This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

Unfortunately this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but as one who doesn't cruise for loyalty perks, I am honestly curious: if a passenger is going to be booking a suite (as the ones you replied to indicated), what are the additional benefits of being a loyal HAL cruiser that are so irresistable?

Not meant to be tongue-in-cheek, in case it comes across that way. I always figure most loyalty benefits are not worth much on any line, compared to the cost outlay of obtaining them in the first place....;) But that's just me.

I'm not sure if you are asking about perks for those who book suites or if you were asking what perks there are for loyalty -- Four or Five Star Mariners.

You may know that it takes 200 "days" to reach Four Star status. A seven day cruise would earn seven days (obviously) towards the 200. However, staying in a suite doubles the number of credits to fourteen. Every $300 spent for services onboard equals another day (up to a maximum of how many days long the cruise is -- that is, you can earn UP TO seven extra "days" on a seven day cruise. Expenditures over the $2100 do not count).

There are several perks available for Four or Five Star Mariners. We were thrilled to reach that level because of the unlimited laundry and pressing service. Last week was the first time we were able to use it and it absolutely made a difference in how we packed. For one thing, we were able to pack many more items into a suitcase because we knew we could have anything pressed once we were on the ship. Also, we took fewer items because we could have laundry done every day (if necessary).

There is a 50% discount on coffee purchases in the Exploration Café. Small deal, but we feel better about ordering our daily lattes when it's half-priced!

Priority boarding is not all that important, but it is nice -- depending on how many are ahead of you in the line at check-in!

Discounts on certain wine packages aren't something we use, but I'm sure others do.

Hope this helps! Now that we have these (small) perks, we would be hesitant to change lines (well, because we like HAL's product, too!).

Have to smile about the 4-5 Star Perks. Yes, we do like the free laundry although sometimes we miss the hours in the laundromat (not on all ships). The wine package discounts are nice, even though we do understand that both packages have been carefully selected with the discounts in mind (even at 50% off the wines are not a bargain). And our upcoming cruise (Prinsendam) will likely have more than 75% of the passengers at 4 Star of above, so the other benefits really have little impact. Nothing like having priority for a tender along with everyone else on the ship. The last time we cruised on the P'Dam we were directed to the 4-5 Star line at the embarkation terminal and noticed that while that line was long, the regular check in lines had hardly anyone. So we simply walked over to the regular queue and were onboard while others were still waiting in the priority line.

What we really miss on HAL is getting free internet time. On a long Princess cruise, DW and I will normally get around 1000 free internet minutes. On Celebrity we get a few hours as we do on Azamara and RCI. On HAL, despite having over 350 days we do not get a single free internet minute.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In addition to what has already been mentioned, Five Star Mariners get

Two free Pinnacle Dinners.

Free Culinary Arts Class.

Wine Tasting.

Discount on some Logo clothing.

50% discount off 100 minute WiFi package. I have bought larger packages and got the discount.

Complimentary Day Pass to Spa & Salon Thermal Suite

Looking forward to the 33 "days" we'll earn for our 11-night Koningsdam sailing later this year. I was most impressed when I emailed HAL a couple of years ago with an image from our family album from 1966 (as my only evidence of sailing). Later that same day I was awarded 7 points for that cruise!! At least those 40 total points will bring me to a two-star level... with 3 stars not too far from reach. Not sure that we'll ever get beyond that!

I appreciate that most cruise lines extend the opportunity to earn additional points for "extra spend" so to speak. Of all the major lines that I'm familiar with, only Carnival has a flat day-for-day points system, with no chance to earn more. Of course, they're also the line with the fewest suite perks as well... so no surprise there!

Tom

Looking forward to the 33 "days" we'll earn for our 11-night Koningsdam sailing later this year. I was most impressed when I emailed HAL a couple of years ago with an image from our family album from 1966 (as my only evidence of sailing). Later that same day I was awarded 7 points for that cruise!! At least those 40 total points will bring me to a two-star level... with 3 stars not too far from reach. Not sure that we'll ever get beyond that!

I appreciate that most cruise lines extend the opportunity to earn additional points for "extra spend" so to speak. Of all the major lines that I'm familiar with, only Carnival has a flat day-for-day points system, with no chance to earn more. Of course, they're also the line with the fewest suite perks as well... so no surprise there!

Tom

Nice that HAL credited you for that cruise. Cunard gave my father credit for his crossing on Mauritania when it was a troop transport ship in WWII. That bumped him up to "platinum," and he was quite pleased about that.

I'm pretty sure Cunard only gives credit for days sailed. Maybe Queens Grill gets extra days. But the perks are pretty good, with an internet package that increases at each level, priority embarkation and disembarkation at higher levels. For Diamond, you get a free lunch at a specialty restaurant, wine tasting, disembarkation lounge with coffee and snacks while you wait to disembark and EIGHT hours of internet. The list is longer than that, but those are the things we use.

I'm not sure if you are asking about perks for those who book suites or if you were asking what perks there are for loyalty -- Four or Five Star Mariners.

You may know that it takes 200 "days" to reach Four Star status. A seven day cruise would earn seven days (obviously) towards the 200. However, staying in a suite doubles the number of credits to fourteen. Every $300 spent for services onboard equals another day (up to a maximum of how many days long the cruise is -- that is, you can earn UP TO seven extra "days" on a seven day cruise. Expenditures over the $2100 do not count).

There are several perks available for Four or Five Star Mariners. We were thrilled to reach that level because of the unlimited laundry and pressing service. Last week was the first time we were able to use it and it absolutely made a difference in how we packed. For one thing, we were able to pack many more items into a suitcase because we knew we could have anything pressed once we were on the ship. Also, we took fewer items because we could have laundry done every day (if necessary).

There is a 50% discount on coffee purchases in the Exploration Café. Small deal, but we feel better about ordering our daily lattes when it's half-priced!

Priority boarding is not all that important, but it is nice -- depending on how many are ahead of you in the line at check-in!

Discounts on certain wine packages aren't something we use, but I'm sure others do.

Hope this helps! Now that we have these (small) perks, we would be hesitant to change lines (well, because we like HAL's product, too!).

In addition to what has already been mentioned, Five Star Mariners get

Two free Pinnacle Dinners.

Free Culinary Arts Class.

Wine Tasting.

Discount on some Logo clothing.

50% discount off 100 minute WiFi package. I have bought larger packages and got the discount.

Complimentary Day Pass to Spa & Salon Thermal Suite

Thanks for the answers re: perks for Mariners. I guess for the way I tend to travel, none of them would be enough to keep me wedded to a particular line. I agree that a few would be nice additions, but if and only if I was already very happy with the product.

I walked away from Princess several years ago when I was getting to be fairly high status and can't say I really missed the perks, other than the internet minutes. (And the line I cruise with the most now has very reasonable prices for that anyway.)

Itinerary is a far bigger thing for me than anything else. HAL has some nice itineraries -- although there are often similar alternatives if one looks beyond the mass market lines. I find myself more in sympathy with those who feel they can't find a specific itinerary elsewhere as a reason for staying with HAL (rather than perks).

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks for the answers re: perks for Mariners. I guess for the way I tend to travel, none of them would be enough to keep me wedded to a particular line. I agree that a few would be nice additions, but if and only if I was already very happy with the product.

I walked away from Princess several years ago when I was getting to be fairly high status and can't say I really missed the perks, other than the internet minutes. (And the line I cruise with the most now has very reasonable prices for that anyway.)

Just speaking for myself if I don't enjoy the product the perks aren't keeping me there. I'm wondering if people would stick with a line they don't like just for perks.

Just speaking for myself if I don't enjoy the product the perks aren't keeping me there. I'm wondering if people would stick with a line they don't like just for perks.

I'm guessing not, but it may be harder for them to walk away if they feel they've invested a lot in achieving a certain level -- so they may give that line an additional chance or two or three before bailing.

I'm guessing not, but it may be harder for them to walk away if they feel they've invested a lot in achieving a certain level -- so they may give that line an additional chance or two or three before bailing.

Well HAL could change their smoking policy to let 4 and 5 star mariners smoke on the verandahs for free and everyone else has to pay a fee to smoke on the verandahs.

Could be a start, reinforcing cruise often and you get the benefits, revenue generation until they finally ban all verandah smoking.

Well HAL could change their smoking policy to let 4 and 5 star mariners smoke on the verandahs for free and neveryone else has to pay a fee to smoke on the verandahs.

Could be a start, reinforcing cruise often and you get the benefits, revenue generation until they finally ban all verandah smoking.

Not a bad idea....as long as the fee gets paid to the neighboring passengers, not HAL.

I'm booked on the Eurodam to Alaska next year. I have an aft balcony. I smoke and hope the smoke blows behind the ship. I don't wish to bother another balcony if they don't smoke. My question is : Does the Eurodam have any dedicated smoking areas out of the weather? On the Dream, and especially the Serenade, there were very comfortable places to smoke. Does the Eurodam have the same?

I'm booked on the Eurodam to Alaska next year. I have an aft balcony. I smoke and hope the smoke blows behind the ship. I don't wish to bother another balcony if they don't smoke. My question is : Does the Eurodam have any dedicated smoking areas out of the weather? On the Dream, and especially the Serenade, there were very comfortable places to smoke. Does the Eurodam have the same?

Believe only the Noordam has an exclusive inside smoking room, the "Oak Room" I could be wrong about which ship though. Exclusive HAL smoking rooms---See post #3329 also:

http://www.shipdetective.com/ships/smoking_policies.htm

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-2/articles.cfm?ID=225

Deliver42 it is nice of you to be considerate about hunting smoking areas. My husband used to smoke and he did the same. I have chronic respiratory issues and I am so pleased that others who smoke consider those who don't or those who might have health issues. We are on the back of the ship with our next cruise and I am afraid we will be right where the smoke comes back but maybe not.....might have some nice cabin neighbors like you

My question is : Does the Eurodam have any dedicated smoking areas out of the weather?

The Lido aft outdoor area is sheltered from the elements. There's an overhang to keep the rain off, and windows along the side to keep the wind off you.

The smoking area on the Lido deck is a joke during inclement weather. The cover is a tarp that leaks badly when it rains.

:confused:Not on any ship that I've been on. It is next to the Seaview Bar at the aft Lido, solid roof and sides.

My observation is the same as Lizzie's.

Which ship did you find different, wannagonow? When?

The smoking area on the Lido deck is a joke during inclement weather. The cover is a tarp that leaks badly when it rains.

I agree with you!!

No protection from the freezing cold, the rain/snow, etc......

And yes, the moisture gets through the canvas top. No matter how much the canvas top looks waterproof, just like any canvas tent, moisture eventually finds an opening. Now that's just from the top. The Plexiglas on one side does nothing to stop the cold.

I've attached a few photos from the Westerdam showing not only the canvas tarp overhead, but how little the actual superstructure protects. Basically the superstructure ends at the edge of the bar stools at the Sea View Bar.

People who do not spend much time on this section of the ship do not realize the type of covering there is.

This is the same covering on Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Nieuw Amsterdam. I would imagine it is the same on Eurodam.

Westerdam-Seaview-Pool-Area_2.jpg.66db44953d0cb8e4771e65aa592095c3.jpg

Joanie

Westerdam_Aft-Lido-Pool-1.jpg.dca8b2bb6a596a1aafa2d7ad201cd6c2.jpg

Westerdam_Lido-Aft-Pool-Sign-2.jpg.657f0ba1067f2262f485e47590c0cb40.jpg

Westerdam_Aft-Lido-Pool-2.jpg.742cf9db522ed4a41780aaf6da64c66b.jpg

Wannagonow, it's hard to see in the pictures, as they are focused on the tarp area, and the solid overhead is closer to the doors to the Lido. But if you look closely (it's dark in there in the pictures, but try), you should see that there is a solid cover over the inner portion of the smoking area.

I tend to go in/out on the smoking side as I am on a scooter, and need help with one set of doors. I can always count on there being traffic on that side of the ship.

Come on. "Leaks badly?" I've never seen those covers leaking, let alone "badly."

LOL, Try being out there when it is raining fairly heavily and you will. Been There, Done That and hate it...But it is one of the 2 outside public areas that we can smoke in.

Joanie

Come on. "Leaks badly?" I've never seen those covers leaking, let alone "badly."

I am not a smoker and do not enjoy walking by there when a crowd is smoking BUT I have to agree that some of them are in need of repairs. On our last Zuiderdam cruise (January 2016) one of these tarps had a hole in it the size of a basketball hoop :eek: It was in fact making so much noise flapping around that after a few days they took down the entire tarp and never replaced it for the duration of the cruise.