The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 14th, 2024

Today is International Nude Day, Shark Awareness Day, and Victims of The Nice

Just as courage imperils life, fear protects it. - Leonardo da Vinci

Meal Suggestion for today - Corn Salsa
Drink of the Day - Scotch 75
Wine of the Day - Mollydooker The Boxer Shiraz
Destination of the Day - Cockburn Channel

Today in History:
1789 Bastille Day - the French Revolution begins with the storming of the Bastille Prison in Paris (now celebrated as France's national day)
1957 First female parliamentarian in the Arab world is elected to office
1992 386BSD is released by Lynne Jolitz and William Jolitz, starting the open source operating system revolution. Linus Torvalds release "Linux" soon afterwards

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-15

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska eta 07-15

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Djupivogur, Island

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 0100-1930

Oosterdam

Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Husavik, Iceland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

St Johns NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 10:00 - 20:00

0714Alaska.thumb.png.b6332c2386b8d5634a10782bd99df391.png

0714Atlantic.thumb.png.0226dbe5c607e6389d90bfa3d12f61b8.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 28

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  We will arrive in St. John’s Newfoundland by midmorning.  Temperature this morning is 57 and we will have a mostly cloudy visit to NF with a high temp of 67.  Hopefully no rain.  I’d like to take a walk around town this time because last August we took a tour out of town which we really enjoyed.   Our tour yesterday was to L’anse aux Meadows where we visited the Parks Canada site and the Norstead site.  The Norstead in my opinion is the better of the two and it was good to see it all over again.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  I’ve taken a look at the topics of discussion today but have to say I’m in no mood to discuss them.  Sorry for being such a downer.  Thanks anyway to our dear F&B Dept. ladies, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for our country and DT.  Prayers for my DGS Ren that his collarbone break heals quickly and completely, for my DB, my twin sister, and Alex/Jordan’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members overseas.  And many prayers for our Dailyites, Tana and Terry @smitty34877, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Jacqui @kazu, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Joy’s @Seasick Sailor DS Bonnie, Richard and Maureen @RMLincoln, and all others with pain and awaiting procedures.  Fingers crossed Jacqui’s house is sold quickly and this week’s medical procedures go well for her and Ivan.   Happy thoughts and wishes to everyone celebrating special events and cruising.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping work every day.  We couldn’t do it without you. 

The destination today is Cockburn Channel, Chile.  This was the destination only once before on Oct. 26, 2021 so I’ll provide that link for you.  This is what I said back then about Cockburn Channel.  “I'm not 100% certain but since we've sailed on HAL, Princess and Seabourn from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas (or vice versa) and the Beagle Channel, I would think we've been to Cockburn Channel.  I've never documented that, however. “   Hoping someone here will show their photos of the area.

I hope you’ll all join me in praying for this country and that everyone can get along no matter our differences.  Meanwhile stay safe and keep well.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 77 heading up to 92 with a chance of PM showers.

Interesting days.

I’m not sure about the quote.

I’ll pass on the meal.

Without getting into politics what happened last night was horrible for the USA and I’ll be praying in church today for the future of the country.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports.

It is still raining and 56°F.

I am watching a TV programme featuring Susan Calman sailing around the Caribbean on HAL Eurodam.

Shark awareness is important.

True quote.

After the shock and sadness in Pennsylvania last night a really sad day in Nice on our today list.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Prayers and God bless America.

Screenshot_20240714_112751.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 17

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We will arrive in St. John’s Newfoundland by midmorning.  Temperature this morning is 57 and we will have a mostly cloudy visit to NF with a high temp of 67.  Hopefully no rain.  I’d like to take a walk around town this time because last August we took a tour out of town which we really enjoyed.   Our tour yesterday was to L’anse aux Meadows where we visited the Parks Canada site and the Norstead site.  The Norstead in my opinion is the better of the two and it was good to see it all over again.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  I’ve taken a look at the topics of discussion today but have to say I’m in no mood to discuss them.  Sorry for being such a downer.  Thanks anyway to our dear F&B Dept. ladies, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for our country and DT.  Prayers for my DGS Ren that his collarbone break heals quickly and completely, for my DB, my twin sister, and Alex/Jordan’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members overseas.  And many prayers for our Dailyites, Tana and Terry @smitty34877, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Jacqui @kazu, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Joy’s @Seasick Sailor DS Bonnie, Richard and Maureen @RMLincoln, and all others with pain and awaiting procedures.  Fingers crossed Jacqui’s house is sold quickly and this week’s medical procedures go well for her and Ivan.   Happy thoughts and wishes to everyone celebrating special events and cruising.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping work every day.  We couldn’t do it without you. 

The destination today is Cockburn Channel, Chile.  This was the destination only once before on Oct. 26, 2021 so I’ll provide that link for you.  This is what I said back then about Cockburn Channel.  “I'm not 100% certain but since we've sailed on HAL, Princess and Seabourn from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas (or vice versa) and the Beagle Channel, I would think we've been to Cockburn Channel.  I've never documented that, however. “   Hoping someone here will show their photos of the area.

I hope you’ll all join me in praying for this country and that everyone can get along no matter our differences.  Meanwhile stay safe and keep well.

Prayers 🙏 for Ren for a quick and full recovery from his collarbone break.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Prayers 🙏 for Ren for a quick and full recovery from his collarbone break.

Thanks to you Graham and for everyone who responded yesterday after my post disclosing his injury. We appreciate everyone's prayers and good wishes.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection, in pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Mr. Boston battling a bad cold; superoma with a cold and cough

Seasick sailor’s stepson positive for Covid

StLouisCruisers’ DGS Ren suffering an arm fx during a soccer game

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Heartgrove’s DW’s DBIL with pancreatic cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen!

Welcome Home Luvteaching!

Aliaschief’s family vacation at St. George Island

Crazy for Cats’ DH Juan getting a reward from work

Lady Hudson booking an October cruise

TiogaCruiser’s impressive shed that she built

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina July 16 to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

6 days for Cunnorl (Zuiderdam July 20 to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings

tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 20
  • Thanks 21

The Scotch 75 cocktail is a delightful twist on the classic French 75, which is traditionally made with gin. This cocktail brings a unique flavor to the table by using scotch whisky as the base spirit. The drink combines the smoky and complex flavors of scotch with lemon juice, simple syrup, and champagne, making it a perfect drink for special occasions or to impress guests. The Scotch 75 is a simple and elegant cocktail that is easy to make but packs a punch in both flavor and alcohol content.

Ingredients:

1/2 oz. lemon juice
1 oz. Champagne
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1 1/2 oz. scotch whisky

Directions:

Fill a shaker with ice and add the Scotch, lemon juice, and simple syrup to the shaker. Shake until well chilled.
Strain into a champagne flute and top with champagne. Garnish with a lemon twist(optional).

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 6.45.23 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Bright and clear this morning but we could get a thunderstorm by this evening.

Interesting days.  I'm nude under my clothes.  Sharks are magnificent - out there.  Prayers for Nice.

Thought provoking quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink (don't like scotch) but I'll try the wine.

Prayers for our crazy world.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, Dixie and Graham/Father David for the FR&D.  I hope I have no interaction with Nude Day but will celebrate the other two    Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  Welcome home luvteaching.  May Ren’s healing be quick and complete.  Happy birthday to Allen and to my nephew Keith.

Fear protects life as long as it does not lead to paralysis.

Like Sandi, I am sure I have been to Cockburn Channel but could not identify it..

Three great days in history.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chicken with wild mushrooms and black raspberry ice cream as served  on VIA’s Canadian on the way to my 2018 Sea-Land-Sea Grand Alaska trip,

dishes14.jpg.

What a shocking end to the day yesterday.  I will say though that it was great hearing from politicians of all stripes speaking with one voice for a change.

Roy

• Like 38

@grapau27 What programme are you referring to?  We watched an entertaining series with Susan Calman driving around Scotland, it would be interesting to see her on the Eurodam.  She's a funny lady, we've seen her a few times on QI.  I know she doesn't fly, I wonder which ship she sailed to get to the Caribbean and how she'll get home.  

• Like 21

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich. A lovely morning in the neighborhood.Dinner last night was wonderful, though ruined by the event in Pennsylvania. I agree - this has nothing to do with politics. Assassination has no place in our Country. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I have not caught up on yesterday’s Daily, yet, so I appreciate your post even more. 

Gym, Bindi walks, cleaning the grill after last night’s dinner, a visit from my handyman and maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3156.jpeg.b132c8f3711f832e376c2fabb639dd4f.jpeg

IMG_3157.jpeg.0a0c154cd91987533dbb16f27486b42e.jpeg

IMG_3124.jpeg.dbbe5292e4295366bb79fe2fd5b78bdc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 
@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I was sorry to read about Ren’s injury. May it heal quickly. 

@smitty34877 Terry, praying that Tana has a good day & eats. Bless you and all the other caregivers for giving so much - every day. Please take care of yourself. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Mollydooker The Boxer Shiraz

A fun name for a serious Shiraz. Lots of consumer fans, easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $21.99.

Winemaker notes

Mollydooker’ is old Aussie slang for a left handed boxer and our Boxer always punches well above his Fruit Weight™. Did you notice he has two left-handed gloves?

TASTING NOTES: 

The 2022 Boxer boasts a robust foundation of dark fruit, black cherries, moccha, and a hint of clove spice that comes alive in the glass. Its velvety texture delivers notes of fresh plum, balanced tannins, and a subtle touch of toasted oak, all of which enhance the richness of the fruit. This wine offers a complex experience with multiple layers that are sure to impress.

TECHNICAL NOTES: 

The grapes were grown on vineyards in McLaren Vale and Langhorne Creek. The Boxer has been Barrel fermented and matured in 100% American oak, using 38% new, 49% one year old, and 13% two year old barrels. The required Marquis Fruit Weight™ for the Lefty Series is 65% – 75%. The Actual Fruit Weight for 2021 The Boxer is 68%.

Alcohol: 16.0%

Residual Sugar: 0.6 (g/L)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

Good morning dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report. 

Checking in to see how everyone is and to let you know my job is going well and keeping me busy.  😀

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 

20231104_061216.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Good morning to all

Thank you to Rich @richwmn, Vanessa @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your dedication to the FR and D.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for remembering me and Jim in prayer.  We are doing the best we can.  I hope REN is doing okay after his injury, and prayers for your family,

Thank you to Graham @grapau27 for Father David’s sermon and the explanation of the day we celebrate.

I have been to Cockburn Channel.

@SeaSickSailor Happy Birthday to Allen

@kazu I hope you are doing as best as you can.  i am happy that you are comfortable with your decision to move.

@marshhawk Prayers for you and Chuck as you go through some very hard times.

@smitty34877 Terry, As always, you, Tana and your family are in my prayers.

I have not been feeling well since I had Covid. I again lost my appetite just like the last time.  i am also very fatigued.  i just can’t shake it.  This is in addition to the trouble with my upper right arm.  Just doing the best i can.

Prayers for all the Dailyites who need them.

Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6