Why Diamond + ?

With RCCL going to better perks for suites and the lofty Pinnacles what are we royal loyals getting as perks for D+? I do think we should get something other than an upgraded amenity. No longer allowed into the newly renamed from Concierge to Suite Lounge - what do D+ members get that a Diamond member gets. We have been excluded from the CL as new D members. Now it looks like we are going to be excluded from the renamed Suite Lounge. I am not happy.

This looks like a slow roll out of a down grade for many of us.

Well as a lowly diamond, I am not sure I am qualified to speak on this thread...

What exactly do you want?

Suites pay a lot each cruise, no matter their C&A status. Pinnacles are mostly people who are retired and have nothing else to do... Diamond pluses are usually close to retirement or fairly affluent... so if close to retirement, what else do you want to do, start over with another cruiseline? if affluent, why worry about measly perks you can afford to splurge.

just sayin

jc

Think of Diamond+ as a firewall for the Diamonds. As C&A Society membership grows and grows, regular Diamonds are very likely to lose more of their perks, especially access to lounges.

So making Diamond+ will preserve, temporarily, the life you've become accustomed to.

We've been D+ for a few years and love the CL. Sorry to see that it seems to be going away. But to be honest, we aren't D+ to be D+, we are D+ because we love the product that Royal Caribbean delivers. So we cruise Royal Caribbean over other cruise lines. If they kick us out of the CL. we'll go to the Diamond Lounge. But if you're only cruising Royal Caribbean to get entry to the CL, then maybe you need to try another cruise line. I did Celebrity last Nov. and I enjoyed it, but not nearly like Royal Caribbean. And we had Elite perks. I have done Carnival, NCL, and Princess. There is a reason we reached D+ on Royal Caribbean. We just like it better.

Edited by papaflamingo

Diamond plus still get two for one specialty restaurants on the first night, and free laundry.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

Plus, an extra selected amenity (or 2) at specific point levels, bridge/galley/ice studio/theater tours, meal with an officer., and greater balcony discount.

As others have said, we cruise RCI for the product, not for greater perks than Daimond level passengers.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I, too, am speaking as a lowly Diamond but now that almost all ships have a dedicated DL, I don't see what difference it makes. All other D+ perks remain the same. While I've not experienced it personally, I've read posts from suite dwellers complaining about the attitude of D+ members who congregate in the CL for the entire cocktail hour making derogatory remarks to suite dwellers who they feel have not really earned the privilege of being there.

The CL was originally for suites and when Ds were first kicked out (shortly before we became D), I knew it was only a matter of time before the D+s would follow. This is just a bit classier way of doing it - just eliminate the CL completely and change the name. For me, I'm just as pleased to have the drink vouchers to use where I please and avoid the crowds.

Well as a lowly diamond, I am not sure I am qualified to speak on this thread...

What exactly do you want?

Suites pay a lot each cruise, no matter their C&A status. Pinnacles are mostly people who are retired and have nothing else to do... Diamond pluses are usually close to retirement or fairly affluent... so if close to retirement, what else do you want to do, start over with another cruiseline? if affluent, why worry about measly perks you can afford to splurge.

just sayin

jc

+1

As near Diamond member, I love the product Royal offers. The perks they offer are just that, perks. I cruise because of the product, not the perks they give me.

With RCCL going to better perks for suites and the lofty Pinnacles what are we royal loyals getting as perks for D+? I do think we should get something other than an upgraded amenity. No longer allowed into the newly renamed from Concierge to Suite Lounge - what do D+ members get that a Diamond member gets. We have been excluded from the CL as new D members. Now it looks like we are going to be excluded from the renamed Suite Lounge. I am not happy.

You also get a nice discount when you book a cabin with a balcony. You don't get this perk in Celebrity. BTW, on our last cruise on the Adv. we liked the DL better than the CL. I don't understand why so many are upset about this. You are getting a balcony discount, a lounge, some free laundry, some free internet and other discounts coupons. I appreciate everything RCCL gives us.

We are frequent suite guests and the only reason we book suites with Royal is for the real estate, RCCL suite perks are the worst. IMHO Royal wants some loyalty from their suite guests. They have seen loyal cruisers, like me, moving to Celebrity and other cruise lines. Wouldn't be surprised if they are getting negative feedback from first time suite cruisers. As a D+ I don't mind a crowded CL, but if I didn't have the DL option it will be a different story.

Happy cruising everyone!! We have teenagers and only cruise during school vacations. We had to choose between Celebrity's Equinox and the Allure for our summer cruise. Celebrity's new suite perks was one of the main reasons for choosing the Equinox. Will go back to Royal in the winter.

You also get a nice discount when you book a cabin with a balcony. You don't get this perk in Celebrity. BTW, on our last cruise on the Adv. we liked the DL better than the CL. I don't understand why so many are upset about this. You are getting a balcony discount, a lounge, some free laundry, some free internet and other discounts coupons. I appreciate everything RCCL gives us.

We are frequent suite guests and the only reason we book suites with Royal is for the real estate, RCCL suite perks are the worst. IMHO Royal wants some loyalty from their suite guests. They have seen loyal cruisers, like me, moving to Celebrity and other cruise lines. Wouldn't be surprised if they are getting negative feedback from first time suite cruisers. As a D+ I don't mind a crowded CL, but if I didn't have the DL option it will be a different story.

Happy cruising everyone!! We have teenagers and only cruise during school vacations. We had to choose between Celebrity's Equinox and the Allure for our summer cruise. Celebrity's new suite perks was one of the main reasons for choosing the Equinox. Will go back to Royal in the winter.

We actually like both Celebrity and RC. We sail on both- diamond members on Royal, Elite plus on Celebrity We enjoy the reciprocity between the lines. Sometimes we feel like RC and sometimes Celebrity. If we can afford on a particular cruise surely prefer suites! Now Celebrity has additional special perks for those sailing in the top three levels of suites by adding Michaels Club, also a special lounge for those guests. But you pay dearly for those suites. I am just happy to sail in any balcony and up cabin! So we pay additional if we want special items- still saved enough money for another cruise by paying for these items.

Edited by Cruise a holic

What does it matter where you sit when you have your drinks? Be it the DL, CL, or, take your 3 drink vouchers anywhere you like.

I, too, am speaking as a lowly Diamond but now that almost all ships have a dedicated DL, I don't see what difference it makes. All other D+ perks remain the same. While I've not experienced it personally, I've read posts from suite dwellers complaining about the attitude of D+ members who congregate in the CL for the entire cocktail hour making derogatory remarks to suite dwellers who they feel have not really earned the privilege of being there.

The CL was originally for suites and when Ds were first kicked out (shortly before we became D), I knew it was only a matter of time before the D+s would follow. This is just a bit classier way of doing it - just eliminate the CL completely and change the name. For me, I'm just as pleased to have the drink vouchers to use where I please and avoid the crowds.

I agree. We just finished our first cruise with the voucher program in place and I really like it. I always avoid the CL at peak times and really liked being able to have a drink where ever it suited me. For us it was usually the Schooner bar where we could have a drink and trivia at the same time.

Other then the name CL versus DL, what is the difference, if Royal decides that the "former" CL will now be the Suite Lounge, it is a decision made to please the persons who have purchased the most expensive cabins on the ship.

It will not matter to us if we enjoy happy hour in the "D" lounge, or in one of the bars using the 3 drink coupons per day.

All of the other D+ coupons/benefits are still in place, the only real change will be the location that you will have a free drink.

Quite happy to use the DL or CL as long as we get our drinks ;) We are also happy with the other extra benefits we get as D+. The one disappointment is that they've now made the internet minutes the same for D and D+ - that benefit really can't cost them much and an extra 30 minutes would just be one little extra perk which we would appreciate having back.

Edited by Bobal

What does it matter where you sit when you have your drinks? Be it the DL, CL, or, take your 3 drink vouchers anywhere you like.

We are not "bar" people. We enjoy a place to sit, relax, meet new people and make new friends.

Yes, I will be the contrarian. The perks are important. The perks are part of the product. As D+, we have chosen to give our loyalty to RCCL. In general, to reach D+ (without being in a suite), you need to have sailed about 25 weeks with RCCL.

Sorry, but I expect some loyalty back in return.

I was also going to point that out.

Looking at a booking we have for next fall, our D+ balcony discount is $250.

That seems like a lot.

More than what I would spend on the drinks.

I love the lounges as an extra, but $250 is a lot.

Do we all forget that small part?

We are not "bar" people. We enjoy a place to sit, relax, meet new people and make new friends.

Yes, I will be the contrarian. The perks are important. The perks are part of the product. As D+, we have chosen to give our loyalty to RCCL. In general, to reach D+ (without being in a suite), you need to have sailed about 25 weeks with RCCL.

Sorry, but I expect some loyalty back in return.

But what perk has been taken away other than physical location? If anything, the 3 drink vouchers are an addition to existing perks.:confused:

We've been D+ since 2009 and we are still pretty pleased with the perks. It doesn't matter to us, CL or DL, we are happy with either, whichever one we use seems to be based on the ambience of that particular cruise. We enjoy all of the perks, not just the lounges.

I was surprised on our last cruise to hear a small group of Pinnacles ( I knew they were pinnacles as they always wore their pin) complaining rather loudly about some of the suite people and other issues involving how they did not feel their Pinnacle status was being properly recognized anymore. :D We are over the half-way point to Pinnacle but I told my husband I feel like I am approaching a club I'm not sure I want to be a member of.:D

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

How does anyone know how much time a person spends in the lounge unless they spend the entire time there too. Also I am perplexed how anyone can immediately know of the accommodations or status of others they meet. Luckily, the limited time we spend in the CL of DL, we've NEVER experienced any turf wars between folks of a particular accommodation and folks of a particular loyalty status. Those who are D+ and in a suite must have as identity crisis. Now, we have upon occasion, felt like the CL concierge did not want those who were not in a suite (or pinnacle) in the lounge.

Please don't believe every horror story you read about D+/P/ suite wars.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

But what perk has been taken away other than physical location? If anything, the 3 drink vouchers are an addition to existing perks.:confused:

If (and I say if) D and D+ are lumped together in a single lounge, over crowding will become a reality.

RCL is a victim of it's own success. They made it too easy to reach their tiers and the numbers bear that out. D+ is not hard to reach and is an over crowded tier. It's time for RCL to rethink their tiers and what numbers of nights or cruises it will take to get there.

There's nothing special when you're the largest group on board and can't use your perks because of crowding.

That's our feeling also. We're often with friends (old or new) that are not D/D+ and wish to enjoy cocktail hour with them. Even on our own, its nice to be able to pick from MANY different venues each evening to enjoy the perk of free cocktail hour(s) rather than heading off to the same place every single evening.

Firstly- two for one specialty on first night can be had by anybody on the ship no matter your status. It is offered to anyone.

Secondly, D+ is not easy to reach if you only cruise once or twice a year, I know it took us 6 years to reach Diamond on the old system and we mainly did that for the D lounge and all it offers and the swell discount on cabins. Any other perks were just gravy. We are in no hurry now to reach D+ which can only offer us another $25 on discount (no big deal) and the CL which has no windows on most ships and we prefer the DL anyway...if that goes why should we worry about getting to plus? When we do, it will have taken us another 6 years of twice a year cruising. Another 32 points which will be accrued by 2017 with 3 scheduled now(we'll need at least 2 more) By then who knows what they'll still be offering. Forget Pinnacle, I'll be dead first~!

Not a priority any more. More likely we may elect to slow the trips down and do a suite which we have never afforded yet.

Edited by BecciBoo