Dealing with Political Discussions On Board?

Smokeyham

As someone who travels all over the country and deals with folks with many different backgrounds and beliefs everyday....politics, religion and social issues are the three "NO GO" areas for me. :eek: This includes vacations and cruises. Now for a little good natured "discussion".....sports. (being a long suffering Mets fan its easy to get folks work up in the north east. :p)

I observed a few political discussions on our Oasis of the Seas cruise last October. So close to the election, I think it was on a lot of peoples minds. In general the discussions were quiet and friendly, however one group in the Rising Tide Bar that started off friendly got more obnoxious with each new round of drinks. We had to leave when they started pointing fingers.

I have found over the years that it's more often non US cruisers and tour operators who start these discussions out of curiosity. Just before Obama was elected, Sally and I took our mothers on a Fall colors cruise. Both mothers are close friends, but on the opposite spectrum of politics. The air got heavy as the Canadian tour operators brought up the subject.

That was wonderful cruise with great memories for all, but we leave our parents at home now. :D

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

I do not mind talking politics with people from other countries. I just won't talk politics with other Americans. I was in Canada on a sports trip when we were having all the issues with the Bush/Gore election. I found it fascinating to hear their input. In Rome, I had another good discussion with, again, a nice Canadian couple about Obama and I asked about the Albertan Conservative feelings vs the Trudeau premiership. I've had conversations lately with athlete friends from Russia...

American vs American - too many are too willing to get down in the gutter too fast...

I learned how to avoid discussions way back while on a business trip to London in April and May of 1973. Suddenly, being American, I was deemed to be the "expert" on the Watergate matter which exploded in the British news on May 1. (April 30, 1973 was the date that John Dean was fired by President Nixon and Haldeman and Erlichman resigned.)

I quickly took an "I don't know enough about the situation to really have any opinion" approach and changed to a "how about those Mets" referring to the World Series champion 1969 NY Mets and avoiding any discussions about how the Arsenal Gunners had their clock cleaned by Sunderland who scored a major upset in the British football (soccer) FA cup in 1973.

As someone said earlier, we always avoid any discussions about politics and religion and stay with generalities regarding sports.

When traveling in Great Britain during the Bush years, we were only asked once about our feelings about our President. We answered honestly. I think - and hope - that Europeans are more polite than we have any hope to expect.

Don't worry. And if you get questions, answer them honestly. It's a given in our country that we have an abundance of different opinions! It's one of our strengths.

I only learned on CC that talking about politics is considered impolite in the US, like asking about someone's income. It's a subject I'd certainly want to steer away from now, but I have discussed politics on ships a lot, and always only after my US (or Canadian) counterpart brought it up. IMHO those where much more interesting conversations than discussing the last port.

80% of our news is filled with US politics now. When a European asks you what you think about your current President, they don't mean to be rude but are just seeking a "real American" opinion or simply showing interest. It's a cultural difference I guess.

Unless you do want to express your views, just say that you don't want to talk politics on your vacation. After that, there's a golden opportunity to digress to a lighthearthed conversation on differences in culture starting with discussing politics as an example. To me, one of the nicest things of cruising is the wide variety of people you get to meet.

As a Scot, seems like we've been discussing nothing BUT politics for the last 3 years (Independence, Brexit, General Election, US elections..!)

However we've managed to survive all those without falling out, and we've become much more politically engaged as a nation while remaining (mostly) civil 😂

Our last cruise, a few weeks before Trump was elected, I drank -and swore-😉 a lot with great guy from Boston who was on another planet from me politically, but sharing a whisky or 10 is a great bonder! So ask away..you know your own personalities and whether you can handle differences of opinion without getting all arsey 😂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

I do not mind talking politics with people from other countries. I just won't talk politics with other Americans. I was in Canada on a sports trip when we were having all the issues with the Bush/Gore election. I found it fascinating to hear their input. In Rome, I had another good discussion with, again, a nice Canadian couple about Obama and I asked about the Albertan Conservative feelings vs the Trudeau premiership. I've had conversations lately with athlete friends from Russia...

American vs American - too many are too willing to get down in the gutter too fast...

It really depends upon the maturity of the individuals involved. You are correct in noting that too many get overly worked up over political differences, but it is possible, as you get to know someone, to find common ground in how to discuss differences without making it a fight. On the whole, however, so many cruisers have so much invested in their own perceptions that it is probably wiser to steer clear of discussing even the upcoming Super Bowl.

On the Golden Princess at Christmas, I felt like the only American in a sea of Aussies and Kiwis. I wasn't, but there were very few Americans. Most wanted to know what was going on in America and what I thought about what will happen at Inauguration Day. I thought the questions were thoughtful and genuine and nobody made me regret any of my thoughts. I'm pretty sure that was because I was talking with non-Americans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ccastner

I learned how to avoid discussions way back while on a business trip to London in April and May of 1973. Suddenly, being American, I was deemed to be the "expert" on the Watergate matter which exploded in the British news on May 1. (April 30, 1973 was the date that John Dean was fired by President Nixon and Haldeman and Erlichman resigned.)

I quickly took an "I don't know enough about the situation to really have any opinion" approach and changed to a "how about those Mets" referring to the World Series champion 1969 NY Mets and avoiding any discussions about how the Arsenal Gunners had their clock cleaned by Sunderland who scored a major upset in the British football (soccer) FA cup in 1973.

As someone said earlier, we always avoid any discussions about politics and religion and stay with generalities regarding sports.

Now if Arsenal would just get rid of Arsène Wenger they might actually win something these days. :D

We were on the Oasis the week of the Inauguration and I can honestly say I didn't hear anyone talking about anything political.

I did have one lady bring it up to me in the Schooner Bar and once she realized we had opposite views and I wasn't taking the bait she left.

I was pleasantly surprised we got a week's break from all of the craziness!!

As a Scot, seems like we've been discussing nothing BUT politics for the last 3 years (Independence, Brexit, General Election, US elections..!)

However we've managed to survive all those without falling out, and we've become much more politically engaged as a nation while remaining (mostly) civil 😂

Our last cruise, a few weeks before Trump was elected, I drank -and swore-😉 a lot with great guy from Boston who was on another planet from me politically, but sharing a whisky or 10 is a great bonder! So ask away..you know your own personalities and whether you can handle differences of opinion without getting all arsey 😂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Love your response...while I am mostly Irish... have a bit Scot too... a few drinks can lead to a lively discussion as long as it is in good spirit.

We were on Celebrity Eclipse after the election. One night a Brit woman at our table (Select dining, share table) said, and I quote, "I'm going to throw a bomb into the conversation. What did you think of the election?" This was to my husband and me and another American couple. Immediately her companion said "Oh, no! We're not doing that!" As did the other couple and us.

It was apparent to me that the other American couple and us were on different sides. When the other American couple had left I said to the British lady that she'd probably find Americans who would be happy to talk to her about the election...but only one on one. It was clear from the way she phrased the question that she hoped to start a flame throwing argument.

Lots of subjects to avoid on cruises. Politics, religion, income, what you paid for your cabin, how many cruises you've been on.....

How about saying:

"Three things I never discuss on a cruise - religion, politics or sex. Oh, alright, let's talk sex."

:D

I love this answer FT.

Seriously, my cruise rules are:

- I don't open my business email at all.

- I use free wifi from the ports to send a quick "I'm fine" text home.

- I won't tolerate "hyper opinions" on any controversial subject. I'll walk away, I'll change my table, I'll go to a different bar.

I have opinions on a lot of things, but I keep them to myself with the exception of one or two close friends at home. When cruising, I want to meet nice people, drink, read, gamble, listen to music, see interesting ports of call.

I don't understand why zealots of any persuasion (political, religious, sports etc) can't practise civility ... but I don't allow them into my vacation bubble!

Back in 2008-2009 I was put at an 8 top table with a couple of Obama haters. They were vile. Next night ... new table. No problem! By the end of the cruise they had the 8 top to themselves. I still wonder today if that object lesson was absorbed!

Happy Cruising to All and to All a Good Time!

HTP

Same here. No politics, religion or sex.

But we add one more...children and/or grandchildren. We do not really care how smart, intelligent, important, perfect or how well anyone else's children or grandchildren are doing. We do not know them so it is of no consequence to us. Please spare us the pictures as well. We have our own thanks very much!

On my cruise in April, if someone asks why I'm cruising solo, maybe I"ll say: "Well, my wife only has her green card right now and she is from Syria, although she has not been there in 20 years. She was afraid that she would be banned or detained by the US when we try to debark in Port Canaveral because she is unlucky enough to have the two traits the current government is banning - born in Syria and is gay." (rumor is that Bannon has a LBGTQ Executive Order ready for Trump to sign)...

Tongue firmly planted in cheek ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

On my cruise in April, if someone asks why I'm cruising solo, maybe I"ll say: "Well, my wife only has her green card right now and she is from Syria, although she has not been there in 20 years. She was afraid that she would be banned or detained by the US when we try to debark in Port Canaveral because she is unlucky enough to have the two traits the current government is banning - born in Syria and is gay." (rumor is that Bannon has a LBGTQ Executive Order ready for Trump to sign)...

Tongue firmly planted in cheek ;-)

Here we go....

Please read the OPs original post. Especially the last sentence.:rolleyes:

We were on a Mediterranean cruise in 2008 (on our honeymoon), when McCain announced Sarah Palin as his running mate. We were sailing on Princess, doing Anytime Dining, and got seated at a two top next to an older couple from France at the next two top over. Unfortunately, the tables were close enough that this couple decided to start trying to engage us in conversation about it. We tried politely changing the subject and declining to discuss it, but they were very pushy about it. Finally we just had to start ignoring them. Fortunately, we didn't run into them again, and haven't had any other experiences like that on that or other cruises.

I think most people try to disconnect from the world outside their cruise (we certainly do) while they're sailing. But there's always a chance you run into someone who feels the need to talk your ear off about a topic you're uncomfortable with. Do what you need to do to end the conversation without making a scene. Chances are you'll never see these people again so even if you have to resort to being "rude" and just walking away or ceasing to respond to them, there's no lasting harm in doing so.