The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 30th, 2024

Every year on August 30th, the world observes the International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances. This day highlights the grave injustices faced by countless individuals and their families around the world and calls for action to prevent such atrocities in the future. Established by the UN General Assembly in 2010, the day aims to draw attention to the fate of individuals who have been forcibly disappeared, often by state officials or with state complicity. 

Keep reading to learn about actions you can take today to directly help disappeared individuals, their families, and communities. 

What are Enforced Disappearances?

Enforced disappearancesopens in a new tab occur when individuals are secretly abducted or imprisoned by state officials or others acting with state authorization or support. These individuals are often held in secret, without any legal process, and their fate and whereabouts remain unknown, placing them outside the protection of the law. This practice violates many human rights that are enshrined in international law, including the right to liberty and security of person, the right to a fair trial, and the right to family life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 24

We have been to Almeria on the Prinsendam in 2005. In fact, that is the cruise on which my DH and I met.......

However, we both went to the Alhambra so the pix of Almeria are few and far between, but here goes.

This was evidently taken from the bus.......that's if except for pix of the Alhambra.

AlmeriaSpain002.JPG.9064360e7a7c3d810c6e5e4d935269df.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Two important days and one other. I'm having a hard time imagining the salad so I'll reserve judgment. To my mind, the classic Old Fashioned is made with brandy, and I'd consider cognac an unnecessary upgrade. In the Midwest it is easy enough to get a brandy old fashioned although the bartender may ask if you want cheese with it (i.e., that you must be from Wisconsin). On a ship, however, you need to say very clearly "an old fashioned made with brandy," or you may get a whiskey old fashioned plus a brandy chaser.

Syrah grows well here but more like a Syrah from the Rhone valley than a Shiraz from Australia; I think that one from Walla Walla would be more in the Australian style. Nevertheless, I'll nominate the 2019 Glacier Ridge Syrah from Red Newt Cellars, $29.95. "With intense Vietnamese peppercorn aromatics, bright red cherry flavors, and a brooding minerality underneath, this Syrah is a pure expression of what can be achieved with one of our favorite grapes in a cool climate."

The Justice appointed in 1967 was Thurgood Marshall, for whom BWI Airport is now named. On behalf of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, he argued 32 civil-rights cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, winning 29 of them including Brown v. Board of Education. He subsequently served on the Federal appellate bench and then as Solicitor General.

The meeting with the U.S. Representative's field director went well, almost disturbingly well. We were there to argue for two proposed bills in Congress that have bipartisan support but about which most Representatives don't yet know much. He actually introduced one of our talking points himself; apparently they have been hearing about the same issue from farmers in the district. I had the role of introducing a topic he was less aware of but he was responsive to it.

moochingathome.thumb.gif.6978b84c3717867ab0e759bf4e8c343c.gif

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  Its sunny , the computer is not showing the temperature right now, but yesterday I had to run to the pharmacy at Krogers and pick up a tv dinner, as I was working late, and had  nothing planned for dinner.  When I got back on the road, and got to Memorial Drive I looked at what the car said the outside temperature was.  100, then up to 101 and then up to 102.  I think if the turn light had not gone green, sitting on the road it may have gone to 103.  We scurried in the house and back into the air conditioning as quickly as possible.

The weatherman says that our temps will be in the low 80s after the holiday weekend.

I had the craziest day at work yesterday.  I had been working with a woman in CA to try and get her an ADA seat in the same box as her friend.  But with working with my boss, we learned that the box her friend had -had no available seats.  The woman started yelling at me, how can that be, my friend brings me all the time, and the seat is always empty!  Turns out her friend owns all the seats in the box, and is free to bring whoever she wants with her. But perhaps she didnt remember that she owned the whole box.  Any way my customer said she was going to call her friend, to see if the woman owned all 4 seats (and didnt remember) and I still have a seat on hold for her.  She said she had to use the bathroom, she would call her friend from there, and I told her I would call back in 10 minutes.  I called back, no answer, left a message, tried again, no answer.  15 minutes went by, no answer.  And because CTG is holding a seat for her, I have to complete the sale, or release the seat.  So my boss told me I had to work today to finalize or close the account.  So much for 4 days off. But that will be later in the day.

I told DH I would take him to First Watch for breakfast, and then we are going to head to the Michael C Carlos museum, and visit the mummies.  Last time we merely wandered the first floor, today, we will wander the second floor.

th?id=OIP.wzlYMzyHnMon2YzNrfte6wHaEB&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

I do have to admit that the last two days, it has been nice not to have to walk the dog. It would have been nice to have had the money she owes me for M-W, but she apparently has forgotten. Again.  And this morning, she is gone again. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9b582ee2ee8d9e382d8ae1754dc9ad94.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Slow start this morning. Lots of texts from family group- DGD in Idaho having a baby, hopefully today! Early but doctors have reasons to do it now 🤞🙏

I got us unpacked yesterday and most of the laundry done, not finished. Got mail. Have errands and a class today. Gotta get it together here!  And maybe a plan to see local grandkids this weekend. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope! 

Congrats Denise!! Huge step!  I hope you can rest your mind this weekend.  

It’s great to be home and still well! May we all stay safe and well!   Maureen 

• Like 29

Good morning.  Prayers for those in need and thanks to all contributors on this thread.

Last day on Vision of the Seas.  It has been a good trip but today is rainy and cloudy as we make our way to Baltimore.  DS and I always have a great trip as we laugh a lot.  Next trip is 10/19 with DH.  He will be glad to get away.

Best wishes for a safe and healthy Labor Day weekend.  Katherine

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I know what Enforced Disappearances are, and pray for all the victims of such crimes.  I'd love to see a whale shark from a distance, and the only beach we love is the beach on Half Moon Cay.   Good quote.

Well according to the weather apps on my phone, it's anywhere from 8 to 11 (46 - 51), I'm not sure how that happens, but it's an overcast and somewhat cool morning.  I went to turn on the fountain and it felt cool - something DH and I noticed yesterday and the day before was that there are very few birds in the area now.  It seems most of them have already taken off for warmer climes.  Sigh.

Today was supposed to be the day we get our new garage door opener installed, but the fellow called yesterday to say he was backed up and may not be able to make it after all.  It's getting a little frustrating, as we haven't been able to utilize our garage door for more than 3 weeks.  He said he'd call us mid morning to let us know of his progress and if he can't make it, we'll be waiting until Tuesday because of the long weekend.  Another sigh.  However, it's not life threatening or earth shattering, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

The past couple of mornings DH has awakened with a stiff neck and this morning it's really uncomfortable.  I think I'm going to make an appointment for a massage for him and hopefully that'll fix him up.  I know his chiropractor's office also has RMT's, so I'm hoping we can get in to see one of them.

I'm going to pass on the drink, although DH enjoys cognac; would love to try the wine, but again would prefer @kochleffel's price point.  The salad sounds interesting, but I honestly haven't seen many peaches in the stores around here this summer.  I know the BC crop was a bust, and any that have been brought in weren't great.  It's Friday night pizza night, so later this afternoon I'll run out and get a couple of slices from a pizza place just a few blocks away for us to enjoy on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs one and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers to all with celebrations.  And please have a safe and happy Labour Day Weekend!

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

It's warming up here again, going to the high 70's today and into the 80's this weekend.  

A good collection of days, I agree with the quote but will pass on the wine and drink.  I'd like the last recipe and have not been to Almeria.  Looking at the map, we've sailed past it when going to Cartagena and Malaga.  

Looks like a good day to do the pressure washing.  🤞  I can garden, visit with neighbors and watch out for my plants as DH does that.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers I wholeheartedly agree with you about backstitching -- very slow going!  The only plus is how it makes everything "pop out".  My latest counted cross stitch project is still sitting in the bag after unpacking from the GANZ -- I'll pick it back up again this fall when I can't garden.  Could you mail it to him before Christmas?  

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser Congratulations on the bookings!  Wish we could do the Hawaii cruise too, sounds like a fun group.  Gotta save $$ for others already booked though 😞 

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisers I wholeheartedly agree with you about backstitching -- very slow going!  The only plus is how it makes everything "pop out".  My latest counted cross stitch project is still sitting in the bag after unpacking from the GANZ -- I'll pick it back up again this fall when I can't garden.  Could you mail it to him before Christmas?  

Carolyn, I am leery of mailing such an important piece of work, taking all year to make.  The Post Office does not have a perfect record of delivering things between our home and Ohio and vice versa.  DD mailed her Dad his birthday card 19 days before his birthday.  It has now been 36 days and it still hasn't arrived.  She included a check for something else and is rather anxious about it. 

We went to Kroger and put away all the groceries; now I've finished catching up on the Daily and need to get back to work on the stocking.  Thanks for your comments, and I agree the backstitching is very important and brings out all the details.  Good luck getting back into your project after gardening season.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Friday!

@Denise T Congrats on getting your dissertation submitted. 

Yesterday was fairly busy. I made double chocolate walnut cookies and they turned out quite well. Today I'll do up the dough for gingersnaps and a sour cream walnut cookie. I ran to town to Costco and it wasn't that busy at all so that was nice. In the afternoon I got bills paid and I talked to HAL about doing DD DH's burial at sea for some of his ashes. It will be the last sea day (Friday the 13th) somewhere between 6 AM and 3 PM> I'm hoping it's not at 6 AM! I also called the funeral home and confirmed the biodegradable urn. They didn't have it in stock but it will be here by Wednesday. I'll take DD DH's urn down and they'll transfer some of the ashes to the biodegradable one. Since DD DH loved cruising and loved going to Alaska (it was a powerful motivator for him for PT, etc) it seemed fitting to do this. My son came by and did a quick visit as well. 

Today I'll celebrate beaches but no to the drink and salad but I like the quote. I have banking to do, a water class at the pool, corn-on-the-cob to get (I'm pigging out on it!) and a few groceries at Fred Meyer. 

Have a lovely day and a safe long weekend

Karen.

• Like 31

Yay, we've been to Almeria!  I will post Pat's journal entry (he used to do a diary for each cruise, but hasn't done it for a few years - it was such a good way to remember the ports, and then read along with looking at pictures).  We were on the Maasdam, on our 42-day Atlantic Adventurer - it was a wonderful itinerary.

Screenshot2014-09-08at10_23_19PM.jpeg.e25c1ba118e7d094ea4687ddad8b7092.jpeg

"The ship arrived in Almeria, Spain at 8.00 am. As we did not have a fixed plan for today we got up about 8.00 am and had a leisurely breakfast in the Lido.  The main attraction of Almeria is La Alcazaba (citadel), the largest fort built by the Arabs. We had an excellent view of the citadel from our verandah and planned to visit it. However, one had to climb over 120 steps to get to it and Ann, especially, was not up to it as she had a tiring day yesterday in the Medina in Tangiers. We strolled into town and reached the cathedral at 10.30 am when the bells started ringing. We were hoping to attend 10.30 am mass but mass was ending then in one of the side chapels. The next mass was at 11.30 am so we walked to the Plaza de la Constitution where we had a coffee (and went on to free Internet), and where we saw numerous parrots flying into and around the palm trees. We went back to the cathedral at 11.30 am and attended high mass. There wasa large choir visiting from Granada singing at the mass. They were very good, and the priest spoke clearly. We then strolled to San Juan Church which used to be a mosque. It was closed at the time we got there. This being Sunday most stores were closed so we returned to the ship about 2.00 pm, and stayed. We went to the Sip and Savor at 5.00 pm then showered before our dinner reservation in the Pinnacle Grill. There was only one other couple in the Grill so we had all the waiters' attention. We took along the bottle of white wine that we had bought in Lanzarote and let two wine stewards and the Cellar Master have a taste. Dining is always a good experience there. We could happily take all our meals there. After dinner we went up to the Crow's Nest for a glass of Prosecco before retiring. "

I remember the amazing altarpiece in the church, and the choir !  And in those days I would hunt for a manhole cover with the city name - Almeria's were beautiful!

P1070743.thumb.JPG.dc35c5a14a55c56ff175fe2f9d9f29ef.JPG

V810_GW6-Almeria-H_Kv052.thumb.jpg.73a2205ad0bc3ff26c99e65781f9daa2.jpg

P1070751.thumb.JPG.deaa2e0aad8107a162cbec1830b22b8a.JPG

P1070727.thumb.JPG.47bb845499ad19ab4a3635991b1ef565.JPG

P1070688.thumb.JPG.56758d8b332d8bf6ae4938aaee19d659.JPG

The streets were empty.

P1070693.thumb.JPG.aa8b11a86109f14b4e4569aaec7cbcfe.JPG

P1070686.thumb.JPG.8db0582ac375d3126011b202ceaf8724.JPG

P1070694.thumb.JPG.9c9d9095462ae2df887ae7680b392e63.JPG

We had some terrible news yesterday - our lovely cleaning lady, Leanne, who has only been visiting us for a few months, but whom we love dearly, told us that she has been diagnosed with Stage 3 oesophageal cancer.  They are going to give her a feeding tube to try to re-gain some of the 30 pounds she has lost over the past few months and then they may be able to treat her with chemo and radiation to shrink the tumours, and then possibly do surgery.  She is a single mother with two sons, the younger is about to start high school.  We feel so sorry for her,  Please say a prayer for her!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 21

Hi friends! Just when I think life is calming down & going well, I got a text this morning from DSIL that she's been admitted to her local ER. She's lost 22 pounds since early July, has an elevated heart rate & is severely dehydrated. The doctor thought she had an ulcer & had her scheduled for a CT scan on Sept. 10, but I expect they've decided they need to move faster. Sadly, she's been a life-long smoker, so her health wasn't the best. Prayers, please, that they can figure out what's going on.

Thank you!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 15

Because I was doing a Google search about the latest Covid variant and recommended vaccines, I stumbled upon several local pharmacies that have it now! So I have an appointment to get mine and it's at Walgreens just down the road (won't have to drive the 30-40 minutes to Burlington). 🙂  I've set it up for 2 weeks before we travel, and after any other appointments I have.  

• Like 21

44 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Yay, we've been to Almeria!  I will post Pat's journal entry (he used to do a diary for each cruise, but hasn't done it for a few years - it was such a good way to remember the ports, and then read along with looking at pictures).  We were on the Maasdam, on our 42-day Atlantic Adventurer - it was a wonderful itinerary.

"The ship arrived in Almeria, Spain at 8.00 am. As we did not have a fixed plan for today we got up about 8.00 am and had a leisurely breakfast in the Lido.  The main attraction of Almeria is La Alcazaba (citadel), the largest fort built by the Arabs. We had an excellent view of the citadel from our verandah and planned to visit it. However, one had to climb over 120 steps to get to it and Ann, especially, was not up to it as she had a tiring day yesterday in the Medina in Tangiers. We strolled into town and reached the cathedral at 10.30 am when the bells started ringing. We were hoping to attend 10.30 am mass but mass was ending then in one of the side chapels. The next mass was at 11.30 am so we walked to the Plaza de la Constitution where we had a coffee (and went on to free Internet), and where we saw numerous parrots flying into and around the palm trees. We went back to the cathedral at 11.30 am and attended high mass. There wasa large choir visiting from Granada singing at the mass. They were very good, and the priest spoke clearly. We then strolled to San Juan Church which used to be a mosque. It was closed at the time we got there. This being Sunday most stores were closed so we returned to the ship about 2.00 pm, and stayed. We went to the Sip and Savor at 5.00 pm then showered before our dinner reservation in the Pinnacle Grill. There was only one other couple in the Grill so we had all the waiters' attention. We took along the bottle of white wine that we had bought in Lanzarote and let two wine stewards and the Cellar Master have a taste. Dining is always a good experience there. We could happily take all our meals there. After dinner we went up to the Crow's Nest for a glass of Prosecco before retiring. "

I remember the amazing altarpiece in the church, and the choir !  And in those days I would hunt for a manhole cover with the city name - Almeria's were beautiful!

The streets were empty.

We had some terrible news yesterday - our lovely cleaning lady, Leanne, who has only been visiting us for a few months, but whom we love dearly, told us that she has been diagnosed with Stage 3 oesophageal cancer.  They are going to give her a feeding tube to try to re-gain some of the 30 pounds she has lost over the past few months and then they may be able to treat her with chemo and radiation to shrink the tumours, and then possibly do surgery.  She is a single mother with two sons, the younger is about to start high school.  We feel so sorry for her,  Please say a prayer for her!  

Beautiful photos of Almeria, and that church is gorgeous inside!  Thanks for Pat's recollections of that day from his journal.  But what a sad story of your cleaning lady's recent diagnosis.  Prayers for her and her sons, and I hope the treatment is successful for her. 🙏

27 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hi friends! Just when I think life is calming down & going well, I got a text this morning from DSIL that she's been admitted to her local ER. She's lost 22 pounds since early July, has an elevated heart rate & is severely dehydrated. The doctor thought she had an ulcer & had her scheduled for a CT scan on Sept. 10, but I expect they've decided they need to move faster. Sadly, she's been a life-long smoker, so her health wasn't the best. Prayers, please, that they can figure out what's going on.

Thank you!

Oh my, more bad news!  Edi, I hope your DSIL gets some answers in the ER.  It does sound rather urgent.  Prayers for her, too!🙏

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Fleet Report today Sandi @StLouisCruisers and thank you to all contributors of the Daily News . 

We have been to Almeria a few years ago while on the Eurodam and climbed up the Alcazaba on our own and I should have some pictures next time after I find out how to get to my 40.000 pictures which are on a stick through this new computer...........so much to learn for this young man !  Thank you for your photos Ann .

Tony 😉

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

The streets were empty.

I'm sorry to hear your news about Leanne your cleaning lady.

Prayers 🙏 offered to her for her good health.

• Like 12