CC Points When Moving Up - Unfair?

gordylad

If you go to the effort of wanting to move up and pay the extra surely Celebrity should consider changing the policy to reflect CC points? I mean going from a standard balcony to concierge you remain on getting the points for the standard balcony.

• Haha 3

If you want the points then pay the full price.   You are getting the room at a discount.   It  is the same as if you got a free upgrade.   You don’t get the extra points.    

When you move up to a suite you don’t get the perks that come with it, you only get the amenities.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, gordylad said:

If you go to the effort of wanting to move up and pay the extra surely Celebrity should consider changing the policy to reflect CC points? I mean going from a standard balcony to concierge you remain on getting the points for the standard balcony.

I’m heir game, their rules

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a degree of unfairness about it. 

Their argument is that it is a discounted upgrade, so they don't need to include points as part of the discount upgrade you are also getting. Except some of the upgrade options, even at base upgrade price, are not discounted at all and cost more than you buying outright. Pay more, get less!

But like many things onboard, they are not priced at fair value. Just to maximise the return for the cruise line. So when you make a bid, you just have to keep in mind you're not getting the full package and pay what it's worth to you. However, typically that means someone else will overpay and get it.

• Like 3

If the Move Up price is more than paying to upgrade why wouldn’t one just pay to upgrade and get the beverage package, wi-fi, points and select the Suite?
We have done that recently when the high end of the bid range was more than than the cost to upgrade.

Edited by jelayne
Typo
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, gordylad said:

Oh, I thought one puts in a bid for what Celebrity is offering as part of the program. If they changed the policy then maybe the bidding would become more competitive and the overall winning bids would be higher. IDK, I never did a move up and I am all for a deal but it can get boring to listen to what a great deal someone received... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think it's unfair. You get what you booked in terms of perks and points. If you wanted the Move Up room, why not book it in the first place? If you DO bid on an upgrade, I'll bet it's not much higher than the minimum price and you keep the perks and points originally chosen.

YOU chose the level you were willing to pay when you booked. It's not up to the cruise line to give you more. They're not forcing you to upgrade.

Personally, I have never nor will ever bid on an upgrade. I choose what I want and I pay for it (at the best rate and TA offers I can get). Then I stop looking for Move Up offer in the same way I stop looking at pricing to see if I could save $50 two weeks before we sail!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"If you wanted the Move Up room, why not book it in the first place"....that would defeat the purpose of the move up incentive. I personally haven't tried for move up but I don't see the issue of Celebrity awarding CC points for the new room that you get.

Maybe its just me but I don't see what a big deal it is to reward someone who has won the move up bid.

There are a few situations where the MoveUp is to a cabin with the same points but more perks and perhaps even size, and making a low-mid bid on the off chance it comes through can make sense.  Concierge to Aqua (5 pts), or CS to RS (12 pts), for example, if points are the primary issue.

If points aren't the prime issue, a lowball bid from RS to PS or above could net a lot of additional space with no 'missing' perks at all, just not the additional 6+ pts.

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gordylad said:

"If you wanted the Move Up room, why not book it in the first place"....that would defeat the purpose of the move up incentive. I personally haven't tried for move up but I don't see the issue of Celebrity awarding CC points for the new room that you get.

Maybe its just me but I don't see what a big deal it is to reward someone who has won the move up bid.

The reward is winning the bid you placed to get a better cabin, often for less than others paid.  If you don’t like the T & C you don’t have to bid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just do not like being “locked-in” pending for a long time, but of course, it is just part of the game!  Usually, I just book the cabin/suite that I want, but sometimes life happens, so you need to punt.  It is not the end of the world, especially if you are happy with the cabin you book.

I wish Celebrity would give the SV another look at the point value, as it can be quite a bit higher in price than the next category up; pay more for less points, but balcony over IV.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gordylad said:

They don't even give you the premium drink package or wifi when you move up to a suite. 

6 hours ago, canderson said:

There are a few situations where the MoveUp is to a cabin with the same points but more perks and perhaps even size, and making a low-mid bid on the off chance it comes through can make sense.  Concierge to Aqua (5 pts), or CS to RS (12 pts), for example, if points are the primary issue.

If points aren't the prime issue, a lowball bid from RS to PS or above could net a lot of additional space with no 'missing' perks at all, just not the additional 6+ pts.

This makes sense especially Concierge to Aqua since you get Blu and the Spa. I considered it but room location is more important to me than Blu and the Spa. Even booking Aqua directly you are in a bad location.

6 hours ago, gordylad said:

Because you are not paying the “full” price for the cabin you are bidding on (assuming your bid wins of course). 

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Except some of the upgrade options, even at base upgrade price, are not discounted at all and cost more than you buying outright. Pay more, get less!

Then don't do a Move Up.  

I don't understand why people who are well aware of the limits of a program choose to complain and yet still participate.  If you do not like it don't do it.  Seems simple enough to me. 

Try looking at it from the point of view of someone who booked a high class of room from the beginning because they would get the points and other things that come with the high class of booking.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's the way pretty much all rewards/loyalty programs work. United, for instance, doesn't offer extra miles or extra Premier Qualifying Points for paid upgrades. You get the points for what you originally paid for.

22 hours ago, miched said:

If you want the points then pay the full price.   You are getting the room at a discount.   It  is the same as if you got a free upgrade.   You don’t get the extra points.    

When you move up to a suite you don’t get the perks that come with it, you only get the amenities.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That's like saying if you move from economy to business class on a flight, you get the seat, but not the food. "Happy cruising"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buchhalm said:

That's like saying if you move from economy to business class on a flight, you get the seat, but not the food. "Happy cruising"

On Qantas anyway if you book economy and then get upgraded to business either for free or for points or cash you don't get the extra status credits or points. You just get what you booked originally.  So exactly the same scenario as with Celebrity. 

• Like 3

On 9/15/2024 at 7:01 AM, gordylad said:

Did you check the price of Concierge when you first booked? I have found on all of the cruise lines I sail that it would have been less money to book the higher category from the start than to bid the lowest bid later as the prices seem to go up by the time the move up bid is offered. There was only a $30 difference between Concierge and a Prime Veranda that I was going to book so I just paid the extra $60. I like the location and the idea of the embarkation day lunch. The points weren't even a thought since we jump from cruise line to cruise line and add AI for drinks and wifi anyway.  The perks don't compel me to stay loyal. They are offering 1/2 off your bid on the sailing I am going on at the end of the month. I am so tempted to bid the lowest $110 bid for Aqua class but I don't want to risk where the room will be. This is what prevents me from booking Aqua to begin with.

I think the logic behind it, as others have referenced, is that since MoveUp is based on bids and not fixed pricing, the resulting MoveUp stateroom fare paid is variable and may reflect a discounted amount.  Therefore you are retaining only those points included when you paid the full fare of your original stateroom, and not any additional that would be offered originally with full fare purchases of the awarded stateroom.  You are simply moving up to the new category with your original points and not obtaining the new points as they would not be covered in the bid price.

Another way to look at it is if all of the benefits and points were included with what might be a reduced fare bid, then people may hesitate to purchase higher full fare categories in the first place hoping to get the same for less through MoveUp.  Might be rather unfair to those who paid full fare originally to have others enjoy all the same at a reduced bid based fare.  Just offer all categories on bid..... 

But either way, as others have mentioned, that is the rules of the game and if that is not acceptable than you have the option not to play.  Or if that matters enough, purchase the desired stateroom category initially at its' full fare and get the full benefits.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 6:01 AM, gordylad said:

I does seem unfair, but it makes perfect sense to me.  

On one cruise there was a price drop so we called in to move up to a balcony from ov, at no cost 

only got points for a ov cabin 

was it fair if people did a 3 day cruise got the same points as people who did a 7 night cruise ?

What I think is unfair if you do a 3 night cruise you get a bag of laundry and 90 mins of internet, which is the same as if you do a 15 night cruise  now that is unfair 😉

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

On one cruise there was a price drop so we called in to move up to a balcony from ov, at no cost 

was it fair if people did a 3 day cruise got the same points as people who did a 7 night cruise ?

What I think is unfair if you do a 3 night cruise you get a bag of laundry and 90 mins of internet, which is the same as if you do a 15 night cruise  now that is unfair 😉

But those extra nights you get closer to E+ and 2 bags of laundry and 240 mins internet each😉

17 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Just need some clarity.  When you called to adjust to the balcony stateroom, based on the price drop was the balcony category now priced the same as your original OV?  If so, did they not reissue your booking as the balcony now at that adjusted category fare, which is what you ultimately paid?  If that was the case you should have received whatever points that new category provided.  

Or are you saying that the price drop was only for the OV and instead of reducing your OV fare they moved you to the balcony which was still at a higher fare, but did so at the original OV fare?  If so, then I believe the points awarded based on the OV would be correct.

Edited by leaveitallbehind