Priests will still be on HAL ships

Kooolmomma

Just got the official confirmation that Catholic priests will still be onboard HAL ships. I was concerned about this, so I wrote to the source of placing priests onboard--the Apostleship of the Seas. Here is the text from the secretary general.

Mary Lou,

Thank you for your inquiry about the changes onboard Holland America regarding Clergy.

While it is true that Holland America Line will be limiting Protestant and Jewish Clergy to certain holy days in the year 2017, the Catholic Priests will still be onboard all sailings.

However, it is important to note that the best way to ensure that the company continues to have priests onboard, is to let them know how important this service is to you and your family and friends onboard.

Please do let them know how important this is to you and let them know that you choose to travel with HAL because they have priests onboard.

If you should wish to speak further, please feel free to phone me, or send your phone number and I'll give you a call.

All the best!

Doreen

Doreen M. Badeaux

Secretary General

Apostleship of the Sea of the United States of America

1500 Jefferson Drive

Port Arthur, TX 77642-0646

phone: 409-985-4545

fax: 409-985-5945

Just got the official confirmation that Catholic priests will still be onboard HAL ships. I was concerned about this, so I wrote to the source of placing priests onboard--the Apostleship of the Seas. Here is the text from the secretary general.

Mary Lou,

Thank you for your inquiry about the changes onboard Holland America regarding Clergy.

While it is true that Holland America Line will be limiting Protestant and Jewish Clergy to certain holy days in the year 2017, the Catholic Priests will still be onboard all sailings.

However, it is important to note that the best way to ensure that the company continues to have priests onboard, is to let them know how important this service is to you and your family and friends onboard.

Please do let them know how important this is to you and let them know that you choose to travel with HAL because they have priests onboard.

If you should wish to speak further, please feel free to phone me, or send your phone number and I'll give you a call.

All the best!

Doreen

Doreen M. Badeaux

Secretary General

1500 Jefferson Drive

I hope you don't mind but I just submitted my own query:

"I understand that Holland America is no longer carrying protestant ministers on any but holiday cruises. One of the basic services you list for priests is "Ecumenical or Interfaith services for non-Catholic Passengers". It appears that most priests on HAL assume that there is a minister on board and do not do this. Please stress to your members that this is an essential function appreciated by passengers on the ship and it is especially important now that there are no longer ministers on the ships.

I know this can work as the priests on Crystal do a superb job with this.

Thank you."

I'll post if I get a reply

Roy

"Good Afternoon Mr. ...........,

Thank you for your note. You are correct about the changes onboard the Holland America Line ships, in regard to the Protestant Ministers and Rabbis onboard.

We are sorry to see this change as we value the presence of these Clergy men and women, but have noted it and are working on a notice to go out to all of our Cruise Ship Priests.

On other cruise lines, they know that they will be expected to provide Interfaith or Ecumenical Services, but generally have not had to do so regularly on the HAL ships. We will be asking them to be especially mindful of this, so that all those wishing to access Religious Services onboard, will have access to positive, meaningful Services.

I sincerely appreciate your kindness in making this request.

Please let me know if I may assist you in any way!

Doreen"

I am cautiously optimistic about this response. It could actually be a positive change for some of the shorter HAL cruises where there has been a void.

Roy

Mary Lou,

All the best!

Doreen

Doreen M. Badeaux

Secretary General

1500 Jefferson Drive

Kooolmomma, thanks for sharing the news and the AOS letter about Roman Catholic priests on board HAL cruises. In addition to following Doreen Badeaux' advice (which I have bolded) above, I suggest that CCers (who are grateful for AOS providing the cruises ship priests) show their gratitude by making regular financial contributions to AOS.

Again, thank you for sharing thiis great news ... and smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

I wasn't aware that clergy other than Catholic priests were on HAL ships. I can't remember seeing notices of services other than Mass in the On Location.

On Cunard, there may or may not be a priest on any given voyage. But there's usually a Sunday nondenominational service done by the Captain or another senior officer. I recall going to one on a Princess cruise, too. Do HAL captains or officers ever do something like that?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Kathy, there's usually something announced in On Location. Until now there has been a minister on longer voyages but not on the shorter ones. Usually a crew member takes some hymn books to one of the meeting rooms and from that point there is little or no direction. The Captain leading the service is not part of the HAL tradition that I'm aware of.

I know Himself takes the initiative to lead services when there is no minister on board but most have not.

My last HAL cruise was Bermuda on the Veendam. Surprisingly, one of the lead singers stepped forward and organized a plan. I got the impression he was very embarrassed by the outcome the prior week and got involved. I made sure I noted that on my post-cruise questionnaire.

In my cruises next year I will probably provide feedback to both HAL and AOS on what happens.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

"Good Afternoon Mr. ...........,

Thank you for your note. You are correct about the changes onboard the Holland America Line ships, in regard to the Protestant Ministers and Rabbis onboard.

We are sorry to see this change as we value the presence of these Clergy men and women, but have noted it and are working on a notice to go out to all of our Cruise Ship Priests.

On other cruise lines, they know that they will be expected to provide Interfaith or Ecumenical Services, but generally have not had to do so regularly on the HAL ships. We will be asking them to be especially mindful of this, so that all those wishing to access Religious Services onboard, will have access to positive, meaningful Services.

I sincerely appreciate your kindness in making this request.

Please let me know if I may assist you in any way!

Doreen"

I am cautiously optimistic about this response. It could actually be a positive change for some of the shorter HAL cruises where there has been a void.

Roy

Roy, thank you so much for asking and posting the response. That is good news. I join you in cautious optimism :).

I wasn't aware that clergy other than Catholic priests were on HAL ships. I can't remember seeing notices of services other than Mass in the On Location.

On Cunard, there may or may not be a priest on any given voyage. But there's usually a Sunday nondenominational service done by the Captain or another senior officer. I recall going to one on a Princess cruise, too. Do HAL captains or officers ever do something like that?

We normally do longer cruises now and there has always been services by a minister on all of our cruises. It was one of the nice touches of HAL.

Kathy, there's usually something announced in On Location. Until now there has been a minister on longer voyages but not on the shorter ones. Usually a crew member takes some hymn books to one of the meeting rooms and from that point there is little or no direction. The Captain leading the service is not part of the HAL tradition that I'm aware of.

I know Himself takes the initiative to lead services when there is no minister on board but most have not.

My last HAL cruise was Bermuda on the Veendam. Surprisingly, one of the lead singers stepped forward and organized a plan. I got the impression he was very embarrassed by the outcome the prior week and got involved. I made sure I noted that on my post-cruise questionnaire.

In my cruises next year I will probably provide feedback to both HAL and AOS on what happens.

Roy

Thanks for the answer. i really like the way Cunard handles the service. Having a senior officer lead it gives it a sort of dignity. The one on Princess was good, too, although it made me a bit nervous when we sang "For Those In Peril on the Seas"!!

As an evangelical Christian I am disappointed that Protestant pastors will only be on holiday cruises. We have taken several long cruises and have enjoyed the Bible studies, devotions and fellowship with other believers on the sea days as well as Sunday services. We will truly miss those special times!

As an evangelical Christian I am disappointed that Protestant pastors will only be on holiday cruises. We have taken several long cruises and have enjoyed the Bible studies' date=' devotions and fellowship with other believers on the sea days as well as Sunday services. We will truly miss those special times![/quote']

We have met people in the service and enjoyed talking around the ship.

I have been to Sunday services a couple times onboard that were guest led. A man said he had corresponded prior to boarding and offered to lead.

We usually do 7 night cruises and try to depart on Sunday giving us the extra day to travel over Saturday departures. There is nothing then for Protestants.

Roy

We were on Zuiderdam this past Easter and Stryker and a couple singers and the gal singer from BBKing all led a sunrise service. A guest onboard did the sermon. It was in the theater and very well attended. There was a separate Mass service afterwards. They also had a Good Friday service.

There are so many little wonderful extras on HAL. :)

I hope you don't mind but I just submitted my own query:

"I understand that Holland America is no longer carrying protestant ministers on any but holiday cruises. One of the basic services you list for priests is "Ecumenical or Interfaith services for non-Catholic Passengers". It appears that most priests on HAL assume that there is a minister on board and do not do this. Please stress to your members that this is an essential function appreciated by passengers on the ship and it is especially important now that there are no longer ministers on the ships.

I know this can work as the priests on Crystal do a superb job with this.

Thank you."

I'll post if I get a reply

Roy

Roy:

I always assume I will do this service unless some Minister says he would prefer to do the service. I believe you were once on a cruise where I was the priest.

On one of my Mexico trips Father Ned led the interdenominational meeting. I really enjoyed it. And (at his invitation) I returned later in the week for Mass. coming from a non-liturgical tradition it's enriching to worship with more structure.

Thank you for bringing the change to the attention of AOS, Roy.

Roy:

I always assume I will do this service unless some Minister says he would prefer to do the service. I believe you were once on a cruise where I was the priest.

Sadly, Father, we have not yet sailed together. I think you're committed this winter so we are also not likely to be on the Konigsdam together. I've got my hopes up for 2018.

I'm glad you said "unless some Minister"; I've seen some lay volunteers who want to do it and push their own denominational ideas.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Sadly, Father, we have not yet sailed together. I think you're committed this winter so we are also not likely to be on the Konigsdam together. I've got my hopes up for 2018.

I'm glad you said "unless some Minister"; I've seen some lay volunteers who want to do it and push their own denominational ideas.

Roy

I do have some tentative assignments in 2017.

I know that my husband will be delighted with this news. I had totally forgotten that there were services on our last cruise. We're on the Koningsdam this November, and with it being a 10 day, he will be much appreciative of having service(s) that he can attend. Because he doesn't read the daily, I'll have to be sure to do that for him. Himself, will you be the priest on board at that time?

It has been a year or so, since our last cruise on HAL, but I seem to remember that on Sundays, there was always a notice in the Daily List, of a non-denominational service to be held in one of the larger rooms/theater. Should think that there would be enough people wanting such a service, that there would be some congregant to offer to oblige. We always went to the Vigil Mass on Saturday nights, and appreciated having one. In fact, on one cruise in 2010, it was over Easter, and I ended up playing the "organ" from the stage, as the service was held in the showroom. Closest I ever got to the "Big Time!' Cheers. HMH

There are lots of religions in the world besides Catholicism. Why should a cruise line have and pay for a minister from just one faith. Either have one of each or none of all.

They obviously can do whatever they wish but I object to single religion favoritism.

DON

I am probably wrong, but...I have always assumed that the priests were on board every cruise for the benefit of the Filipino staff most of whom are Catholic. It's like having the doctor see passengers, but he's really there for sick and injured crew.

There are lots of religions in the world besides Catholicism. Why should a cruise line have and pay for a minister from just one faith. Either have one of each or none of all.

They obviously can do whatever they wish but I object to single religion favoritism.

DON

A minister cannot validly confect the Eucharist. I priest can give a biblically based sermon.

Roy:

DON

Are they paid or is it a free cruise ? Respectfully Himself , what's the story ?

I have spoken with a couple of enrichment speakers and they received a cabin (partner was welcome but paid port fees) and a small honorarium . Air and incidentals were not included .

I am not making a value judgement about clergy versus invited speakers .

Edited by richstowe