Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

NOT paying extra...

Looks like we'll leave 1 of us to save the pool loungers..while the other trudges to the buffet to bring back the free burgers, dogs, chicken and quick lunch fixins..all without trays in the buffet..

Not very convenient...predict alot of food mess and spillage along the way

More Modern Luxury!

Glad to read that they will be charging for this burger! Too many people are sailing now with their hands out as if things like excellent food, drinks, excellent service are included and expected of a Modern Luxury cruise line. I mean, drinks with an 18% tip which is 2 points shy of 1/5 the cost for bringing the drink to me and even worst if I stand at counter to get it! I wish I could tip excellent service and not poor service, but like 'suggested' gratuities, they are now 'included'!

Makes sense to me (and dollars to them) to charge for all kinds of upgraded products and services while at the same time lowering the value proposition for the 'included' product or service. If they don't create a value differentiation very few would spend the money for the additional charge services/products. Take Speciality restaurants. If I recall correctly, at first they were $20 and now most are $45 to $50 (suggested retail) with a couple of exceptions. Just to be clear, I believe that they do dumb down products/services to create added value for the fee based service/product.

Some will argue they have reduced the base price, which on my recent sailings does not seem to be the case. I must be always booking the most popular times/ships/cabins...every time!

I do have a choice and understand, so I am somewhat tongue in cheek, but there is a limit to the nickel and dining, at least for me as we all have options. I do not like the buffet typically as I really do not like the idea of so many people right around the food I am going to plate and the MDR service and concept has changed over the years to one of no longer an evening event with your table mates but to one of a default eating table if you are not wanting to spend money you cheap bum. Your DW deserves better!

On the UK web site the Top Deck Burger Bar is listed under the tab "Speciality Dining" and not under "Complimentary Dining"

Gourmet Burgers / Dirty Burgers are so popular these days (let them eat mince), but the best places don't use freezers, is that going to happen at sea? Also the whole thing about BYOB is a bit overblown - lettuce, tomato, pickle, mayo, hot sauce - cost pennies. They should just put a Five Guys franchise on board.

We checked with Celebrity Cruises to get an answer to this question and have updated our news article appropriately. The Top Deck Burger Bar will cost extra.

Could you ask what the roll out schedule is for replacing The Mast Grill on the rest of the fleet?

Have to remember to pack our travel trays for getting lunch from the buffet...

I imagine some will pay for these burgers, but more will not and only add to the crowd at the buffet,.....or the AQ spa cafe if that remains included in the cruise fare..It has some of the best food on board but has become very crowded...

Have to remember to pack our travel trays for getting lunch from the buffet...

Didn't you need trays when you got food at the Mast Grill, since it was one flight up from the pool. When I went up, they gave me an extra plate to put over my hamburger and fries to take down to the pool deck. At least the buffet is on the same deck as the pool.

Could you ask what the roll out schedule is for replacing The Mast Grill on the rest of the fleet?

Quite possible they will wait and see how successful (i.e. profitable) the new venue is before they make a decision on whether or not to install it fleet wide; the information you are requesting is likely unknown at this point.

Some will argue they have reduced the base price, which on my recent sailings does not seem to be the case. I must be always booking the most popular times/ships/cabins...every time!

...!

The Constellation (ex Venice) has some really expensive prices for a Balcony the last couple if years - we were seeing prices north of £6000 ($8000) over a long period (so not a glitch) for a 10 or 11 night cruise med cruise - not including flights. Gourmet Burgers are cheap and a huge profit centre (particularly when they start charging you a la carte prices for the extras) - extras are pennies and staff costs are no different to cheap burgers - 1 burger flipper. They can offer decent quality burgers at that price

So if you are not in a suite or concierge, your only option for eating free on embarkation day Is buffet and aqua spa cafe.
They could always add Aqua Class to the Concierge Class lunch in the dining room, as there was more than enough room.

Glad to read that they will be charging for this burger! Too many people are sailing now with their hands out as if things like excellent food, drinks, excellent service are included and expected of a Modern Luxury cruise line. I mean, drinks with an 18% tip which is 2 points shy of 1/5 the cost for bringing the drink to me and even worst if I stand at counter to get it! I wish I could tip excellent service and not poor service, but like 'suggested' gratuities, they are now 'included'!

Makes sense to me (and dollars to them) to charge for all kinds of upgraded products and services while at the same time lowering the value proposition for the 'included' product or service. If they don't create a value differentiation very few would spend the money for the additional charge services/products. Take Speciality restaurants. If I recall correctly, at first they were $20 and now most are $45 to $50 (suggested retail) with a couple of exceptions. Just to be clear, I believe that they do dumb down products/services to create added value for the fee based service/product.

I do have a choice and understand, so I am somewhat tongue in cheek, but there is a limit to the nickel and dining, at least for me as we all have options. I do not like the buffet typically as I really do not like the idea of so many people right around the food I am going to plate and the MDR service and concept has changed over the years to one of no longer an evening event with your table mates but to one of a default eating table if you are not wanting to spend money you cheap bum. Your DW deserves better!

Spot on post!

I have to say that combined with the other "improvements" they have been making these past few years, if this goes fleetwide, while my ass was partially out the door already, this will be the "improvement" that will make the door hit it on the way out.

Edited by richsea

They could always add Aqua Class to the Concierge Class lunch in the dining room, as there was more than enough room.

But that would defeat the whole purpose, which is to push slow-moving Concierge cabins by giving something exclusive.

In the past we've enjoyed the vegetarian burgers but there is absolutely NO WAY we're paying extra for them.

I can only hope this is a trial on the Constellation and that it fails miserably.

On the UK web site the Top Deck Burger Bar is listed under the tab "Speciality Dining" and not under "Complimentary Dining"

Gourmet Burgers / Dirty Burgers are so popular these days (let them eat mince), but the best places don't use freezers, is that going to happen at sea? Also the whole thing about BYOB is a bit overblown - lettuce, tomato, pickle, mayo, hot sauce - cost pennies. They should just put a Five Guys franchise on board.

Yes, the meat will be frozen. Virtually all provisions, save fruits and vegetables, are sourced in Miami, placed in containers and shipped worldwide. Orders finalized 90 days in advance and provisions leave Miami 30 or more days in advance depending on destination. No way of keeping "Kobe" beef fresh for months without freezing.

Spot on post!

I have to say that combined with the other "improvements" they have been making these past few years, if this goes fleetwide, while my ass was partially out the door already, this will be the "improvement" that will make the door hit it on the way out.

My thoughts entirely. I wonder what the next upscale to add a fee will be? Perhaps $25 for a pair of beds and a bucket of beer? :rolleyes:

We have just one cruise in the pipe with X and are starting to look round the other lines now.

Spot on post!

Where will you and your sore hind end be headed? You have to either upgrade or downgrade because the players in the middle are all doing the exact same thing.

Where will you and your sore hind end be headed? You have to either upgrade or downgrade because the players in the middle are all doing the exact same thing.

I think some will do land based trips. Especially in Europe, you can spend a few days in a city, take a very efficient train to another great town and do it again. With so many lodging options (especially the airbnb type ones) and ease of travel within the area, it is a very good option.

True. But I have not experienced the slow dumbing down of the other lines, only Celebrity; having sailed with them for 20 years. Princess offers a very similar cruise experience to that of Celebrity, & while I am aware that there are those on the Princess boards who also complain of cutbacks or changes, I like what I see NOW on Princess, so will probably end up there. Or Holland America. Or Royal Caribbean. Or even back to Celebrity from time to time if their prices come out of the stratosphere.

In the past we've enjoyed the vegetarian burgers but there is absolutely NO WAY we're paying extra for them.

I can only hope this is a trial on the Constellation and that it fails miserably.

Hi Karen! Well weren't you the smarty pants to figure this out first. ;)

We had Luminae our last cruise and they have an awesome burger there for lunch some days - but 2 or 3 times over the 15 nights - I did not want to have a lengthy experience and instead - went to the Mast Bar.

While not gourmet by any standards it was fast, hot and tasted pretty good (helped by a cocktail of course). Sad that this is going the way of the Dodo bird.

Cruising used to be almost all inclusive except for drinks. Now the price of cruising, unless in the top suites, is just the basic price to get on the ship - everything is an uncharge. :(

Hi Karen! Well weren't you the smarty pants to figure this out first. ;)

We had Luminae our last cruise and they have an awesome burger there for lunch some days - but 2 or 3 times over the 15 nights - I did not want to have a lengthy experience and instead - went to the Mast Bar.

While not gourmet by any standards it was fast, hot and tasted pretty good (helped by a cocktail of course). Sad that this is going the way of the Dodo bird.

Cruising used to be almost all inclusive except for drinks. Now the price of cruising, unless in the top suites, is just the basic price to get on the ship - everything is an uncharge. :(

Hi Jane !!! :D

I really wish I wasn't so cynical and I really wish I had been wrong! :(

I agree about all of the upcharges! We are still sailing in Aqua and, while it isn't as expensive as being in a suite, it is still plenty expensive and all of the upcharges and cutbacks are annoying if nothing else.

If you remember we were originally Princess cruisers and it looks like we're back there. (Feb. 2018 is pretty locked in for the last of the 14 day Eclipse cruises but Princess has a great 28 day LA-Tahiti round trip in the fall and spring and some great New Years options)

Winter 2019 also looks like Princess.

Although we loved our cruise on Silhouette, we are booked on Viking next cruise, and I switched from constellation to Oceania for Venice next summer. I really don't like the direction Celebrity is going. Soon they will be nothing different or special anymore. With that being said, we are going to try the sky suite on the Edge in March 2019. Anything after that, will be based on itinerary and our impressions after being on all three lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True. But I have not experienced the slow dumbing down of the other lines, only Celebrity; having sailed with them for 20 years. Princess offers a very similar cruise experience to that of Celebrity, & while I am aware that there are those on the Princess boards who also complain of cutbacks or changes, I like what I see NOW on Princess, so will probably end up there. Or Holland America. Or Royal Caribbean. Or even back to Celebrity from time to time if their prices come out of the stratosphere.

Same here, have seen this dumbing down of Celebrity over 20+ years. We are doing a cruise in Sept which may be our last on Celebrity. I realize things change but this is just plain silly.

imo burgers at the mast grill have always been fresher and juicier than those at the buffet. Would hate to lose them. Probably too much to hope for that the new venue will continue to offer a free basic burger in addition to the pay gourmet ones. If not you'll see more folks in dripping bathing suits at the buffet (against the rules but rarely enforced).