Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

Here is the reality to people who are talking about jumping ship... either other lines do the same thing, or they will follow suit! I don't care if every meal is free on certain other lines, my toes will never touch their decks! I like the grill not because the food was great, but because of the convience of not having to worry about being in a bathingsuit.. I agree that the news release suggests it will be an upcharge.. but perhaps it will be an option and the other non "gourmet" food will be available. I would wait till we hear what is really happening before I start making "threats."

Here is the reality to people who are talking about jumping ship... either other lines do the same thing, or they will follow suit! I don't care if every meal is free on certain other lines, my toes will never touch their decks! I like the grill not because the food was great, but because of the convience of not having to worry about being in a bathingsuit.. I agree that the news release suggests it will be an upcharge.. but perhaps it will be an option and the other non "gourmet" food will be available. I would wait till we hear what is really happening before I start making "threats."
We hear folks are leaving because of every change that is made, but surprisingly most are still here.

I don't want to pay for a buger eitherl, but I'll just find something else to eat and I don't think I'll go hungry if the Mast Grill is gone.

I would love to see them have both the fancy burger and the old burgers that are currently on the ships but believe they would have put that in their release so don't see that as an alternative.

Another point that hasn't been mentioned is that there has already been a dumbing down of the Mast grill several years ago. It used to be that you had all the items currently there but they added another food each day. One day it might be ribs, another day chicken, etc. That was previously eliminated.

We should remember that this is not about a hamburger it's about the nickel and dining and I realize other lines are doing it. Remember the controversy a few months ago about the bottled water in Aqua. It all adds up.

Personally, I think this whole thing with the burgers is also in a way about going to "modern luxury." Get rid of the regular burgers, do an upscale burger. It feels to me that they are trying in their way of getting rid of many cruisers and going to a certain demographic. Don't feel I'm in that demographic anymore

Personally, I think this whole thing with the burgers is also in a way about going to "modern luxury." Get rid of the regular burgers, do an upscale burger. It feels to me that they are trying in their way of getting rid of many cruisers and going to a certain demographic. Don't feel I'm in that demographic anymore

Death by a thousand cuts.

For the first time in several years, we only have one future cruise booked, next March on the Eclipse. Also for the first time in several years, we are starting to take a serious look once again at AI resorts, our winter holiday of choice before we started cruising.

I would love to see them have both the fancy burger and the old burgers that are currently on the ships but believe they would have put that in their release so don't see that as an alternative.

Another point that hasn't been mentioned is that there has already been a dumbing down of the Mast grill several years ago. It used to be that you had all the items currently there but they added another food each day. One day it might be ribs, another day chicken, etc. That was previously eliminated.

We should remember that this is not about a hamburger it's about the nickel and dining and I realize other lines are doing it. Remember the controversy a few months ago about the bottled water in Aqua. It all adds up.

I remember that they used to have multiple choices at the Mast Grill. I also hope you're right about having a choice of their present burger or an upgraded version for a cost.

Death by a thousand cuts.

For the first time in several years, we only have one future cruise booked, next March on the Eclipse. Also for the first time in several years, we are starting to take a serious look once again at AI resorts, our winter holiday of choice before we started cruising.

Death by a thousand cuts is a good way to put it. There will always be those who, regardless of the cuts, will say they don't eat burgers, or they don't care about chocolates, or the water in Aqua class. However, sooner or later they will cut something that is important to them, & the tune will change.

Sorry but it looks to be more in the $12 range! :( *** :eek: *** :(

(Above is the Gastro Bar menu - I think the food didn't go over well there so now they're trying it outside near the pool , where most cruisers are during the day.)

I don't think people are going to want to spend $12 on lunch for a gourmet burger. That's just a guess.

I, too, am disappointed about the changes. But let's be clear, it is all about the bottom line for RCL and it's shareholders. I've watched Azamara continually raise their prices over the years, each time they added an "amenity" like drinks, the "Azamazing" evening, and each time they did it, many people said they were going to jump ship, but many never did, as the line is sailing full often. Ask Lisa. Ask Larry over at Azamara. RCL's stock price is at an almost all-time high at $108, so the decisions being made in the board room are being seen in the stock price, which is no doubt the basis for most senior management bonuses, compensation, etc. It's all about the numbers, not so much about the passenger experience. I am a retired Chief Financial Officer, and I am somewhat familiar with the process of a publicly-traded company. I listen to the quarterly earnings reports on RCL. Passenger bookings are at all-time highs, and until that starts to trend lower, you will continue to see these "enhancements." Just my 2 cents worth.

...or maybe the hamburgers we use to get from the Mast Grill will still be free from the new Top Deck Burger Bar but the extra fee is only for the new gourmet burgers at the Top Deck Burger Bar.

I wouldn't count on that scenario.

I don't understand why someone would pay for a burger etc for lunch at an extra fee restaurant when you can get lunch right around the corner on one deck lower for free. Maybe the higher ups at RCL think people will pay for it, but only time will tell. On the other hand they give you plenary of abc to use and you have to use it somewhere. We personally really like Guys Burgers on Carnival, but not enough to have to pay extra for them some or most days for lunch. The other good thing is that there might not be long lines for a burger when you have to pay for them.

Jump ship? Perhaps. I have sailed many times on Celebrity. I am elite plus. Some years, I sailed 4 or 5 times. Now, I am down to once a year. The cruise is still nice. However, I did get annoyed at the constant selling of spa services, upcharges for specialty dining, etc. What really is bad is that unless you book a suite, many venues are off limits for you. Just back from 15 nights on another all suite cruise with no extra charges. Ate 3 nights at a fabulous specialty venue with no extra fee. Never signed for anything. It kind of reminded me of my first time on Celebrity Zenith.

There is precedent for the concept of both free and upcharge. Princess has just rethemed the burger venue on Caribbean Princess recent dry dock.

Most items are no charge but a gourmet celebrity chef inspired burger has a $5 fee.

There is precedent for the concept of both free and upcharge. Princess has just rethemed the burger venue on Caribbean Princess recent dry dock.

Most items are no charge but a gourmet celebrity chef inspired burger has a $5 fee.

Like the Aqua Spa cafe

I don't understand why someone would pay for a burger etc for lunch at an extra fee restaurant when you can get lunch right around the corner on one deck lower for free.

If the free lunch was equal quality you'd have a point. However many people do not mind paying extra if one receives something of superior quality in return.

I would happily pay $12 for a good quality hamburger at lunchtime, even if free burgers were available elsewhere on the ship - BUT it must be a significant upgrade in quality from the fast-food-restaurant quality burgers that the Mast Grill has historically served. The meat must be significantly higher grade meat (i.e. at least USDA choice - preferably dry-aged prime) AND have higher quality cuts of beef included in the patty (i.e. brisket and short-rib - not just sirloin). The buns must be homemade - not prepackaged, mass produced using cheap quality ingredients. The cheese must be real cheese and not the highly processed cheese-like substance the Mast Grill uses. They must be made to order and cooked no higher than medium temperature. I am somewhat skeptical Celebrity will produce of a burger of such quality, but if they do I would be thrilled with the new venue and very happily pay $12 for lunch on 2-3 occasions per/week of cruising. Good quality burgers in Chicago (where I reside) tend to average around $14; so anything under that amount I would consider a bargain (again provided the aforementioned quality standards are met).

Of course if they resort to false advertising and call something Kobe beef I will consider the new venue a scam and stay far away.

I don't disagree with what you're saying (we are elite) but wondered what demographic you consider yourself to be compared with the demographic they are after. Do celebrity even know what demographic they are after? They seem to send out mixed messages.

Not that comparing Celebrity to Carnival is fair, but the Guy Fieri burger bars on Carnival are included in the cruise fare - no extra charge.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes, but Johnny Rockets on RCCL ships is not free. There is a cover charge and on Quantum class ships it is a la carte charge.

Yes, but Johnny Rockets on RCCL ships is not free. There is a cover charge and on Quantum class ships it is a la carte charge.

That's true, but Johnny Rocket's is a whole experience, with desserts and drinks, plus other food, not just the burgers. I avoid the place like the plague. Anyway, people can decide if this is the last straw or not a big deal. I for one am losing interest in cruises because of all the add-on charges. I can't afford the lines that don't nickel and dime the passengers, and the ones I can afford are becoming not worth the aggravation.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The reason for the cover charge for Johnny Rockets is so that the restaurant doesn't turn into a hangout for kids. That fee is nominal ($5) and includes everything (maybe not shakes - forgot). Top Deck seems like a counter where you get in line and pay $12 for a burger. None of know the exact price and it's just a guess at this point. In any case, people aren't going cruise on Carnival over Celebrity just because of those Guy Fieri burgers. That makes no sense.

The reason for the cover charge for Johnny Rockets is so that the restaurant doesn't turn into a hangout for kids. That fee is nominal ($5) and includes everything (maybe not shakes - forgot). Top Deck seems like a counter where you get in line and pay $12 for a burger. None of know the exact price and it's just a guess at this point. In any case, people aren't going cruise on Carnival over Celebrity just because of those Guy Fieri burgers. That makes no sense.

Johnny Rockets on the Jewel this April was $8.95 coverage charge that included soda but not the milkshakes.

I went on the Celebrity website and looked at all the eating venues and they mention the cost of each location. I will be on the Silhouette in a week and the Mast Grill is not even mentioned but the Lawn Club Grill is mentioned for an extra fee of $45. All other restaurants that have fees are mentioned and the MDR and the main buffet as expected has no fee. Thus it appears that the Lawn Club on the Silhouette is similar to the Mast Club on the smaller ships. I too do not want to pay for burgers.

Rick

We just sailed the Silhouette Transatlantic and this ship has both Mast Grill (no-fee burgers and hot dogs open 11:30am-6:00pm) as well as the Lawn Club. On sea days, the Lawn Club opened for lunch and the charge for their "gourmet" burgers was $15. Or should I say $15 is the lunch cover charge that includes salads, dessert, etc, in addition to the burgers. One day at sea the Captain announced in his daily 10:00am broadcast that the Lawn Club would be BOGO that day at lunch. We joined the masses and enjoyed a sit-down lunch for $7.50.

We also enjoyed the Lawn Club for dinner a couple times on our 14-day cruise. We had a 7-night specialty package and went twice to the Lawn Club. We also went back another night (not on our package) and asked for 50% discount for dinner ($22.50) and was given it without the slightest hesitation.