Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

I don't know? Will it be okay to go get them in my swim-wear and bare feet.

Last year I was in the Aqua Spa Cafe when a woman in a dripping wet bathing suit walked up to order the salmon that was that day's special.

The young man behind the counter said something like "Mam, you are not allowed to order here in a bathing suit". She responded with something pretty hostile and he just said "Well I'm just letting you know what the policy is..... I'll get that salmon for you"

So the answer is YES - you and everyone else in their swim wear will be in the buffet.

I think pax who have cruised many times over the years get to a point when they say 'enough is enough' - the cuts start to impact on the enjoyment of the cruise because in their mind is the 'remember when'. It obviously hits at different times for different guests, and when they see the included offerings (thanks for the photo, Steve), they realise it's time to venture elsewhere. Even if other cruise lines are having the same cutbacks, it wouldn't be as noticeable because on that other line they are oblivious to the 'old ways'.

Personally, I don't eat burgers but I do feel for those that did like the Mast Grill's offerings.

And are they going to prevent you from going into the buffet for a burger or hot dog.

What makes you think you will even be able to get a burger or hot dog in the buffet? It is likely that stuff will disappear.

Hank

And are they going to prevent you from going into the buffet for a burger or hot dog.

Based on past business practices, they will simply remove the free burgers from the Oceanview's menu once the $$$ burger joint opens.

Hank, you type faster than I, but great minds think alike! :)

Hi Everyone,

Re - Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation. This is what I'm hearing :

The complimentary items served at the Mast Grill, will remain complimentary, and will be moved to the Oceanview Buffet.

I'm hearing the price for the Burger at Top Deck will be $9.95 and will include French Fries. Before everyone goes wild (LOL), I'm hearing it will be a top shelf Gourmet Burger.

I fully appreciate that many folks do not want to pay extra for new concepts. Fair enough. However, I strongly feel that as long as the complimentary items will remain, (and, as someone who loves a great burger), I see this as an interesting concept. Choice is good. At the very least, I'm willing to be open minded. While I'd love to try the burger... sadly, we have no immediate plans to sail on Connie, so I look forward to onboard reports from our members.

While none of us have tasted the burger, I know someone who has, and said - it's the best burger you will ever taste. Wouldn't it be prudent to wait for live reports, and your own personal experiences, before any of us can fairly pass judgement on the new venue ? IMHO, it's way too soon to tell. Just my .02 cents !

Hope this is helpful !

Hi Everyone,

The complimentary items served at the Mast Grill, will remain complimentary, and will be moved to the Ocenview Buffet.

!

Will it be okay to go get them in my swim-wear and bare feet? I don't plan of grabbing a burger and having to dress.... never had to before.... maybe time to open up the buffet at lunch to all, wet and dry!

This is enough to prevent me from going to the buffet for a burger. This picture was taken in the Equinox buffet this past December. YUM!

IMG_1825_zpsjaiqp1wk.jpg

You want cheese with that?

Yum!! Reminds me of the gray burgers on in Windjammer's on Liberty of the Seas.

Andy,

With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, the complimentary burgers and hot dogs are already at the buffet. What did you mean by moving them? Don't they use the same frozen patties at both locations currently?

Do you know what the difference will be between the current Gastro Pub burger for $12 and the $9.95 new and improved Top Shelf gourmet burger?

BTW is the person who has tasted the gourmet burger and reported it was the best you will ever taste, a Celebrity employee?

Hi Everyone,

The complimentary items served at the Mast Grill, will remain complimentary, and will be moved to the Oceanview Buffet.

I'm hearing the price for the Burger at Top Deck will be $9.95 and will include French Fries. Before everyone goes wild (LOL), I'm hearing it will be a top shelf Gourmet Burger.

I fully appreciate that many folks do not want to pay extra for new concepts. Fair enough. However, I strongly feel that as long as the complimentary items will remain, (and, as someone who loves a great burger), I see this as an interesting concept. Choice is good. At the very least, I'm willing to be open minded. While I'd love to try the burger... sadly, we have no immediate plans to sail on Connie, so I look forward to onboard reports from our members.

While none of us have tasted the burger, I know someone who has, and said - it's the best burger you will ever taste. Wouldn't it be prudent to wait for live reports, and your own personal experiences, before any of us can fairly pass judgement on the new venue ? IMHO, it's way too soon to tell. Just my .02 cents !

Hope this is helpful !

Hi Andy! Thanks for the clarification.

Miss you around here. It was nice to have a moderator that joined in.

Hi Rich,

I saw one of the gray burgers on Oasis last Summer. Not only did it stop me from trying the burger... but it was enough for me to leave the buffet and never return for the remainder of the Cruise.

Besides, when you have the incredible Kummelweck Sandwich at the Park Cafe - who needs anything else !!! :) . I've said it before, and I will say it again.... Celebrity MUST find a way to offer this sandwich on their ships. IMO, It's THE best beef sandwich at sea.

Getting back on topic, we thought the burgers on Eclipse a few weeks ago, remain quite good. Certainly good enough for a quick lunch bite. The hot dog was very good too.

As always, the topic of food remains extremely subjective.

Andy,

With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, the complimentary burgers and hot dogs are already at the buffet. What did you mean by moving them? Don't they use the same frozen patties at both locations currently?

Hi Steve,

I find that interesting. When we were on Eclipse a few weeks ago, they did not offer burgers or hot dogs at the buffet. I've only seen an S-Class ship offer burgers and hot dogs, and that was one day only... when it was raining all day. Perhaps that's something being offered on the M-Class ships ? I have not sailed on an M-Class ship in a while. Perhaps when X offers the short sailings from Port Everglades, we'll be back onboard :)

As for the frozen or non-frozen debate, I suspect most everything is frozen on ships, but cannot comment with any certainty on the new burger bar offerings.

Are you ready to cry foul now? The Burger Bar is a for fee option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Guess we could cry "fowl" if they had grilled chicken sandwiches. But yeah, we think it truly sucks. And personally we will unlikely be sucked into booking suites so we can get better food. Once we get to that price point we start heading back to Crystal or Regent where we really get something special for our extra dollars. Celebrity are mass market ships....and paying up so one can get better cuisine...still has you cruising on a mass market ship. For the big bucks we prefer not to be nickel and dimed, not having to fight to get a deck chair, not coming back to our cabin at noon to find out that our overworked steward did not have time to make up our cabin, etc.

A few years ago we stopped (cold turkey) cruising on RCI (where we had been Diamond for many years) because of cut-backs, nickel and diming, etc. Celebrity seemed like a step-up and has been one of our "go to" lines. But now, Celebrity is going downhill to more of a RCI experience.... so we will be going elsewhere. Only have 21 days booked with Celebrity....and it will possibly be our last 21 unless things quickly turn around.

Hank

Hi Andy! Thanks for the clarification.

Miss you around here. It was nice to have a moderator that joined in.

Thanks Rich. I only wish work wasn't so busy (the stock market is crazy), and I'm already working 20 hours a day.... so it's hard to find time to participate as much as I'd like. Believe me, I still care very much about Celebrity (we're sailing again on Equinox in 2 weeks), and I will always deeply care about the wonderful Cruise Critic community.

As always, I'll try to post more, especially when it's something critical to the community.

Wouldn't it be prudent to wait for live reports, and your own personal experiences, before any of us can fairly pass judgement on the new venue ?

Good point. But don't most of us need something constructive to do to pass the time at work!?!?!?!?!

Last week aboard Silhouette the Lawn Club ran a special gourmet burger lunch for 50% off (7.50) with sit-down waiter service. So, like every other fee-based Celebrity eatery, I suspect you'll be able to negotiate a $5 gourmet burger at the Top Deck burger bar.....

At the Oceanview on Silhouette today, the burgers line was backed-up with people requesting a fresh burger off of the grill, the reason I oveheard cited being "those are badly overcooked". Hopefully, they'll get the message.

We've never noticed burgers/dogs in the buffet, so I'm glad to see them added. On our Alaska cruise on the Solstice it was raining outside and we were in the mood for a burger. We were told by staff in the buffet that the only place to get one was at the Mast Grill. Yes, in the pouring rain. Trust me, they weren't doing much business!

Hi Steve,

I find that interesting. When we were on Eclipse a few weeks ago, they did not offer burgers or hot dogs at the buffet. I've only seen an S-Class ship offer burgers and hot dogs, and that was one day only... when it was raining all day. Perhaps that's something being offered on the M-Class ships ? I have not sailed on an M-Class ship in a while. Perhaps when X offers the short sailings from Port Everglades, we'll be back onboard :)

As for the frozen or non-frozen debate, I suspect most everything is frozen on ships, but cannot comment with any certainty on the new burger bar offerings.

At the Oceanview on Silhouette today, the burgers line was backed-up with people requesting a fresh burger off of the grill, the reason I oveheard cited being "those are badly overcooked". Hopefully, they'll get the message.

Andy - I wonder if you missed the hamburger, hot dog area because the buffet is so large.

It sounds like it's on the Silhouette.

Still a pain to go inside when we're spending the day at pool - which is where we usually are. :(

We are vegan (husband) and vegetarian (me) who sail in Aqua class.

I'm aware that our food costs are less for Celebrity than the meat, lobster, etc. eaters.

There is absolutely NO WAY I'm paying an upcharge for a veggie burger.

Interesting point. I recall when Michel Roux was in charge of Celebrity's cuisine back in the 90s & early 2000s, they boasted that all foods on the ship were made from scratch; all fresh & none frozen. Times (& their food) have certainly changed since then.

they will if you are in your bathing suit... I have been stopped when going for water. must cover up and wear shoes...

Andy - I wonder if you missed the hamburger, hot dog area because the buffet is so large.

It sounds like it's on the Silhouette.

Hi Karen,

In the past year, we've sailed on Equinox and Eclipse a few times, including last month on Eclipse. I've not seen a hamburger or hot dog at the Buffet (other than the one time mentioned above). On our last 2 EC sailings, one day they offered a sausage link in a delicious puff pastry - (which was desperately calling out for a hot dog instead) but that was the closest I've seen.

Believe me, if there's someone who's seen every inch of Celebrity's buffet, and tasted most all of it.... that person would be me :), so I'm certain I have not missed it.

I'm on Equinox in 2 weeks, and will report if there's any changes.

Last year I was in the Aqua Spa Cafe when a woman in a dripping wet bathing suit walked up to order the salmon that was that day's special.

The young man behind the counter said something like "Mam, you are not allowed to order here in a bathing suit". She responded with something pretty hostile and he just said "Well I'm just letting you know what the policy is..... I'll get that salmon for you"

So the answer is YES - you and everyone else in their swim wear will be in the buffet.

Little confused, Aqua Spa cafes are all in the Solarium which is a pool area, you see people in bathing suits all day ordering food. I have done it myself.

Interesting point. I recall when Michel Roux was in charge of Celebrity's cuisine back in the 90s & early 2000s, they boasted that all foods on the ship were made from scratch; all fresh & none frozen. Times (& their food) have certainly changed since then.

Decision makers too!

To be honest the free burgers and hot dogs at Mast Grill were high fat varieties and not all that good. Usually overcooked. Sometimes cold. Cheese not melted - just an add on. Yes convenient to the pool. Similar to the burgers and dogs in the Oceanview Cafe which are still there and still free. Just requires a bit more effort for those at the pool. So the Top Deck Burger Bar is an added option to get an actual good burger as you would want it - even though at a price. What is wrong with that? For those that don't want to pay for a better burger go the the Oceanview. Or go have lunch in the MDR on Sea Days where the burgers served are better than Oceanview but still free. For those with Suites the Luminae burger is excellent. Why is every change perceived as negative - a take away? I consider it a nice option to actually have a much better burger for lunch that didn't exist before.

Would love a better burger but NOT for extra fee.....too much of that extra fee stuff on top of a fairly high cruise fare for what we pay in AQ...1 perk only no daily bottled water and no more nice towels ..

they should just improve the burgers,. The ones shown from buffet are gross!

Nice to hear from Andy...hope you report back from your cruise!

Edited by hcat

I don't think people are going to want to spend $12 on lunch for a gourmet burger. That's just a guess.

I believe the hamburger served for Lunch on some days in the Lawn Grill on the Silhouette and Reflection is $10 and it is very good. Perhaps his change is an enhancement of this approach on ships that do not have a Lawn Grill.

It is certainly possible that they may continue to offer free burger option in that location, but it might be difficult to implement.