Classic Package Change

TommyD3

You should read the hilarious soda talk again ;)

It is not really about canned soda or fountain soda (FYI I don't care either)...

Celebrity does not have most of the sodas on a fountain! So it is about getting a soda on the package as before or now having to pay for it! That's what the fuss is about ...

And how do we know they didn't upgrade the fountains to have more choices?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

And how do we know they didn't upgrade the fountains to have more choices?

Well I'm on Silhouette's TA in 13 days so I don't have long to wait to find out. Why doesn't Celebrity let us know if they have upgraded the fountains with a reasonable selection of sodas . That at least would answer one question.

I or you shouldn't need to cancel or change anything that you paid for. I met my obligation and paid for an agreement contract with Celebrity who now is changing what's in the agreement. Any change is a breach of the contract agreement. Celebrity solution should be old classic package with $9 cap and pay difference or back to classic package for PAID IN FULL passengers. That way they'll meet their obligations or enhanced it for those who've paid for the old package. May be that's happening, would need to to hear form recent passengers. It would be better if Celebrity stick their necks out and commit to their new change or announce a modified PAID PASSENGERS package. I don't care what I get, I would have agreed to this changes' but I just don't agree to the changes after I paid. What's to stop them from doing it on your next cruise? It needn't be beverages, could be internet, dining, etc. There's no telling of what you'll get till you get on board ? Not a good thought.

Why are you sure that the purchase of a beverage plan is part of a contract? It looks more like a sale or pre-sale of goods. There is also no damages because they would offer you a refund if you're not happy with the substituted product.

TIL that a lot of people really care about canned soda opposed to can soda.

I don't mind the change and think it's a huge positive for me personally. If I get a soda at the movies or a restaurant it's always fountain and I don't seem to mind. I just don't get what all this fuss is about with the soda.

I understand being upset some liquors being moved from classic to premium, but this soda talk is hilarious to read.

It matters because I want canned soda to be consumed in my room.

When I paid for my cruise I chose the the classic which was in the purchase price with the website description of what it contained. Isn't that a contract agreement, when I agree to pay and that they provide me what was described when I purchased? Or am I missing something?

It would be a logistical nightmare for Celebrity to roll out the new package only for those who have not paid already. They would have to have some kind of time cutoff. I could be cruising in October but already paid, and others may cruise in October and have not yet paid. They won't offer one type of classic package to some passengers on the same sailing and a different classic package to others.

I called Celebrity and they told me cans of soda were included in the Classic. I specifically told them about everything being said on the boards and was told I can get cans.

Going on Summit next week, so guess I will find out!!!

It would be a logistical nightmare for Celebrity to roll out the new package only for those who have not paid already. They would have to have some kind of time cutoff. I could be cruising in October but already paid, and others may cruise in October and have not yet paid. They won't offer one type of classic package to some passengers on the same sailing and a different classic package to others.
t

Easy solution is to give a free upgrade to premiem for passengers that had classic prior to the change. That would be customer friendly instead of customer gouging.

t

Easy solution is to give a free upgrade to premiem for passengers that had classic prior to the change. That would be customer friendly instead of customer gouging.

That would make me very happy, and would be a customer service win, but I doubt that Celebrity would see the loss of revenue worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well I'm on Silhouette's TA in 13 days so I don't have long to wait to find out. Why doesn't Celebrity let us know if they have upgraded the fountains with a reasonable selection of sodas . That at least would answer one question.

I am pretty sure that I can answer that question-- nothing has been upgraded. I think expecting that it is would be wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called Celebrity and they told me cans of soda were included in the Classic. I specifically told them about everything being said on the boards and was told I can get cans.

Great. Come back and report for us. I do not think anyone has yet reported that they have not been able to get a can of soda with the Classic Package.

I am sure people are hoping it is just not a mistake on the document and a misunderstanding.

Enjoy your cruise.

P.S. But it would not be the first time that someone who answered the phone was not aware of the actual situation.

Edited by jagoffee

That's it, I don't have an option to cancel without penalties. I'm not a lawyer but a class action lawsuit could put a stop to the cruise ship dictatorship. More to throttle they're take it or leave it, either way you pay rules. Any other sales agreement we'd be screaming blood murder to get less than what we paid for, so why do we need to settle for less with cruise lines.I would say, "same is good", "more is better", " less is a no, no" , but let me choose.

Good luck with that. However I doubt you'll be able to change the new modern luxury cruise line. You continue booking with them they win. You vote with your feet, you win.

They'll probably continue giving the cans for a trial period then some time in the future the change will actually take effect.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

TIL that a lot of people really care about canned soda opposed to can soda.

I don't mind the change and think it's a huge positive for me personally. If I get a soda at the movies or a restaurant it's always fountain and I don't seem to mind. I just don't get what all this fuss is about with the soda.

I understand being upset some liquors being moved from classic to premium, but this soda talk is hilarious to read.

Easy to explain: I like to bring a bottle of water and a soda can with me when I leave to ship for excursion or whatever. They now have removed this option (soda can) and will cost me 4-5$.

Inside the ship I don't care (but some do and I understand)

When I paid for my cruise I chose the the classic which was in the purchase price with the website description of what it contained. Isn't that a contract agreement, when I agree to pay and that they provide me what was described when I purchased? Or am I missing something?

I'm guessing somewhere in the cruise contract it says they are allowed to change elements of the cruise. However, even if it's not legally wrong, it's morally wrong and terrible for PR.

Can I add again, when they cutback the Classic Package inclusions in 2014 without any notification social media pressure made them reverse that decision within days. This forum has a limited reach so if you are unhappy consider Facebook and/or Twitter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you are expected to pay $55 per day for a drinks package and not even be able to get a can of Coke or a Baileys! Fountain Coke is more often than not watered down a never tastes as good so is not a substitute. Not very good value for money anymore.

I just saw on their Twitter feed that someone asked this same question and it says that cans of soda are now only included on the premium package. We sail on Equinox on Friday. I have asked for an answer on the Facebook page as to whether I will be able to have a gin or vodka with diet tonic under the classic package. No response yet. I just can't believe the logic in spirits and beer being included but not canned drinks which cost so much less.

I hate to get into this, BUT, could the can issue have to do with recycling? We paid for the Classic pkg last July for our upcoming trans-Pacific this Sept (almost $2000), I printed out what we should get at that time--many changes, but with all the days at sea we thought it would be worth it--at the time.

Well I will be quoting the Celebrity UK Website description of the package:

Classic Drinks Package

Non-Alcoholic Classic Drinks Package: All Fountain and Canned Soda, Bottled Juices such as cranberry, tomato, pineapple and apple, Fresh Squeezed Juices, Premium Coffees and Teas, and Bottled Water.

$18.00 per person, per day*

Classic Drinks Package: Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic soft drinks package, plus all beers up to $6 per serving, wines up to $9.00 per glass and spirits and cocktails $8 per glass. Plus, with the purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

$55.00 per person, per day*

It clearly says Canned Soda.

I hate to get into this, BUT, could the can issue have to do with recycling? We paid for the Classic pkg last July for our upcoming trans-Pacific this Sept (almost $2000), I printed out what we should get at that time--many changes, but with all the days at sea we thought it would be worth it--at the time.

I suppose that would be noble of them, but they'll still be using plenty of cans for Premium and soda-only package holders unless they switch everything to fountain drinks. It could potentially be a lot cheaper for them, but I'm still doubtful that the existing ships have the capacity to serve them yet.

Well I will be quoting the Celebrity UK Website description of the package:

Classic Drinks Package

Non-Alcoholic Classic Drinks Package: All Fountain and Canned Soda, Bottled Juices such as cranberry, tomato, pineapple and apple, Fresh Squeezed Juices, Premium Coffees and Teas, and Bottled Water.

$18.00 per person, per day*

Classic Drinks Package: Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic soft drinks package, plus all beers up to $6 per serving, wines up to $9.00 per glass and spirits and cocktails $8 per glass. Plus, with the purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

$55.00 per person, per day*

It clearly says Canned Soda.

I believe this is the old description since all the drinks (beers, cocktails, and wines) are up to $9 now.

I believe this is the old description since all the drinks (beers, cocktails, and wines) are up to $9 now.

Whether it is the old description or not, it is the one showing today on the UK website and therefore that is what anyone booking now will expect. We have strict trading standards laws in the UK which state that goods supplied should be 'as described'. Clearly Celebrity have got this one wrong and should respond accordingly before it escalates.

I just saw on their Twitter feed that someone asked this same question and it says that cans of soda are now only included on the premium package. We sail on Equinox on Friday. I have asked for an answer on the Facebook page as to whether I will be able to have a gin or vodka with diet tonic under the classic package. No response yet. I just can't believe the logic in spirits and beer being included but not canned drinks which cost so much less.

I've seen nothing to indicate that mixed drinks which use soda of any kind will not be included in the classic drinks package as a result of the changes to soda policies. It is possible that some of the brand name Gins or Vodkas have increased in cost and possibly have moved from the classic to the premium, but that is only top shelf stuff and it is not having any thing to do with canned or fountain soda.

I will also be sailing the Equinox this friday and I have not yet gotten any word on whether the changes that this thread are talking about will be implemented on Equinox this early. So far as I know, these posts have only referred to experience on Silhouette. Celebrity will often test things on one ship before deciding to implement fleet wide. I feel comfortable that if it does improve the bottom line, then my November sailing on Equinox will see the changes, but this week? I just don't know.

Starting with the Celebrity Reflection 3/24/17 sailing, the following Beverage Packages enhancements are in effect:

• Streamlined pricing for the drinks included under our Classic and Premium packages: Previously guests were paying different pricing for spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and frozen drinks, and wine-by-the-glass, etc.
  • Classic Beverage Package Enhancement:
    • Guests who purchase this package will have the option to pay the difference if they want a drink that is not included in their package.
    • Guests who purchase the Classic Beverage Package have the option to order any beverages up to $9.

[*]Premium Beverage Package: Guests who purchase the Premium Beverage Package have the option to order any beverages up to $13.

Rollout Schedule

• Reflection 3/24/17
  • Eclipse 3/25/17
  • Silhouette 3/26/17
  • Summit 3/27/17
  • Infinity & Constellation 4/2/17
  • Equinox 4/3/17
  • Millennium 4/8/17
  • Solstice 4/20/17

Bobby Dee,

It's already happened - see the official reply from X above.

If you check out the post #180, it also gives a link to the new listings where the Classic package states fountains only, canned has been moved to Premium.

Starting with the Celebrity Reflection 3/24/17 sailing, the following Beverage Packages enhancements are in effect:

• Streamlined pricing for the drinks included under our Classic and Premium packages: Previously guests were paying different pricing for spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and frozen drinks, and wine-by-the-glass, etc.
  • Classic Beverage Package Enhancement:
    • Guests who purchase this package will have the option to pay the difference if they want a drink that is not included in their package.
    • Guests who purchase the Classic Beverage Package have the option to order any beverages up to $9.

[*]Premium Beverage Package: Guests who purchase the Premium Beverage Package have the option to order any beverages up to $13.

Rollout Schedule

• Reflection 3/24/17
  • Eclipse 3/25/17
  • Silhouette 3/26/17
  • Summit 3/27/17
  • Infinity & Constellation 4/2/17
  • Equinox 4/3/17
  • Millennium 4/8/17
  • Solstice 4/20/17

The point that stands out from the above post is:

Unless they have increased the price of canned soda to $10 then surely it is included.