The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 4th, 2024

The pancakes would be OK and I wouldn't require that they be gluten-free, but I would want them to be lactose-free. Dinner tonight will be vegan sausage with whatever veg I can come up with, but no pancakes. The drink would be OK. For a Chardonnay we have plenty of choices even though it's not one of the top varieties here. Let's have the Colloca Vineyards 2021, from a year that was exceptionally warm, $24.95. "A warm summer into early Autumn allowed the beautiful Chardonnay that we sourced from Miles Vineyards to fully ripen. We crushed and pressed the fruit and fermented in new and aged French oak barrels using traditional techniques."

Today is the second day of Rosh Hashanah. I was the Torah reader this morning in the synagogue. I kept myself from shouting at the rabbi when he described a certain English passage in the prayer book as "offensive." Someone else took him to task about it, more politely than I could have, suggesting reading it in a different context.

I have questions for which there are no right answers. First: I had NCL arrange my flight to Miami for the Panama Canal cruise, and they've booked it on JetBlue, where I would have to pay $40 to check a bag (higher because it's the last day of the Thanksgiving peak period). Should I try to do it with only carry-on baggage, or pay the $40? My first two cruises were with a bag that could have been carried, although I actually checked it for all the flights, but this is a longer cruise and with contrasting weather there and here.

Second: the flight is from Rochester, 116 miles away, at 6:04 a.m. (It could have been worse, as the first flight that connects leaves at 5:14). Would you stay near the airport the night before, or--if the weather forecast is OK--just drive from here at 2:00 a.m.?

onlyrainingcats.jpg.0701783c8d2114bf0274dda415dc888c.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Should I try to do it with only carry-on baggage

My DH and I only travel with a carry-on and a backpack.  The only time we have checked luggage was when we departed from Buenos Aires for our 28 day cruise anround Antarctica. (We checked a duffel of winter gear.) I do not know the price of laundry on NCL but hopefully doing a small amount would be less than $40. One key to carrying on is to limit shoes. I roll our garments.  I completely lost a bag once (never found) and avoid checking luggage.  

I’d stay in an airport hotel the night before your cruise.

I enjoy your contributions to the Daily.  Shanah tovah!

BTW- from one of your previous posts- As a former English teacher, I told my students that if the assignment was to write 750 words that was all I was reading.  My degree was in Business Writing.  Many writers need a good editor. Quality, not quantity.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Groceries were bought this morning, then furnaces checked out with no problems noted.  We're still on AC here, no heat needed yet so far.  Received texts from Ashley and Chris.  Today they were in Mykonos, Greece so here's a Greece photo (not from Gythion).  They're having the best time on this cruise!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all from a dark, very rainy PNW.  So glad I got the lawn mowed yesterday, it will rain hard all day today with highs in the high 50's.

I never read the Dick Tracy comics, but DH most likely did.  My "office" could use some straightening, and I think ships in a bottle are fascinating.  I'll pass on the drink and meal, but most likely would be ok with the wine.  We've been to Greece many times, but not this port.

No plans for today and no appointments for 3 weeks.  I'm fighting a cold, so will take it easy for the most part.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers I love the October tree!  And did I miss it -- did you ever post a photo of the Christmas stocking?

Happy 43rd anniversary @Cruzin Terri!!

A very, very Happy Birthday Vanessa @JazzyV!  I hope you're enjoying your cruise to the fullest, you are appreciated!

Jacqui @kazu Very nice fence!

Thanks for the comments on the celebration tree.  You haven't missed a photo of the stocking.  I have taken a slow pace for the final work on it.  It's difficult after so many years since the last stocking was made, to remember all the right steps.  But the worst is you have to sew with the sewing machine "blind".  I can't see the edges of the stocking design because it's all inside out so I've been putting it off.  It will be finished soon, I promise.  No real hurry since I missed the wedding deadline.  Now I just have to worry about Christmas!

47 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

The pancakes would be OK and I wouldn't require that they be gluten-free, but I would want them to be lactose-free. Dinner tonight will be vegan sausage with whatever veg I can come up with, but no pancakes. The drink would be OK. For a Chardonnay we have plenty of choices even though it's not one of the top varieties here. Let's have the Colloca Vineyards 2021, from a year that was exceptionally warm, $24.95. "A warm summer into early Autumn allowed the beautiful Chardonnay that we sourced from Miles Vineyards to fully ripen. We crushed and pressed the fruit and fermented in new and aged French oak barrels using traditional techniques."

Today is the second day of Rosh Hashanah. I was the Torah reader this morning in the synagogue. I kept myself from shouting at the rabbi when he described a certain English passage in the prayer book as "offensive." Someone else took him to task about it, more politely than I could have, suggesting reading it in a different context.

I have questions for which there are no right answers. First: I had NCL arrange my flight to Miami for the Panama Canal cruise, and they've booked it on JetBlue, where I would have to pay $40 to check a bag (higher because it's the last day of the Thanksgiving peak period). Should I try to do it with only carry-on baggage, or pay the $40? My first two cruises were with a bag that could have been carried, although I actually checked it for all the flights, but this is a longer cruise and with contrasting weather there and here.

Second: the flight is from Rochester, 116 miles away, at 6:04 a.m. (It could have been worse, as the first flight that connects leaves at 5:14). Would you stay near the airport the night before, or--if the weather forecast is OK--just drive from here at 2:00 a.m.?

With the airport 116 miles away I would want a hotel at the airport.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I definitely would get an airport hotel the night before.  We get one even if our flight is before 9:00 from SeaTac which is 1 hour away.

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Groceries were bought this morning, then furnaces checked out with no problems noted.  We're still on AC here, no heat needed yet so far.  Received texts from Ashley and Chris.  Today they were in Mykonos, Greece so here's a Greece photo (not from Gythion).  They're having the best time on this cruise!

Thanks for the comments on the celebration tree.  You haven't missed a photo of the stocking.  I have taken a slow pace for the final work on it.  It's difficult after so many years since the last stocking was made, to remember all the right steps.  But the worst is you have to sew with the sewing machine "blind".  I can't see the edges of the stocking design because it's all inside out so I've been putting it off.  It will be finished soon, I promise.  No real hurry since I missed the wedding deadline.  Now I just have to worry about Christmas!

Thanks Sandi, I wasn't sure if I'd missed it when we were gone last week.  Totally understand.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Paul, I would feel better closer to the airport. 
I prefer carryon. Too much can go wrong. It gets more difficult as we age with needing more med stuff.  Jet blue might charge you for carryons too!  Ugh. 

Happy planning, and good holy days!  m—

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, The Driver’s License is still missing.  However, on a happier note, i won $500 in a raffle today.  

That was totally unexpected.

Kind of made the day.

Terri

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👍

• Like 17

oh Rochester-  @kochleffelspend the night near the airport.  It sometimes snows in November.....And I would pay the 40.  I have done a 15 day trip with a small suitcase carry on, but I dont dress up that much, and I got the laundry service on the ship (HAL.. worth every penny)and I bet you dress better than I do.  Pair of jeans, Annie. That's me.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

My DH and I only travel with a carry-on and a backpack.  The only time we have checked luggage was when we departed from Buenos Aires for our 28 day cruise anround Antarctica. (We checked a duffel of winter gear.) I do not know the price of laundry on NCL but hopefully doing a small amount would be less than $40. One key to carrying on is to limit shoes. I roll our garments.  I completely lost a bag once (never found) and avoid checking luggage.  

58 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

I prefer carryon. Too much can go wrong. It gets more difficult as we age with needing more med stuff.  Jet blue might charge you for carryons too!  Ugh.

I get one bag of laundry free on NCL, but the bags are smaller than HAL's. However, the quality of the laundry service is OK, plus there is usually a half-price special once during each cruise. Shoes are a problem, not because my name is Imelda, but because of their size. Jet Blue doesn't charge for a carry-on bag.

I did a two-week trip to central Europe about a decade ago with only a carry-on bag--not even a personal item, because I was traveling among cities by train. That required some expedients that I don't want to rely on again. It does help that NCL doesn't have formal nights.

45 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

And I would pay the 40.  I have done a 15 day trip with a small suitcase carry on, but I dont dress up that much, and I got the laundry service on the ship (HAL.. worth every penny)and I bet you dress better than I do.

I suspect that I dress worse than almost everyone. Once on NCL I talked with a passenger who was on a B2B and suddenly became worried that other passengers might also be B2B, even though it would be the same itinerary over again. She was worried that she might be seen wearing the same outfit in both cruises. My clothes are so drab that no one would ever notice; I could wear the same clothes, if washed when needed, every second day for an entire cruise.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I definitely would get an airport hotel the night before.  We get one even if our flight is before 9:00 from SeaTac which is 1 hour away

49 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

oh Rochester-  @kochleffelspend the night near the airport.  It sometimes snows in November..

Rochester has worse winter weather than we do here in the Banana Belt of New York (it's not warmer, but it's the least snowy part of the state). My hesitation about a room the night before is that I'll still have to be at the ticket counter by 5:00 a.m. to check a bag, which favors carrying. There are also issues about breakfast and lunch -- breakfast because the flight is so early, and lunch because the connecting airport is JFK where anything could happen and, in my experience, always does.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, The Driver’s License is still missing.  However, on a happier note, i won $500 in a raffle today.  

That was totally unexpected.

Kind of made the day.

Terri

Terri

Will the places that accepted Jim’s license accept his passport as an ID?

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Terri

Will the places that accepted Jim’s license accept his passport as an ID?

Probably, but a lot of the Doctors offices want you to scan the DL.  You can’t scan the Passport.  We are going to the DMV next week.  I cannot spend any more time looking for it.  I am exhausted and it is causing too much tension.

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone know how Elizabeth @Haljo1935 is?  She hasn’t posted since September 28th and her Live From is now on page 3. It makes me wonder if the WiFi has been down on the cruise. 

Roy @rafinmd, it sounds like you are getting stronger. Keep up the good work and your therapies. 

Paul @kochleffel, would you prefer a different flight?  I don’t know if it’s possible using the cruise line air but you might call them and check other options. If not I’d stay overnight near the airport. Who likes to drive at 2:00 in the morning?  I’ve never flown with just carryon. One problem is that I no longer can lift anything like that above my head, and I’m a short person, so I don’t do that. 

Have a good evening!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Anyone know how Elizabeth @Haljo1935 is?  She hasn’t posted since September 28th and her Live From is now on page 3. It makes me wonder if the WiFi has been down on the cruise. 

I was wondering about her as well.  Wasn't she on the Eurodam that was in Juneau for two days?  Obviously others on the ship were able to post, so I do worry about her.  Hopefully one of those nasty kidney stones didn't decide to act up.

16 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@StLouisCruisersSandi, if you hold the stocking up to the window, can you see the outline of the finished work? Then you can make a light pencil line just a bit inside your seam area on the inside of the stocking or one of the heat erase pens might work. That would give you a reasonable line to follow.

Great idea!  You could get a quilting pen and use it as well.  After a few days the ink disappears.  Just don't mix that pen up with regular ones.  I did that once and wrote a check with it for my guy who cleaned my gutters.  By the time he got to the bank the ink had disappeared.  He called me and I was in the airport waiting for my flight to Norway.  I was able to send him another check through my bill pay service.  

Tonight is another sleepless night.  I had just drifted off and woke with a start and can't get back to sleep.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Finally have an opportunity to write a post.

@JazzyV  Happy Birthday, special to celebrate during a cruise.

@Cruzin Terri  Congratulations on your 43rd Anniversary. Sorry that you have  the ID problem , hope that will quickly be solved.

@kazu  the fence looks very nice, Ivan will be happy with it. 

Thank you to the dailyites who have commented about the flooding.

Rain has stopped, some sunshine this evening.  

Nine houses have been Red stickered meaning that they are not fit to be occupied.

Highways north and south have re-opened , but many roads remain closed.

Some members of the Army are here to assist.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a sunny day.

Good night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 12

11 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lovely photo of the happy honeymoon couple.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@StLouisCruisersSandi, if you hold the stocking up to the window, can you see the outline of the finished work? Then you can make a light pencil line just a bit inside your seam area on the inside of the stocking or one of the heat erase pens might work. That would give you a reasonable line to follow.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

I was wondering about her as well.  Wasn't she on the Eurodam that was in Juneau for two days?  Obviously others on the ship were able to post, so I do worry about her.  Hopefully one of those nasty kidney stones didn't decide to act up.

Great idea!  You could get a quilting pen and use it as well.  After a few days the ink disappears.  Just don't mix that pen up with regular ones.  I did that once and wrote a check with it for my guy who cleaned my gutters.  By the time he got to the bank the ink had disappeared.  He called me and I was in the airport waiting for my flight to Norway.  I was able to send him another check through my bill pay service.  

Tonight is another sleepless night.  I had just drifted off and woke with a start and can't get back to sleep.

Susie and Debbie, I did something like what you said.  There is a silky lining on one side, the stocking in the middle, and the felt back to the stocking on the other side.  I pinned it, then held it up to light and made a light pencil mark to follow.  I took my time sewing it too.  So I have the sewing part finished and have to do some seam pressing and trimming, notching the seam because of the curves, and take the top edge, fold it over and hand sew that top hem for a finished look.  After that I turn the stocking right side out and check it for any issues.  Finally I make a braided hanger out of five lengths of dk. blue yarn and hand stitch it to the side of the stocking.  Done!  I'd rather stitch for 9 months than do the finish work!

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

@Cruzin Terri  Congratulations on your 43rd Anniversary. Sorry that you have  the ID problem , hope that will quickly be solved.

Nine houses have been Red stickered meaning that they are not fit to be occupied.

Good night.

I'm sorry to hear of all the damage to the local area.  Thankfully you have the Army there to help out.  We have similar issues of devastation in North Carolina, for instance, and many people are still waiting for help.  Those in charge act like they've never done this before and people are still suffering.  I hope those incompetents are soon gone and better leaders can take over these important duties.  I hope the sun remains shining there while people are picking up the pieces of their lives.

56 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photo of the happy honeymoon couple.

Thank you Graham!  Today they are in Santorini so I hope they send some lovely photos from there, too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Paul @kochleffel, would you prefer a different flight?  I don’t know if it’s possible using the cruise line air but you might call them and check other options. If not I’d stay overnight near the airport. Who likes to drive at 2:00 in the morning?  I’ve never flown with just carryon. One problem is that I no longer can lift anything like that above my head, and I’m a short person, so I don’t do that. 

Sharon, because there are no direct flights from Rochester to Miami, all the flights that work leave very early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

Good night.

Thank you for the anniversary wishes.

Terri

• Like 7

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We have similar issues of devastation in North Carolina, for instance, and many people are still waiting for help.  Those in charge act like they've never done this before and people are still suffering.  I hope those incompetents are soon gone and better leaders can take over these important duties. 

I have to take exception to the characterization of incompetents in North Carolina.  There are few passable roads in the hardest hit areas.  There is no power.  There is no water.  There is no phone service.  There are no sewer lines. There are no grocery stores.  There is little fuel.  Supplies are being transported by donkeys over the mountains.  There are over 200 people dead with hundreds still missing.  I live in Southern Pines -- about 4 hours from Asheville -- and we have had planes flying supplies almost nonstop since the storm ended.  We are doing the very best that we are able to do.  And my heart is still broken.

If the perception is truly that "those in charge act like they've never done this before", perhaps it's because they have never had to do this before.  Asheville is 5+ hours away from the coastline of North Carolina, and the last major flood was in 1916.  Helene was truly the 100-year storm.

By the way, I'm certain that North Carolina has incompetents, but they are not the ones dealing with this disaster.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

I have to take exception to the characterization of incompetents in North Carolina.  There are few passable roads in the hardest hit areas.  There is no power.  There is no water.  There is no phone service.  There are no sewer lines. There are no grocery stores.  There is little fuel.  Supplies are being transported by donkeys over the mountains.  There are over 200 people dead with hundreds still missing.  I live in Southern Pines -- about 4 hours from Asheville -- and we have had planes flying supplies almost nonstop since the storm ended.  We are doing the very best that we are able to do.  And my heart is still broken.

If the perception is truly that "those in charge act like they've never done this before", perhaps it's because they have never had to do this before.  Asheville is 5+ hours away from the coastline of North Carolina, and the last major flood was in 1916.  Helene was truly the 100-year storm.

By the way, I'm certain that North Carolina has incompetents, but they are not the ones dealing with this disaster.

Gosh your post is sad to read, Petunia1950.  We've had our house flooded this summer from a bathroom remodel and your situation really puts our situation in proper perspective.  It's awful to think what so many are going through.  

Stay strong, Petunia1950.   There are really no right words to say here.  Just sending all best wishes.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

I think you misunderstood.  I am not referring to the people helping out from North Carolina.  I mean that the Federal government officials are at fault for their slow response.  Going around handing out $750 checks to people who have lost everything is incredible!  They can't even get to a bank to cash it in some cases. I just heard of someone who ran from their house up a hill in the woods and then watched their house and car float away.  My DDIL's brother is in Asheville and is still without power or water.  Only their neighbor has been able to get them enough water from his supplies, and can charge his phone because the neighbor has a generator.  

From what I hear private groups like veterans groups, churches, rescuers like the Cajun Navy are the ones who are helping the most there.  I am sad and sick seeing what the people of NC are going through.  Please believe me, I don't think the citizens of North Carolina are "incompetents".  Just the opposite.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1