The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 19th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  This is the last day of our Midwest sojourn, tomorrow we will be back home in Wells, ME.  

We have three interesting days to recognize, I’ll take the root beer float please.

I doubt most women would agree with today’s quote.

No thanks on the meal suggestion.  A Beefeater martini is my drink of choice with only a few drops of vermouth.  If I were served one with as much vermouth as in the recipe I’d have to send it back.

I have not been to today’s port.

Praying for those on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!  Here’s hoping that @kazu receives the offer that she is hoping for today. 🤞

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is cloudy with a thunderstorm coming later but only 70 so far. It absolutely poured and there was a great deal of flooding in Connecticut and on our usual parkways. My brothers’ town even had water rescues from houses. He is on a big hill and was ok.

I was up early to say goodbye to the guys and they decided it was better to wait until later as both routes through Connecticut are compromised from the flooding. I enjoyed a good laugh when I read @dfish’s comment! I did get some rest and enjoyed being with the boys. Thanks!

I will pass on root beer anything and will cheer Gene Roddenberry. We are rewatching StarTrek series and always enjoy them. Chick peas are fine but I will pass on the recipes. Tonight I have a spinach lasagna that DS made for us. 
Have a great day everyone.

• Like 37

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good Monday morning. @kochleffel, Paul, This one's for you!

Martini cocktail:

The martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth, and garnished with an olive and/or a lemon twist. Over the years, the martini has become one of the best-known mixed alcoholic beverages. A common variation, the vodka martini, uses vodka instead of gin for the cocktail's base spirit.
Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth,
3 oz (6 parts) Gin

Preparation:
Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 6.46.24 AM.png

What an uneventful name for a drink. Folks, I have nothing here.

• Like 11
  • Haha 13

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

After dropping Pauline off at work this morning I got my breakfast at a drive thru and went to a nearby beach to eat it and admire the North sea.

IMG_20240819_075230.jpg

Now that’s more like it! 👍👍👍👍

• Like 17
  • Haha 6

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Today is Coco Chanel Day. I appreciate Chanel with the following cruise story. Years ago while on a Caribbean cruise my frame for my eyeglasses broke and the only other pair of glasses I had was sunglasses! The next port of call was Aruba so when we arrived I found an eyeglass store to try and fit my glasses into new frames. The only pair that worked was a female glass frame with the trademark, Chanel!  So for several weeks RedneckBob wore Chanel!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

Good morning Dailyites 

Up and down during the night. Oliver was growling to go out and I made sure there weren't any "pole cats" creeping about. 

My sister is ready for surgery tomorrow. She's playing her last game of pickleball for awhile and going out for a luncheon with her friends. Please send her a prayer.

Thinking of you @kazu. Praying the world tilts in your favor today.

Sandi, hoping your sister feels better today, and listened to you on taking meds as prescribed. Thankful Ren is recovering strongly.

Prayers for Tana (EAT) and try to regain a bit of strength. Speaking of, Terri I think you are an awesome caregiver. God bless you.

Prayers lifted for all our friends on the care list immaculately put together by our Vanessa. 

Graham,  I agree with your list of things women want, along with Jacqui's add on. Where would we be without wine!

Remember Belinda? She's out of her shoulder sling on doing great in PT. Ron is on a new drug for his leukemia and tolerates it well. Thankful!

Luggage pick up is on Thursday. Today I don't have much planned, so thought I'd start working down my list. The meds that are short will be in the mail today, so I can get our weekly boxes ready. And since we will be at the very front of the ship, I will pack plenty of Bonine. 

It's going to be a hot one, 104, so I will get some little weeds I saw pulled up, plants and birdbath watered, and birds fed. 

Wishing y'all a wonderful,  blessed day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from a soon to be sunny central Texas.  It is 77F and heading to a high of 103F this afternoon. We are more than 100 miles south of where Sandi @StLouisCruisers is, and our temperatures are always a bit lower.  We have a 4mph wind that is not apparent looking out the window.  The humidity with a dew point of 70F.  The humidity and dew point will drop as the day warms up, so brief excursions outside won't be too uncomfortable, but I'm not planning on being outside this afternoon.  DH has a follow up CT scan this morning in preparation to his follow up visit to UTSW on Friday.  These are both routine appointments, and he doesn't need to be put on the care list.

I enjoy root beer floats, but it's been quite a while since I had one.  I think I mentioned a few weeks ago, that Blue Bell has developed an A&W root beer float ice cream, that tastes just like a real root beer float.  Coco Chanel changed women's fashion with her little black dress.  Chanel No. 5 is my favorite cologne.  The Great Bird of the Galaxy is an interesting day to honor.

The quote is interesting, and we need to remember that Chris Rock is a comedian going for laughs.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  To me chickpeas are a replacement for meat, and one that I avoid.  We'll also pass on the drink, but would enjoy the wine.

We have not been to Toyama, and I had to look it up on Google Maps.  It appears to be a little inland from Toyama Bay.

Two good days in the history of space exploration to celebrate.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope Momma Munchkin did not cause to much trouble getting her in the carrier.  I hope she does well with her surgery.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you get lots of good offers that exceed the asking price.  I hope you and Ivan enjoy your looker free day.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope your DH can be treated for his rash soon.

@Heartgrove  Jack, thanks for the update on your DSIL.  I hope her surgery on Thursday goes well.

@doobieb  Debbie, I'm sorry your DH tested positive. I hope he feels better soon.  I also hope you do not get sick.

@dfish  Debbie, that is good news the critters seem to be locked out of the house.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for telling us about the Great Bird of the Galaxy.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels tomorrow for you and your DH.

@smitty34877  Terry, safe travels to your DS and DGS later today.  It's always nice when visitors leave prepared meals.

@RedneckBob  RNB, I hope the Chanel frames did not ruin your redneck reputation.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, your sister will be in my thoughts until she is successfully out of surgery and doing well.  

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I hope your DH can get the cat out from under the bed this afternoon.

453653295_455695593964011_2598963495063055809_n.jpg.2e35fb91526a83ab4e9122f250def6ad.jpg

454009161_406251265805665_4827059041090594428_n.jpg.f3ce5d9e99418d84a9ba9ef12bffd7c6.jpg

454052868_122153087414247919_6037834719986411156_n.jpg.1bcb9aaa10ce1ae64ef24e31dc099be4.jpg

454069551_340367285814861_800744880201132778_n.jpg.946952e1d30326ab22f1ea99d26ab8cb.jpg

454355361_3473276359631077_7222848852048824146_n.jpg.4797b610aa2ba120000defb41bc0fe0f.jpg

454405788_469842822510640_2172423923951929900_n.jpg.606c5e4793bf6ecb2cade9eec0abf5a8.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 14

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites 

Up and down during the night. Oliver was growling to go out and I made sure there weren't any "pole cats" creeping about. 

My sister is ready for surgery tomorrow. She's playing her last game of pickleball for awhile and going out for a luncheon with her friends. Please send her a prayer.

Thinking of you @kazu. Praying the world tilts in your favor today.

Sandi, hoping your sister feels better today, and listened to you on taking meds as prescribed. Thankful Ren is recovering strongly.

Prayers for Tana (EAT) and try to regain a bit of strength. Speaking of, Terri I think you are an awesome caregiver. God bless you.

Prayers lifted for all our friends on the care list immaculately put together by our Vanessa. 

Graham,  I agree with your list of things women want, along with Jacqui's add on. Where would we be without wine!

Remember Belinda? She's out of her shoulder sling on doing great in PT. Ron is on a new drug for his leukemia and tolerates it well. Thankful!

Luggage pick up is on Thursday. Today I don't have much planned, so thought I'd start working down my list. The meds that are short will be in the mail today, so I can get our weekly boxes ready. And since we will be at the very front of the ship, I will pack plenty of Bonine. 

It's going to be a hot one, 104, so I will get some little weeds I saw pulled up, plants and birdbath watered, and birds fed. 

Wishing y'all a wonderful,  blessed day.

Sounds like you have a busy week ahead getting everything ready to cruise.  Thanks for your thoughts on twin sis and Ren.  We noticed him scratching an itch on his back with his healing arm so he is doing well working it back into shape.  He does his PT exercises here at home on the weekend so we know he's serious about keeping it up.  Twin said she was in a little pain yesterday when we texted.  It was time for another pill.  I know she hopes the 3 weeks of no movement will go quickly so she can put her own deodorant on!  LOL!

Prayers for Bonnie! 🙏  Good news about Belinda and Ron too.  👍  Hugs to you and Allen! 🤗

34 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is cloudy with a thunderstorm coming later but only 70 so far. It absolutely poured and there was a great deal of flooding in Connecticut and on our usual parkways. My brothers’ town even had water rescues from houses. He is on a big hill and was ok.

I was up early to say goodbye to the guys and they decided it was better to wait until later as both routes through Connecticut are compromised from the flooding. I enjoyed a good laugh when I read @dfish’s comment! I did get some rest and enjoyed being with the boys. Thanks!

I will pass on root beer anything and will cheer Gene Roddenberry. We are rewatching StarTrek series and always enjoy them. Chick peas are fine but I will pass on the recipes. Tonight I have a spinach lasagna that DS made for us. 
Have a great day everyone.

I saw the flooding on the news and agree it's a good idea for DS and DGS to wait to drive through Connecticut.  I bet the spinach lasagna will be welcome come dinner time!  Glad to hear you got some rest.  I know you are appreciated for all you do for Tana and the teenager.  We are in awe of you!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

I do not post here often, but like to read your thread as my morning travelogue! Learning about ports, recipes, and experiencing your travails and joys along with you as I wake up.

i have to comment today on celebrating Coco Chanel Day.

She was a brilliant designer and business woman, but her activities during WWII, would never allow me to celebrate her.

For a fascinating look at her, watch The New Look on Apple TV.

Although one would think it is solely about fashion, it is more of an historical presentation of France under German Occupation.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

@Seasick Sailor, Joy, thank you for your kind words. I am very touched as I know you know what is involved. We do what we do out of love primarily and I have had some wonderful people in my life. It is my way to “ pay back” , so to speak. Sending my prayers to your  Bonnie and her family. And to you and Allen as well.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, thank you as well. I know that you also follow this path and understand. Tana told me to tell you that I am all too human with a whole lot of words she never thought I knew! ha ha!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning. We received a little rain last night that was needed. Monday is laundry day so can you sense my enthusiasm over that? Starting to prepare for our upcoming trip to East Jordan. My brother-in-law is big into barbershop music. So Saturday we will drive down to Travers City to watch his group perform.

Lawn crew is arriving shortly and it will be their last time providing service. They are the best I have ever had so I’ll have to find a new service.

@TiogaCruiser Have a great cruise. It’s been a long time since we were on the South America/Antartica cruise with you. We will repeat that cruise and more this coming year. Bon Voyage!

Have a great week everyone. Thanks for the reports and post. B.

image.jpeg.fb8c295f2824fea08dc684921ed8d77e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.928cf318a1038e60d2d1145c472ce18a.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 29
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a soon to be sunny central Texas.  It is 77F and heading to a high of 103F this afternoon. We are more than 100 miles south of where Sandi @StLouisCruisers is, and our temperatures are always a bit lower.  We have a 4mph wind that is not apparent looking out the window.  The humidity with a dew point of 70F.  The humidity and dew point will drop as the day warms up, so brief excursions outside won't be too uncomfortable, but I'm not planning on being outside this afternoon.  DH has a follow up CT scan this morning in preparation to his follow up visit to UTSW on Friday.  These are both routine appointments, and he doesn't need to be put on the care list.

I enjoy root beer floats, but it's been quite a while since I had one.  I think I mentioned a few weeks ago, that Blue Bell has developed an A&W root beer float ice cream, that tastes just like a real root beer float.  Coco Chanel changed women's fashion with her little black dress.  Chanel No. 5 is my favorite cologne.  The Great Bird of the Galaxy is an interesting day to honor.

The quote is interesting, and we need to remember that Chris Rock is a comedian going for laughs.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  To me chickpeas are a replacement for meat, and one that I avoid.  We'll also pass on the drink, but would enjoy the wine.

We have not been to Toyama, and I had to look it up on Google Maps.  It appears to be a little inland from Toyama Bay.

Two good days in the history of space exploration to celebrate.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope Momma Munchkin did not cause to much trouble getting her in the carrier.  I hope she does well with her surgery.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you get lots of good offers that exceed the asking price.  I hope you and Ivan enjoy your looker free day.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope your DH can be treated for his rash soon.

@Heartgrove  Jack, thanks for the update on your DSIL.  I hope her surgery on Thursday goes well.

@doobieb  Debbie, I'm sorry your DH tested positive. I hope he feels better soon.  I also hope you do not get sick.

@dfish  Debbie, that is good news the critters seem to be locked out of the house.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for telling us about the Great Bird of the Galaxy.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels tomorrow for you and your DH.

@smitty34877  Terry, safe travels to your DS and DGS later today.  It's always nice when visitors leave prepared meals.

@RedneckBob  RNB, I hope the Chanel frames did not ruin your redneck reputation.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, your sister will be in my thoughts until she is successfully out of surgery and doing well.  

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I hope your DH can get the cat out from under the bed this afternoon.

453653295_455695593964011_2598963495063055809_n.jpg.2e35fb91526a83ab4e9122f250def6ad.jpg

454009161_406251265805665_4827059041090594428_n.jpg.f3ce5d9e99418d84a9ba9ef12bffd7c6.jpg

454052868_122153087414247919_6037834719986411156_n.jpg.1bcb9aaa10ce1ae64ef24e31dc099be4.jpg

454069551_340367285814861_800744880201132778_n.jpg.946952e1d30326ab22f1ea99d26ab8cb.jpg

454355361_3473276359631077_7222848852048824146_n.jpg.4797b610aa2ba120000defb41bc0fe0f.jpg

454405788_469842822510640_2172423923951929900_n.jpg.606c5e4793bf6ecb2cade9eec0abf5a8.jpg

Lenda

Ms. Crystal,  The Chanel glass frame helped clean up my act! 

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'd love a root beer float, Coco Chanel was a great designer, and can you believe I've only seen a couple of the Star Trek movies?  DH isn't a fan of sci fi, so unless I see them on TV, I don't watch them at all.  

We're back from a great weekend at our friend's lake where we were treated like king and queen again by their adult children.  From a charcuterie board welcome to a picnic cooler send-off, it was wonderful.  We did get to go fishing, as the weather was great - not too hot, not too windy, just right for sitting in a boat waiting for the bites.  DH had 1 bite, it took his bait, I caught one - I've had fish tacos that were larger, so I sent it on it's way, but our friend caught 4 - all walleye and large enough to keep.  

We didn't have wi-fi out there and cell phone reception was spotty at best.  I tried posting on FB a couple of times and found it took nearly an hour after I posted for it to show up, so I just put my phone away.  It wasn't a bad thing, being disconnected for a couple of days!  Here's our sunset view from the stairs leading down to the lake - quite idyllic.

LakeTime.JPG.4642b2c13d62a2c6f027cee57eabc590.JPG

It seems I missed a lot, being away for even a couple of days - I hope @kazu gets some wonderful offers today; @Mr. Bostonyou and DH looked so handsome in your tuxes; @smitty34877I'm glad you had some help this weekend; @marshhawkhoping you're able to get mama kitty to the vet alright; @Haljo1935sending good thoughts for your kitty under the bed!

This morning we'll head off to the Field House for the cardiac rehab program, then pick up a few groceries and that's really all on our agenda.  It's looking like rain over the next couple of days, so we won't be doing any outside work - it'll be time for me to work on another blanket.  

I'm going to pass on the drink, will say yes please to the wine, and a hard pass on the menu suggestion, as we like real meat in our burgers.  Our friends sent us home with leftover chicken kabobs, potato salad and grilled veggies, all of which will find their way to our deck table for us to enjoy for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in preparation for surgeries, and in the midst of wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, 

Back to the daily routines here but I do miss the beds on the cruise ship. I slept so well last week so it must have been a combination of the bed and the movement. 

No to Root Beer floats and the meal of the day as well as the wine. 

My Monday routine involves the pool and two water aerobics classes. The first is a good workout, then a 30 minute break, then an arthritis class which focuses more on stretching. After a week without the pool my body is telling me it needs this workout! 

My DBIL is coming by this afternoon to pick up one of the two mobility scooters I had for DD DH. This one quit working so he wants to take it and see if he can make it work. It will be nice to have a visit with him as well. He lost his DW in April so we're going through some of the same processes. 

Karen

• Like 34

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

OH no, now the computer says very humid.!

Years ago DH and I watched a program called departures.  It was a travelogue about 2 young Canadians who traveled the globe, for one one year, and photographed and filmed (so actually there were 3 of them) their travels, I loved this show, it actually ran for 3 seasons,  I have been thinking about ordering it, but I asked DH If he could find it , so it turns out its on Roku.  And we started watching Saturday night, they drove across Canada, and went to Petra Jordan.  Then we watched all day yesterday, as they traveled to Japan, New Zealand, The Cook Islands, India, Ascension Island, and then we went to bed. Between shows, I made a quiche to munch off of this week, I vacuumed the living room and dining room (our office area).

When the year was over, one went back to work, along with the filmographer, and the one who had the hardest time "missing Home" when they started the adventure, decided that he had not seen enough of the world, and stayed in Europe.  He called his friend, and said, hey come back over, there is still so much to see, and they meet up in Spain, and start year 2, which is more insightful than year one, and I noticed when D brought it up, there were 3 seasons.  I dont remember 3, so perhaps they kept traveling?

I see so many scenes that I have seen since I became a Dailyites, that you all post, it's like when I see them now, I say, of that's so and such place, and  so and so posted pictures, and DH thinks I am losing it.  LOL.  But your pictures do make me feel like I have done the traveling.

The show was released back in 08, and that's when I watched it, before I even became a cruise "junky".

Looks like this is included with Amazon Prime. Sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Just got a notice on my email that Phil Donahue has passed away. I enjoyed his show and found him to be quite easygoing. He and Marlo Thomas made a great pair. 

Thanks for the information.

I enjoyed the Phil Donahue show, he was smart and funny. 

Condolences to his family.

• Like 25