The Daily for Monday 04/25/2022

richwmn

Vanessa @JazzyVand Ann @Vict0riann I heard back from DB.  He said Ryan had a motorcycle accident about 20 years ago and broke his femur in two just above the knee.  His surgery was done at the Veteran's hospital in St. Louis.  The pain in his knee must have just kept getting worse over the years until they agreed to do the surgery now.  I'm sorry to hear about your cousin's daughter who is struggling with her joints and getting no relief, Ann.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed all the Vietnam pictures.  We have been to the three ports in Vietnam on our Asia cruises and have had varied experiences.  Once while walking in Saigon, Sara was mugged by a punk on a motor scooter.  He tried to cut her gold chain off, but was unsuccessful as it fell down into her blouse.  Surprisingly, we found the people more friendly in Hanoi to foreigners.  Of course, I spent a lot of time in Vung Tau in 1970 and Danang in 1972.  One lasting effect was exposure to Agent Orange resulting in leukemia.  Here is a picture from 2018 while on the Coral Princess to show why they felt we needed Agent Orange.P1000667.thumb.JPG.9b87f2d557e6c97fac2cfab8a59d548a.JPG 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

17 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I enjoyed all the Vietnam pictures.  We have been to the three ports in Vietnam on our Asia cruises and have had varied experiences.  Once while walking in Saigon, Sara was mugged by a punk on a motor scooter.  He tried to cut her gold chain off, but was unsuccessful as it fell down into her blouse.  Surprisingly, we found the people more friendly in Hanoi to foreigners.  Of course, I spent a lot of time in Vung Tau in 1970 and Danang in 1972.  One lasting effect was exposure to Agent Orange resulting in leukemia.  Here is a picture from 2018 while on the Coral Princess to show why they felt we needed Agent Orange.P1000667.thumb.JPG.9b87f2d557e6c97fac2cfab8a59d548a.JPG 

We were on the same Coral Princess cruise in 2018 and enjoyed all three ports.  We were lucky that they added the tour to Hanoi, and we found the city very interesting even though our guide spent a lot of time praising Ho Chi Minh.  From Chan May, we did a tour to Hue with a cruise on the Perfume River.  

Lenda

• Like 16

29 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thank you for your service to our country.  I'm sorry it resulted in you getting leukemia. 🙁

• Like 16

Good afternoon all!

Just a quick check-in, time has gotten away from me today.  DS is coming by in a few minutes to show us the plans they have for their house after meeting with the designer and general contractor.  I'm excited to see the plans, they seem very happy with them.

Interesting days today.  DH and I both did our DNA a few years ago.  Interesting to see how the results line up with what we know of our genealogy.  I love the quote, will pass on the drink and meal (don't care for olives) but would try the wine if someone else was buying. 😉  Have never been to Viet Nam, and it isn't on my bucket list. Thanks for all photos!

@Cruzin TerriI was so pleased to hear about your first negative tests!  Also happy that the weather is a bit better for you.

• Like 17

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My April 25 sunrise is from my 2013 Crystal Symphony Tran-Pacific cruise from Kobe to Vancouver.  April 25 was a sea day between Seward and Glacier Bay:

dawn0425.jpg

Roy

hey an interesting angle for this photo.

thanks for sharing.  I suppose you like others are sad concerning Crystal ships wondering where or how they will end up.

• Like 13

Whew, I'm beat. First I did all the edging, using my new electric string trimmer that replaces one that must be 30 years old. It ran out of string, but luckily I still had one spool. I wonder if they give you a sample one that's not full. Then started mowing. I had to come in to cool down, as I started to feel not well. I drank a big bottle of Powerade and sucked on ice, which usually seems to help. Luckily it was starting to get cloudy when I went back out, so I was able to finish.

The Rheumatology office called and had a cancellation, so I go Wednesday. I don't like that they want another TB test, as that usually means some new immunosuppressive drug. Guess I'll find out.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  

Just a few minutes of quiet time to do a check in while our grandsons are resting.  They both have colds, so little sleep at night; we’re glad to be here to take care of them so their parents can continue working. 

The 7 year old’s birthday party on Saturday was a raging success with 8 children and 7 parents.  The hit of the day was the giant bouncy castle that was set up on the driveway by a family friend.  We’re still eating leftovers from the party, as our daughter in law made a giant pot of Japanese curry along with many other dishes that appealed to every taste. 

I haven’t been in here for a number of days, so am sure I’ve missed birthdays and anniversaries, but send each of the celebrants my best wishes with the hope that your days were enjoyable.   I just read that @DWAliaschief’s DW is retiring today - congratulations!!

Today is DH’s 81st birthday, the first one he’s  ever spent with our grandsons, making it very special.   Nixing todays menu suggestion (ugh on olives), I’ll be making DH’s favourite baked spaghetti.  Along with a Caesar salad and garlic bread, that’s what will be on the dinner table tonight.  And wine. 

Prayers for everyone who needs them, especially for Ukraine and our Daily family who are struggling. Clonking the glasses to cheer those on the celebration list.  Stay safe!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I love penguins.  Was lucky enough to “swim” with them while on a cruise to the Galápagos Islands.DCA35953-C9D2-47A8-B0B9-93A3FB726E2E.jpeg.ae972efd02ef949bf60712f59b233a08.jpeg

DB2AC74F-FA26-434E-9EFA-70B147411FFA.png.d9b857c6a6beac8000d427df35f203d4.png

BTW,  I posted some Paska recipes this morning on Sunday’s thread.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Just a few minutes of quiet time to do a check in while our grandsons are resting.  They both have colds, so little sleep at night; we’re glad to be here to take care of them so their parents can continue working. 

The 7 year old’s birthday party on Saturday was a raging success with 8 children and 7 parents.  The hit of the day was the giant bouncy castle that was set up on the driveway by a family friend.  We’re still eating leftovers from the party, as our daughter in law made a giant pot of Japanese curry along with many other dishes that appealed to every taste. 

I haven’t been in here for a number of days, so am sure I’ve missed birthdays and anniversaries, but send each of the celebrants my best wishes with the hope that your days were enjoyable.   I just read that @DWAliaschief’s DW is retiring today - congratulations!!

Today is DH’s 81st birthday, the first one he’s  ever spent with our grandsons, making it very special.   Nixing todays menu suggestion (ugh on olives), I’ll be making DH’s favourite baked spaghetti.  Along with a Caesar salad and garlic bread, that’s what will be on the dinner table tonight.  And wine. 

Prayers for everyone who needs them, especially for Ukraine and our Daily family who are struggling. Clonking the glasses to cheer those on the celebration list.  Stay safe!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

@ger_77.

Happy 81st birthday to your husband today.

Graham.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Whew, I'm beat. First I did all the edging, using my new electric string trimmer that replaces one that must be 30 years old. It ran out of string, but luckily I still had one spool. I wonder if they give you a sample one that's not full. Then started mowing. I had to come in to cool down, as I started to feel not well. I drank a big bottle of Powerade and sucked on ice, which usually seems to help. Luckily it was starting to get cloudy when I went back out, so I was able to finish.

The Rheumatology office called and had a cancellation, so I go Wednesday. I don't like that they want another TB test, as that usually means some new immunosuppressive drug. Guess I'll find out.

Sending you our best wishes for your TB test on Wednesday Vanessa.

Graham.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

A  very  happy  birthday to  your  DH.

Jim

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I seem to have to get a TB test every year or every other.  The drug I am on for RA reduces my ability to fight it off hence the frequent testing.  Mine blood test is called Quantiferon Gold and last time I think it was 3 tubes of blood.  Ugh.  

• Like 12

@ger_77Happy Birthday to the Hubby!  I'd tell you I was coming for dinner, but I'm fixing my own spaghetti tonight.  LOL.

@aliaschief Congratulations to your DW on her retirement!  Enjoy Hawaii! 

And yes, my Dad's cruise was in August or September of 96.  Mom passed in early August, and he packed his bags, and went to see some of the world he hadn't seen before. 

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 16

50 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I seem to have to get a TB test every year or every other.  The drug I am on for RA reduces my ability to fight it off hence the frequent testing.  Mine blood test is called Quantiferon Gold and last time I think it was 3 tubes of blood.  Ugh.  

That's what I got before I started on Humera. The blood test, not the old fashioned skin test. That was 2 years ago, so I guess they need a new one.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were on the same Coral Princess cruise in 2018 and enjoyed all three ports.  We were lucky that they added the tour to Hanoi, and we found the city very interesting even though our guide spent a lot of time praising Ho Chi Minh.  From Chan May, we did a tour to Hue with a cruise on the Perfume River.  

Lenda

I suspect that we have cruised together with a lot of the Dailies.  This cruise was great as it was 60 days that started and ended in Los Angeles.  It was also the cruise where the Executive Officer of the USS Pueblo arranged a tour to the DMZ between North and South Korea.  We were on the Amsterdam World Cruise with @rafinmd and the last Westerdam cruise with @sailingdutchy that ended in Cambodia.

Ray

• Like 15

10 hours ago, aliaschief said:

My dear wife Sue after serving 26 years serving in the USAF and retiring with the rank of Colonel pursued another career in the civil sector. Today as a Senior Director of a large cooperation she will step down and retire. Probably would have done this a couple of years ago but because we couldn’t travel she stayed on.

Congratulations to Sue @DWAliaschiefon a well deserved and earned retirement.  May you both have many happy years together planning, travelling and enjoying each other!

F361CE5D-1550-499E-AF5C-90ADA8B391E1.jpeg.6d0740f271d02ceea352ef9587a7fa1b.jpeg

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry so many photos!

How dare you apologize 😱 Your photos are always great and much appreciated.  The more, the better 🙂 

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Oh dear, hope the test goes ok and there doesn’t have to be another drug 🤞 

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Today is DH’s 81st birthday, the first one he’s  ever spent with our grandsons, making it very special.  

A very, very happy birthday to your DH.  So nice he has his grandsons to help hime celebrate.

5FE6150D-79BD-42EF-A4E7-40BE04AF6FC4.jpeg.dbd67a0bbf929a6d7560b0342a940cba.jpeg

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

My cousin's daughter, with RA, is in dire need of new shoulders, in her early 50's (seems like everything else has already been replaced once or twice), and they won't do them as "she's too young"!  They are talking about cortisone injections into the shoulders, but I would think they might do more harm than good.  They won't do her elbows, either, they just removed bone.  And she's a piano teacher, she goes through great struggles.

So sorry to hear this, Ann.  Ironic as DH is too old for a procedure that could make a big difference and your cousin’s daughter is too young 😔

I have heard DH talk about this and apparently the “parts” wear out and a second surgery is not always successful.  I hope she can hang in there and they can help her 🙏🏻   

@USN59-79 I am so sorry to hear the damage agent orange did to you.  Thank you for your service.  You certainly sacrificed too much with getting this awful cancer 😔 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I suspect that we have cruised together with a lot of the Dailies.  This cruise was great as it was 60 days that started and ended in Los Angeles.  It was also the cruise where the Executive Officer of the USS Pueblo arranged a tour to the DMZ between North and South Korea.  We were on the Amsterdam World Cruise with @rafinmd and the last Westerdam cruise with @sailingdutchy that ended in Cambodia.

Ray

Ray,

We were on a Princess cruise in 2013 with veterans, and the XO of the Pueblo was on our cruise - in fact, he set up the meet and greet! We also met Joseph Galloway and Col. Bruce Crandall, discussing the book "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young."  My DH is USMC, and one of the highlights was meeting General James Conway, 34th Commandant of the Marine Corps.  Short cruise (4 days) but extremely patriotic and fun!!

Laura

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Congratulations to Sue @DWAliaschiefon a well deserved and earned retirement.  May you both have many happy years together planning, travelling and enjoying each other!

F361CE5D-1550-499E-AF5C-90ADA8B391E1.jpeg.6d0740f271d02ceea352ef9587a7fa1b.jpeg

How dare you apologize 😱 Your photos are always great and much appreciated.  The more, the better 🙂 

Oh dear, hope the test goes ok and there doesn’t have to be another drug 🤞 

A very, very happy birthday to your DH.  So nice he has his grandsons to help hime celebrate.

5FE6150D-79BD-42EF-A4E7-40BE04AF6FC4.jpeg.dbd67a0bbf929a6d7560b0342a940cba.jpeg

So sorry to hear this, Ann.  Ironic as DH is too old for a procedure that could make a big difference and your cousin’s daughter is too young 😔

I have heard DH talk about this and apparently the “parts” wear out and a second surgery is not always successful.  I hope she can hang in there and they can help her 🙏🏻   

@USN59-79 I am so sorry to hear the damage agent orange did to you.  Thank you for your service.  You certainly sacrificed too much with getting this awful cancer 😔 

Thanks, Jacqui for your concern, but it is not so awful.  I see an oncologist once a year and he says I will most likely die of something other than leukemia.  The Veterans Administration says that I am 100% disabled and sends me a check every month.  And I actually enjoyed my 20 years in the U.S. Navy.

Ray

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1