Snobbery on cruise lines?

I personally never met a snobby person on any of my cruises, but Celebrity is about as high up as we go. What rankles me are the silly ceremonies to honor the highest-ranking loyalty members. Really? I'm clapping for a person who has so much money and free time that they have cruised for 3,000 days with that cruise line?  If it were me in their place, I'd forego the event. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I personally never met a snobby person on any of my cruises, but Celebrity is about as high up as we go. What rankles me are the silly ceremonies to honor the highest-ranking loyalty members. Really? I'm clapping for a person who has so much money and free time that they have cruised for 3,000 days with that cruise line?  If it were me in their place, I'd forego the event. 

Which brings up a question.  Why do you bother to go to those events?  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I don't anymore after learning what is going on. Why are you asking why I bother to go to the events? To be honest, that's a pretty rude response.  You are historically a better person than that.

When we first started sailing Viking these "events" were invitation only but now we find that Viking has so many repeat guests, these events are really open to all.  They used to ask for show of hands for how many cruises you have done with Viking.  I don't see that any more.  Recently one of our friends that has done more than 10 Viking River cruises entered her cabin to a bouquet of flowers from Viking celebrating her number of cruises.  This was nice, and done in private.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I recall a cruise some years ago where the most-cruised passengers were recognized one evening at dinner. Pretty hard to avoid that. 

There is a whiff of snobbery among the most frequent cruisers. It doesn't matter that you may have previously swam with the turtles in Galapagos, climbed Mount Kilimanjaro or crossed the Gobi Desert on a burro upon acknowledging you are on your first cruise you are immediately placed on the bottom rung of the social ladder by those whose entire travel experience is on cruise ships.

6 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I don't anymore after learning what is going on. Why are you asking why I bother to go to the events? To be honest, that's a pretty rude response.  You are historically a better person than that.

I didn't consider it rude. I guess if you had mentioned "the first and last time...." it would have taken care of the curiosity factor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

those whose entire travel experience is on cruise ships.

And I would have to resist exhibiting some snobbery when talking to someone like that. Really just thinking "how sad."

8 hours ago, K32682 said:

I recall a cruise some years ago where the most-cruised passengers were recognized one evening at dinner. Pretty hard to avoid that. 

There is a whiff of snobbery among the most frequent cruisers. It doesn't matter that you may have previously swam with the turtles in Galapagos, climbed Mount Kilimanjaro or crossed the Gobi Desert on a burro upon acknowledging you are on your first cruise you are immediately placed on the bottom rung of the social ladder by those whose entire travel experience is on cruise ships.

When I meet a person with a lot of travel experience and they are nice, decent people I ask if they mind offering me advice.  I have met plenty of those. Then there are those as you describe who have flown further, traveled more, cruised the “right way” and are just bragging. I don’t encourage.  The worst thing you can do is to try to get a word in😁

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 10:11 AM, clo said:

So would that be considered "formal"? I guess I assumed, for men, suit and tie or tuxedo.

In the cruising world, "formal" has been redefined by many as khaki's and a collared shirt.  Works for me!  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I was not even aware of special events where everyone is invited.  There are most traveled lunches and special announcements.  It is not my cup of tea and I would not criticize those who enjoy the recognition.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, K32682 said:

Oh the horror!  😄  Are people really so sensitive that would be an issue.

10 hours ago, K32682 said:

There are some of those.  Thankfully not all or even close to the majority.  The ones that won't stop talking are my favorites.   We don't volunteer the number of cruises and when invariably asked simply say "quite a few".   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ldubs said:

There are some of those.  Thankfully not all or even close to the majority.  The ones that won't stop talking are my favorites.   We don't volunteer the number of cruises and when invariably asked simply say "quite a few".   

I agree. This lets them assume they are the 'experts', and one thing better than listening to an expert is listening to one who thinks he is!  Feed them with the right questions and watch them dig themselves into a hole🙂

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I agree. This lets them assume they are the 'experts', and one thing better than listening to an expert is listening to one who thinks he is!  Feed them with the right questions and watch them dig themselves into a hole🙂

Hahah, this is so true! 

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

In the cruising world, "formal" has been redefined by many as khaki's and a collared shirt.  Works for me!  

As it should be.  One of the delights of cruising is to get all dressed up for dinner, or just brush your hair, tuck in your shirt and go have a lovely meal served by crew that are happy to see you.  All of us can be comfortable.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, clo said:

Isn't that country club casual 🙂

I think so.  My point is "formal", at least as was traditionally defined, is pretty much dead on most cruise ships.  

On 7/14/2024 at 1:08 PM, jsn55 said:

This former Minnesota farm girl has always stayed clear of the 'luxe' lines for the same reason.  We stopped cruising on Grand Circle's small ships because of the plethora of retired 'educators' who dominated the dinner tables with their tiresome opinions.  But that was a long time ago.  I am delighted to read these responses that my outlook is probably wrong.  We sailed Queen Victoria in Norway a few years ago and I just loved her 'real elegance' with little snobbery evident.  And she was just about the same price as the usual 'mass market' ships.  I will broaden my searches in the future.  It's a simple matter to calculate the true cost of a cruise.  Thank you all.

Never sailed on Grand Circle or Queen Victoria.  As a retired educator with a nice pension, I sail often. In 2024, I sailed on Viking once and Oceania twice.  I have 2 more cruises booked for 2024. Viking Ocean and B2b on Windstar. Total 64 days sailing in 2024.   I have met a plethora of interesting people on cruises. Been friends with some for many years.  Often meet retired teachers who are just nice folks enjoying a cruise.  Met farmers on a few cruises too. Never discuss jobs. More interested in discussing places of interest .I seldom meet a snob.  If so, I move on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think so.  My point is "formal", at least as was traditionally defined, is pretty much dead on most cruise ships.  

But if a cruise line said "formal" then I would assume they mean more than Dockers and a collared golf shirt.

The expensive lines are so far out of my budget that I've never really thought about them. But in 2021 I had a booking on Celebrity for which I feared that my clothes wouldn't be good enough! (Yes, I know that Celebrity isn't considered a luxury line, but it has a form of class separation.) The cruise would have been from Yokohama and didn't take place, because Japan still wasn't allowing leisure tourists.

On 7/15/2024 at 1:11 PM, clo said:

So would that be considered "formal"? I guess I assumed, for men, suit and tie or tuxedo.

I have an Emily Post etiquette book from about 1922 in which she explains painstakingly that black tie (tuxedo) is informal. Then, formal meant white tie and tails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/14/2024 at 9:44 PM, sjde said:

Having sailed on Oceania and Azamara,  what might we find different on Crystal, Seaborne and SilverSea? 

I have sailed with Silversea almost 2 dozen times but never with Oceania and once with Azamara.

I agree with Hank's reply. I am just a regular person and I love the smaller ships. I have never felt out of place on SS. My next  cruise is a 14 day TA crossing on the Silver Moon🙂

On 7/15/2024 at 10:14 AM, jsn55 said:

A snob is just an insecure human.  They are pathetic, to be pitied and dismissed.  I am grateful to this thread so I can lose my 'fear' of booking a luxury cruiseline.  Thanks, guys!

Have no fear....I love sailing on the smaller ships and am just a regular person.....snobbery is not for me either.

• Like 2