The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 16th, 2024

@cat shepard Ann, Thanks for the info. I really enjoy aquariums. I tend to go to them wherever I go. I will have to come up to Daytona in the fall and check this one out.

I am off to Orlando for a cut and color for me and a cut for DD.

Had the worst mani yesterday. I am never going back there again and it is one I use regularly. When I got home, I logged on to my HAL account and booked a mani for Monday at a precruise price! $41 . Not bad at all!

• Like 34

Good morning,

It will be another hot one with a possible thunderstorm. Yesterday’s heat index was 112. It still felt cooler than when I was on the GANZ last winter. I am a glutton for punishment as I will repeat the trip in 2026. 

I thought I would update everyone on baby Murphy. She is having difficulty with fluid overload. She is on multiple diuretics and still struggling. She is a happy little girl and prayers that her body will kick in so she can get off the high flow oxygen making it easier to travel. Her mom is due to have another baby in September. She did not share the news until she was 20 weeks. She was waiting for the high risk ultrasound and appointment to make sure everything was ok. This little family will have their hands full!

Prayers and well wishes. Everyone have a great day. 

IMG_7523.thumb.jpeg.cc0adb8c6c66e2af173a8cd03eb56e49.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

@kazu the garden pics are lovely; 🙏🤗 as you wait to pick your good boy Ivan up.

@Heartgrove that itinerary sounds fabulous. 

@cunnorl I booked a haircut on my Sept cruise for far less than I pay at home. Enjoy your mani!

@cruising sister thanks for the update on & picture of Baby Murphy 🙏 and congratulations to her parents as they prepare to welcome another baby.

Currently sitting in parking lot waiting for Dr office to open. Then it's off to PT followed by work. Hope the Dr keeps to her schedule - last time I had first appointment I was here for 2 hours. Won't do that today as I cannot miss PT.

Rec'd an upgrade offer from HAL for the Sept/Oct AK cruise. I've not gotten one that looked like this - no price, must call in by (deadline given), booking confirmation w/new cabin number. It shows the cabin as a VB, but it is far forward, port side. I thought it's a mistake as the VBs are true aft, which is what we want, but the deckplan does show 4 VBs far forward (2 ea side). Why would those be VBs?

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

@cruising sister thanks for the photo and update on beautiful, little Murphy.  Prayers for her to get stronger and for her mother who is expecting again.  

Glad to read you are repeating GANZ in 2026, we will be onboard too.  A testament to how good a cruise it was. 

• Like 25

Posted (edited)

Happy Tuesday Morning Dailyites! Computer says it's 78 and sunny.  Computer is correct.  But I missed the local weatherman, as I slept until 8.  Of course, I was still up at 12:30 last night, too much coffee, and too many kittens playing Viking and ransacking DH's shoes and laces  And fighting amongst themselves while trying to attain royal status.  In other words, it was like Game of Thrones playing out on the bedroom floor.  

Bon Voyage @Norseh2o

kliban-c1.jpg

@kazuIvan is a good dog, and I hope has a swift recovery.  I know I somehow missed how this adventure started with him, but I hope all goes well, and I pray that he will be much better post surgery.

@dfish, thank you for the recipes. I think my problem with soups, is that I'm a chowder girl. And right now it's way too hot to consider a bowl of anything hot.  Except cobbler.

Our favorite taco place is doing B,L Ts for the taco of the week, I'm hoping to get there tomorrow for lunch.  They are very tasty.

I need to run out this morning, and it's tuesday, so I dont walk the dog until tonight.

275d63b6bc995b7094c756bb9f9d9890.jpg

Isla Passione Cozumel

image.thumb.jpeg.93896f88956cb9b67b3ef55b8d935af8.jpeg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning Dailyites 

A quick hello, then we are off the the vet for Oliver's yearly check up and rabies shot.

Allen lost 2 pounds, falling to 157. He and Tana both need to eat, eat! The Nephrologist reduced his sodium pills from 4 to 3. Hoping his sodium levels are good on his next blood work. Kidney function still the same.  

Prayers for Ivan's successful surgery. 

@Heartgrove your itinerary sounds wonderful. We enjoyed Malta, and love the mystery surrounding the Knights of Templar. The museum in Valletta is great.

@Norseh2o Bon Voyage!

@cruising sister Thanks for the little Murphy follow up. God bless her, and her new baby sibling due soon.

I'll pop in later to get an update on Ivan!

Blessings!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

I'm sure that snakes have their place but I believe that it is far away from me. A friend of mine used to be a personal chef, which she distinguished from catering by cooking only for dinners in the clients' homes, and only for the number they could seat at tables.

No soup today unless it's a cold soup, and I am still avoiding cold foods, so no soup today, but I think that a mom who puts butternut squash in minestrone deserves rocks in her socks.

I was confused about whether "rye and ginger" should be made with rye whiskey or with Canadian whiskey, but here's what I found: whiskey in Canada was originally distilled from wheat, but distillers began importing corn from the U.S. because it was more economical. Corn whiskey has relatively little flavor of its own, so distillers began adding some rye whiskey. It takes only 10% rye to impart a distinctive flavor. Before Prohibition in the U.S., rye whiskey was dominant, and the rye character of Canadian whiskey made it familiar, which helped both Canadian distillers, especially Hiram Walker's in Windsor, and the rum-running trade. A Canadian who wanted rye and ginger south of the border would want to order Canadian and ginger.

A number of Finger Lakes wineries produce Pinot Gris under its official name, but Seneca Shores winery offers it as Pinot Grigio, $13.99. "Dry. Crisp. Hints of Grapefruit and Honeydew Melon.  Crisp Beginnings, Dry finish, Complex aroma…  For those who like their white wine Cold, Crisp, and Dry…  This Pinot Grigio has complex notes of mineral and citrus, slightly smoothed over by a fullness of body."

I remembered to take the trash out this morning. I even remembered to empty the vacuum cleaner before closing the trash bag.

I'm ruminating on which luggage to use for the conference later this month. Including a night in Rochester so that I can get a morning flight without getting up at 3:00 a.m., it will be six nights with no way to do laundry, and I have to take a laptop computer. The Eagle Creek rolling duffel holds the most, but with another bag on its handle it tends to tip over, so I may use a 22-inch bag that is potentially a carry-on (but I'll check it) that is expandable and never tips.

Cruise boarding doesn't feel to much like this, but airline boarding always does.

worthlessriffraff.jpg.9b6da8c5dd69c3de9559916945327be6.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 15

Good morning from another sunny day in central Texas.  Our skies are a little hazy due to more Sahara dust.  It is already 79F and feels like 84F with an 8mph wind from the south.  The humidity is 77% with a dew point of 71F.  Today's high is predicted to be 101F late this afternoon.  We will begin to cool down tomorrow, but will still be in the upper 90s until next week.  A cool front with rain is predicted which should drop the highs into the upper 80s for two days.  However, that is too far out to be completely reliable, but I'd welcome the rain which we need.

Atomic Veterans deserve a day.  I'm DH's personal chef.  Snake's are an important part of the earths ecosystem, but that doesn't mean I want to get up close and personal with one.

The William James quote is good, but I think difficult for a lot of people to achieve.

We'll pass on the minestrone and the drink.  The wine might be worth a try.

We have not been to Tonga.

The 1519 public debate between Martin Luther and Johann Eck helped change the course of Christianity.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you have an enjoyable day in PEI.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the information about Atomic Veterans Day.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope all goes well with Ivan's surgery today.  He's not just a dog, but a miracle dog thanks to your love and care for him.  He's also a very lucky dog.  Enjoyed the pictures from your garden.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, thanks for the update and picture of Murphy.  She is a big girl now, and quite a happy beauty.  I hope she will be able to get off the oxygen soon, and that she can start getting rid of the excess fluid.  Best wishes to the parents on the safe arrival of the new baby in September.  

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad that Allen can lower the number of sodium pills and that his kidney function is unchanged.  I hope you can get him to eat and add some weight.  I also hope all goes well for Oliver at the vet today.

432469381_10161749954476393_8273786281324646698_n.jpg.06331422ac370f8317c5a9e546a1c3dc.jpg

441868174_418123924518768_45682359955830769_n.jpg.b4ee1677a0676d5b0ffa994634db2509.jpg

448947317_122171288036080694_9057151653652652901_n.jpg.77f4ddb9b6c8724df9f81fc91278e54d.jpg

450962271_122166958028046691_4720587367716916368_n.jpg.968898324092539071673ae610a4fb48.jpg

450838775_122166901862046691_7967327885226108257_n.jpg.21cce85b5f3198f40ea90f4737fae35e.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 13

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!   Definitely appreciate Atomic Veterans, wish I had a personal chef as sometimes it gets tough trying to figure out what to cook, and won't mention the last one as I abhor them. 

I'm looking out the computer room window and see blue skies and sunshine, yet the computer says fog and I just heard on the radio that fog has moved into the west side of the city.  I guess it's coming, but I don't see any sign of it right now . . . we have to enjoy the cool weather today and tomorrow because it's going to get very warm for us for the next 7 or 8 days. 

@Norseh2oBon Voyage; enjoy your cruise to the fullest!

@kazusending good vibes for Ivan's surgery today and BTW, he's not "just a dog", he's your sweet dog, companion and friend, and we all love him.

@superomasorry you and DH got sick and had to curtail your getaway plans.

@marshhawkcongrats on your great sale yesterday ... well done, girl!

@cat shepardI've used today's wine as a base for a white sangria - yum!

@Heartgrovehow is Sam handling the heat?  Does he sleep in the bathtub?  Friends of ours had a Norwegian Elk Hound and in the summer the cool enamel of the bathtub was his favourite place.

@cruising sisterthank you for the photo and update of our little warrior baby Murphy; she's such a sweetheart, I pray her health turns around soon and she's feeling so much better.  And she's going to be a big sister as well - how wonderful, but wow, is mama ever going to be busy!! 

Not a lot happening here for us, although yesterday we didn't accomplish anything, really.  I guess a little too much wine the night before took it's toll.  LOL  Today I have to put away the drink dispensers, decor items, and do some vacuum sealing of the leftover smokies so we can enjoy them later.  

I wouldn't normally go for a white wine, but as I mentioned, have used this one in a sangria, will pass on the drink (my folks drank rye and coke), and I've never been a fan of minestrone soup.  I've got a couple of hamburger patties thawing that DH will put on the barbecue, and we'll enjoy them with herbed baby potatoes and coleslaw on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars not of their making.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D Three great days to celebrate although I’ll take a personal pass at executive chefs, and would like to keep snakes out of sight.  Special prayers for Jacaui/Ivan, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  Now also Vanessa with digestive and vertigo issues.

A great quote from Mr. James.

I visited Nuka alofa in 2011 on Crystal Serenity and 2018 on Crystal Symphony.  In 2020 we were do visit on Crystal Serenity (2/12) but were denied permission to enter the harbor due to Covid fears...

A great day in the advancement of religious tolerance.

The meal is interesting but not today, My alternative is Fresh Frut Cup, Beef Wellington, and Boeren Jongens Sundae as served on MS Rotterdam July 16. 2011

The middle of 3 straight days of extreme heat,.  I expect did my mall walk early this morning moving directly to the grocery store, and home to stay near at 8:45.

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Today's sunrise is a screen grab I took three years ago today.  It's from the Crystal Serenity Panoflex camera somewhere in the Bahamas.

dawn0716b.thumb.JPG.d50ce9d9298000385a3aab0bebdc622e.JPG

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. I would like snakes to stay in the woods where I do not go,thanks. My brother informed me that they have lots of snakes where he is in Connecticut. May they not cross state lines.

I like minestrone soup but would not put butternut squash in it. My version is similar to the first recipe. I feel as if I have become a personal chef of sorts and usually enjoy it. Last night DB entertained us with stories of meal fiascos from our youth. I think my siblings and I tried to take on cooking tasks that were beyond our abilities but we were hungry! The teenager thought it was hysterical and wondered why we just didn’t order in. Oh my. The realities of life without deliveries and technology were a wonder to him.

@cruising sister, thank you for the update on Murphy. I hope the medical issues lessen soon. She is a beautiful child.

@kazu, Ivan is a very special dog and I hope all goes well today.

@Seasick Sailor, I am glad some of the sodium can be reduced and pray for Allen to be able to eat and retain/gain weight again. It is such a worry.

Tana tries so hard to eat  but I can see she really has little appetite. Thank you for your encouragement! 

It feels swampy outside and quite warm. I plan to be inside mostly.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

I don't normally do this, but today is an important day for us, as it was exactly 35 years ago that DH, our DS and I embarked on our first ever cruise and we have a photo to prove it.  What a memorable time it was and how it changed our holiday travel plans from over the years, bringing us to so many destinations that we'd only ever dreamed of.  We really are blessed.

FirstCruise.jpg.e2118816345143b34025f2e5c2795bf4.jpg

• Like 42
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I don't normally do this, but today is an important day for us, as it was exactly 35 years ago that DH, our DS and I embarked on our first ever cruise and we have a photo to prove it.  What a memorable time it was and how it changed our holiday travel plans from over the years, bringing us to so many destinations that we'd only ever dreamed of.  We really are blessed.

Nice family photo.

Happy 35th cruise anniversary.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.... another sunny dry day in Durango. Hopefully there is some moisture headed our way but right now we are very, very dusty.

I like ministrone when the weather is a lot cooler than it is at present. And I have always enjoyed cruise stops in Tonga. Last time was on the GANZ this year. @cruising sisterI too loved that cruise, but the weather is just too hot and humid for me. the places visited are wonderful and I am so glad I did it this year. Still waffling about on what I will do for my next cruise. Will just hold everything for awhile and see what I feel like but I am going to try to avoid extreme heat.

Baby Murphy looks cheerful and happy. A very pretty little girl. Wonder what she will think of the new baby. September is not that far off.

Bandit and Monty are sending their best wishes to Ivan. He certainly is a good boy.

Off to do some light grocery shopping and will stop at one of my favorite cafes to pick up a carry out salad. My frig is rather bare and I want to give it a good scrub before restocking.

I think my baby bird has left the nest. If so, I am going to knock it down and try to block that spot. Very, very messy on the patio.

Susan

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

My first Carnival Cruise 

tropicalewelcomegaryginaship22.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

We’re happy indoors, it’s very July outside!  
We enjoyed our visit to Nuka Alofa but sadly many of the parliament and other government buildings we saw in 2016 were leveled by a typhoon a few years later. The palace was next to our dock and was not seriously damaged. Tonga still has a monarch and has had close ties to the British monarch.  The Tonga queen attended Queen Elizabeth’s coronation, not easily fine in the 1950s. 

I think both DH and I qualify as Atomic Veterans. We retired from Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque. In 1949 Sandia was spun off from Los Alamos Laboratory to engineer the non-nuclear components of nuclear weapons including delivery navigation systems for guided missiles, specialized battery systems, parachutes, many other attributes and especially surety systems- that they would not explode unexpectedly, ever, no matter what accident or malicious event could happen. It was an interesting place to work in materials science. 

Snakes are important but I appreciate them more from afar. When I was about 19 or 20 I worked as a waitress at a resort in the PA Poconos for part of a summer. Sons of the owners were a bit devilish and tried to scare me with a snake but I quickly thought, if it’s safe for them it’s safe for me and I put aside my qualms and accepted it more graciously than I felt. They never bothered me again. We had rattlesnakes on rare occasions in the desert terrain around Albuquerque but they are very quick to leave people alone. As an EMT we’d get called out for snake bites- usually the patient provoked the critter; typical scenario is a young adult male with bite to hand!  The large snakes around our mountain home were bull snakes that kept the mice population down. 

Blessings for Ivan and Jacqui today, and all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  Glad to see at least some good reports. One day at a time is everything! 🌈

Thanks all for being here, for all your support and good wishes!
Stay safe, stay well, do your best to stay cool!  
Maureen 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, 

It's quite pleasant out at the moment and I have windows open (it's just after 8 AM) to keep the house cool but it's supposed to get up to 83 today. 

It's nice to be home but haven't fully unpacked yet. Yesterday was the pool which I sorely needed. My stuck hip flexor muscle finally felt a bit better. I took it easy in the afternoon but did make up two different cookie doughs - soft sugar and double chocolate walnut. They are in the fridge and I may bake them up this morning before it gets too hot. 

DM continues to plug along. She wasn't home when I called yesterday which worried me but she called about 45 minutes later and she'd been to the doctor. She'd had some swelling in her legs and feet and her feet felt cold. The doctor took her off a med the hospital gave her and put her back on her normal one which should take care of the issue. He also checked the gash on her forehead and the area where her pacemaker was implanted, declared them both looking good and said she could have a shower and wash her hair. She was so tickled to tell me that the care aide will be in this morning to help her do both! She'll be 98 on Aug. 12th and she just keeps on ticking. 

Karen

• Like 33