The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 29th, 2024

Today is Individual Rights Day, International Day Against Nuclear Tests, and More Herbs, Less Salt Day

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Eggplant & Summer Squash Salad
Drink of the Day - Applepuckertini
Wine of the Day - Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Tauranga (Rotorua), New Zealand

Today in History:
1825 Portugal recognizes the Independence of Brazil
1966 Beatles Last Commercial Performance

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Ketchikan, Alaska  0630-1300

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Ketchikan, Alaska  1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Skagway, Alaska   0530-2100

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun

Honningsvag, Norway   1100-1800

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Juneau, Alaska   0800-1700

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Civitavecchia-Rome

Corfu, Greece   0800-1700

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas

Mandal (Kristiansand), Norway   0800-1700

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal

Saguenay, Quebec   0800-1800

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Sitka, Alaska   0800-1600

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm-Juneau, AK eta 8/30

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

At Sea destination Quebec City, Quebec eta 8/30

image.thumb.png.91ba7b4ada798b6b4f73f7dd6da8d22f.png

image.thumb.png.da3435b7f359e2565bcd87c566396c65.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 26

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

Another warm (81 degrees) and humid (95%) morning here in SC with temps in the mid to upper 90s this afternoon. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

IMG_0885.JPG

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Eva, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days.   Special prayers for Ann, Pat, Terri, Jim,  Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I agree with today’s quote but those of us who can need to be mindful of the less fortunate..

I visited Tauranga on the Crystal Symphony in 2018..

A great day for Brazil but a sad one for music.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is on hiatus until late September.

Fire house this afternoon and av practice for church this evening..

Roy

• Like 41
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for today's daily reports.

Sunny and 68°F here.

3 important days and quote.

Lovely wine of the day.

Prayers 🙏 for improving health for all on the care list.

Lovely to see so many Dailyites cruising or due to cruise.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 35

Good morning friends!  Yesterday was quite warm and muggy.  Today will be the same with a high of 93 and sunshine.  The current temperature is 71.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn for providing the content for today’s Fleet Report and Daily, and to Eva @superomaDixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the great food and beverage reporting. Today’s days of recognition are about individual rights, anti-nuclear testing, and using more herbs and less salt in our cooking.  I really agree with the Mark Twain quote!  I think I'll pass on the meal and drink but would love to try the Sauvignon Blanc.  It was an excellent day for Brazil in 1825 but a sad one for Beatles fans in 1966.  My twin and I were just talking about seeing the Beatles on Aug. 21, 1966 in St. Louis in our outdoor stadium, in the rain!  We had a better outcome when we saw the Dave Clark Five indoors and right up front.  She was the Dave Clark Five fan but it was very enjoyable for me too.  I probably couldn't hear anything for days!

Prayers again today for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military in that dangerous region.  Many prayers for our Care list individuals including Joy’s DS Bonnie, Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Nancy’s DB, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Vanessa, Terri and Jim.  My apologies if I’ve forgotten or missed someone.  Praying for improvement for you all!  Congrats to all our cruisers, those preparing to cruise, and everyone celebrating a special occasion in their lives.  Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for your work in keeping the lists updated!

The port today is Tauranga, Rotorua, New Zealand which is quite a lovely place to visit.  In fact, I’m booked in 2026 to see that special spot again.  The previous times we’ve featured Tauranga were Dec. 31, 2021 and Nov. 22, 2023.  I will post the links for your convenience and then post my photos from my previous cruises.

I am headed out to my hairdresser this morning.  I hope everyone here has a good day and that you stay safe and keep well!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Today the port is Tauranga (Rotorua), New Zealand.  It's a lovely port of call and I'm sure many of us have enjoyed it there. I've been there twice already and loved it.

On Dec. 22, 2013 we stopped in Tauranga on the Diamond Princess.  The following day we would disembark in Auckland, spend the night at the Hilton located on the pier next door and fly home on Christmas Eve.  The longest day of my life!  We started the morning about 5 am getting to the Auckland airport and ended up at home in Georgia about 10 pm the same day!  Needless to say we slept in on Christmas Day, and drove north to visit family a few days later.

On that 2013 stop DH and I merely walked around the town enjoying the warmth of the people and the climate.  On Dec. 4, 2017 we returned to Tauranga on the Sun Princess, again our final port before Auckland and returning home to the U.S.  This time we decided to hike around the base of Mount Maunganui, the extinct volcano at the end of the peninsula in town.  A view of it from the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPdmzHgNCn49jOozMdyrbZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620602

Here is the visitor information center right by the ship and Mount M. in the distance.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGEuM4a5qVDZhUbBa6vTEe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626358

Good information in case of an emergency evacuation due to tsunami.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4h88HVx1s5nKr6reUs7qH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620607

You start on this leisurely walk along the shore.  No hurrying here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-yUYV5HMFLJbxVqZFU6oy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626396

The beginning of the hike.  Here it was a paved pathway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsTI7yjRukImm0RUfUMvny?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626411

An interesting statue just off shore.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNEVJX5EVQZKq0GF07uD8W?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626577

As you went along this circular path around the mountain the path became rougher and you had to watch your step carefully. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7Woj0uKVc0pPnRN69DRH-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626599

The scenery was beautiful, though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGONcrJyVXrW2f2dsU7RpP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626612

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-NFkXe8u5ZEb-6VAJj7xY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620614

As we came around the mountain we got to see the beach everyone was enjoying.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPiycEa-brsnyCjJ6NIE70?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKk1ZCH7Uzaztn6dzjVM8qA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626661

Here is one of my favorite photos.  A rock formation that looked like a kiwi bird to me.  It even had what looked like a beak on it made with some type of vine or branch.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgpOJDjMzxyCFlIkBS4ApY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

At the end of the hike we walked past a campground at the base of the mountain.  Looks like a nice spot to enjoy the water and the mountain.  Some hikers walked up to the top but we weren't equipped for that.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL7biWH6Fmh7gzoJFfk1oER?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626664

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8WMFH7RtVcmBiX4E28j2-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtsJd3tb8qy6FLniNi_wTa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620631

On into the town.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgiiRuYX8QwJY6uyP8r-mh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

And from 2013 a few more photos of the town itself.  A nice park.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeQYCtAo04u_4PFZW_5zTg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711964

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-rilfjjng4KvA6qonXMEx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711970

Everybody needs a bench now and then.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFna6o9ltzNDh_SyHkjSbk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711977

A Wi-Fi hotspot for tourists and crew members, perhaps even locals too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-T783rJOvL0D-ArPd_sjX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711981

I'm ready to go back

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Today's sunrise is from a 2012 round trip transatlantic, New York to Southampton on QM2 and returning on Crystal Symphony from Dover.  August 29 was the first morning out of New York.

dawn29.jpg

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cloudy and mild here today, a high of 25°C (77°F) with a chance of rain.  I'll run out to the grocery store for a few things this morning, not sure what else is on the agenda.

Three good days to celebrate.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Seasick Sailor’s DS Bonnie needing more surgery next week

Lady Hudson’s DH’s and her friend passing away 8/25

Ger_77’s DH’s classmate passing away 8/25

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Haljo1935 with kidney stones

Hogladyrider’s SO with memory issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Back to London Norseh2o!

Cruzin Terri with no need for surgery currently for partial rotator cuff tear

Vict0riann’s DH Pat discharged from the hospital

Kazu accepted an offer on her house

NextOne doing well post hip surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Tbay (Volendam Aug 31 to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 59th Anniversary

3 days for Lindaler (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

3 days for Richwmn (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

3 days for Seasick Sailor (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary

3 days for USN59-79 (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 31) 9d Canada/New England, LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Dobiemom (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 27

Applepuckertini cocktail:

Ingredients:
3 oz. vodka
2 oz. apple schnapps or pucker
1 oz. apple juice or apple cider
1 oz. granny smith apple syrup

Directions:
Pour 3 ounces vodka, 2 ounces apple pucker, 1 ounce apple juice and 1 ounce granny smith apple syrup into a cocktail shaker.
Add a few cubes of ice.
Put the lid on the shaker and shake well.
Pour the mixture into martini glasses.
Makes 2.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 6.43.11 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Morning Dailyites. Just a quick visit. Heading to Daytona to get my yellow fever vaccine at my county health department. 

Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2022

I picked the 2022 vintage for today’s wine du jour because I found an amazing distributor who provided a wealth of info!  This wine is easy to find and priced to try & even use for cooking. Online prices start at $8.99.

Distributor notes

Introducing Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc, a wine that pays tribute to the pioneering spirit of New Zealand winemaking. This exceptional Sauvignon Blanc embodies the innovation and dedication of its creators, delivering a sensory voyage through the remarkable terroir of New Zealand's iconic Marlborough region.

Appearance:
In the glass, Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc displays a pale, straw-yellow color, reminiscent of the pure, unspoiled landscapes that surround the vineyards. Its radiant clarity reflects the pristine nature of this wine.

Aroma:
Prepare to be enchanted by the captivating aromas that greet your senses. Aromatic notes of freshly mown grass, ripened gooseberries, and vibrant tropical fruits, like passionfruit and guava, beckon you to explore further. These alluring scents evoke the natural beauty of Marlborough's breathtaking vineyard vistas.

Taste:
With each sip, Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc delivers an exhilarating flavor experience. Bright and vivacious, this wine bursts with the flavors of tropical fruits, citrus, and green apple, creating a refreshing and dynamic palate. Its lively acidity is perfectly balanced, offering a crisp and invigorating finish that lingers, reminiscent of the cool winds sweeping across the vineyards.

Terroir:
Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc is a testament to the exceptional terroir of the Marlborough region, where the vineyards benefit from a unique combination of cool evenings and abundant sunshine. This ideal climate imparts distinctive characteristics to the grapes, resulting in a wine that captures the essence of the land.

Pairing:
This Sauvignon Blanc is a versatile companion to an array of culinary delights. Whether you're enjoying seafood, fresh salads, or herb-infused dishes, its vibrant acidity and lively profile make it a perfect match for enhancing your dining experience.

Experience the spirit of innovation and the beauty of New Zealand's Marlborough region with Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc—a wine that encapsulates the essence of the land, the winemaking legacy, and the pursuit of excellence in every sip. Share a bottle with friends or savor it on your own, and let the flavors transport you to the heart of New Zealand's vineyard heritage.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

We are supposed to be having a cool front coming in. Still humid out this early in the morning. 

After a busy day yesterday, I get a bit of a break. Just have two clients and a class. Fancy is very happy that I am working fully at home now. She likes to come into my office and sleep next to me as I work. Tomorrow, I have scheduled a massage. 41 days until my cruise. I will be doing a live. The ship is the NCL Sky. As I write this, I am on YouTube watching the Volendam come into Saguenay, Quebec. Looks like a beautiful sunny day there. YouTube has the Saguenay and Quebec City port cams. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Still Waiting for Friday - Happy Thursday

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi and Rich.  I try to use more spices and less salt.  Individual Rights and halting nuclear testing should be celebrated.  A good quote as usual by Twain.  We will also be in Tauranga in March 2026 on GANZ.  Thanks for the lovely photos Sandi!  I'll pass on the meal and cocktail but yes on the SB.  Thanks for researching these for us each day! 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Thanks for including my DB today.  He called me yesterday and had no idea I called him on Monday.  His surgeon's office never called with his appointment date and gave it to someone else.  He is on painkillers.  What a clown show 😢.  Prayers for Annie and Chuck, Tana and Terry, Jim and Terri,  Sandi's DB, Bonnie, Ann, Melissa and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

I think we will try to fish today.  We woke to a sunrise and the wind will be out of the SE.  We are running out of fishing days, the boat gets wrapped a week from tomorrow.   Have a lovely day!  Nancy

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for our daily updates. It’s a pleasant morning here.  Today will be cooler than yesterday with a high around 71F.  You can tell that Fall is around the corner, a few trees are beginning to show color.

Three good days to recognize, I’ll try and use more herbs and less salt.

A good piece of advice for us from Mark Twain.

I will pass on the meal and drink suggestions today.  Those who like eggplant may have my serving.

I haven’t been to the port.  It sure does look nice.

Prayers for those on our prayer list and for those in need of them.  Happy ________ to those of you celebrating special occasions today!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Sandi, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Yesterday DSIL came home to be evaluated by the physical therapist. Although we thought we had prepared the house fairly well, little things like throw rugs needing to be removed temporarily from the hardwood floors were missed. The exact opposite of what we needed to do for the dogs! Today we need to pickup a few items from the medical supply store. Her discharge from the rehab center is Saturday. She was so happy to be at home even though it was for just an hour.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Most days here are More Herbs, Less Salt day.

The meal suggestion might be OK, and the components are in season, but I think I would rather substitute zucchini and make ratatouille. No, no, NO on the pseudotini. For a Sauvignon Blanc, let's consider the Three Brothers Stoney Lonesome SB 2023, $19, since the description mentions kiwi. "Fresh aromatics of grapefruit, tea tree, and lemon grass. Along with a palate of ripe fruit flavors of kiwi, strawberry and bright citrus clementine. Refreshing and engaging of all the senses."

It's going to be no warmer than 78° today, with a chance of rain later. Through the middle of the day, when I could be doing yard work, I'm to be in a meeting with our U.S. Representative's field director where my role is to present a legislative proposal that the Representative may well oppose.

raincomplaint.thumb.gif.45cff6ec01ed261e186acc162cb979fe.gif

• Like 30
  • Haha 5

Good morning. It is dark and cloudy with temperatures expected to be lower later today than for the past few days.

I salute all the days and agree with the quote except as  @rafinmdRoy said,” Those who can need to be mindful of the less fortunate. “
Yesterday I made all the requested foods and we enjoyed one for lunch, one for dinner. Tana eats small amounts when she is able and I am happy to see it. No decision so far on the choices for today.

@Cruzin Terri, I was happy to read that your shoulder will not require surgery and hope the PT assists your recovery.

@Haljo1935, Elizabeth, your day yesterday sounded very hard and I hope things improve for you today. I hope the lap kitty improves as well.

School doesn’t start until after Labor Day here but in New Hampshire most districts have started either this week or even the week before.It also started in Massachusetts and I leave you with a picture of Camilla off to pre school.It is a Portuguese school which delights the other grandparents. I can’t get over how grown up she looks.

IMG_5425.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 10

Jack @Heartgrove good luck to your DSIL when she is released and begins her PT.  Also nice to hear no surgery and only PT for Terri @Cruzin Terri.  My twin says she begins PT Sept. 9 after having her shoulder replacement surgery on Aug. 16.  She is doing well she says.

Wishing for a good appetite today for Tana.  Terry @smitty34877 I too can't believe how big and grown up Miss Camilla is.  That is a darling uniform they have for her Portuguese pre school.🥰

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  These Reports and Dailys brighten my day!!

Individual Rights, no more Nuclear Tests, More Herbs ---  but I don't think I can do to the less salt...  I'm a bit of a salt-fiend!!

And Thank you Mark Twain!!

I love eggplant and squash...  I'm not a pucker-er when it comes to food, but this sounds yummy...  Sauvignon Blanc is good...  And I've not been south of the equator, yet...

Happy Today!!!

• Like 32

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Applepuckertini cocktail:

Ingredients:
3 oz. vodka
2 oz. apple schnapps or pucker
1 oz. apple juice or apple cider
1 oz. granny smith apple syrup

Directions:
Pour 3 ounces vodka, 2 ounces apple pucker, 1 ounce apple juice and 1 ounce granny smith apple syrup into a cocktail shaker.
Add a few cubes of ice.
Put the lid on the shaker and shake well.
Pour the mixture into martini glasses.
Makes 2.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 6.43.11 AM.png

I can only imagine what comments Redneck Bob will have..

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today the port is Tauranga (Rotorua), New Zealand.  It's a lovely port of call and I'm sure many of us have enjoyed it there. I've been there twice already and loved it.

On Dec. 22, 2013 we stopped in Tauranga on the Diamond Princess.  The following day we would disembark in Auckland, spend the night at the Hilton located on the pier next door and fly home on Christmas Eve.  The longest day of my life!  We started the morning about 5 am getting to the Auckland airport and ended up at home in Georgia about 10 pm the same day!  Needless to say we slept in on Christmas Day, and drove north to visit family a few days later.

On that 2013 stop DH and I merely walked around the town enjoying the warmth of the people and the climate.  On Dec. 4, 2017 we returned to Tauranga on the Sun Princess, again our final port before Auckland and returning home to the U.S.  This time we decided to hike around the base of Mount Maunganui, the extinct volcano at the end of the peninsula in town.  A view of it from the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPdmzHgNCn49jOozMdyrbZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620602

Here is the visitor information center right by the ship and Mount M. in the distance.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGEuM4a5qVDZhUbBa6vTEe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626358

Good information in case of an emergency evacuation due to tsunami.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4h88HVx1s5nKr6reUs7qH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620607

You start on this leisurely walk along the shore.  No hurrying here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-yUYV5HMFLJbxVqZFU6oy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626396

The beginning of the hike.  Here it was a paved pathway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsTI7yjRukImm0RUfUMvny?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626411

An interesting statue just off shore.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNEVJX5EVQZKq0GF07uD8W?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626577

As you went along this circular path around the mountain the path became rougher and you had to watch your step carefully. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7Woj0uKVc0pPnRN69DRH-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626599

The scenery was beautiful, though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGONcrJyVXrW2f2dsU7RpP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626612

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-NFkXe8u5ZEb-6VAJj7xY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620614

As we came around the mountain we got to see the beach everyone was enjoying.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPiycEa-brsnyCjJ6NIE70?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKk1ZCH7Uzaztn6dzjVM8qA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626661

Here is one of my favorite photos.  A rock formation that looked like a kiwi bird to me.  It even had what looked like a beak on it made with some type of vine or branch.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgpOJDjMzxyCFlIkBS4ApY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

At the end of the hike we walked past a campground at the base of the mountain.  Looks like a nice spot to enjoy the water and the mountain.  Some hikers walked up to the top but we weren't equipped for that.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL7biWH6Fmh7gzoJFfk1oER?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626664

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8WMFH7RtVcmBiX4E28j2-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtsJd3tb8qy6FLniNi_wTa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620631

On into the town.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgiiRuYX8QwJY6uyP8r-mh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

And from 2013 a few more photos of the town itself.  A nice park.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeQYCtAo04u_4PFZW_5zTg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711964

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-rilfjjng4KvA6qonXMEx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711970

Everybody needs a bench now and then.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFna6o9ltzNDh_SyHkjSbk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711977

A Wi-Fi hotspot for tourists and crew members, perhaps even locals too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-T783rJOvL0D-ArPd_sjX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711981

I'm ready to go back

Interesting photos Sandi.

• Like 14