The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 10th, 2024

Today is Clerihew Day, Don't Step On A Bee Day, and Global Energy Independence Day

Life is much shorter than I imagined it to be. - Abraham Cahan

Meal Suggestion for today - Dill-Pickle Pasta Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing
Drink of the Day - Flatliner
Wine of the Day - Domaine Serene 2020 Rockblock Viognier (Applegate Valley)
Destination of the Day - Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Today in History:
2012 The American Episcopal Church becomes the first to approve a rite for blessing gay marriages

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland 07:00 - 19:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 1000-2130

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Giardini Naxos-Taormina, Sicily Italy eta 07-11

Rotterdam

Reykjavik, Iceland 08:00 - ovnt

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 08:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

Nuuk, Greenland

0710World.thumb.png.ada02efbdffc8220a453b512e536853a.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 28

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  We arrived in Nuuk, Greenland early, a little after midnight last night.  Unfortunately our black cloud (weather wise) still hangs over our heads.  It is raining, and foggy out.  Temp is about 40F and it feels like 29F.  We would like to go out if the rain stops sometime today.  All aboard is 10:30 p.m.  I was last here in Nuuk Aug. 12, 2018 and the weather was beautiful that day.  I have some lovely pictures to show for it.  I’ll just remember Nuuk that way – sunny!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  I wish I could write poetry because I’d try it today on Clerihew Day.  Looking it up, it’s named after Edmund Clerihew Bentley who thought up a particular style of poetry.  It includes four lines of verse, an AABB rhyme scheme, the name of the subject in the first line, and humorous content.  For example:

Sir Christopher Wren

Said “I’m going to dine with some men

If anyone calls

Say I am designing St. Paul’s”

I would avoid stepping on a bee any day as an adult.  As a child I ran barefoot through the lawn and often got stung by bees.  You’d think I’d learn not to do that rather quickly.  I wish the U.S. could go back to being energy independent again.  The quote is depressing to me.  The meal suggestion is unique, no idea about the drink or wine today.  The day in history happened only 12 years ago, one of our more recent history developments.  I’d like to thank Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their food and beverage reports.

Prayers for all here for relief from pain and physical or mental ailments.  For my DB and Alex/Jordan’s baby boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in harm’s way over there.  Happy days to those celebrating and cruising.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your fine work publishing the lists each day!

Port today is Sihanoukville, Cambodia.  I have never been to that city before.  The one time we had Sihanoukville before was Sept. 14, 2022.  Here is the link:

Thanks for your pictures!

I heard Ren and FC Dallas kids flew to Mexico City yesterday for an international soccer tournament, same as they did last July.  It will be nice if we get reports back on how things are going but will have to wait and see.  The last tournament in Nashville my DS was under the weather catching a very bad cold and we didn’t get any reports.  No matter the results, we’re always proud of Ren and the team.

Have yourself a great Wednesday!  Try to stay safe and keep well.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Today’s Care List:

Rafinmd’s Cardiology appointment today

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection, in pain

Luvteaching's DM with a fall and pacemaker placement

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US (Beryl)

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck’s vascular issues

Vict0riann post breast cancer surgery, to start radiation

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish feeling better

RMLincoln’s DH weaned off eye drops

Mr. Boston’s furniture/belongings delivered to the new house

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina July 16 to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

luvteaching (Westerdam to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 23
  • Thanks 22

I heard from my twin last night after her doctor visit yesterday.  She says her shoulder will need replaced and the surgery is on Aug. 16.  They were hoping to be able to wait until next year for the surgery but with the recent damage done it's time.  She will begin PT again when she is healed enough after surgery.  I can't imagine the number of surgeries she's had done up to now.  I am lucky my parts have held up and haven't needed the many surgeries she's had so far.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

A warm 81 right now heading up to 92 with a slight chance of PM showers. We have now gone 4 days without a drop of rain, can’t remember this happening before during our Florida summers.

Interesting days, Clerihew day has me stumped, I’ve never stepped on a bee and only been stung twice.

The quote is also interesting.

Pass on the meal.

Off to the course in a few minutes.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Flatliner cocktail:

Its unofficial cocktail bears a resemblance to the Espresso Martini and the Mudslide, but to Telluride's residents, it is a local classic. It was first served at the Peaks Resort & Spa by bartender Steve Foster, but today, you can find Foster shaking Flatliners at the New Sheridan Chop House, where the recipe has spread throughout the city.

Ingredients:

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. kailua
1 oz. baileys
1 shot expresso

Directions:

Add vodka, Kahlua, baileys, and espresso to a shaker filled with ice and shake well until chilled
Strain into a glass, and garnish with the coffee beans(optional).

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 6.32.43 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Report.

It's raining.  We could get up to 80mm (a little over 3 inches) of rain by tomorrow.  I guess the crops will like it, not sure about the rest of us.

Interesting days.  I'll pass on writing a poem, I'm sure others are more talented.  It's important to not step on bees.  Canada produces a lot of energy, much of our oil and natural gas are exported to the USA.

That quote is too true!  Life is too short.

The meal sounds interesting, I'm not sure about the drink but I hope the wine will be good and not expensive.

I've never been to today's port.  Thanks for the pictures.

Prayers for so many.

Have a great day.  Stay dry.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports.

We had a nice Holy Communion at church this morning.

3 interesting days and true quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240710_113510.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 16

Good sunny already feeling like 91degrees morning. Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon and evening. 
Yesterday, the cable was out for about 4 hours, no idea what caused the outage. 
Stay cool and safe everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  I made page 1 for the first time. Checking in from the west at 5:00 in the morning!!!..... could not sleep so I decided to get up. Dogs have been given a short walk and will be fed later. Right now they have both gone back to sleep. I am sure I will crash in a couple of hours. Weather here is clear and the stars are bright. Sun will be up in another hour or so. It will be hot again but nowhere near what people in Arizona and California are having... maybe into the mid-80's. Window washer should be here between 8:30 and 9:00. It will be nice to see out again.

Had an email from a friend of mine in California who has come down with Covid for the first time. She is supposed to be working a summer museum camp and is not happy. Obviously it is still out there.

More later.... I need to find some breakfast and then it may be light enough to safely walk the dogs a bit further.

I do have holds of spots on 2 cruises for next year.... now will have to see if I feel up to them. Really should select one or the other. Decisions, decisions. Have time to think about it.

Susan

• Like 36

Good Morning and thank you for the FR & D.

Global Energy Independence Day promotes awareness for alternative forms of energy. The day offers opportunities to learn more about renewable forms of energy, such as solar, wind, and geothermal.  Fossil fuels such as oil, coal, and gas will eventually run out. They also cause air and water pollution, land degradation, and global warming. These problems are motivating scientists to discover newer forms of energy that can be replenished. 

I had my students write a Clerihew to illustrate they understood the poets we were studying.  Here’s one written by the originator, Edmund Clerihew BentleyIMG_0646.jpeg.945beb1f56110be8dc4f66c9375aca96.jpeg

Will someone write one for us today?

Four line poem

Rhyme scheme: aabb.

First line is a person's full name.

The final three lines sum up the person named in the first line in a humorous way.

Positive thoughts for those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Happy Hump Day everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  Thanks for the definition of Clerihew day @StLouisCruisers and @grapau27.  That is a fun kind of poetry.  Thankfully I haven't stepped on a bee in a long time and that was a hornet, ouch!   Energy independence is important.  We are somewhat energy independent up here at the cabin at least for a few months per year.  Our solar panels have supplied all of our power but we still need propane for the refrigerator, the stove and the hot water heater.   I will pass on the meal and the cocktail but the vino should be good. Thanks for finding these for us each day, @summer slope, @cat shepard and @dfish.

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   @StLouisCruisers I am sad to read your twin has to have her shoulder replaced.  Prayers for Tana, Terry, Terri, Chuck and Annie.  Jacqui, thinking of you as you prepare for your life move and that you get the call you can get your vascular surgery.   @Vict0riannthinking of you as you begin your radiation treatments.  @rafinmd I hope all goes well at your cardiologist appointment.  Prayers for all in our group who are ailing or grieving and for all in war zones through no fault of their own and for the remaining hostages.  

We went fishing yesterday and had some success catching some little ones.  At least it is better than our previous outings.  The lake is finally nearing 70 degrees and with the heat due here tomorrow it should get there.  We are going to neighbors for cocktail hour and a lot of catch up because they made it up to their cabin for the first time at the end of June.  Have a lovely day.  Nancy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Flatliner cocktail:

Its unofficial cocktail bears a resemblance to the Espresso Martini and the Mudslide, but to Telluride's residents, it is a local classic. It was first served at the Peaks Resort & Spa by bartender Steve Foster, but today, you can find Foster shaking Flatliners at the New Sheridan Chop House, where the recipe has spread throughout the city.

Ingredients:

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. kailua
1 oz. baileys
1 shot expresso

Directions:

Add vodka, Kahlua, baileys, and espresso to a shaker filled with ice and shake well until chilled
Strain into a glass, and garnish with the coffee beans(optional).

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 6.32.43 AM.png

I suggest to have the drink called defibulator as a chaser!

• Like 10
  • Haha 13

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports.

We had a nice Holy Communion at church this morning.

3 interesting days and true quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240710_113510.jpg

There was a girl from Nantucket…. Ok, I won’t continue! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 12

Good Wednesday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another hot one. heading up to 93. They say there might be some rain, but I am not holding my breath. We had a wee bit of rain yesterday. The vegetables have taken root and are looking good. My front lawn, not so much. Getting my hair done today. A little self-care. 91 days until my cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

111 Awsome Hillarious Funny Wednesday Memes Of All Time

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

A warm 81 right now heading up to 92 with a slight chance of PM showers. We have now gone 4 days without a drop of rain, can’t remember this happening before during our Florida summers.

Interesting days, Clerihew day has me stumped, I’ve never stepped on a bee and only been stung twice.

The quote is also interesting.

Pass on the meal.

Off to the course in a few minutes.

Have a great day and stay well.

It’s been so hot. Will go to mall today to walk. Our area has been in a drought. No rain in two weeks!

• Like 22

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We decided to have lunch at Wynyard Hall gardens.

17206096585298177175246396180793.jpg

IMG_20240710_114726.jpg

IMG_20240710_114043.jpg

Graham, I like your style! When you go out to eat y’all don’t hold back. Looks delicious. I have been on a strict diet the past five months dropping +35 pounds. I hope I did not gain weight just looking at your pictures! 😀

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Yesterday afternoon’s rains almost made up for the lack of rain lately. Bindi wasn’t happy, but she finally went out once the deluge moved on & we were left with a lovely gentle rain. The frogs were singing loudly. 😎

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I marvel that you could maneuver around your house during all those months of pain, lack of sleep & numbness.

Bindi walks, chores, HIIT and maybe some pool time - weather permitting. 

IMG_3123.jpeg.8686db291e4819e31fb8babe8de45430.jpeg

IMG_3134.jpeg.efec64af6722ba69e43e3a53d0bea0b5.jpeg

IMG_3136.jpeg.98d83334555962c5ffdac1abdf6f189e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, I appreciate the difficult decision you need to make, but if you do not try this option, what? I confess to being somewhat of a risk taker. I will be interested in hearing what your sponsor’s thoughts are. Prayers for all the caregivers. You are there every step of the way. Every day. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Domaine Serene 2020 Rockblock Viognier (Applegate Valley)

This Oregon Viognier sounds interesting. But the only place I found that sold it was the vintner’s website. So ultra elusive. And before I spent $45.00 on a bottle of wine, I would want to try it. It would have to knock my socks off for me to buy it, since that is close to the top of my budget. 

Vintner’s notes

Feeling playful? Wake up your taste buds with our Oregon Viognier. This is a sunny, seductive blend of fresh fruit and flowers and is the perfect way to dive into your drinking day. A juicy, bowl of ripe fruit aromas that burst across the palate; it has a crip and sophisticated finish. 

This is a wine that makes you feel like a kid again as soon as it touches your lips. It’s soft and silky, and perfect for when you want to start your drinking day with a splash of excitement.

91 Wine Enthusiast 

Vineyard Info

The organically farmed Quady North vineyards are located in the Applegate Valley AVA, nested within Southern Oregon’s Rogue Valley AVA. Committed to small production, Quady North grows some of the most interesting Rhone-style grape varieties in the United States. Dramatic temperature swings, with hot, dry summer days and cool summer nights create ideal conditions for high-quality Viognier.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 1

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Its 73 and sunny and the weatherman said last night the humidity wont be as bad as it has been.  When I went over to walk the dog last night I noticed that Donna's giant "Christmas Tree" had lost a branch.  It was still attached to the tree, but was in the street.  Now that she is out there working on it, it was a mid height branch that broke and fell onto the lower branch, pushing the healthy branch down into the street.  

When the tree started losing branches last year, I did some research on her scotch pine, and they live about 45-50 years. The tree was their Christmas tree in 1963, and they planted it in their front yard.  It is huge, and it leans towards our side of the street.  I mentioned to her that she might want to consider cutting it down, and she said that these trees live for 100s of years.  um, no. Two years ago one of the major branches fell off the tree and took out the power for a week. (we were on vacation) Then last year another branch fell in the road, and took out the power.  She notified the power company and the police department, as it was blocking the whole road.  When the power company arrived in the middle of the night, she was standing out with a flashlight and they asked her why she was putting herself in a dangerous situation.  She said she wanted to notify cars that may be trying to go up the street.  They  ordered her back in her house.  Explaining that if a driver couldn't see the big tree in the street,  they were going too fast, and deserved to run into it.  Live wires everywhere.  Today is Donna vs the tree.  It isnt pretty.

Furry kitten monsters to the vets this morning, to get the second round of shots.  The assistant said the last time we were there, that the kittens who were hovering at a little over two pounds would weight 5 pounds by this week, nope. Their momma only weighed in at 6 pounds and she is two years old (they think) .  The kitten monsters are tiny too, but so cute.  They will be 3 months old on Monday.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich and thanks to the F & B team.

Just a quick post as I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed.  The house is listed.  No sign on the lawn as I have a lot of stuff to do to get it ready to show to a family next week.  if they give a good enough offer (assuming they want it) then no sign will appear at all.  Otherwise, I have to get the home show worthy.

They have a different real estate strategy than the last time I sold a house.  they like to list it below market price as people are bidding and know they need to bid.  Apparently this house has enough features to appeal despite being a 2 storey.

And to add to my day, the hospital called with a surgery date for next Thursday.  I have to be at day surgery for 6:30 AM.  That means Ivan has to be cared for as it’s way too early to take care of him that morning and it’s 2 days after his surgery.  Sheesh.

Oh well, it is what it is.  I better get moving and pitter patter - have to get at ‘er.  Prayers for all who need them 🙏 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 16