read that our Texas friends will have Beryl visiting. Stay safe everyone.

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Wow, a three course meal! (I include coffee as the appetizer)

Pauline ate hers before I had an opportunity to photo hers.

I thought.

I better photo this for the Daily and Redneck Bob.

• Like 10
  • Haha 11

Good morning! I have been on a sleeping late the past week and have no idea why? It’s only 79 degrees outside right now and cloudy so may be a bit cooler with possibilities of thunder storms. We are on a coastal flooding advisory and strong rip tides. I guess Beryl will be churning up the Gulf.

Neighbors are having us over for burgers and dogs tonight so that will be fun. Three households have been invited. 
Our house is looking great after a complete pressure washing yesterday. The driveway and sidewalk benefit the most from a good wash.

Thanks for the reports and post. Have a great day. Bruce

• Like 27

I was a webmaster for 16 years and no one ever took me to lunch on this day, or any other.

Zuke pancakes would be OK but I'm not making any. I'd skip the drink (pineapple juice). For the wine, Chateau Lafayette Reneau Petit Verdot 2018, $29.99. "A medium bodied red wine with rich flavors of black cherry and brambleberry. Rich and fruity with a lingering soft black pepper finish."

What I want to know is why companies that think they are implementing Artificial Intelligence are actually implementing Artificial Stupidity. There is plenty of natural stupidity already available.

A cheer for Pope Clement. It's widely claimed, without proof, that Jews died of the Black Death at lower rates, but the reasons advanced for it are unpersuasive to the point of being ridiculous (ritual hand-washing, Passover cleaning). Being less hostile to cats, which were widely hunted and killed in the Middle Ages because people thought they were agents of witches, or of the devil, might have made some difference. The only idea that makes any real sense, however, is that a significant percentage carried the gene for Familial Mediterranean Fever, which reduces susceptibility to yersinia pestis.

The plant does look like a canna, but cannas aren't winter hardy north of about south Georgia. One might survive in an exceptionally warm spot, such as next to the foundation of a house with a heated basement.

cicadas.thumb.gif.7929adf4476bdf4ff1e50a860a075426.gif

• Like 25
  • Haha 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We enjoyed hand rolls when we were in Japan, especially the crab and cucumber rolls.  I'll make sure to remind DH it's kissing day today.  Don't have a webmaster, so no free lunch for him/her.

It's overcast today with a slight breeze, but according to the forecast it should be quite nice with a high of 26C (78F).  With all the rain we've had and DH having fertilized the lawns, they were beginning to look like a hay crop when our lawn guy arrived to cut them yesterday.  What a difference that cut made - the lawn looks lovely again; we're so fortunate to have someone reliable to take care of them for us on a regular basis.

@Seasick SailorI'm glad your DS is being distracted by others so she doesn't have time to dwell on her diagnosis.

@mamaofamiI'm so happy to hear your 2 grandsons returned safely from Israel.

@0106I was also going to say your plant was a cana lily, but that's coming from someone who kills air plants, so what do I know?

@marshhawkyour descriptions of the kittens and adults are so telling as to how much you care about them.  Hope DH is more alert today after his Rip Van Winkle episode yesterday.

Not much happening here today - will head out and pick up the smokies for next week's barbecue and put them in the freezer.  DH's daughter has a birthday today, a significant one, but at this point we haven't heard of any celebrations, so we'll play it by ear.  Likely we'll drive over and drop off our card (with $$ inside) and leave it at that.  In my family, every birthday was cause for great celebrations - the extended family got together for a meal, lots of fun and laughter, and of course, birthday cake.  DH's family is the opposite, birthdays come and go just like any other day.

I'd like the drink of the day (have it written down in my book), would like the wine, but it's pricey, and I've had zucchini pancakes and quite enjoyed them - they were much like potato pancakes.  BTW, thanks for sharing your fried chicken recipes yesterday, will be trying them in the air fryer in the future.  I've got a couple of pork chops that will be pounded, crumbed and cooked in the air fryer and served along with asparagus and baked baby potatoes that we can enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and those in the paths of devastating storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 30

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I loved your cabin on the Matanuska.  I had a basic cabin with no facilities but they were just a few steps away.

Here's the cabin I had on the Matanuska, with facilities. The one I had on the Kennicott was an inside, but had a sofa of sorts, really a lower berth with the upper one raised--it was a cabin for 4.

P8030006.thumb.JPG.23bebc812d5821554b256664a0f5fde4.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cloudy and pleasant here this morning.  I guess there's a chance of rain this afternoon.  Nothing on the agenda for us.

I'll kiss my sweetie today.   I'll pass on the hand roll and I don't know a webmaster to take to lunch.

Good quote.  

I'll pass on the meal but I'd like the drink and the wine (if anyone is buying).

I've never been to today's port.  Thanks for the pictures.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@grapau27  That's a lovely remembrance garden.  Extra hugs to Pauline as she remembers her brother.

@kazu Pace yourself, I know you have lots to do and want to keep busy, but don't overdo it.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

I looked up Wrangell on cruisetimetables.com and it has no BHB for the rest of 2024 but I did see 2 of my ships, Crystal Serenity once and Queen Victoria twice.  Neither returns in 2025 but we do have one call each for Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8