Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

Johnny Rockets on the Jewel this April was $8.95 coverage charge that included soda but not the milkshakes.

But breakfast at Johnny Rockets was free on the Allure in March. Alas, no burgers offered for breakfast...

I don't disagree with what you're saying (we are elite) but wondered what demographic you consider yourself to be compared with the demographic they are after. Do celebrity even know what demographic they are after? They seem to send out mixed messages.

Little hard to explain, in terms of income, upper middle class with a big upward exception. In terms of life and work experiences we are definitely middle class, worked all our lives, now retired. We haven't booked a suite in years on a cruise ship but have done so in September for our 35th anniversary. Not really a suite or butler person even though we have had them all over the country in Caesar's Hotels. We have sailed Celebrity for over 25 years and have seen loads of changes. Just doesn't feel like home to us anymore like it used to.

I don't know if anyone has seen Laura's post about the dining changes to the Constellation in her upcoming drydock but my cynical mind reads it that we can say goodbye to free (read that as already paid for in our cruise fare, rather than free) burgers and the Mast Grill.

Celebrity Constellation to Receive New Dining Venues During Upcoming Dry Dock

"New to the line will be the Top Deck Burger Bar, located on the pool deck in the space formerly known as the Mast Grill. Here cruisers will be able to order gourmet burgers like the Celebrity Signature Burger. A BYOB (build your own burger) option will also be available with an extensive menu of toppings and condiments."

The burgers used are from Sysco. We use these same burgers in our summer cook outs(I have a catering company)Prices have been pretty stable, so obviously it's a ploy to work out some more cash from you. Though the Mast burgers are good, customizing your own burger might appeal to a lot(me for one)Obviously the cost will be the determining factor. $5 for a really top notch burger is fine. Much more than that & I'll just skip it.

I have often been flamed for criticizing Celebrity for their many cut-backs (which I directly attribute to the philosophy of the current CEO). But on the subject off this post I ask a simple question: Does anyone have any real knowledge that this new burger bar will come with an add-on cost? If not, you folks are simply speculating based on nothing! It is one thing to criticize a cruise line for a cut-back....but its another story when we might be talking about an improvement that may or may not involve extra cost. If Celebrity replaces the free Mast Grill burgers with something that costs extra add-ons....we will be among the first to cry foul! But lets wait and see how this new venue is implemented.

When HAL was upgrading its burger grill to their "Dive In" concept there were similar cries about add-on costs. But when they finally converted to their Dive-in grills, there were no extra charges and some major improvements in the burgers. We have been on 14 cruise lines and none has charged for the burger places...with the exception of Johnnie Rockets (on RCI). But that is a different concept then a simple burger grill (although we never liked the extra charge).

Hank

I have often been flamed for criticizing Celebrity for their many cut-backs (which I directly attribute to the philosophy of the current CEO). But on the subject off this post I ask a simple question: Does anyone have any real knowledge that this new burger bar will come with an add-on cost? If not, you folks are simply speculating based on nothing! It is one thing to criticize a cruise line for a cut-back....but its another story when we might be talking about an improvement that may or may not involve extra cost. If Celebrity replaces the free Mast Grill burgers with something that costs extra add-ons....we will be among the first to cry foul! But lets wait and see how this new venue is implemented.

Hank

This sure sounds like an upcharge to me:

"We are continually pushing the boundaries of the cruise experience, so we are adding some incredible new features to Celebrity Constellation," said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO of Celebrity Cruises.

New to the line will be the Top Deck Burger Bar, located on the pool deck in the space formerly known as the Mast Grill. Here cruisers will be able to order gourmet burgers for an extra fee, like the new-to-the-line Celebrity Signature Burger, an eight-ounce dry-aged Kobe Beef burger with slow roasted pork belly, port salut cheese, arugula, caramelized onions, and roasted garlic aioli, all served on a homemade brioche bun. A BYOB (build your own burger) option will also be available with an extensive menu of toppings and condiments.

Of course, this currently only applies to the Connie, but I think the handwriting is on the wall for the other ships.......

When HAL was upgrading its burger grill to their "Dive In" concept there were similar cries about add-on costs. But when they finally converted to their Dive-in grills, there were no extra charges and some major improvements in the burgers. We have been on 14 cruise lines and none has charged for the burger places...with the exception of Johnnie Rockets (on RCI). But that is a different concept then a simple burger grill (although we never liked the extra charge).

Hank

Cruise Critic revised their news item on the planned Constellation dry-dock modifications after double checking with Celebrity:

"New to the line will be the Top Deck Burger Bar, located on the pool deck in the space formerly known as the Mast Grill. Here cruisers will be able to order gourmet burgers for an extra fee, like the new-to-the-line Celebrity Signature Burger, an eight-ounce dry-aged Kobe Beef burger with slow roasted pork belly, port salut cheese, arugula, caramelized onions, and roasted garlic aioli, all served on a homemade brioche bun."

The point of difference with Celebrity Ships is the GO big, GO better, GO best promotions. Whilst they offer something other cruise lines don't they are a step down from the 1,2, 3 promotions of a couple of years ago. Over recent weeks we have seen a downgrading of the Classic drink packages which for some will mean the end of X cruising. When one first joins an X ship we are subject to an upsell campaign from staff to upgrade drinks packages and take up specialty restaurants packages. This upsell campaign over recent times seems IMO to have increased in vigour and it seems to continue for a couple of days whereas once it was only on embarkation day. Bistro on 5 was not a money earner and I don't think Sushi on 5 is going to be the winner X hoped. What they have done is takeaway what was once part of the cruise cost and added a charge. The new burger bar I feel will be similar. If a burger is going to cost $US11 each then for the equivalent of two burgers which is $NZ30 with exchange rates I will walk back to the buffet to pick up my food. From a personal perspective I gave away specialty restaurants many cruises ago.

Recent threads about changes to X indicate that there are a lot of long term customers many Elite and above are now seriously considering changing cruise lines as in their view there is a gradual erosion of conditions that once made X that little bit different.

It may be that the drinks package point of difference will not be enough to stem a flow away from X cruises. Time will tell. I do note from Facebook pages that there are many new cruisers coming to X who don't know any different. Perhaps that's what X are now aiming at, more newbies and sayonara long term past customers.

Hank

Are you ready to cry foul now? The Burger Bar is a for fee option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Someone offered to let everyone know when they take the first cruise out of dry dock. Why get so worked up about this? The charge may only apply to the gourmet burger and not the other burgers since the "M" class ships do not have The Porch or the Lawn Club Grill.

Someone offered to let everyone know when they take the first cruise out of dry dock. Why get so worked up about this? The charge may only apply to the gourmet burger and not the other burgers since the "M" class ships do not have The Porch or the Lawn Club Grill.

If that was the case they would have mentioned it in the release. Also, as others have said, its not about a burger.

Is that the line with limited port times?

In your view, perhaps. One thing I loved about my MSC cruise last year was that we arrived in San Juan at 9AM and didn't set sail until 2AM. That afforded everyone a full day and night to enjoy San Juan and the surrounding areas. Celebrity usually doesn't arrive until 2 or 3 in the afternoon and you are gone by 11.

There are lots of options out there.

Death by a thousand cuts.

For the first time in several years, we only have one future cruise booked, next March on the Eclipse.

I'm similar, though with none booked now.

Not specifically because of this, but just the overall value proposition. Higher cruise costs, with fewer inclusions even when in a suite just isn't appealing.

Is that the line with limited port times?

We sailed Costa once, their port times are very short compared to Celebrity. 5 or 6 hours in some cases.

Getting back to the burgers, we've never had them at the mast grill, so highly unlikely that we'd pay extra at a speciality venue.

We have had great ones in Luminae, but I'd rather eat other dishes, specifically types of food that I don't cook at home.

It may be that the drinks package point of difference will not be enough to stem a flow away from X cruises. Time will tell. I do note from Facebook pages that there are many new cruisers coming to X who don't know any different. Perhaps that's what X are now aiming at, more newbies and sayonara long term past customers.

That's evident from marketing - in our region, in any case.

Unlike other lines which have past cruiser's discounts and promotions, Celebrity doesn't do this. On the other hand, marketing promote things that sound impressive to those new to the field e.g. "the highest-rated/5 star cruise line" and "newest ship" (when it was the case).

Hank

Did you miss my post on the previous page? They confirmed on Facebook that the burgers and hot dogs are a la carte pricing

Hank

On Celebrity's UK website the top deck burger bar is listed on the page of Speciality Restaurants and NOT on the seperate page of restaurants identified as included in your cruise fare. That would be a clear indication to me that you will have to pay extra to use that restaurant.

If it was still essentially free with the option to perhaps upgrade your burger then maybe it would remain on the page for restaurants included in your cruise fare, with perhaps a footnote stating some items carry an additional fee. At the moment that is not the case.

a++

exit 131 on the parkway was I

it will change for the worse and for the better at the same time.

maybe only the buffet should be free, no mdr and lots of specialty restaurants. lets take a vote.

I will stuff the ballot boxes.

exit 131 on the parkway was I

it will change for the worse and for the better at the same time.

maybe only the buffet should be free, no mdr and lots of specialty restaurants. lets take a vote.

I will stuff the ballot boxes.

Even better, get rid of all the cheap fares on Inside, Oceanview and no frills veranda cabins and start including EVERYTHING in the cruise fare (except shore excursions). Higher categories already pay a ridiculous amount of money and at this point I think we're essentially covering the costs of them discounting all the low end cabins. I'm so tired of all the nickel and diming and food in places like the MDR being lowered in quality to make specialty venues look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you miss my post on the previous page? They confirmed on Facebook that the burgers and hot dogs are a la carte pricing

Does that mean just those "fancy" ones will cost and there will be free options also available, like a "regular hamburger"...or is the whole menu a la carte?

This is copied from the Celebrity Facebook page.

From the horse's mouth, as they say:

Tracey Peat LaPointeto Celebrity Cruises

May 9 at 12:27am · Chaniá, Greece ·

Will there be a cost for the new burger bar on Conni

Comments

14494830_10154542565870879_5374236055875943377_n.jpg?oh=31b14a7acb449b3ef4d64ddb2d5b1f77&oe=59C0A757

Celebrity Cruises Hi Tracey,

Our new Top Deck Burger Bar will offer gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing.

No, did not notice that post (and apologize). We currently only have one future booking (for later this year) on X. Despite being Elite Plus, we are no longer certain that X will be in our future plans. If they do charge for burgers and hotdogs....this would just be more in a long line of cut-backs/price increases that have happened under the tenure of the current CEO. We are also planning on dumping our Celebrity stock since we fear for the future under this kind of short-thinking management philosophy.

Hank