For frequent cruisers - How do you feel about loyalty to one cruiseline

tbmrt

We live in FL and have been cruising from FL ports for quite a few years now, mostly for the ports.

We cruised on the same ship, Celebrity Equinox which was lovely, two years in a row with different ports. However, we found that the second year it was a bit "same old/same old" with regard to the entertainment, menus, bars, pools, etc.

We are cruising on the Oasis this year, mainly for the ship/not the ports.

Probably will cruise next year for the ship again, rather than the ports. Wondering if we should switch to a larger ship with NCL or another line from FL.

Do any of you who cruise mainly for the ship feel the need to switch between cruiselines for something "different"?

Each to their own.

But we sail for itinerary & price. And with exceptions and allowances the ship or cruise line make little difference, other than a fresh experience.

There are loyalty bonuses, but they seem to be mainly trivial little freebies. P&O/Princess freebie wi-fi is a worthwhile frequent-cruiser bonus -but hardly a deal-maker.

JB :)

Like NavyBanker, I have a cruise line I prefer, but it's not an either or situation.

I know when I want to go, I know where I want to go. Does my preferred cruise line have these options available? If not, which cruise line does?

We have no loyalty whatsoever. What I have found is that for us none provide loyalty perks that entice me to stick with one particular line. Also, if we stuck with one it would limit our itinerary options and options for ports of departure. We also like not having the same type of cruise every time. I don't want to eat the same boarding day lunch every time or know that if its Tuesday, that means lobster night! :p

We have friends that stick to one line because they like the predictability but I don't.

We have sailed Celebrity, Carnival, Royal and Norwegian.

I usually go for the itinerary I like, the time of year it is available, and then I also consider what the ship has to offer (regardless of what cruise line it is). There are certain things we like about certain cruise lines, but I have been on 15 cruises on 6 different cruise lines and have never been disappointed. That being said, I think you will love the Oasis of the Seas. We have been on the Allure of the Seas twice and it is a fabulous ship with so much going on.

Sometimes, you just have to leave the sweet spot of your comfort zone. We usually cruise for the itineraries. We also like the familiarity of sticking to the same cruise lines and ships we have enjoyed so far.

However, we will be on our first HAL cruise in August. We figured it will give us that new cruise line/ship experience we are looking for, as well as a fantastic itinerary!

Cruising is a great way to travel. Enjoy!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm not a loyalist at all. The three things that matter most to me (probably in this order) are: itinerary/timing; size of ship; and overall cost (e.g., factoring in the single supplement, cost of what's included vs. not included, etc.). I gravitate toward certain lines because they are more apt to offer what I'm looking for in terms of destinations and experiences, not due to loyalty.

In reality, I'm almost completely itinerary driven. Other than the really huge ships, I'd sail on just about any ship that was offering a unique itinerary that appealed to me.

Edited by cruisemom42

I suspect that all my cruises will be with the same line, not because there's a loyalty program I like (I don't cruise nearly enough to take advantage of it), but because they provide a great product at a great value for me (a solo passenger). Itinerary and ship are most important for me, as I want mostly sea days with very few ports, though I can be swayed by a bargain.

When I want something different, I choose a land vacation - I cruise for the calm relaxing feeling I get when I'm in the middle of the ocean (but with cocktails and good food).

We've only cruised 6 times with 2 more scheduled in the next year. We are pretty happy with Royal so far but that doesn't mean we will sail everything with them. We will look at ports and price and are willing to try other lines to see what if any differences they are to us. We are just happy to be able to cruise and enjoy the simple things so we don't get caught up in all the bells and whistles and try to do everything offered in the days activities. :cool:

We sail almost exclusively out of Southern California, variations of the same itin. For a long time Carnival was the only one here as everyone else left us in the recession. We view our cruises in the same light as others have a vacation home or going to the river.

DH works long and hard so the familiarity of 'same old/same old' allows him to relax quickly. We're usually onboard 90 minutes after leaving home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Itinerary, Total Fare ,then Ship in that order, for us.

Sometimes the Total Fare is influenced by repeater level though :rolleyes:.

We enjoy the difference ship experiences and if you cruise enough , you gradually elevate repeater level on multiple cruise lines anyway.

No loyalty here. Each vacation has a different set of things we are looking for out of that vacation. It can vary from the fitting into our vacation schedule (usually number 1 factor), embarkation port, itinerary, the ship itself, the cruise line IF we have a FCC to use before expiration, and price (usually last factor in comparing the ships that meet all other factors). We do have preferences but are willing to try any line that best fits all of our wants.

Do any of you who cruise mainly for the ship feel the need to switch between cruiselines for something "different"?

Never! I sail Cunard and Cunard only for the ships. I am not a huge visit every port type of passenger and look forward to the ship as the experience. As Cunard offers the very best in formality in the tradition of an English country house, it is my go to line. Took a full world cruise once solely for the pleasure of 54 formal evenings and gracious afternoon tea and nightly dancing in the marvelous Queens Room which can be found on all three of their ships.

We l have enjoyed different lines. Sometimes for the ship and sometimes for port. We are not loyal to any line.

Your statement about the Oasis is right on. The Allure and Oasis are destinations on their own. Ports were not important to us when we sailed.

You will have a great time on the Oasis. :)

We currently have the Silhouette booked with great perks but are looking at switching to the Harmony. Then again if we choose the Anthem, we do not have to fly...Decisions Decisions.

I've cruised a few lines. I don't have loyalty to any of them, for the sake of loyalty, what I do have is a couple I prefer, if I've got the choice of two cruises similar itinerary, similar price, I will go with my preferred line.

I guess it's fair to say that the lines I've sailed so far I have ranked and the same applies to any of them, I will go with the line that we rank highest all else being equal.

We wouldn't like to be loyal to one line; we have been on one line more than others simply for the convenience of the embarkation port.

We're now looking at three lines with small, old ships but fantastic itineraries... OH had his rare Caribbean fix this year, so now it's Iceland for me! ;)

We have a couple of lines we prefer (actually 3) and bounce between them and 1 or 2 lines we've cruised on and will NOT sail with them again but barring those, we always end up on a cruise based on itinerary, price, date(s). We're top tier on 2 lines and one below the top tier on the 3rd, but personally, I don't think the perks anyone offers, though nice, are enough to make us choose one line over another. If we saw a cruise that the timing/price/itinerary appealed to us, even if we've never been on that line, we'd probably go on it, regardless of perks and/or loyalty level.

Since we prefer to cruise from the Northeast in the winter, we have limited options. That we prefer longer than one week cruises is even more limiting. Fortunately, we have top tier status on the line that matches our preferences best, so it's usually an easy decision. The perqs help too. They aren't a lot, but we miss them when they aren't available.

We up here in the Northeast do not have many choices.

Just a heads up. Princess offers a repo cruise at the end of October from NY to Fort Lauderdale, 10 nights. It is over Halloween every year.

There are many sea days and 3 ports of call. It is a wonderful cruise.

hi there

I pick for itinerary and price.

I have never considered the "ship" itself as something I would pay extra for. That's probably why I have never been on one the RCCL super duper ships, even though I have really enjoyed Royal in the past.

Perks are nice but for me I assess their value in considering the cost. Of course if you have to travel to get to port, travel cost will factor in to the final determination.

have a great day

As with most others I cruise for itinerary and price. Loyalty levels are a bonus. If Princess has the same itinerary and is close in price I will choose them as the free internet, laundry, etc are an added bonus. I am working my way through loyalty levels on RCI and Celebrity and am happy to receive any benefits but would not choose a cruise based on this.

There are too many different places to visit to limit yourself to revisiting the same place because you get loyalty benefits.

The exception here is South Pacific which is a relaxing quick cruise close to home, I imagine a bit like Carribean for US cruisers.

Loyalty works really well for us on Regent. At the Platinum level we enjoy complimentary unlimited wifi, 9 hours outgoing telephone time per segment, unlimited laundry service, daily newspaper from about a dozen choices, and no-fee air deviations. We have been truly spoiled by Regent's service as well, so you could call us "Regent Cheerleaders."