The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 30th, 2024

Today is Father-In-Law Day, Friendship Day, and Health Care Now! Medicare's Birthday

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. - William Wallace

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Pineapple
Drink of the Day - Kamikaze
Wine of the Day - 2021 Riesling, Helden Trocken, Axel Pauly, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Funchal (Madeira), Portugal

Today in History:
1619 House of Burgesses Virginia forms, 1st elective American governing body

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0000-0000

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Stornoway, Isle of Lewis eta 07-31

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Oosterdam

Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Molde, Norway 08:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Corner Brook NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 21:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07-31

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland eta 07-31

0730World.thumb.png.f1880abf15ad518068fc1594739ae18f.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 25

Good morning friends!  Today it's once again 71F with mostly cloudy skies.  High will be 90!  There will be some sunshine popping out just like happened yesterday.  We had quite a thunderstorm last night at bedtime.  Yesterday at 5 pm DH dumped Sunday and Monday's rain out of the rain gauge which totaled 2.9 inches.  Like I said, we got more last night but didn't really need it.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for our Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  I like all the days to recognize, and would skip the food and beverages.  An important day in early American history.  Thanks to our gals, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Heartfelt prayers have been said by me for our Daily Care list group. 🙏 I truly hope there is improved health for all of you.  Prayers too for my DB and twin sister, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages who must be losing hope, and our wonderful troops overseas trying to keep everyone safe.  A salute to our cruisers and everyone celebrating special events in their lives! 🎂🥂 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your wonderful job in keeping the lists.

The destination today is Funchal (Madeira), Portugal which was posted previously on March 11, 2021, Dec. 16, 2022 and Dec. 9, 2023.  I enjoyed Funchal twice and will post some photos.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Have a great day everyone!  Try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Funchal, Madeira, Azores

Our first visit on Emerald Princess was in 2008.  It was our first transatlantic so we were excited to see this new and fascinating place.  We got on a bus and first did some touring of the cliff, Cabo Girao.  I loved the purple blooming trees all over the place.  This is a photo of some taken from the top of our double decker bus.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The view from an overlook.

And the view from the cliff, straight down.  That's a little unsettling, isn't it?

Back in town we headed to the market.  I think I remember these tiles on a wall there.

Presentation is just as important as the quality of the fruits and veggies.  I would buy from this vendor, wouldn't you?

In 2013 on the Royal Princess maiden transatlantic we enjoyed exploring more of the downtown area by walking, no tour.  Here we are at arrival in this lovely port.

A city park where vendors had set up shop.  I bought a handmade necklace from one.

Some fun musicians across from the park.

lovely fountain in a roundabout

Looks like fun!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is a very humid day (97%) here today with a chance of much-needed rain later this afternoon.  

I enjoy my new job which is keeping me very busy.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

20231104_055429.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

I called at the beach this morning and ate breakfast overlooking the North sea.

3 important days and interesting quote.

We have been to Madeira several times on cruises.

Prayers 🙏 for our friends who are unwell and on the care list.

Best wishes for a wonderful day.

IMG_20240730_075204.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

Little cooler this AM at 75 heading up to 91 with PM showers, African dust is invading Florida again which is good as it keeps hurricanes from forming. 
Good selection of days.

Interesting quote, I’m not sure if I agree.

I’m not a pineapple lover so I’ll pass on the meal.

I’ve never had a Kamikaze and probably never will as I’m not big on exotic drinks and basically stick to the basics, about as wild I get is a Pina Colada.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good early Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Up and almost awake to take DH to a new Doc, hoping for another option on the cancer.  Its dark.  Computer says it s 72, first day of school in the area I have to drive through, so I may head into town taking another route.  By pass schools and buses.

Get home, and work, work.  

160880560-e4035d4d403268e5b49678f2451271d0.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Kamikaze cocktail:

The Kamikaze is made of equal parts vodka, triple sec and lime juice. Garnish is typically a wedge or twist of lime. Kamikaze is a Japanese word literally meaning "divine wind". Dozens of variations exist in online databases today. Some include the addition of cane sugar. Wikipedia

Ingredients:
1 oz (1 part) Lime juice,
1 oz (1 part) Triple sec,
1 oz (1 part) Vodka

Preparation:
Shake all ingredients together in a mixer with ice. Strain into glass, garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 6.34.21 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

Up early this morning in Central Time and have no idea why. We are on high heat index alert today so hoping for a shower or two to cool it down.

Do wish that those with health issues receive some improvement and encouragement. For myself maybe I got up too early. There is always the option to go back to bed.

Love today’s port of call. Such a beautiful place.

Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.d2953f92cf0e26921e6d16deb77a47f4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9dfcc4c2b2f87c57ea20fab5d198a812.jpegimage.jpeg.81db41a2d92e84c8c3f03a68e92d57dd.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 24

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good early Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Up and almost awake to take DH to a new Doc, hoping for another option on the cancer.  Its dark.  Computer says it s 72, first day of school in the area I have to drive through, so I may head into town taking another route.  By pass schools and buses.

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking that. It’s dark outside! Arrest me!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 18
  • Haha 3

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D    I like all 3 of today’s days..    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

Interesting quote by Wallace...

I visited .Funchal twice, Wind Surf in 2007 and Seabourn Odyssey in 2017.

An interesting day in our history..

In it’s final years old Crystal had a Churrascaria and one of the deserts was a grilled (perhaps baked) spice pineapple that was to die for..  My alternative is Mixed Seasonal Greens, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Butter Pecan Ice Cream, as served on MS Prinsendam July 30 2018..

..dishc.JPG.b1bd0ab8691e124f38f984df1524ae77.JPG

I think today will be busy with one of my more distant grocery stores in the morning and PT at noon.

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I’m in big trouble.

• Like 5
  • Haha 16

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, rich and thanks to the F & B team

Friendship is so important and true friends precious so I will celebrate friendship day.  I like the William Wallace quote - there’s truth to it.  Funchal and Madeira are truly beautiful.  We have been fortunate to be there many times and returning in this Fall.  I love touring with Daniel and his team as he takes you to so many different parts of Madeira.  All so beautiful.  DD DH thought it was more beautiful than the Amalfi Coast.  I’ll see if I can find pics that aren’t duplicates.

@marshhawk Annie best wishes and prayers for the appointment today.  I pray that a solution can be found 🙏 

@ger_77 Gerry, LOL of Ivan pulling me up the stairs.  He probably could  with the amount of weight I have lost.  However, he doesn’t do the steps leading upstairs (none of my dogs did when they were installed - too slippery for them) nor do I want him to.  They are solid Brazilian Cherry - a very hard wood and I fear he would slip on the way down and that would end all our success with the bones in his back down the tubes.

I DID get upstairs and was able to re-program my printers successfully (i think).  Lost my connection when I lost internet and got the bookshelves finished in the sitting room, guest room and Jose’s office.  My office still needs doing desperately.  I need a chair in it to rest in between though (gave away a bunch) so I will ask my guy to move the only one left from Jose’s office to mine when he comes to put my donation boxes out tonight.  I was wiped after that job.

Today is D-Day - paperwork for the new place and fortunately, they are coming to me since driving that distance right now is not advisable.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues , worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising  🥂 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Might get some rain this evening. Several meetings today and work on my classes. Other than that, nothing much going on. 71 days to go until my cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Tuesday humor | Animal humor | Cat funny | Work week blues | Waiting ...

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday! Thank you to all who make the FR & D a special place.  I am happy to be able share some pictures of the beautiful island of Madeira.  Our first stop was the market.IMG_6226.thumb.jpeg.69d0e94df224b6ac88aa72c75d760fdc.jpegThen up the mountain to this church which is also the place where the toboggan run begins.IMG_6247.thumb.jpeg.66b9999e614b6f340281e614d6c68fbc.jpegNext we walked over to the aerial tram that would take us down to the botanical gardens.IMG_6255.thumb.jpeg.7260b8638badbbbe523ff0921954b4dd.jpeg

IMG_6258.thumb.jpeg.972ee7c5c54d23d766852ed405bc9adb.jpeg

IMG_6276.thumb.jpeg.74fe5ba3b8eac5a4a0418be836f40e2d.jpeg

IMG_6283.thumb.jpeg.116c005813a19febc5ecb273e2523cc0.jpeg

Our evening sailaway.IMG_6297.thumb.jpeg.23210b7eb461e95dd3af4878c310e847.jpegI could happily spend a week on the island!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Annie @marshhawk good luck today at Chuck's appointment.  I hope they can come up with something new.

Jacqui @kazu I'm so glad you were able to get upstairs and get some work done that needed doing.  I think you're doing a fabulous job preparing for the sale and the move.  Props to you! 👍

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Dfish with hernia repair issues

Vict0riann’s DH Pat with shortness of breath, heart valve issues

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Doobieb’s friend Leesa with breast cancer, surgery next week

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish’s successful nerve ablation; able to walk much longer

Rafinmd’s improved sleeping and less neck pain

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, good eye pressures this week

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore Aug 4 to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 16
  • Thanks 22

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  

Hot and humid already this morning.  Thunderstorms in the forecast.

I never really had a father-in-law, he died before Jim and I married.  My dad was a good father-in-law to Jim.  Friendships are extremely important.  Happy Birthday Medicare!

Interesting quote, there's some truth to it.

Yes to the meal, drink and wine.

I've never been to Funchal but I'd love to go.  Thanks for all the wonderful pictures.

Prayers for so many.  @marshhawk Good luck with the appointment. 🙏

Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.   Stay cool.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.   It got down to 62 overnight and running a fan to bring in cool air got us down to 67, better than yesterday when we woke and it was 72 inside.  Like all of everyone no break in the heat for a week for us. 

Thanks for the daily and map Rich.  FIL is gone a long time ago.  I will celebrate Medicare and my good friends.  Thanks for the lovely photos of Funchal.  It looks like a wonderful place to visit and I would love to visit a Madeira winery.  An aged one is spectacular.  I like pineapple so probably would enjoy it grilled.  A Kamikaze would be good in the Tamarind bar and would love the Trocken Riesling.  

Annie I hope Chuck's appointment provides some better treatments.  I was surprised you said kiddos are back in school already.  Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana and Terry.  Prayers for Jacqui as you continue to work on your move and do your paperwork for your new home.  Prayers for everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for those in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

Today will begin sunny and cloud up as the day goes on.  This humid weather makes it difficult for good solar power generation but we have been squeaking by without the generator coming on.   A sunny day today will get the batteries back to a higher charge.  Perhaps some fishing today.   Have a lovely Tuesday.  Nancy 

IMG_20240729_072908816.jpg

IMG_20240729_073202715_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240729_073541362_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240729_072955964.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

We have a rainy morning here in mid-Michigan.  The silver lining is that we don't have to go out and water the flowers.  Nature is taking care of that.  Only yoga and a pedicure on the agenda for today.  

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the appointment today is productive.

@kazu It sounds like you are making good progress.  

Grilled pineapple does not make a meal, but it would be a great accompaniment to a pork roast, ham, or pork chops.  Or, have it for dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it.  Chocolate sauce would go well with that, too.  https://therecipecritic.com/caramelized-grilled-pineapple/

grilledpineapple1.thumb.jpg.8ec7d5f26503bb3cb2feeb9139878074.jpg

The first recipe was really easy and basic.  This next one uses a honey lime mixture to grill the pineapple.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-pineapple-2-pts/

grilledpineapple2.thumb.jpg.2dfea4b83d6f7b5a3703b504eb6404a3.jpg

I like the flavor variations offered in this recipe.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/grilled-pineapple/

grilledpineapple3.thumb.png.b78b1961baa3ec526f202273b26b9215.png

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A perfect morning after a lovely day yesterday. Didn’t need to put the outside fans on yesterday when I was sitting on the patio. Hope today is as lovely. Brayden made it home yesterday with no issues. He had a super time. Loved building & operating a robot, even if he didn’t win the tournament.  

Vanessa, I would have been scared s*#tless, if I turned in bed and everything started spinning. I hope your life gets boring SOON. At least your medical life. Thank you for keeping up with us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, pool time. Just a routine day, but I will take it. 

IMG_3203.jpeg.29d088a8af22f93576acb680ae9e4c5e.jpeg

IMG_3205.jpeg.2287f158372e883f534ca078029c0758.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg.832d9daa68abef59ea1b6322fc8c6411.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @dfish Debbie, praying you get your hernia repaired. Fast. 

Tana, praying that you have a good day & get to enjoy your food. 

Chuck, praying that you have a pain free day & eat well!

Prayers for all our caregivers. Bless you for making it happen every day. Please take care of yourselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today.

2021 Riesling, Helden Trocken, Axel Pauly, Mosel

This Riesling sounds lovely, but sadly I could not find anyplace that would ship it to me, and no places in the US that sold it. So if you are visiting Europe, look for it. In England it costs about 30 pounds. Probably a bit cheaper in other parts of Europe. 

Distributor notes

"What a stunner. The fruit is great. Bit of peach, bit of grapefruit, there’s a subtle smokiness about it too from the Mosel slates and a long finish. I'd enjoy this with sushi or a seafood cocktail."

The 'Helden' (meaning 'heroes' in German) Riesling, was harvested from 80-year-old vines from the top site of Lieserer Niederberg-Helden. It is a pure, rich, aromatic wine with attractive aromas of ripe apple, wild pear and stone fruit. There is such wonderful concentration on the palate which is balanced by refreshing acidity leading to a long, precise finish. An absolutely delicious wine

This would be delicious with a platter of sushi or sashimi.

Germany, Mosel

Riesling 12.50% Dry

Axel Pauly is one of the dynamic young stars of German wine. He took over the Pauly estate from his father after having done vintages in California, New Zealand and other parts of Germany. Most of the ten hectare estate is situated in the village of Lieser in the heart of the Mosel Valley, with the exception of a small parcel in neighbouring Bernkastel. Fittingly, the label features the Mosel hills which, when turned on their side, reveals the ‘Tres Naris’ (or ‘three noses’) of Axel, his father and his grandfather.

The grey and blue slate soils of Lieser are cooler than the red slate in Bernkastel, which results in more minerally wines than those from its more famous neighbour. The Pauly vines cling to steeply sloping, vertigo-inducing vineyards, where Axel uses crop thinning, leaf plucking and grape selection at harvest to ensure a ripeness of flavour in the fruit that he preserves through to the final wine.

The grapes were hand picked and sorted before they underwent a cold soak for a period of 24-48 hours. Gentle pressing followed before fermentation with wild yeasts in stainless-steel tanks, with no malolactic fermentation. The wine was aged in large barrels on full lees for a period of six months with weekly bâtonnage.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

Good very humid morning. Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon. 
I have been to Madeira several times on crossings. Such a beautiful place. 
Mr Trouble has a routine vet appointment this morning. Wish us luck getting him in the carrier, He’s not going to like it.🤞🐾

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1