Room Service charge if you just order coffee?

So if there are two people in a room and both order American breakfast, there is just a $7.95 charge, is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, my understanding is that the charge is per delivery, not per person. If you order breakfast for two, charge would be $7.95.

I plan on ordering the continental breakfast on our upcoming cruise, so I am glad that there is no service charge on it. I have never ordered room service other than at breakfast, and when I ordered the hot breakfast, it was too much food, too many plates, and no place to eat it. Not pleasant at all. So coffee first thing in the morning or a few items off continental is fine with me. However, if they decide to start charging for all deliveries then I will be a very unhappy customer.

I don't believe up charges to room service meals on land based restaurants include a generous tip.

I almost never get room service on land or ship. But every land based room service I've ever seen includes an 18% fee, which is the tip. I absolutely don't tip above and beyond that, especially since the food is already double what it should be (thus doubling the tip).

I do tip pizza guys well though, but they are putting a ton of wear and tear on their personal cars and bare a lot of extra expenses and liability that room service people don't have.

I almost never get room service on land or ship. But every land based room service I've ever seen includes an 18% fee, which is the tip. I absolutely don't tip above and beyond that, especially since the food is already double what it should be (thus doubling the tip).

I do tip pizza guys well though, but they are putting a ton of wear and tear on their personal cars and bare a lot of extra expenses and liability that room service people don't have.

Not uncommon for a hotel to have a room service fee and then a mandatory gratuity. And yes, some people tip on top of that. I don't, but some do. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Not uncommon for a hotel to have a room service fee and then a mandatory gratuity. And yes, some people tip on top of that. I don't, but some do. [emoji6]

Yeah, you are right, I forgot, they double fee you. On top of the way over priced food. I can't even bring myself to order it when I am on an expense account.

Did you tip in the past before the service charge? If not, why not? If so, why not now?

Isn't that a bit like asking 'Did you manually tip before auto-gratuities? If so, why not now?'

The new process has replaced the old.

This is why I just run down to the Promenade and grab a coffee and pastry and run back up again. It takes 10 minutes, max. Then I'm out on my balcony enjoying the view with my hot coffee. Otherwise, I have to plan a room service delivery the night before, which means I have to plan exactly when I wake up (which I hate unless I'm on an excursion). Then, the delivery isn't right on time and I'm waiting around in my PJs and the coffee is delivered cold anyway. AND I have to figure out if a tip should be added on top of a service charge.

No, my understanding is that the charge is per delivery, not per person. If you order breakfast for two, charge would be $7.95.

It is per delivery.

My wife ate the continental breakfast but they still brought 2 full cooked breakfasts which i had to eat lol.

I plan on ordering the continental breakfast on our upcoming cruise, so I am glad that there is no service charge on it. I have never ordered room service other than at breakfast, and when I ordered the hot breakfast, it was too much food, too many plates, and no place to eat it. Not pleasant at all. So coffee first thing in the morning or a few items off continental is fine with me. However, if they decide to start charging for all deliveries then I will be a very unhappy customer.

We sit on balcony,the last time we used the restaurant for breakfast was several years ago.

This is why I just run down to the Promenade and grab a coffee and pastry and run back up again. It takes 10 minutes, max. Then I'm out on my balcony enjoying the view with my hot coffee. Otherwise, I have to plan a room service delivery the night before, which means I have to plan exactly when I wake up (which I hate unless I'm on an excursion). Then, the delivery isn't right on time and I'm waiting around in my PJs and the coffee is delivered cold anyway. AND I have to figure out if a tip should be added on top of a service charge.

If the coffee is cold, just warm it up in the microwave in your closet. [emoji6]

How would I tip when I get the items ordered to be delivered before I get up? For example, if I order pastries delivered since I have an early morning excursion?

More info given this time. On other cruise lines, they would just leave the food/coffee by the door, will they not do that on RCL? I tend to order it so it arrives before I wake up.

You eat food that was left outside your door? Oh you trust other humans waaaaay more than I do.

^ Additionally, they will also phone you before they come to your cabin. Many people use the phone call as the "wake-up call" and prepare for room service arrival. :)

Yep. I use the time between phone and knock to redo the sleep-ponytail and put a bra on lol.

You eat food that was left outside your door? Oh you trust other humans waaaaay more than I do.

Yep. I use the time between phone and knock to redo the sleep-ponytail and put a bra on lol.

On RC if food is left outside your cabin it is swiftly taken away as finished with.

Room service ring about 5 minutes before it arrives so you know it is on its way.

I always give 2-3 dollars tip to waiter,on your ships if it is left outside they get no tip.

It is good manners to give 2-3 dollars tip i always do even with the new room service charge.

Do what you want, but you're giving them more of an expectation that everyone else should tip with the new service room charge. Come to think of it, if I order room service with a $7.95 charge tacked on to it, they'll get a thanks and nothing else.

Do what you want, but you're giving them more of an expectation that everyone else should tip with the new service room charge. Come to think of it, if I order room service with a $7.95 charge tacked on to it, they'll get a thanks and nothing else.

Will you tip at Chops or Giovanni?

Will you tip for The N/C continental breakfast?

Will you give your dining room staff a little something extra at the end of the week?

Will you give your cabin steward a little something extra at end of the week?

All of those folks are part of a service charge or prepaid grats?

How is that different other than you are pissed at Royal?

If someone brings something for me i will tip.

Reading some of the posts on tipping where people seem to leave massive extra tips to cabin stewards,waiters etc i think these have done more to raise crews expectation.

Will you give your dining room staff a little something extra at the end of the week?

Excellent post.

Don't use them, so couldn't say.

Yes - it's not covered by the new additional service charge.

Only if we have the same staff every/most nights. On MTD I wouldn't tip different staff every night.

Probably yeah, as they'll have been looking after us for 14 nights.

Yup.

Because the new charge is explicitly a service charge - and any place that I've ever been that adds a service charge, that is expected to cover the tip.

Tips is always and interesting thread. I don't think even sneaking booze on board carries as much judging of others as this this thread were folks judge on when to tip, how much to tip, if one should tip. For a couple posters here, there is never enough tip, or they tip way too much.

Ah, ho hum.

Burt

Tips is always and interesting thread. I don't think even sneaking booze on board carries as much judging of others as this this thread were folks judge on when to tip, how much to tip, if one should tip. For a couple posters here, there is never enough tip, or they tip way too much.

Ah, ho hum.

Burt

We had a different room service waiter every morning and they were all genuinely happy with the tips i gave.