Radiance of the Seas; Looking for a quiet place away from most crowds.

During our upcoming Alaska cruises (doing the RT from Vancouver to Alaska and back) I will have to do some work. My initial plan is to do it in my cabin, but if the WiFi connection isn't great there, or my wife is sleeping,  I would like to have a backup plan and find somewhere on the ship that is usually quieter than other places. Sat/Sun about 0800 in the morning, and Wed/Thu/Fri around 1600 for about 3h each time.

I will be primarily doing some voice chat on Discord and have a web site on my laptop. I'm not concerned about people hearing the things I say; no secrets are going to be given away, nor is anyone's privacy at risk.  It's more that I need to hear the people on the other end, and they need to hear me. I will be wearing a set of over the ear headphones with a mic. 

• Haha 1

The only guaranteed place would be your cabin.

Also note that the internet can be questionable in Alaska due to the terrain. You might not get the bandwidth to perform voice.

• Like 2

Most public places pipe music in all the time.  Getting work done isn’t a problem unless you will be on conference calls, client calls or online meetings.  

Starlink internet is a game changer in Alaska but not perfect.  It can still drop out at time, likely when you need it most.  

Don’t forget the time change.  Working from Alaska when on an Eastern daily schedule has some challenges.  YMMV.  

There used to be a conference ctr on deck 5.  If still there I would ask guest services if you could use that area or possibly the Tide dining room (small room before MDR on deck 4) for early morning work calls.

The late afternoon / evening calls will be a challenge due to noise.  Hopefully voom is ok in your cabin or the conference ctr is an option.

14 hours ago, HicksRA said:

The Schooner Bar is usually pretty quiet in the mornings up until trivia time. Also, further back, the Colony Club is usually pretty dead during that time as well. 

The Colony Club is my favorite Quiet place on the Radiance class but there is no way that it will be quiet for 3 hours starting at 16:00

If there are no large groups on the ship the conference center in back of the Photo Shop might be available

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you are Diamond or higher I recommend using Crown lounge. On our March cruise on Vision I prepared for test there and worked one day as our ship had to arrive to Norfolk rather than Baltimore due to the bridge accident. I also used to work several days per year from the ships.

Keep in mind ships do not have many power outlets outside of your room even on newer ships. So either bring power bank or/and find areas with one (not always easy). Last time LA allowed me to work for some time from her desk in Crown lounge, when she was not there from 11 AM to 4 PM.

Edited by Tatka

I was on Radiance in June for an Alaska cruise. I don’t think you will find any place in the ship that will definitely be quiet for 3 hours. My recommendation is work from your cabin. Also, keep in mind the WiFi service in Alaska is not nearly as good as it is in the Caribbean. Since RCI switched to Starlink, I have had outstanding WiFi service on every cruise in the Caribbean. However, the WiFi was very inconsistent during the seven days I was on Radiance. 

11 minutes ago, Tatka said:

If you are Diamond or higher I recommend using Crown lounge.

This was my first thought, until I saw the time frames the OP mentioned. I'm sure it varies from cruise to cruise, but in my experience, the Crown Lounge isn't particularly quiet while breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres are being served. 

• Like 1

Check the Cruise Compass for the time of your meetings, and avoid those places, as they will be noisy.

I recommend the Starquest Lounge, which is actually part of the Viking Crown on Deck 13. The VC is usually very quiet during the day, and is one of my favorite places to read. 

If you go all the way to the far right from the door, try to get the end chair, and turn it to face the window or a wall. That way your voice won't travel, and hopefully you won't be too close to others where your mic will pick up other conversations.

The Card Room on Deck 10, mid-ship. The Library / Internet cafe on Deck 9, way in the back. The Explorer's Court on Deck 8 next to the elevator, but only if it's mostly empty. Face the wall.

Business Services on Deck 7, but it's really an internet cafe and your meeting might disturb the other passengers.

The Cinema on Deck 5 if there's nothing scheduled. Very quiet.

The Tides side dining room on Deck 4 at non-meal times, and if it's empty and unlocked.

Some of this just re-hashes what others have said.

I second the vote on asking about the conference center. It's typically not even locked, but you you'd want to check if anyone has it reserved. Pretty much any venue that is not in use will be quiet. Venues are rarely locked, and crew doesn't seem to mind, especially if you are just sitting there minding your own business and they don't need to prepare it for anything.

Pre-noon, the theater is almost never used, unless it's closed for rehearsals. The Colony Club should also work, unless there is a non-denominational service Sunday morning. Pub might work. Even those nooks on the forward side of the Atrium might work in the AM (Business Services, Library, Card Room)  might work as there's not usually as many things going on in the atrium pre-noon. 

it's the 16:00-19:00 that will be extremely difficult other than the conference center. Pretty much everything is used during those times.

A few other ides:

• The area where the Loyalty Desk is up on 12. That would be quiet with not much traffic.
  • Chef's Table (if it's not being used)
  • The covered outdoor area near the Dog House can be quiet, but on an Alaska cruise, maybe a bit cool?
  • And down in the "art gallery", there's like 3(?) desks, and they only really use 1. I've seen people sitting there. The only times it would be noisy is if people are queueing up for the theater for a show or excursions. Otherwise, people are just passing through.

2 hours ago, pcur said:

The Cinema on Deck 5 if there's nothing scheduled. Very quiet.

I have never been on the Radiance but have been on all the others in the class.  The cinema is usually semi dark even if there is no movie playing and there is always background music playing.  Also there are no tables there.

2 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

I have never been on the Radiance but have been on all the others in the class.  The cinema is usually semi dark even if there is no movie playing and there is always background music playing.  Also there are no tables there.

To add to your comment, I lost my WiFi signal every time we were in the theater (to be fair we were only in there twice) 

Just off the Radiance on an Alaska cruise July 19-26….. my first choice would be Viking Crown lounge. Deck 13.  Pretty deserted in the morning, although one day was a private function, closed off due to the art sale. If Diamond status or above , the crown lounge. Also deck 13.  The Colony Club usually very quiet and deserted in the am.

On 8/11/2024 at 12:30 PM, Badatz2 said:

Not knowing the specifics of the OP's needs, I just went through all the deck plans and picked out the areas I knew to be quiet.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 7:03 PM, swsf99a said:

Just off the Radiance on an Alaska cruise July 19-26….. my first choice would be Viking Crown lounge. Deck 13.  Pretty deserted in the morning, although one day was a private function, closed off due to the art sale. If Diamond status or above , the crown lounge. Also deck 13.  The Colony Club usually very quiet and deserted in the am.

Those areas will work for a morning meeting but a three hour meeting at 4pm, neither of those will be very quiet during happy hour.

• Like 1

I agree that the Viking Crown Lounge (where they have the rotating bar) over to the far right area would be very quiet in the AM.  In the PM, there are a couple of conference rooms, and I would bet one of the two would be vacated in the late PM/evening.    The only time I've seen those conf rooms fully occupied was on a TA where they had a sewing/knitting group set up 24/7.  

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The Colony Club

I second the Colony CLub, nobody ever in there.  WE had a mounty give a lecture once and we played a game of pool but mostly vacant!

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I second the Colony CLub, nobody ever in there.  WE had a mounty give a lecture once and we played a game of pool but mostly vacant!

Don't manipulate my post, nowhere did I say colony club.  I was referring to the first two lounges in the post I quoted, which were the viking crown lounge and crown lounge.