Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

I went on the Celebrity website and looked at all the eating venues and they mention the cost of each location. I will be on the Silhouette in a week and the Mast Grill is not even mentioned but the Lawn Club Grill is mentioned for an extra fee of $45. All other restaurants that have fees are mentioned and the MDR and the main buffet as expected has no fee. Thus it appears that the Lawn Club on the Silhouette is similar to the Mast Club on the smaller ships. I too do not want to pay for burgers.

Rick

I went on the Celebrity website and looked at all the eating venues and they mention the cost of each location. I will be on the Silhouette in a week and the Mast Grill is not even mentioned but the Lawn Club Grill is mentioned for an extra fee of $45. All other restaurants that have fees are mentioned and the MDR and the main buffet as expected has no fee. Thus it appears that the Lawn Club on the Silhouette is similar to the Mast Club on the smaller ships. I too do not want to pay for burgers.

Rick

According to the deck plans, the Mast Grill is on the Lido deck.

Didn't you need trays when you got food at the Mast Grill, since it was one flight up from the pool. When I went up, they gave me an extra plate to put over my hamburger and fries to take down to the pool deck. At least the buffet is on the same deck as the pool.

Quick trip up and down for burgers and fries...visit to buffet will require more time so maybe get more food..,..not going all the way back for seconds or ketchup,,,

imo burgers at the mast grill have always been fresher and juicier than those at the buffet. Would hate to lose them. Probably too much to hope for that the new venue will continue to offer a free basic burger in addition to the pay gourmet ones. .

We're about to do our first Celebrity cruise, so I can't comment on the current burgers, but Princess just updated the grill on the Caribbean Princess to include the Earnesto Burger (based on the burgers at Unami Burger I think). It's served in the pay Salty Dog pub that's on a few ships. The menu that I saw had that for 5.00 and the basic burger still free. Hopefully that's what Celebrity will do.

I don't eat hot dogs and hamburgers and fries on a cruise, there is so much other food that is available. I'm not crying over this one if they change the venue. When they start charging for the Oceanview Cafe then I get annoyed... (oh no, shouldn't give them any ideas).:eek:

I heard they were going to take away free deck chairs

I heard they were going to take away free towels

I heard they were going to take away free hamburgers

I heard they were going to take away free shampoo

I heard they were going to take away free clothing hangers

I heard they were going to take away free luggage tags

Until any of this happens I wouldn't worry about it

Why worry about something that may happen? And personally if it does, I'd much rather have them tack on a few dollars and provide a premium product, than raise fares, at least this way its my option whether I purchase it or not.

I have enjoyed my cruises on Celebrity. I had been thinking about leaving to a more inclusive/luxury line. Last year I moved up to the suites, and very much enjoyed the experience. So I booked two more Celebrity cruises. But this nickel and diming while continuing to raise prices is souring me. When I booked these two cruises I could have gotten Regent or Crystal for about the same price as Sky Suites on Celebrity. No charges for pool deck burgers there!

It isn't so much the money as it is the continuing process of cheapening the experience.

Just reading an article about it and there is a fee,

New to the line will be the Top Deck Burger Bar, located on the pool deck in the space formerly known as the Mast Grill. Here cruisers will be able to order gourmet burgers for an extra fee,

It is disappointing . The Mast Grill was a nice alternative. I'm not looking for a Kobe beef hamburger with slow roasted pork belly, etc. at the pool.

Don't worry; the only way you'll get Kobe beef on a Celebrity cruise is if it is an Asian itinerary that stops at Kobe, Japan and you spring a couple hundred per/person for some Kobe beef while at port.

We checked with Celebrity Cruises to get an answer to this question and have updated our news article appropriately. The Top Deck Burger Bar will cost extra.

Thanks Dori.

Wow, now burgers even cost extra on Celebrity. It's like it's bringing them down to 3* level.

I heard they were going to take away free deck chairs

I heard they were going to take away free towels

I heard they were going to take away free hamburgers

I heard they were going to take away free shampoo

I heard they were going to take away free clothing hangers

I heard they were going to take away free luggage tags

Until any of this happens I wouldn't worry about it

Why worry about something that may happen? And personally if it does, I'd much rather have them tack on a few dollars and provide a premium product, than raise fares, at least this way its my option whether I purchase it or not.

Except they've been raising fares too.

And it's not as though they're in dire straits and this is the only solution that means they don't have to increase. It's just extra profit.

So now you get higher fares - and more charges onboard!

That's how I read it. HAL is probably their closest competitor and they are doing what they did to upgrade the hamburger experience.

On HAL, you are given a beeper and burgers are cooked to order. It has been highly successful.

You pay a fee if you order a dive inn burger with room service !!!!

Hopefully it will be like the Aqua Spa Café... pay for options plus freebies.. Like the choice to get a regular free burger and then a choice to buy the gourmet versions

Although I don't bother with burgers , dogs and fries while cruising I feel that charging at this venue is a mistake.. and will bring many more people into the buffet along with empty food plates under loungers because it is too far to return them

I don't eat hot dogs and hamburgers and fries on a cruise, there is so much other food that is available. I'm not crying over this one if they change the venue. When they start charging for the Oceanview Cafe then I get annoyed... (oh no, shouldn't give them any ideas).:eek:

Pizza will be next.

Hopefully it will be like the Aqua Spa Café... pay for options plus freebies.. Like the choice to get a regular free burger and then a choice to buy the gourmet versions

Although I don't bother with burgers , dogs and fries while cruising I feel that charging at this venue is a mistake.. and will bring many more people into the buffet along with empty food plates under loungers because it is too far to return them

That's my guess.

They claim to be serving burger using dry aged meats. If that's the case, it is a big improvement because every piece of beef you get on a mass market cruise ship is previously frozen (other than dry aged steaks in some, but not all, steak joints on cruise ships). The next question is how much they'll charge for this burger. High end places like Umami in California get $9 to $13 for a burger and even Wahlburgers gets $7 to $10. I would hope that a cruise ship wouldn't charge more than $5 for a high quality burger made from fresh meat.

It is really non-existent as a venue as far as I was concerned. It is still just the Passport Bar with a wider selection of beer. There is a pub menu that you have to ask to see, because it is never displayed. I never saw anyone eating in this venue. My understanding is that they have some pub fare along with a hamburger, grilled cheese, steak pie, etc. I have attached a menu posted from another cruiser on another ship as an example. Sorry I could not offer much more.

IMG_1641_zpsacx4sxyi.jpg

They claim to be serving burger using dry aged meats. If that's the case, it is a big improvement because every piece of beef you get on a mass market cruise ship is previously frozen (other than dry aged steaks in some, but not all, steak joints on cruise ships). The next question is how much they'll charge for this burger. High end places like Umami in California get $9 to $13 for a burger and even Wahlburgers gets $7 to $10. I would hope that a cruise ship wouldn't charge more than $5 for a high quality burger made from fresh meat.

Sorry but it looks to be more in the $12 range! :( *** :eek: *** :(

(Above is the Gastro Bar menu - I think the food didn't go over well there so now they're trying it outside near the pool , where most cruisers are during the day.)