Celebrity needs to rethink upgrades

KKB

Recently someone posted that they had been upgraded from their interior to a balcony. (good for them!)

It is too bad that Celebrity is doing this...TWO category upgrade?

We were upgraded from an Interior GTY to an OV our 1st cruise (Princess) and were THRILLED. Wouldn't we all be thrilled with an upgrade of just one category?

How about give MORE people upgrades by ONE category? Yes, it would require a bit more shuffling BUT it is a MUCH better PR move--more passengers coming in feeling they have gotten something special...

JMO...

Recently someone posted that they had been upgraded from their interior to a balcony. (good for them!)

We were upgraded from an Interior GTY to an OV our 1st cruise (Princess) and were THRILLED. Wouldn't we all be thrilled with an upgrade of just one category?

How about give MORE people upgrades by ONE category? Yes, it would require a bit more shuffling BUT it is a MUCH better PR move--more passengers coming in feeling they have gotten something special...

JMO...

I for one would often not be happy with a 1 category upgrade. If I had booked a 1A would not be happy with a C3; often book A2 as we prefer aft cabins so wouldn't be happy with a forward A1 under the gym. In order not to move someone who doesn't want to be moved would require contacting folks, waiting for a reply, etc.

Nice idea but unlikely.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should expect to be "happy" staying in whatever category they booked and payed for...

When ships fill up--which is what the cruise lines would all prefer, they have no need to upgrade anyone...Upgrades only happen when they can't sell all their cabins...or where sales in lower categories are brisk and they aren't moving those higher categories so they need to free up more salable cabins.

But, on those occasions, what I'd much rather have them do is to reward passengers based on their levels in the loyalty programs--not first-time cruisers. I always hear about first time cruisers getting a choice upgrade and think "what about me?" OTOH, I know that if I want a Suite, I should book a suite...if I want a balcony, book a balcony...If I'm going to book an inside--be prepared to be happy with that inside...

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should expect to be "happy" staying in whatever category they booked and payed for...

When ships fill up--which is what the cruise lines would all prefer, they have no need to upgrade anyone...Upgrades only happen when they can't sell all their cabins...or where sales in lower categories are brisk and they aren't moving those higher categories so they need to free up more salable cabins.

But, on those occasions, what I'd much rather have them do is to reward passengers based on their levels in the loyalty programs--not first-time cruisers. I always hear about first time cruisers getting a choice upgrade and think "what about me?" OTOH, I know that if I want a Suite, I should book a suite...if I want a balcony, book a balcony...If I'm going to book an inside--be prepared to be happy with that inside...

My son and his wife booked an inside cabin on a Thanksgiving week cruise on the Summit and got upgraded to a C2 and their not even Captain Club members. I'm wondering "what about me" I've an Elite member and never gotten any kind of upgrade.

J.

I haven't been upgraded on X and I'm Elite Plus. But the first time I booked on Carnival in a balcony GTY I was upgraded to a suite. And the first time I sailed on HAL I was booked in a balcony (not a GTY) and was upgraded to a suite. Perhaps two experiences are too little data to support a conclusion....but it seems to me the upgrades were given to new sailors.

jsf - I have cruised lots of times on X and RCCL and never been upgraded. I think the best way to look at it is to be happy for those that received an upgrade and not jealous. Seems most of my cruises are fully booked or very close to it and thus little room to upgrade.

What would be interesting is if Celebrity would come forward and tell us some sort of numbers for upgrades. I suspect that those newer cruisers talk about the upgrades more - generally few CC posts - and those who are old-timers do not.

Also interesting will be upgrades on Caribbean cruises with cancellations from Zika. Lots of calls to our local TA who is small and about half of them cancelling or delaying travel. What is that going to mean to the industry in general as Zika is going to spread and was endemic in the southern USA some 50 years ago.

Amen! My philosophy has always been "Book the cabin (or room in a hotel) that you will be happy with."

IF an upgrade happens, great.

But it would never occur to me to book a low category and then hope (or use "events" to try to get one) for an upgrade. That's setting yourself up for disappointment when it doesn't happen.

(And honestly, sometimes their idea of an upgrade isn't for me. Example: last year I went on the Disney Fantasy. I LOVE their 8B ocean view cabins, specifically the ones at the front of the ship (love front, hate middle, never stayed aft mainly because I LOVE the motion you tend to feel in the front of the ship - and 8B is on the 9th deck, so high up) - but I played around with different cabin categories and by the time I decided to go back to 8B it was in a GTY status. I changed to the 8B GTY hoping against hope I might get assigned one of my preferred cabins and someone in one of those moved, but willing to accept where they put me as part of the deal. Well, I got my cabin assignment, and I forget their category name and number, but it was on Deck 5 pretty darn close to midship with an extended balcony. I am in the vast minority, but that was NOT a great cabin for me - and to my mind not an upgrade though by category type, etc. it was. I know people would kill for that location and stateroom though, and I knew it could happen when I took a GTY category. I also learned from that to pick the category and cabin I want, mark it "Do Not Upgrade", and hope for the best - not play around with different categories unless I'm positive I'm going to stay in the newly chosen one.)

We book the cabin we want in the beginning. This year we have an aft facing balcony. Would not be happy if they changed my room. The only time I got an upgrade was on Costa. Which we weren't happy about because we were traveling with family and we were all in close rooms but they moved us to another floor. Found out it was because our original cabin was flooded with sewage. Last year I was able to switch us from an aft facing cabin to a mini suite on NCL. The rest of my family was jealous of my bathtub and walk in closet.

Same thing with the 2C "sweet-sixteen" cabins, on the M-Class ships. A couple of times, we've booked early -- just to get one of those "corner" cabins (6030/6035). I'd be very irritated to find that I'd been "upgraded" to a 1A cabin, with a regular balcony and mediocre view! :eek:

A one category upgrade might be the least desired upgrade of all. Give me the Penthouse or above or give me steerage. As for Carnival, there seems to be a way to get 10 to 20 category upgrade without even blinking.

Edited by neverbeenhere

Suspect to large extent these upgrades are an attempt by X to circumvent their no late discounting policy (yeah, I know it happens anyway). Instead of discounting a balcony just upgrade someone in inside cabin to a balcony and then re-sell the inside. That way they fill an empty cabin albeit at the low inside rate while leaving posted balcony prices intact.

On our second Disney cruise, they upgraded us (no charge) from a Concierge Family to a Concierge 1-bedroom. Smart marketing strategy for them, as we have since booked nothing but 1-bedrooms since. Smart for them. They worked their magic on us! Cruise lines know what they are doing. Why upgrade someone who historically opts for a "lesser" cabin?

In 25 cruises with Princess, we have NEVER been upgraded. OP, you were lucky you got upgraded. That is always Princess' policy (even though they say it isn't in the media) - to upgrade newbies. It absolutely drives me crazy that they reward the newbies instead of the Elites.

I guess coming from that, I don't expect Celebrity to do anything different. I paid for an upgrade with them at a reduced cost, but nothing free so far. These cruise lines need to reward their loyal followers.

First, to be clear, I book what I am happy with at the time and if I don't get upgraded I get what I paid for.

That said, when I hear about others upgrades it always does annoy me that they seem to go exclusively to new cruisers. In my 25+ cruises I have never been upgraded, nor even offered one for a price. I understand the reasoning about trying to WOW the new, uninformed folks into thinking this might be something that happens often (as if), or to show them nicer accommodations thinking they will book those more often. Well, guess what, the latter might apply to me as well. Once I started cruising in balconies (I started on X way back when ships did not even have them!), it is rare that I would book without one now. Once I experienced AQ, we have always preferred that going forward (although I confess with the new price structure we are being priced out of that category sadly). Are these new cruisers they are trying to impress going to book more than 25 cruises going forward like I have? Somehow I doubt it - IMHO today's young folks (X's current target market) are more likely to jump line to line experimenting. Loyalty and love of tradition is dying out along with my generation and older.

I still contend also that a nice upgrade, when available, would be a good perk to add to Elite+ as that category really offered little more than Elite when implemented (and both Elite and Elite+ lost alot of value with the addition of drink packages). It would also be a nice perk for the 'wish it would happen but I doubt it' fantasy level between Elite+ and Zenith.

Oh well. Got that off my chest:D. First world problems for sure, and I still feel very blessed to be healthy and wealthy enough to be cruising at all.

I still contend also that a nice upgrade, when available, would be a good perk to add to Elite+ as that category really offered little more than Elite when implemented (and both Elite and Elite+ lost alot of value with the addition of drink packages). It would also be a nice perk for the 'wish it would happen but I doubt it' fantasy level between Elite+ and Zenith.

Agree completely.

JMO...

This recent post the person had booked an interior guarantee. It is easier to put them in a balcony right away rather than start moving around other guarantees. They will not 'upgrade' someone with a specific cabin number without contacting them. This is a much longer and complex process than just re-assigning guarantees.

To me this is a way for X to not reduce prices. Just keep selling interior guarantees..........

In 25 cruises with Princess, we have NEVER been upgraded. OP, you were lucky you got upgraded. That is always Princess' policy (even though they say it isn't in the media) - to upgrade newbies. It absolutely drives me crazy that they reward the newbies instead of the Elites.

I guess coming from that, I don't expect Celebrity to do anything different. I paid for an upgrade with them at a reduced cost, but nothing free so far. These cruise lines need to reward their loyal followers.

I was a Newbie on Norwegian Escape and got upgraded from a family ocean view to a mini suite for $200 for 3 pax. Funny thing is it didn't help me pick Norwegian again.

I picked X because I didn't like the Norwegian "everything through abc is included but not d through z".

I liked the Celebrity "go best" inclusive approach, although I did like the Escape for multigenerational families for all there was to do.

Agree w/you that upgrades are better marketed to loyal pax as part of a repeat biz strategy. Doesn't seem like the loyalty programs get you much.

Consider:

1. To get an upgrade there must be a higher category cabin available.

2. Guarantees are given unassigned cabins at the level of the guarantee or above.

3. Upgrades are useful in opening lower priced cabins to new sales. (Everyone wants a deal and were afraid to book early and miss the deal.)

4. Popular dates and itineraries fill up without offering discounts or price manipulations.

5. This one is gut feeling: the more mass market the cruise line, the more free upgrades.

A frequent cruiser who is upgraded, is still a frequent cruiser. A new cruiser who is upgraded may become a frequent cruiser. Which scenario do you think =X= would prefer?

You hit the nail on the head! Why on earth would Celebrity upgrade only frequent cruisers. They are coming back anyways. With an upgrade a new cruiser might be encouraged to come back again. I wouldn't be surprised if Celebrity selected the new cruisers who get upgrades by their age and their zip code's average income.;)

Looking at it another way. A drug dealer does not give free samples to his loyal customers. He gives them out to make new customers and get them to become loyal customers. Different products but the same marketing strategy.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I was very happy with my upgrade & I never expect one.

I am not jealous about others' upgrades. (OK, maybe a TAD:rolleyes:)

When I said one category, I don't mean from a balcony to a balcony (i.e. A1 to C1--that's just vocabulary to me). I mean Int to OV, OV to BAL, BAL to suite.

I agree that by NO means did our upgrade sell us on cruising. And we have sailed interiors several times, no problem.

My thought is that by offering more people smaller upgrades you make more people happy...I owned a business. Most of your business comes from a small percentage (varies) of repeat customers--THOSE are the ones you should be taking care of.

Edited by KKB

You hit the nail on the head! Why on earth would Celebrity upgrade only frequent cruisers. They are coming back anyways. With an upgrade a new cruiser might be encouraged to come back again. I wouldn't be surprised if Celebrity selected the new cruisers who get upgrades by their age and their zip code's average income.;)

Looking at it another way. A drug dealer does not give free samples to his loyal customers. He gives them out to make new customers and get them to become loyal customers. Different products but the same marketing strategy.

I sometimes get perturbed when the "loyals" don't feel they are getting enough for their loyalty. We have sailed approximately 15 times, and because we like variety in itineraries, style of cruising, pricing, etc. we have sailed on 6 different lines. However, a number of them have been within the same corporate family, but that doesn't do us any good yet. We will continue to use this philosophy for cruising and when we finally get to any kind of a status that gives us a little bit of a benefit on whatever line it is, so be it. It most likely won't affect our decision to continue to sail on multiple lines as we will never reach the really top status levels anyway. I envy those cruisers who have built up some kind of status, but I don't lament my decision to experience variety.

Edited by clojacks

What about this idea? WHEN Celebrity gets a relieble website.......they add a new header within your speciific "manage cruise" area. Make it active, say 60 days from cruise date. List possible upgrades to your specific cabin situation AND specific upcharges. Automate the whole thing. That way Celebrity gets their extra revenue, the passengers get their upgrade offers and Celebrity gets us to do the work! Maybe you would be allowed to do this only once per cruise. Just a thought.......discuss.

My son and his wife booked an inside cabin on a Thanksgiving week cruise on the Summit and got upgraded to a C2 and their not even Captain Club members. I'm wondering "what about me" I've an Elite member and never gotten any kind of upgrade.

J.

Right there with ya. Were you on that cruise with your son?