Solarium Pool on Harmony - GREAT NEWS!

The only RCI ship I've sailed so far, was the Oasis, and I was disappointed with the very small Solarium pool. Last night I looked at pictures of the Solarium pool on the Anthem. Wow! I could be quite happy with that on the Harmony! I hope they really are going to add a good sized pool to Harmony. Wonder if it's possible to have it finished in time for my Feb. 2017 cruise?

The only RCI ship I've sailed so far, was the Oasis, and I was disappointed with the very small Solarium pool. Last night I looked at pictures of the Solarium pool on the Anthem. Wow! I could be quite happy with that on the Harmony! I hope they really are going to add a good sized pool to Harmony. Wonder if it's possible to have it finished in time for my Feb. 2017 cruise?

Apparently the "adding pool later" was a joke from the OP husband.

The solarium doesn't have a pool and it's not going to get one later.

Bit confused as part of the solarium had a pool last week with a small part with chairs in the water but the solarium at the very back also had a tiered one but all roped off with no water, so pools are there.

So many folks seem to have missed this post which sounds like the pool is in place but not quite complete, and it sounds like a first hand account.

Also, the Solarium on Harmony OTS is greatly expanded over the Solarium areas on Oasis and Allure. A video I caught recently did show off some features adopted from Quantum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many folks seem to have missed this post which sounds like the pool is in place but not quite complete, and it sounds like a first hand account.

Also, the Solarium on Harmony OTS is greatly expanded over the Solarium areas on Oasis and Allure. A video I caught recently did show off some features adopted from Quantum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that post was referring to the misting area.

Saw a video of the solarium this morning and it does not have a solarium pool or a spot for a pool or a pool under construction...there is just no pool in the solarium and there isn't going to be one.

What in the world were they thinking????? :eek: I guess it doesn't really bother me as I don't plan to sail on the Harmony because it does not have a solarium pool. :(

Based on the terrarium heat in the Solarium area on Allure and Oasis, I don't care whether they have a pool or not, we won't be there. It's entirely too hot and most sitting areas are in the sun. Our answer is to just find another area to sit. I feel for those people who do enjoy the Solarium pool though, it just doesn't make sense to NOT have it!!! Even though we don't use it.......big mistake RCCL!:mad:

I'm sorry, but I can't understand why anyone would cancel their cruise just because there is no Solarium pool.

After being on the Anthem last week, I don't think I'll be happy with any other solarium ever again;) :eek:

We are pool people and love the solarium pools on cool weather cruises and bad weather days. If there wasn't an adult pool in these scenarios, we wouldn't go on the ship. The solarium area on the Anthem is amazing. In the Caribbean, we are generally outside on the deck above the main pool, as enclosed solarium are then too hot for us.

Edited by MommaBear55

There are multiple places on the Royal website where they mention a Solarium pool on Harmony, so I have to assume that they didn't just forget to add it. It's possible that the plumbing infrastructure for it is in place and they covered it with flooring to meet the launch date, in which case I could see them possibly being able to finish tiling it in without a drydock. Time will tell.

This along with the new decor and the changes to the loft showers in the Crown Lofts are very disappointing to us.

However, we will keep our 04/2017 booking as we got a great price for a L1 Crown Loft, $4651.

Hopefully they will keep the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen perks the same as the Allure and Oasis.

Hi John. We met you and Sandy on Oasis last October. Hope all is well with you guys. What did they do to the CLS showers?

There are multiple places on the Royal website where they mention a Solarium pool on Harmony, so I have to assume that they didn't just forget to add it. It's possible that the plumbing infrastructure for it is in place and they covered it with flooring to meet the launch date, in which case I could see them possibly being able to finish tiling it in without a drydock. Time will tell.

Kevink, I certainly hope your hypothesis is correct. I love the Solarium but can not image enjoying it in the Caribbean without the pool to cool you down.

Hi John. We met you and Sandy on Oasis last October. Hope all is well with you guys. What did they do to the CLS showers?

Hi Gregg,

They changed the large upstairs shower. It now has a bath tub and shower combo. Same as the Grand Suite.

We are sailing on the Allure tomorrow. Have 9 future cruises booked on the Oasis, maybe we will meet again.

Dates booked.

8/27/16--10/8/16--12/18/16--1/15/17--6/4/17--9/3/17--10/15/17

1/21/18--4/15/17.

Harmony--4/22/17.

Hi Gregg,

They changed the large upstairs shower. It now has a bath tub and shower combo. Same as the Grand Suite.

We are sailing on the Allure tomorrow. Have 9 future cruises booked on the Oasis, maybe we will meet again.

Dates booked.

8/27/16--10/8/16--12/18/16--1/15/17--6/4/17--9/3/17--10/15/17

1/21/18--4/15/17.

Harmony--4/22/17.

That doesn't sound like an improvement. We liked the oversized rain shower. It doesn't look like we're lined up with anything you're sailing right now but hope to meet you guys again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Having a pool that far forward would negatively affect the center of gravity of the ship.

While the addition of a pool forward would affect the center of gravity of the ship, its forward placement that you consider important would only affect the longitudinal (fore/aft) center of gravity, which might be a good thing, since most ships carry ballast or consumable liquids (water, fuel) forward to balance the weight of the engine room machinery and keep the ship level fore and aft. Also, the longitudinal center of gravity only affects the longitudinal stability, and this is almost never a crucial factor, as pitching is not considered a dangerous condition. Most ships do not roll over going down by the bow or stern.

The height of the pool, not its forward placement, will affect the transverse center of gravity, and hence the transverse stability as well, but this pool is not appreciably higher than the other pools, and there are large hot tubs in the area already. Since the pool would be small, the free-surface effect of the water in the pool would also not be that great.

Since there are kids zone spaces under the solarium area, I don't see any space for pool mechanical rooms, so just another nail in the supposed addition of a pool theory. Obviously, RCI's market research has shown that the loss of a solarium pool does not outweigh the benefits of whatever that space has added.

While the addition of a pool forward would affect the center of gravity of the ship, its forward placement that you consider important would only affect the longitudinal (fore/aft) center of gravity, which might be a good thing, since most ships carry ballast or consumable liquids (water, fuel) forward to balance the weight of the engine room machinery and keep the ship level fore and aft. Also, the longitudinal center of gravity only affects the longitudinal stability, and this is almost never a crucial factor, as pitching is not considered a dangerous condition. Most ships do not roll over going down by the bow or stern.

The height of the pool, not its forward placement, will affect the transverse center of gravity, and hence the transverse stability as well, but this pool is not appreciably higher than the other pools, and there are large hot tubs in the area already. Since the pool would be small, the free-surface effect of the water in the pool would also not be that great.

Since there are kids zone spaces under the solarium area, I don't see any space for pool mechanical rooms, so just another nail in the supposed addition of a pool theory. Obviously, RCI's market research has shown that the loss of a solarium pool does not outweigh the benefits of whatever that space has added.

Thanks once again for adding clarity and insight based on fact to posted comments - including mine! :)

Hi All,

I was on the Harmony all last week. I can totally confirm the so called solarium has no pool, only hot tubs.

Actually, the solarium area was one of my biggest disappointments. I sailed Quantum OTS last year, and thought the solarium was brilliant. I was hoping/expecting the solarium on Harmony to be the same, just bigger.... sorry to say, it is not.

No pool and actually very open, so if it rains or is windy, it's no good. Quantum is so much better, where the roof can open in areas.

As for adding a pool... I think this was a joke! There's NO WAY they are going to do this. It's a brand new ship...... if they wanted a pool in there, it would be there right now!

In the after cruise survey for the past 2 allure trips this year, my main complaint was the size of the solarium pool was too small, I guess they listened to my "valuable" comments.... :P

We've made the same comments after our cruises on Oasis and Allure.:rolleyes:

Edited by clarea