Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

This is copied from the Celebrity Facebook page.

From the horse's mouth, as they say:

Tracey Peat LaPointeto Celebrity Cruises

May 9 at 12:27am · Chaniá, Greece ·

Will there be a cost for the new burger bar on Conni

Comments

14494830_10154542565870879_5374236055875943377_n.jpg?oh=31b14a7acb449b3ef4d64ddb2d5b1f77&oe=59C0A757

Celebrity Cruises Hi Tracey,

Our new Top Deck Burger Bar will offer gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing.

Celebrity CruisesHi Tracey,

Our new Top Deck Burger Bar will offer gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing.

So gourmet offerings will carry a surcharge.

No mention whether "regular" burgers and dogs will be available. My guess is like the Aqua Spa Cafe yes regular offerings will be still free.

Celebrity CruisesHi Tracey,

So gourmet offerings will carry a surcharge.

No mention whether "regular" burgers and dogs will be available. My guess is like the Aqua Spa Cafe yes regular offerings will be still free.

My guess (based on Celebrity's UK website) is that it will not...

Aqua Spa Cafe (on the UK site) is still classed as a complimentary dining venue, despite the upsell on certain items. Top Deck is listed as a Specialty Restaurant and not complimentary

Good Bye Free Burgers and Mast Grill.

Thank you to the posters who note the ongoing trend involving the removal of previous "included" items and replacement with a downgraded substitute or "for a fee".

What I note is the increasing cost, complexity and reduction in the predictability of the product delivered by all cruise lines. I am not interested in having to undertake an audit to certify that I received; a) what I paid for at the time of booking and b) and the quality standard inferred at the time of booking. The corporate bull "pushing the boundries" trying to sell more "for fee" stuff is also noted and dismissed.

In the previous life of Celebrity, booking year after year one knew that the experience and product (for everyone I might add) was premium quality and consistently good. It was the 3 pm sorbet by the pool which made you know that you were not really on a mass cruise line. That earned Celebrity its past reputation as a premium cruise line. Gone.

This burger thread is just another example of the erosion of a once great cruise line - but then there are other cruise supply choices out there including the choice not to cruise at all.

Happy sailing to all

Thank you to the posters who note the ongoing trend involving the removal of previous "included" items and replacement with a downgraded substitute or "for a fee".

What I note is the increasing cost, complexity and reduction in the predictability of the product delivered by all cruise lines. I am not interested in having to undertake an audit to certify that I received; a) what I paid for at the time of booking and b) and the quality standard inferred at the time of booking. The corporate bull "pushing the boundries" trying to sell more "for fee" stuff is also noted and dismissed.

In the previous life of Celebrity, booking year after year one knew that the experience and product (for everyone I might add) was premium quality and consistently good. It was the 3 pm sorbet by the pool which made you know that you were not really on a mass cruise line. That earned Celebrity its past reputation as a premium cruise line. Gone.

This burger thread is just another example of the erosion of a once great cruise line - but then there are other cruise supply choices out there including the choice not to cruise at all.

Happy sailing to all

Thank you for your post. It is one of the best posts I have see on CC in a while.

No, did not notice that post (and apologize). We currently only have one future booking (for later this year) on X. Despite being Elite Plus, we are no longer certain that X will be in our future plans. If they do charge for burgers and hotdogs....this would just be more in a long line of cut-backs/price increases that have happened under the tenure of the current CEO. We are also planning on dumping our Celebrity stock since we fear for the future under this kind of short-thinking management philosophy.

Hank

No apology needed. I'm currently sitting in my luxury collection hotel room in Crete and quite happy to kiss Celebrity goodbye. Half the cost, bring your own drinks, free wifi, and a plunge pool.

I am seeing a trend with Celebrity. If it is popular, start charging for it. Example: sushi in the Oceanview in the afternoon- many people took advantage of that. Suddenly, a additional cost Sushi Bar replaces a not overly popular restaurant. Mast Grill- I rarely go there, but am well aware that it is loved by many. So, let's start charging for burgers by the pool. People complained that it was (and still is) impossible to get a seat by the pool because of all the saving of loungers. Solution-instead of having the pool butlers monitor the situation, set up cabanas and rent them out so those willing to pay for it can be guaranteed a seat.

I guess the simple solution is to more or less boycott these changes. But, there are many new passengers every year, they don't know how it used to be, and are willing to pay for these things. We need to accept the fact that if it can generate revenue, current executives are going to go for that. Passenger expectations be damned. They simply are not interested in passenger loyalty because new passengers spend more $$ than those of us who have cruised many times.

Happy sailing to all

Like.👍👍👍

To be honest the free burgers and hot dogs at Mast Grill were high fat varieties and not all that good. Usually overcooked. Sometimes cold. Cheese not melted - just an add on. Yes convenient to the pool. Similar to the burgers and dogs in the Oceanview Cafe which are still there and still free. Just requires a bit more effort for those at the pool. So the Top Deck Burger Bar is an added option to get an actual good burger as you would want it - even though at a price. What is wrong with that? For those that don't want to pay for a better burger go the the Oceanview. Or go have lunch in the MDR on Sea Days where the burgers served are better than Oceanview but still free. For those with Suites the Luminae burger is excellent. Why is every change perceived as negative - a take away? I consider it a nice option to actually have a much better burger for lunch that didn't exist before.

We hear folks are leaving because of every change that is made, but surprisingly most are still here.

I don't want to pay for a buger eitherl, but I'll just find something else to eat and I don't think I'll go hungry if the Mast Grill is gone.

Glad not to be included in most. :p As an NCL shareholder I applaud the burger charge. I hope they charge for feather pillows and egg create mattress toppers too.

To those who expect to get the burger in the buffet and return to the pool, remember what they did with the free sushi when they opened Sushi on 5?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

How much would you pay for these offerings?

The Surf & Turf

Grilled Florida lobster Medallions, sliced Black Angus Filet Mignon, Tomato on Toasted Ciabatta, Garlic Roasted Jusand Remoulade dipping sauce with Parmesan dusted Truffle Fries.

or

The KOBE Burger:

Wagyu Beef, Black Truffle sauce and Baby Cress

They're FREE in Waves Grill.

|

To be honest the free burgers and hot dogs at Mast Grill were high fat varieties and not all that good. Usually overcooked. Sometimes cold. Cheese not melted - just an add on. Yes convenient to the pool. Similar to the burgers and dogs in the Oceanview Cafe which are still there and still free. Just requires a bit more effort for those at the pool. So the Top Deck Burger Bar is an added option to get an actual good burger as you would want it - even though at a price. What is wrong with that? For those that don't want to pay for a better burger go the the Oceanview. Or go have lunch in the MDR on Sea Days where the burgers served are better than Oceanview but still free. For those with Suites the Luminae burger is excellent. Why is every change perceived as negative - a take away? I consider it a nice option to actually have a much better burger for lunch that didn't exist before.

It's a take away. Removing an included venue to a pay venue.

See post 110 above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is the goal of most companies. For sure, investors purchasing stock must see, over time, an acceptable ROI or they will take their money elsewhere too. Just look at Royal's stock price. Why would anyone, in theory, accept over the long term a 2% return when there are 5% returns with no additional risk. Clearly there are other factors in the decision.

I think it is more in the way cruise lines do it. I personally have NO issue with a premium product or service being added, but I cannot see the value ($$$) they place on these till you realize they are reducing the value of the current or free product. To me that smacks.

I too was a CFO in multiple private companies and also COO in last 2 my investor group owned. I loved high margins and we had some benchmarks for products and services. With high margins, we were always the best product/ service in our category, we paid our employees very well, we were good to our vendors and we were good corporate citizens.

So profit is important unless you have unlimited cash. For me, the value proposition is getting smaller with cruises. Personally, I do not like to be constantly charged for things that one would think are included. Charging for a hamburger and/or hot dog on a supposed premium class cruise line?!

Next up might be the premium fee based 'custard' vs regular old ice cream? I can only assume Celebrity is moving down stream for their inside/oceanview and standard cabins placing fees everywhere as they supposedly keep base fares low to match the competition and moving up stream with their suite products. Not sure where CC and AQ fit yet.

Agree with this and I'm not sure if I've had more than two burgers at pool side grills in my last dozen cruises on any line. I do like quality burgers, but will wait to see the pricing. I can't see people stop cruising with a cruise line over this, but who knows? It won't impact my decision or my cruise on the Constellation in July. For now, I see this more as people being more upset in theory with another upcharge and appearance of nickle and diming by a cruise line. In reality, Celebrity has been innovative among mass market lines in moving to a la carte experiences with things like aqua class and blu and to beverage packages. This is just one more step and a different use of a space.

.... For now, I see this more as people being more upset in theory with another upcharge and appearance of nickle and diming by a cruise line. In reality, Celebrity has been innovative among mass market lines in moving to a la carte experiences with things like aqua class and blu and to beverage packages. This is just one more step and a different use of a space.

I don't know if I would classify it as "innovative"?

Next they will do like vegas and charge a daily resort fee.

We are the proverbial frog in the pot of water on the stove!

Why don't you think aqua class and Blu are innovative? It seems to fit the definition.

Not sure about a daily resort fee. Most people still know how to calculate total price for a cruise.

I certainly believe that Carnival hit a home run making their upscale burgers (made with fresh ground beef and Guy Fieri recipe) available at no charge. Other lines should take note on that one.

We love the burgers and fries at the Mast Grill, we have them almost everyday. If they are cold, or you want the cheese melted, just ask and they'll be glad to make it the way you want. If they change to for a free venue it's not a deal breaker but it might be the straw that broke the camel's back according to the proverb. We look at the pluses and minuses in deciding if we will book a cruise and this is a minus. Been getting a lot more minuses and we've gone from 45-55 days a year over the last six years (all on Celebrity and RCL), to none booked or planned in 2017 and beyond. Time will tell.

No apology needed. I'm currently sitting in my luxury collection hotel room in Crete and quite happy to kiss Celebrity goodbye. Half the cost, bring your own drinks, free wifi, and a plunge pool.

Same here, we have a time share we go to for eight weeks a year. We'll just make it 10 weeks without any extra costs. Just float in our lazy river a little more.

I said that last year! :eek::eek:

We are vegetarians.

There is no veggie burger (to my knowledge) at the buffet.

Yes, there are other options but, as another poster said, I envision lots of people will now be in the buffet in their swimsuits as the only included outdoor dining option has been eliminated.

And are they going to prevent you from going into the buffet for a burger or hot dog.

This is enough to prevent me from going to the buffet for a burger. This picture was taken in the Equinox buffet this past December. YUM!

IMG_1825_zpsjaiqp1wk.jpg

You want cheese with that?

Isn't that what the current Mast Grill burgers look like? I'd read about them on here so often that I was disappointed to see them when I finally did.

The fear (already expressed by others) is that they'll remove the free burgers and hot dogs from the Oceanview so that your only choice is to buy one or do without.