The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 21st, 2024

Trending up into upper 80s today and mid 80s all week but not too bad for July. 

Last night I left the Saturday night movie, loved just sitting out on a perfect night, even saw fireflies!  Only slept 6 hrs but that should be enough, not much happening today but tomorrow my schedule is too full!  Life is good!  🌈

Blessings to you all for all that’s needed. So many!  And our country. And the world. 

Home safe Sandi!  
Bon Voyage St Pete!

Rest Jacqui!

Eat Chuck! Eat Tana!

Breathe Terri!

Baby steps Bonnie! 

Cheers to all celebrating. 🥂
Smooth travels to all away especially our cruisers. 🛳️

We stopped in Lifou on our LA-Sidney crossing in 2013. These are not my pix but enjoy the beauty. 

Have a great day today! At least it won’t be cold!  Maureen 

IMG_2561.jpeg.94961cc7547989732776bbf0864aad74.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg.099457b0797ec45fb0fe6468b89939ec.jpeg

IMG_2559.jpeg.8798ea50a7295107cde614f7f1c4279d.jpeg

IMG_2558.jpeg.89ed6c43761286037464915721c9273a.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I wasn’t at all sleepy last night so we drove all night. We had stopped at a hotel and it was full so we just decided to go further. I actually drove a majority of the late night hours. DH was pretty tired from battling the incessant jams yesterday so he rested. We’re switching drivers now for the final 150 miles. 

As for the port today I don’t have my notes for today on me. They’re in DH’s laptop sleeve buried in a suitcase. It’s possible it’s new or maybe not. I haven’t been there before. If Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser can find some links I’m sure she can post them for you. I’ll check in again later today. Have a great Sunday!

Sandi, safe travels the rest of the way home.  I can't believe you drove all night.

I checked yesterday and again just now, and as far as I can tell, Easo is a new port for the FR/D.  We have not been there either, but this year's GANZ cruise stopped in Easo.  I found two links to posts about the stop, and will post them below in case Rich @richwmn or other Dailyites on the cruise would like to repost their pictures.  However, in checking the FR/D for the day the ship was in Easo, I did not find any pictures of the port.

This is a link to Rich's blog of the cruise.

Now, I'll try to get my act together, and then come back and read the rest of today's posts.

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  It's 74 degrees, cloudy and the humidity is so high, I'm off to get my snorkel gear.  I dont mind it it rains, I do mind when it is just humid!  In fact the computer says it's very HUMID.  ...says rain coming.....

DH wanted to get up and watch the pre race show, so I forced myself awake, and off the sofa, but he was more awake at 7:30 than he is now.  So I guess I will wake him up for the race.  Little Quiff spent the night with him, he said she stayed all night on the corner of the bed, but the bedroom smells like kitty pee, so I am assuming, she never left the room to get to a litter box either.  

We went out for dinner last night, I had wings, Vietnamese wings are really good!  The waiter said he was glad I went back to ordering my usual meal, and the chef made extra sauce for me.  

Besides grocery shopping, and watching car races, not much on the agenda.  

Tomorrow DH has his immunotherapy at 10, which lasts about 2-3 hours in the office. And then at the same hospital, he has a pain management meeting at 3.  I am taking the day off.  I know he will be worn out, but I will be too.

@StLouisCruiserskudos to you both for a rush to get home.  I had to do that (rent a car and drive) from New Orleans one year, when the ship came in, during a snowstorm, but our bus, did not. But that was back in the days when we had to be at work the next day.  I wouldn't do it now.

Since out cruise last November, Tazi cat has been hiding in the back bedroom.  Until the kittens found the back bedroom.  She has come out and is now living under the sofa in the den.  She wont come out to eat however, so I am now serving breakfast to a cat who lives under the sofa.  I put the plate at the back of the sofa, and slowly but surely the plate disappears from sight, and after a couple of hours i pull an empty plate out. I think she enjoys seeing other black cats.

@kazuI hope you are doing better today, with improvement showing every day.  

@grapau27Thank you for bringing us Father David, I hope he has a lovely summer break, and will miss him next week.

@LambKnuckles and @RMLincolnthank you ladies for your always positive outlook on life.

@Sharon in AZPlease wish Craig a very Happy Birthday from the crazy cat lady

th?id=OIP._Bhrj5vnNfjhAaVpzXztPwHaJJ&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

I think that everyone is already someone.

I'd like the borscht. Although I'm not prone to kidney stones, I limit high-oxalate foods to once per week. Swiss chard, a foliage beet, is my favorite.

I like brandy old fashioneds, if made with club soda, not 7UP. On cruise ships I've had to be very careful in ordering them, because it's sometimes interpreted as "an old-fashioned [made with whiskey] plus a brandy," in other words, two separate drinks, so now I always explain. It's true that Wisconsin has the country's highest per-capita consumption of brandy, and if you order a brandy old fashioned or brandy and soda in Chicago, the bartender may ask if you want cheese with it.

For a Cabernet Sauvignon, let's try Barnstormer Winery's 2022, $30. "Cool climate expression of Cabernet Sauvignon. Dark peppery notes, black cherries, leather, and a hint of smoke and vanilla."

The Scopes trial has a strange history. It was cooked up as a test case of a Tennessee law prohibiting the teaching of evolution, but the people behind it mainly wanted publicity for their town, which they got (much of it unfavorable). A separate Tennessee law required using a specific biology textbook that included evolution. Scopes later said that he had skipped that chapter, but students were coached to say that he had taught it. His conviction was overturned on appeal even though the appeals court upheld the law; the basis for overturning the conviction was that the fine had been set by the judge rather than by the jury. Most of the high-drama stuff in the film Inherit the Wind, which I showed once in a film festival, was fiction.

I am still not booking any cruises, so I need to skip all posts with photos.

Sallyupsells.jpg.763d584a5ddf1e49dacee259f5917d01.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 10

Thank you for the regular posters on the FR&D.  National Be Someone Day was started to restore dignity to a child who might be under physical and emotional duress. On July 21, adults are encouraged to take some time off their day to make a difference in a child’s life by committing to reporting child abuse. The ultimate goal of the day is to usher in a future where every child will have a right to a happy and dignified childhood. The day was founded by Project Harmony to not only end child abuse but to bring communities together through education and awareness. I think we can all unequivocally agree that every child has a right to a safe childhood and it’s the responsibility of the adults around them to ensure this.

For the garden club, Longwood Garden Showcases Blooming Century Plant be sure to check watch the video.

Positive thoughts to all who are struggling.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

59 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good Sunday Morning from Bar Harbor. How happy we are to here! The good ship Zuiderdam is here and is ready for us. We will board right after breakfast and checking out of the hotel. 

Your pictures are lovely - have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 19

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dfish said:

I have never had borscht and would like to try it.  The beets put me off a bit because they are high in oxalates.  Oxalates are not good for those of us prone to kidney stones.  The four highest foods are spinach, beets, rhubarb, and almonds.  I shudder when I think of putting beets on my spinach salads.  I'm surprised I didn't have more kidney stones.

Hi dfish, 

I've been battling kidney stones for about 40 years now.  Yes, beets are very high in oxalates, so best to avoid. All the things that are good for us seem to be high in oxalate

Edited by vince_g
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a very wet central Texas.  We are getting a good rain which we needed.  The cracks in the ground from lack of rain are at least 1/2 inch in many places.  According to the weather radar, the rain started about 7am and will last until about 9am.  We'll get rain off and on the rest of the day, tonight and tomorrow.  With the rain, our predicted high will be 87F.  It is currently 75F and feels like 75F.  Between the rain and having done the yard work yesterday, I think I'll take it easy today.

I'm glad I did not feel the lowest recorded temperature.  The coldest I've felt was in Pennsylvania when it was about -10F with a wind chill of -21F, and DH was in Chicago that day where it was even colder.  I try to be someone, me, everyday.  Sadly pet store puppies are usually from puppy mills, and many have hidden physical problems.

I like the quote, but even with changes perfection is usually elusive.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds lovely, but not at that price.

As I mentioned earlier, we have not been to Easo.

Today marks a sad day in 1925 when John Scopes was convicted of teaching evolution.

@aliaschief  Safe travels home today, and a safe flight to your family without any cancellations or problems.

@summer slope  Dixie, thanks for the interesting history of the Brandy Old Fashion, but I'll still pass.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry you couldn't get the computer to turn on.

@vince_g  Welcome to the Daily.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope the teenager can get his mother to eat the lovely brunch you have planned.

@Heartgrove  Jack, HAPPY 55TH ANNIVERSARY of your Coast Guard enlistment.  Thanks for sharing the great picture of your 18 year old self in uniform.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad your DH's numbers in the left eye have been below the target numberl a couple of times, and I hope hitting the target numbers will become the norm.

@marshhawk  I hope all goes well tomorrow with DH's appointments, Annie.  Thanks for the pictures from Glacier Bay.

@0106  Tina, thanks for the story behind Be Yourself Day.  No child, and actually, no one should be abused.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your recovery is going well, and you are taking things easy.

452254220_122189378180032823_1209431456958076246_n.jpg.cde09dd43889f74f79b8ce07ba24ddde.jpg

450791746_122167042052046691_3662344803235745659_n.jpg.5aad0b2b7b6bbae2511654f8d6149437.jpg

450926866_122160493064159528_3265969803138784946_n.jpg.b32a27faf910dfdbceb013bcb203ff94.jpg

451614873_8569374476410030_508036857503296796_n.jpg.7399e6a0c1129b6a4d170defe3c13759.jpg

452254323_335735262924171_4062008726886369981_n.jpg.01d5b58113daa02a375d84e70b1c7d49.jpg

452046984_473221078798779_6878608274442728317_n.jpg.ee3cad878508d0fb2cb6acf49514dae4.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 16

Good Morning from the Zuiderdam

Beautiful day here in Bar Harbor. We are waiting for open tendering to go ashore. We have no set plans so we are letting the crowd go first. 
    Many passengers and staff missed the ship. We finally left Boston at 7:30 last nite waiting a few flights. some are boarding today and others in Sydney. What a nightmare for all of them. We flew up on Thursday so we thankfully were not involved in all that.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers wishing you safe return home. All that driving after a wonderful vacation. Be careful! 
 @Sharon in AZ a very happy Birthday to your DH

Be safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

In November 2013, we visited Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia on a Pacific crossing after visiting New Zealand. I don't have a lot of pix, but will share a few.

The beach and some shade.......
Easo.thumb.JPG.657dda6a80f23d838674c599390d649c.JPG

DH in front of a colorful village shop

Easo-001.thumb.JPG.0fb730b8adcaf65849734db8381393d7.JPG

Oosterdam at anchorOosterdamanchoredinEaso.thumb.JPG.c642104d20607ab1e9e927a7c0baf1b4.JPG

Snorkeling from the beach

SnorkelinginEaso-002.thumb.JPG.9532aeb7bd0cd1845ca7151ad290c066.JPG

SnorkelinginEaso-010.thumb.JPG.9ca97b44ad205701cdecf50a611c36b5.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I haven't experienced the lowest recorded temperature in history, but have survived -50C (-58F) a few years ago.  Nobody wanted to go anywhere that day.  I like the idea of being someone, but like the idea more of helping children be themselves and be safe.  I'm all for adopting rescue puppies and dogs rather than heading to the pet store.  Having said that though, our Petland often has rescue kittens from our local SCAT program that they have for adoption, most of which go rather quickly.

It's another humid day out there for us - right now we've got 85% humidity and are under two warnings:  heat and air quality.  There's so much smoke in the air that it smells like wet campfire ash and the sky is a browny-grey colour.  The heat continues and we're expecting a high of 35 today (95), so will do what is needed outside then spend the rest of the day indoors.

Last evening we had a call from our friend Wayne who just had a new deck built on his house, inviting us over for a drink.  It was a beautiful evening, but we knew the amount of smoke in the air was great as the sun was bright red - like a big red balloon in the sky.  We sat outside enjoying a visit until dusk when suddenly we had a bajillion mosquitos around us and it became uncomfortable to sit there any longer.  We grabbed our drinks, headed indoors and finished off the evening with conversation and nibbles, not getting home until midnight.

@Sharon in AZplease wish Craig a very Happy Birthday from your Canadian friends.

@St Pete CruiserI'm so glad you made it safely to Bar Harbor and will be boarding the Zuiderdam today.

@St Louis Cruiserwhat a trek the two of you have made - stay safe on your last leg home.

@aliaschiefsafe travels as you and Sue make your way home today.

@Heartgrovecongratulations on the 55th anniversary of your enlistment!  Love the photo!

@marshhawkI love seeing the photos that make you happy - keep them coming!

Not a lot planned today, just watering the plants and then heading indoors to stay cool.  There's always something to do in the house - I found a pattern to make jar openers (cloth covered rubber drawer liners), so might start looking at my fabric stash and making them for next year's Summerfest gifts.  Or, I might just sit downstairs and watch some silly movies and stay cool.  LOL  

I'm going to give the drink a pass, would like the Cabernet Sauvignon, but not at that price, and hard pass on the menu suggestion.  I grew up with beet borscht and my gag reflex takes over just thinking about it.  I've mentioned before that DH's family introduced me to cabbage borscht, which is a different kind entirely, thankfully!  With the heat though, we're looking at cool meals, so tonight will be chicken salad made from some of the chicken breasts I cooked the other night in the air fryer, and we'll likely enjoy them in the cool comfort of the kitchen instead of the outdoors.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in turmoil.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

ScreenShot2024-07-21at07_38_04.thumb.png.5c82832d7820adbe3b91fb1562188e53.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Three good days to recognize and I believe the quote, though perfection is never achieved.  The meal looks interesting and I will keep the recipes, no to the drink (brandy) and wine ($), never been to the port, and it a sad day in history.

I am a procrastinator, especially if I am hesitant on how to do something.  So, yesterday grouting was not done but a lot of watching how to do it was accomplished.  Plus, heat is not this grouts friend, so with my apartment very warm in the afternoon (I keep it ~85-88F), I thought it wise to do it this morning.  Deep breath and off I go.

ScreenShot2024-07-21at06_49_43.thumb.png.48818b4b4d5d04211bf0240ec507b411.png

We should only hit ~100F and hopefully some monsoons later.  I heard thunder last night and I kept getting warnings on my phone but no rain at my house, just a little wind.

ScreenShot2024-07-17at16_16_04.thumb.png.9949aef71e6eb21013261e5e243e385d.png

@St Pete Cruiser I am glad you got to Boston and will be boarding soon.

@StLouisCruisers That sounds like a long drive and I hope you rest when you get home.

@ottahand7 So sorry about your computer.  Sounds like it is a goner!

@kazu I hope you are taking it easy and on the way to recovery!

@Sharon in AZ's DH - Happy Birthday!!

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1