Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, Celebrity Cruises just posted on their Facebook page that there will indeed still be complimentary burgers, and they will now be served in the Oceanview Cafe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the update and glad to see there will still be hamburgers at no charge.

they will if you are in your bathing suit... I have been stopped when going for water. must cover up and wear shoes...

Which is very prudent, to say the least....

bon voyage

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, Celebrity Cruises just posted on their Facebook page that there will indeed still be complimentary burgers, and they will now be served in the Oceanview Cafe.

As they had been served on Millennium class. So really it's about the addition of another for charge option.

$10US for the cost of a burger, when you've already paid the cost of the cruise, seems quite pricey. It's comparable to the price you pay on land - when you haven't paid for the food and service and rental costs already.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks. FWIW, I also posted the same information about 12 hours ago, on this thread - see post #180. Not that I had any doubts, but I'm pleased to see that Celebrity confirmed what I posted earlier.

As they had been served on Millennium class. So really it's about the addition of another for charge option.

Hi The Big M,

This may be the case on the M-Class ships, but as far as I've seen, it's not exactly the case on the S-Class ships, as burgers and hot dogs were not served at the buffet - at least not on Eclipse or Equinox. I'm on Equinox in 2 weeks, so we'll see if anything has changed.

I'm not disputing your comment on the addition of a for charge option, and i certainly respect why some are displeased. However, as long as the complimentary burgers and hot dogs remain an option, I'm not upset about this development. Besides, at this point, it appears to be a 1 ship test. If Constellation's guests are unwilling to spend on the Top Deck concept, there's always a chance they might revert to the current grill format. Time will tell.

Just a thought... if people are correct that currently there are no burgers and hot dogs in the oceanview restaurant, if they introduce them, what will they be removing to make space . The buffet already looks pretty full

Little confused, Aqua Spa cafes are all in the Solarium which is a pool area, you see people in bathing suits all day ordering food. I have done it myself.

A bit difficult to police when it is in the pool area.

I have been turned away at the door to the buffet when I was in swimwear and not covered up and I do not in any way wear revealing swimwear!!

Just a thought... if people are correct that currently there are no burgers and hot dogs in the oceanview restaurant, if they introduce them, what will they be removing to make space . The buffet already looks pretty full

I was just off Millennium, where they also served burgers and hot dogs in oceanview. They just take a space along with the other mains and salads. To be honest there were often a lot of empty spaces in that buffet. There have been a lot of cutbacks and space wasn't an issue.

On Solstice they're normally placed at the back section of the main food area - i.e. closer access to the galley. They're not there all day however.

$10US for the cost of a burger, when you've already paid the cost of the cruise, seems quite pricey. It's comparable to the price you pay on land - when you haven't paid for the food and service and rental costs already.

Unless they moved the grill since our September 2016 cruise to Canada/New England on Summit, burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc are still grilled outside near the pool area. We have been sailing Summit twice a year since 2012.

I just hope the quality doesn't go down on the burgers and fries. RCCL serves their burgers in the Windjammer and they are dried out since they are precooked and then they sit there under heat lamps.

Move the upscale Kobe Burger inside and leave the Mast Grill alone. Everybody's will be happy.

They tried that at the Gastrobar and it was a failure.

My guess is that the thinking is we'll pay for the convenience of not having to get dressed while we're at the pool.

I hope we all prove them wrong so that this new venue is a once and done on the Connie.

My guess is that the thinking is we'll pay for the convenience of not having to get dressed while we're at the pool.

Interesting thought. Is X playing psychological games with their guests?!?

That is how I will do my comparison. Is it worth $10 more than a free burger. I am sure too, that location and not having to potentially put a wrap on for the ladies may be part of the thought process. I will put on a T-shirt and go get a free burger most likely and save my $10 for something else when I do want a burger.

They already had burgers in the ocean view at least on the cruises we have been on

Same here. At least every cruise I've been on in the last 3 or 4 years, both on S&M class ships. They are in the grill area. Maybe those of you who didn't see them were blinded by the better options of grill-to-order steaks, chicken and fish. :)

Move the upscale Kobe Burger inside and leave the Mast Grill alone. Everybody's will be happy.
Since they need space and certainly wouldn't put them in the buffet, what would be your suggestion as to where to put a new venue, because they would have to remove something?

The more I think about it the angrier it makes me that we can't even get an included (and I'm not saying free because we've already paid well for our food on the ship!) burger outside while I try to spend a relaxing day outside on a cruise.

No matter how they spin it burgers are NOT gourmet food and the outside grill is NOT a specialty restaurant.

Since they need space and certainly wouldn't put them in the buffet, what would be your suggestion as to where to put a new venue, because they would have to remove something?

What about attaching it to the bar at the aft of the ship (either behind the buffet or one deck up).

Make that bar into some kind of upscale outdoor casual restaurant.

What about attaching it to the bar at the aft of the ship (either behind the buffet or one deck up).

Make that bar into some kind of upscale outdoor casual restaurant.

And then you would hear the complaints from those folks that say that was their favorite bar and now they have families there eating and they can't enjoy their cruise, so they are going to cruise on a different line.

My point really in asking the question was, that whenever they would move it, there are gong to be issues for some people. So for someone to say just move it inside, it will cause just as many disappointed people as replacing the Mast Grill with this new venue. If I were Celebrity, I would just do what I feel is best for my company and let the chips fall where they may. I'm sure if enough folks don't purchase the gourmet burgers (I will be one that doesn't purchase them), they probably won't last that long and the venue will turn into something else.

I'm sure if enough folks don't purchase the gourmet burgers (I will be one that doesn't purchase them), they probably won't last that long and the venue will turn into something else.

You put way too much faith in the ability of Celebrity to make intelligent decisions. Raising prices on Bistro on 5? A disaster. Sushi on 5? Even worse. Effectively doubling prices on specialty restaurants? Have to have hawkers out every day, all over the ship, trying to get butts in seats (and selling those seats for the old price).

They are, by far, the most bean-counter driven cruise line, and we've sailed on all of the main-stream lines and most of the premium lines (to which they no longer belong).

Take the marketing approach out of Miami and put it back where it belongs, being handled by the front-line staff on the ships (and that does not include the "Onboard Marketing Manager" which I have never encountered on another line).

Take the marketing approach out of Miami and put it back where it belongs, being handled by the front-line staff on the ships (and that does not include the "Onboard Marketing Manager" which I have never encountered on another line).

Maybe I'm not understanding your definition of "marketing" versus mine ( after being in sales and marketing for 20 years of my career). What cruise line leaves their marketing approach to the staff on their ships?

Maybe I'm not understanding your definition of "marketing" versus mine ( after being in sales and marketing for 20 years of my career). What cruise line leaves their marketing approach to the staff on their ships?

Well, I only spent time (40 years) in marketing and ownership position in marketing corporations) and I know that if the impetus of the marketing approach comes from those on the front line, you have an exponentially better chance of it being successful as opposed to, in this scenario, a marketing geek sequestered in a Miami office.

The proof is in the pudding. Add to this the idiotic change of the "Ocean Liners" restaurants to either Qsine or Tuscan. Told by many in management positions on the ships that it was a bone-headed decision. Those venues still need to be hustled, and for a much declined experience.