NCL Makes New Offer for Sun Passengers!!!

MizDemeanor

In case you have Thread Fatigue and missed this from another thread:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the travel experience, safety and satisfaction of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. Recently Norwegian Sun underwent enhancements as part of our continuous efforts to ensure that every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality passenger experience. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact to our guests when these enhancements are being implemented, we do recognize that during a recent sailing, we did not meet the expectations of our guests, nor our own standards, for which we truly apologize. Norwegian Cruise Line is inviting the guests on the March 16th Norwegian Sun voyage to cruise again and fully experience all that Norwegian has to offer with a 100% future cruise credit of their fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2023. We realize that this gesture cannot replace their recent experience but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome them on board again soon.

Well at least they are recognizing people are upset. It should be a refund. But it's better than what we got on the Breakaway New Years cruise

I sailed after you on Jan 5. And we got more than u. We got 25% which I'm using next Jan on escape 14 days got 144$ p.p. back for staying in nyc overnight and 17$ for missing aruba

The negative media coverage makes NCL budge. It's shameful they wouldn't do the right thing until all the bad press started to snowball.

NCL you lost and will continue to lose much, much more revenue and respect than the tiny amount you saved by subjecting these 'valued' passengers to that 15 day disgrace you called a cruise.

The negative media coverage makes NCL budge. It's shameful they wouldn't do the right thing until all the bad press started to snowball.

NCL you lost and will continue to lose much, much more revenue and respect than the tiny amount you saved by subjecting these 'valued' passengers to that 15 day disgrace you called a cruise.

Other lines have had challenges for similar reasons or for other reasons. If you are a long enough cruiser you understand this.

That NCL is probably leading the industry with this particular offer speaks volumes. I have no stake in their stock or anything else as I do sail other cruise other lines as weel, yet I do appreciate that they contemplated the overall reaction. NCL reacted to this with a revised and generous approach based on an evaluation of the events, with a gathering of full information rather than a knee-jerk band aid that was demanded by the cruise guests reporting while on board is my perspective.

But they may also have learned not to do massive construction while underway with passengers unless they want massive headaches from the media afterwards.

Much better compensation package offered. Smart marketing too as that much of an FCC will get many of those people back on another ship and they will have to spend some money at least. Nice on the 5 years to use it too.

Where are the "regular gang" who insisted there was no story and these people got more than they deserved? This is much more fair.

I think this is a good result and applaud NCL for stepping up. And thank you to the passengers on Sun for their tireless efforts in this matter, the result of which is that something like this will probably never happen again, on NCL or any other line.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

1. Definitely applaud them for holding NCL feet to the fire.

2. This will definitely happen again. Have read it on the Carnival boards. Have read it on Holland America boards. Now reading it here. Next year it'll be another cruise line.

I feel that unfortunately the massive negative press forced the compensation. However, for whatever reason, not a bad offer, especially giving a five year period in which to use it. Much less hassle than a lengthy legal process. But, NCL...what were you thinking, doing that construction during that cruise? Would any of you think it was just a minor inconvenience had you been on board?

NCL seems to be a company run by yo-yo's. This happens over and over. Then they go overboard in reconciling the disaster. Had they compensated the passengers appropriately and in a timely manner, the BAD PR could have been avoided.

Recently, something similar happened when a couple put their docs in checked luggage. After the story broke, NCL stood it's ground. Then the PR got even worse. So what does NCL do? They not only gave the couple a refund but also a free cruise. Simply giving a free cruise after the first article could have snuffed out the damage and NCL could have kept the refund money. Why is Del Rio paid more than the CEO of Carnival and RCL? Stupid Board of Directors!

This should have been done in the first place, but it makes me feel better about my trip on the Sun later this year.

Exactly. The ONLY reason the passengers are receiving this credit is because of the media coverage. What they did was completely unacceptable. Yes. Those of us that cruise know that some minor work may be done on a cruise right before drydock. But this was WAY beyond any level I have ever heard of or seen in the past.

In the end, it was a smart decision from NCL, as I can almost guarantee you they were going to be facing major lawsuits from this cruise. And they still may. What kind of idiot makes the decision to mix a PAYING customer base with toxic chemicals for two weeks?

I’m glad that they increased the offer for those who were affected.

But from a different perspective perhaps the contractor that they hired was not entirely forthcoming with how much of a disturbance that their preliminary refurbishment would create. I’m sure that there was a list of the work that would take place but I’m wondering if the execs who authorized the work to begin during the cruise realized how noisy and disruptive that it was going to be. I’m sure we’ll never know... let’s see if the same contractor is hired for any future NCL dry docks.

What would have been best was as soon as the passenger complaints began and the Captain saw how severe it was they should have asked the contractors to limit their work and instead shortened the post dry dock cruise for a couple days to make up for the lost time. I’m sure that the Captain is not allowed to make those decisions but I’m sure he was able to relay the condition of the ship to the decision makers.

I was on the Sky for a sailing where they were refinishing a large section of the main pool deck. It involved very large sanders and followed by the application of sealants. This work blocked access to the area from one side of the midship atrium elevators. We didn’t get any cruise credit.

Edited by Motegi

Exactly. The ONLY reason the passengers are receiving this credit is because of the media coverage. What they did was completely unacceptable. Yes. Those of us that cruise know that some minor work may be done on a cruise right before drydock. But this was WAY beyond any level I have ever heard of or seen in the past.

In the end, it was a smart decision from NCL, as I can almost guarantee you they were going to be facing major lawsuits from this cruise. And they still may. What kind of idiot makes the decision to mix a PAYING customer base with toxic chemicals for two weeks?

The same one that is paid more than any other cruise line CEO. Del Rio also ran Renaissance Cruise line right into bankruptcy by telling travel agents that he didn't need them. Renaissance was so badly damaged that 9/11 nudged it over the cliff.

Good PR move, better late than never. I've said this on one of the closed thread, NCL social media does read & follow CC ... Guess what, this ain't fake news for a 4X increase in OBC, from 25% good for 12 months to 100% with a 5 year limit.

Myth busting for the apologist's claims of faking it, or else they wouldn't changed their minds and up the offer ahead of a brewing storm. Those stockholders are lurking around and will be back, just click IGNORE.

Bravo & Kudo to those that sailed the PC on the SUN for getting this accomplished.

As for the shift in who to blame, the bucks stop somewhere ... top of the pyramid. If the contractors onboard were not accountable, then, the ship's captain in command has a duty and obligation to call it in and bring the work to a full stop. Breakaway sailing next weekend on its TA ... dry dock ahead.

[/b]

The same one that is paid more than any other cruise line CEO. Del Rio also ran Renaissance Cruise line right into bankruptcy by telling travel agents that he didn't need them. Renaissance was so badly damaged that 9/11 nudged it over the cliff.

FDR is President of the holding company that oversees NCL, Oceania & Regent. Andrew Stuart is the President of NCL cruise lines.

I think NCL has listened as I've just noticed at the moment all the cruises on the Jewel pre and post dry dock are no longer available on the website. I had been following these cruises as I was interested in the cruise prior to the drydock/makeover.

This could be:

a) they will redo the itineraries to ensure passengers aren't onboard while they do the refurbs.

b) they've been chartered

c) they've sold out

I'm wondering though if it's related to 'a'.

Just checked the website, the 16 day cruise into Singapore, arriving 10/22/18 is still available. The 7 day cruise out of Singapore on 11/5/18 after the dry dock is also available. We rescheduled to March, 2019, less chance of problems.

Good on NCL to react by first saying sorry that they didn't meet what they offered and guests expected unlike the first one that didn't feel like a sorry but selling the edge program as a feature. To me this seems like a solid offer at 100% and 5 years now put it on your news section on your website like you did with the storms last year. I personally don't think people where really in danger and would like you to be more open what was used, how and stuff but i guessing you can't for legal reasons. I also assume that people more effected directly by the event will get a personal offer.

Mistakes are made and how you react to them is important we don't live in 1950 anymore this is 2018 and people can/will report, others will share and news will pick up and polarize the news.

I hope the people on that trip have their problems solved and will move on and consider the fun parts of that trip while doing the next one and this is now on the 'oops we won't do that anymore list at NCL HQ'.

Daniel.