Curious about how you all remember everything

I am so amazed at the people who answer on here with such specific info. I am beginning to wonder about my own memory. What I'm curious about is do you all write this stuff down? Or really just remember? Or in some cases are you researching and finding the answers that way?

Few recent examples:

Does a specific ship have a magnifying mirror? Someone comments that they do not. (Been on that specific ship twice and did not have any idea.)

How do we get to a specific place at a port stop? No problem, taxi is 8 bucks.

Names of restaurants and bars at the various port stops. I can't even remember what some of the ports look like until I see it for the second time. (I might recognize them when I see them.)

I have started writing some notes when I return. Things like ports, excurions if we took one. Items we specifically liked on a ship. Entertainment, etc.

I do appreciate all the help and answers, just can't figure out how you all retain that level of knowledge.

THANKS ❣️

Part of the joy of travelling is the journal I keep - usually a log of what I did each day plus observations, evaluations, suggestions for next time. I'm not very good at noting down expenses, though!

I have all my old planning logs as well as notes of my experiences. I will put together a photobook from my trips, and include info about specific places and things. For example when my SIL asked me about transportation in Rome I had all that in my planning notes from 4 years earlier. Mainly I keep them so I can look back on the places and experiences that I have so enjoyed (or didn't turn out the way I hoped and wouldn't do again). And if I happen to have the opportunity to go back to a favorite place I have a better idea of just what I want to do. And if I see a question that I know I have the experience to help I will look it up. I don't necessarily remember the answer but I know I had the same question and where to look for the answer. That said, I will also google some info to be sure my answer is current.

Mostly write it down. I keep a daily journal on my tablet from which I write my review. I kind of know the kinds of questions that people ask and try to get the answer onboard (I also try to start a thread inviting questions people would like an answer to and then I come back with, hopefully, the answers).

For many, cruises are significant experiences so the details are easier to remember. I recall a lot more about a Christmas Day 40 years ago than I do about the following December 28th.

Then, many people keep diaries, logs, blogs, notes, etc.

Finally, of course, there are a number of CC posters who clearly just make stuff up rather than fail to offer "information" on a subject of which they know nothing.

I don't know, I've just always remembered everything. My memory has deteriorated with age, but it's still pretty good. I just have a knack for facts and figures. Though there are times when what I remember vs what I don't remember is so wildly random, it makes me laugh.

Example: when my sisters and I go on a trip I can tell you what date, where we're going and how to get there. I can tell you the name of the ship and itinerary, or hotel or vacation rental. Sometimes even the address. I can tell you our daily plan for our upcoming cruise, complete with the names of the sites we will be visiting and where they are. It's all written down, of course. But, I usually don't even have to look at the notes.

But.....we have gotten wherever to find out that I have left behind some key piece of information and I just cannot remember it. Like the access code to get into the gate at the vacation rental. No problem just check my e-mail. UGH, can't remember my password. The struggle is real.

I remember things that are memorable....that's why we don't waste a lot of time taking photos! Did that once, and missed the actual experiences! I figure, if I can't remember, then it wasn't worth remembering, or the money it took to do it!

Now passwords.....that's a different kettle of fish...can't remember them at all....

I have a computer file, called Cruise Packing List which is pretty self-explanatory. This also includes information about choosing cabins and websites with excellent reviews.

Another file contains the name of the ship with copies of all hotel information, the cruise documents, researched information and my review when I get back from my trip.

When I book a cruise, I copy and paste the information to the new cruise file, deleting anything that I don't think I'll need in the future.

This helps me remember to stop mail, tell the CC company we'll be away, stop the newspaper, etc.

Also mark things on my G-Mail Calendar such as the date that luggage tags can be printed, date of final payment, etc.

As mentioned in a previous post, I save all file copies to Dropbox, mark them "off-line" on phone so I can use these without internet access.

Don't know how I'd do this without bringing scads of paper with me as I did in the past.

My memory is random. I sometimes can remember every detail of a minor event' date=' but could not tell you what shoes I'm wearing without looking down to see.[/quote']

LOL! Same here.

I do tend to mostly remember things I've done.

Not sure that's always a good thing. :rolleyes:

I always keep a file on the computer too. Pictures help also. I usually travel with my sisters and I plan and book everything for the entire group. They prefer it and I am a big details person. I have two cruises booked next year so already browsing for info on here. I think my next job maybe a travel agent. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember some details but need to refresh my memory. For example, I was recently talking about that little town on Majorca that we really enjoyed but for the life of me I couldn't remember the name. Quick check confirmed it was Valldemossa.

I would not enjoy keeping logs, journals, or diaries. Seems like just too much work for me and I don't want to work or stress out about things while I'm on vacation. Though I understand why someone would enjoy doing that and will gladly admit that they are likely among the best at providing detailed answers here on CC.

I think a lot of people are quoting from google rather than from experience. Like said by at least one PP, there is also misinformation on CC. Mostly unintentional I'm sure. Some might let personal bias come into play. Another might be because their cruise experience is out-of-date. Finally, some seem to just shoot from the hip.

I create a live thread for each cruise on Holland America Line and post my daily experiences/observations, observations of changes since my last cruise, answer posted questions future cruisers ask me to research while I am on board, seek out Culinary managers to learn about food, take many photos with my point & shoot camera on board (electrical fixtures, toiletries, TV menus/schedules, etc.), and scan as many menus as I can find.

I usually cruise very early in each Alaska/Caribbean season so those on subsequent cruises can use my experiences/information in their cruise planning.

Since others here on CC have made me aware of so much valuable cruise information that I didn't know when I started cruising, I feel an obligation to the CC community to contribute whatever I can discover to the cruise planning of others.

Since others here on CC have made me aware of so much valuable cruise information that I didn't know when I started cruising, I feel an obligation to the CC community to contribute whatever I can discover to the cruise planning of others.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

These are some things I do that helps:

I take a lot of photos of the room we are in and the inside and outside of the ship.

I keep the daily programs from prior cruises as I do cruise maps.

In my case, I also do a blog. I do it so friend and family can keep up with our travels and also so I can refer back to prior cruises.

Keith

I tend to notice things when I'm in new places and remember them. This has been especially true when we've been on cruises. And I've always had a tendency to remember things, especially odd bits, forever. My wife calls me a bottomless fountain of useless knowledge, but she never complains when I can remember details about our cruises that she can't!

I remember a lot of things from our cruises that my family "forgets" until I bring it up. My husband and kids are always amazed at the things I remember. I think it helps that I do all the planning and research. Putting the memory with the plan and comparing my preconceived notions based on research with reality helps makes the details stick better for me.

I buy spiral notebooks & write stuff down. (I stock up on Back to school sales.)

I've got several. Cruise. Camping. Family budget. Things like that.

I started a page w the itinerary, cost, cabin number. Things like that. I've got my own log, plus emails for any specific cruiseline purchases, like excursions.

In planning this cruise I've jotted notes w helpful tips. I've written detailed packing list, since it's closer to sailing. My memory is kinda fuzzy on some things about my only prior cruise in 2010.

A computer spreadsheet is handy, but I guess I'm old school with pen to page.