Would You Prefer An Adults-Only Cruise Option From Celebrity?

Tom and Ingrid

If X was to offer a several adults (18+) only cruises during the high summer season, would you pick them?

I could see plenty of folks here - especially now that we hear a bit of Virgin talk - preferring something like an adults only option.  I also think it would indirectly have an impact of "overcrowding" - ie sailing with all those +3 & +4 passengers in cabins that make a ship a bit more crowded.

While I can't see X doing this sort of thing, I do think it would help them sell out those cruises easily.  Probably not in its current "growth" plan as if the focus shifts towards the 35-50 demographic (they deny the shift), that's prime "kids" age for those folks.

• Like 3

To answer my own question - all other things equal, I would absolutely choose the adults only option.  I'd also likely look at summer cruises which I generally avoid unless tied to a specific summer only/summer optimal cruise like a Norway or Iceland cruise.

• Like 4

I don't see myself intentionally seeking out an Adults only cruise but I'm not opposed to their existence.  I've never been on a Celebrity cruise where the few children that were on board negatively impacted my experience.  But I am often left to wonder why parents would choose Celebrity as it seems such a pitiful kids experience compared to other cruise lines.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I've never been on a Celebrity cruise where the few children that were on board negatively impacted my experience.

We had an "interesting" children disrupting a show experience on our last cruise, and I'd lay it in the parents' fault category but if kids had not be onboard, it would not have been a problem.  

We had a singer for the evening's show in the main theater.  A row behind us, a couple with a five year old child spent most of the show having a conversation with their child.  Despite the usual "shushes" and folks giving them the "eye" it didn't stop for long as the kid was - rightfully - absolutely bored out of his skull.  But that wasn't the "interesting" bit.  That came mid-show where the singer had to STOP the show as a child was WAILING loudly up in the balcony area.  The parent(s) didn't seem to know how to rectify the situation - appease the child or leave the theater - so it went on for a minute or so before the singer stopped, asked the parent(s) to kindly take the child elsewhere, waited for that to happen, and offered her understanding of the challenge of a crying child.  

My feeling is there are also disruptive passengers, but security seems much more adept at dealing with a belligerent adult than a crying child.

• Like 4

I would - nothing against kids but last cruise there were kids running up and down the hallway almost knocking people over because they were treating the area near the cafe as a playground. Some people I was speaking to said some of them had shouted at them (some not so pleasant things). I heard one in the hallway outside my room one night around 11pm screaming his lungs out - probably overtired as past their bedtime.

Basically the kids were bored. Kids that need quieter environments it would have been fine but there were a lot of kids due to it being holidays and well these kids needed entertainment that wasn't on this ship. Sometimes you need to know your kids, as a kid I would have been fine in this environment as I am an only child so I made my own entertainment or would read, but if your kid needs a lot of stimulation this is not the line

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

We had a singer for the evening's show in the main theater.  A row behind us, a couple with a five year old child spent most of the show having a conversation with their child.  Despite the usual "shushes" and folks giving them the "eye" it didn't stop for long as the kid was - rightfully - absolutely bored out of his skull.  But that wasn't the "interesting" bit.  That came mid-show where the singer had to STOP the show as a child was WAILING loudly up in the balcony area.  The parent(s) didn't seem to know how to rectify the situation - appease the child or leave the theater - so it went on for a minute or so before the singer stopped, asked the parent(s) to kindly take the child elsewhere, waited for that to happen, and offered her understanding of the challenge of a crying child.  

Wow to both!  I continue to be amazed by parents who seem unable to read the room when it comes to parenting decisions for their children.  If I had been the parent whose child's wailing was loud enough and continuous enough to actually stop the show (good on the performer, btw) I think I'd have to abandon ship in both shame and embarrassment.  

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow to both!  I continue to be amazed by parents who seem unable to read the room when it comes to parenting decisions for their children.  If I had been the parent whose child's wailing was loud enough and continuous enough to actually stop the show (good on the performer, btw) I think I'd have to abandon ship in both shame and embarrassment.  

This seems to be the new norm.  We have seen kids disrupting fancy restaurants with the parents totally ignoring the kids.  At the better restaurants they will handle it.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

I realize it is strictly a hypothetical question because the reality is that IMO I highly doubt that Celebrity would ever consider that.  Having bookings that approach maximum capacity by filling available 3rd and 4th passenger staterooms during that season is added revenue that they would not want to sacrifice. 

And even if they were to do so, they would likely increase the double occupancy fares on those cruises to offset the loss of revenue.  Besides, comparatively speaking, Celebrity has far less children even at maximum capacity than the other family oriented cruise lines.  So IMO I think it's moot.

But one of the primary reasons that we moved most of our cruise experiences to Celebrity from RCI was their focus from families with children to adults 45+ with Celebrity once our children were adults.  So certainly I would enjoy an adult only format, but not at a premium price as the relatively small amount of children on Celebrity is not bothersome to us.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

21 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This seems to be the new norm.  We have seen kids disrupting fancy restaurants with the parents totally ignoring the kids.  At the better restaurants they will handle it.

Basically, I remember my old neighbour would eat out twice a week at nice restaurants, drag their 5 year old along and when he acted up shove a iPhone in front of him. They were then shocked when he asked for an iPhone for his 6th birthday. Mind you when kids on the street (including hers) were climbing on people's houses and I told them to get down, she told me 'they will listen if you are friend with them'. My response was 'no, as an adult telling them to get off property they should listen. And your job as a parent is to raise them not to be their friends, can do that when they are adults'

When I was a child my parents would only go out for special occasions and my nan would look after me because my parents didn't believe in kids acting up in public. I think I was 8 or 9 when they finally took me, basically old enough to know how to behave.

Forget acting up in a supermarket, I would have been pulled out the store immediately - no rewarding me for bad behaviour.

I never thought I would turn into my parents but here I am realizing they were right 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never seen more than a dozen children on any of the Celebrity cruises we have been on.

they were better behaved than most of the “ adults”

as they never talked about their loyalty status or that they were in a suite and deserve more 😉😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Misery loves company.

100% would like an adults-only option. I'D PAY MORE. You listening, Celebrity? Figure out the lost revenue from no kids, then set the prices. I'm a teacher, so I am already limited to ultra-high season pricing at xmas/new year/March break/summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

If X was to offer a several adults (18+) only cruises during the high summer season, would you pick them?

Adult only cruises should be March and April, for the Caribbean and for New England/Canada, Pacific Coastal and Alaska cruises, September and October.

Edited by doghog

We have done over 40 cruises on Celebrity, rarely had a sailing with over 25 -30 kids.

There are options for adults only cruise lines, or cruise lines that while not marketed as adults only have minimal if any kids.  IMO it is wishful thinking that Celebrity would go adults only and certainly not for the Caribbean during spring breaks months.  

• Haha 1

Not for us . .

There are plenty of dates where School vacations and family holiday cruises can be avoided. And families deserve  more upscale options than mega amusement parks at sea.

"Adult only" would quite possibly  attract more  alcohol / party drinkers and possible prime time X rated shows.. . best left to late nite on X or other adult only cruise lines.

We prefer how X has been over the years and try hard to fit in with how it has evolved!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have done over 40 cruises on Celebrity, rarely had a sailing with over 25 -30 kids.

There are options for adults only cruise lines, or cruise lines that while not marketed as adults only have minimal if any kids.  IMO it is wishful thinking that Celebrity would go adults only and certainly not for the Caribbean during spring breaks months.  

All our Celebrity cruises (our preferred cruise line) have been low numbers of kids no matter the itinerary. One kid being the lowest and that kid was under 5. But since this thread isn't a serious thread and more inline with wishful thinking it's just that. 🙃 We are RDINKs. 🤣

Edited by doghog

We have sailed on Celebrity ships with over 1000 children and teens (Christmas holidays) and honestly, I wouldn’t pay extra or specifically search for adult only cruises. 

I would however. possibly pay extra for cruises with only adults that respect the rules and play well with others! Thinking of the guy on this cruise that insisted on vaping on deck 12.

1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

Honestly, I agree with why take kids on Celebrity and have them be bored to tears. Royal Caribbean does kids activities so much better. Disney best. But Celebrity? No. 

I don't care about adults only cruises, but I certainly don't object top them.

My kids, and now my grandkids love Celebrity. They were not bored to tears for one moment, and they have fabulous memories. They did not like Royal, even for them, too many kids.

Personally we like to see children especially well behaved ones. It makes the cruise seem younger otherwise the cruise feels so old!  We have taken two of our grandchildren (7,8) to Alaska on Celebrity.  They loved it and wanted nothing to do with the kids club. 

Edited by mauimary

I would love them to have the occasional adults only cruise. I've been on 81 Celebrity cruises.  Granted, probably 80% of them had fewer than 50 kids so no issue.  The other 20% ranged from few issues to OMG the kids are running wild.  But they'll never do it.