Canine of the Seas....yet another dog on ship

There are people responding who are not getting the real dog issue. It is not trained service dogs that is the problem, it is the untrained, internet "fake" certified untrained service animals that is at issue. I don't if no one here has heard about the emotional support dogs that have attacked paying passengers on airlines, crew members; pooping dogs urinating and barking at everyone. Not only is it emotional support dogs, people have brought on their pigs, birds, snakes, etc.

Delta had an incident where a 50lb lap dog, yes, they man had 50lbs of dog sitting in his lap; attacked the face of sitting paying passenger. The dog and his owner (Lab) had the middle seat, the passenger had the window seat. It wasn't a nip, it was two bits where the man needed 28 stiches and multiple plastic surgeries. Rhetorical Question: Who is going to pay for that, Delta, the passenger, the dog?

Edited by NotThePest_Too
Misspelling and correction of dog type

Regarding "look alike" service dogs it is Illegal for the cruise line or any business to discriminate. Until the laws are changed nothing can be done.

"Look alike" fake service dogs have no ADA rights. The problem, as I see it, is telling the difference. If the owner of an emotional support animal claims it is a service dog I don't know how it can be disproven. If the person tells you the dog is an ESA I would think that you could then tell them that they are not allowed.

There are all kinds of allergies. It someone is allergic to alcohol,,,should the cruise line stop serving alcohol? Someone has an allergy to seafood.....no lobster night....no fish on the menu?

If the dog is well behaved why is it a problem? Most Service dogs and their owners are very respectful. Regarding "look alike" service dogs it is Illegal for the cruise line or any business to discriminate. Until the laws are changed nothing can be done.

I agree with you. But I think the difference between the allergies you describe and allergy to a dog is that the things you mentioned are things that generally have to be consumed for an allergic reaction to occur (although I could be wrong). For some people, just being around a dog could cause a problem.

Which laws are you even referring to? What about ships that are flagged in and sail in other countries? What about ships that are flagged in other countries, but sail from the U. S. to foreign ports?

"Look alike" fake service dogs have no ADA rights. The problem, as I see it, is telling the difference. If the owner of an emotional support animal claims it is a service dog I don't know how it can be disproven. If the person tells you the dog is an ESA I would think that you could then tell them that they are not allowed.

If the animal is roaming all around, if the animal is jumping up on people's lap, if the animal is barking at everyone ...it's not trained. It may be the person's emotional support ...but it needs to be trained.

Example but not using an animal: A person's emotional support may be a convicted killer; however, if I invite that person to my home and they bring along the killer, they will be asked to leave. Even though we pay, they pay for the privilege of being on a cruise, that doesn't mean you can take over. Even though I invite someone to my home, that doesn't mean they can come in and act like there at home unless they ask me and I say it's O.K.

I have no problems with dogs on the boat and do not see why a person having a dog affects anyone else's cruise.

Obviously you aren't thinking of tbe big picture. Retiredgram has it right.

When you step in the dog poo, it will affect you.

(y) Exactly, and some will also let them eat from their plate in the MDR/Windjammer. Just where is the vomiting emoji?

If the animal is roaming all around, if the animal is jumping up on people's lap, if the animal is barking at everyone ...it's not trained. It may be the person's emotional support ...but it needs to be trained.

You might not know about any of that until the ship has sailed.

There are all kinds of allergies. It someone is allergic to alcohol,,,should the cruise line stop serving alcohol? Someone has an allergy to seafood.....no lobster night....no fish on the menu?...........
So you can inhale your food? :rolleyes:

You might not know about any of that until the ship has sailed.

Maybe this should fall under the, "if you see something say something," rule. Unless the dog is knocked out when the owner is checking in, that behavior can certainly be observed.

Ramona

I am posting a reply because ...unlike formal night and gratuity threads. I don't think there can be enough discussion about non-service animals ,being on cruise ships.

I think we MUST keep speaking out about it.

So that the cruise lines will hear us and STOP these NON-service animals from being on board.

I went online to see how easy it was to register just a PET, as the emotional companion And it was OUTRAGEOUSLY EASY.

All it would've taken was a few hundred dollars and my pet could've gone on vacation with me.

I would never do it , but if we don't SPEAK UP there is going to be 50 dogs on every ship.

Because the mentality seems to be... if they can do it, why cannot I. :mad::eek::mad:

Come on Royal Caribbean, in-force some standards and REQUIRE some actual PROOF, meaning doctors information.

AMEN to this reply. because next people will bring their favorite plant, chair, etc etc.

I believe in people trying to enjoy their cruise but this EMOTIONAL support seems to have no end to it.

Hey chew gum, read a good book, or listen to music like the rest of us to calm yourself down.:cool:

The animal, service trained or not, will not be able to go into most ports without special documentation and vaccinations.

If the guest chooses to disembark the ship at a port at which the service dog must remain onboard, the guest must make arrangements to ensure that the dog is cared for. Note that the ship's staff is not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended.

Guests are responsible for obtaining all required documents for the animal to depart the ship in ports of call and at final destination. For document requirements, visit:

A copy of these permits must be carried on the ship, and a copy left with Guest Relations Desk upon boarding the ship.

Please not all documentation and immunization requirements are established by government authorities and not Royal Caribbean International. Please note requirements are subject to change without notice.

The animal, service trained or not, will not be able to go into most ports without special documentation and vaccinations.

Last time this subject came up someone posted that a dog had been left unattended in the cabin next door to them in and out of the balcony door..barking all day while the owner was off the ship. They called guest services and were told they really couldn't do anything about it...other than tell the owner when they returned that that shouldn't have been done....A bit too late after all day barking.

Last time this subject came up someone posted that a dog had been left unattended in the cabin next door to them in and out of the balcony door..barking all day while the owner was off the ship. They called guest services and were told they really couldn't do anything about it...other than tell the owner when they returned that that shouldn't have been done....A bit too late after all day barking.

How absolutely disgusting. You drag your dog onto a cruise ship for YOUR own personal comfort, lessen anxiety, stability, happiness, whatever. What about the DOG's comfort, stability, happiness, lessen anxiety? This is downright animal cruelty ... IMO.

It seems to me the issue is, once again, a population that feels entitled to do anything "because it makes me feel good," or "because no one should be judged by what clothing is worn," or "because it's MY vacation, so I can do whatever I want." As long as that's the attitude you are battling and society continues to encourage such thinking, they will continue to do what they want, no matter how it inconveniences others, irritates others, affects the health of others.

On a recent cruise I saw a couple with a tiny dog . On the 7th.day of the cruise I saw the dog with a service tag . Somebody said that the wife of the couple has emotional problems and the dog calms her.

Emotional Support Animals aren't covered by the ADA.